Mar

Build-a-Bullpen

Much has been made of the state of the Yankees bullpen. There are loads of choices, but realistically there are only two spots to hand out. Mo, Farnsworth, Proctor, Myers and Vizciano can be considered locks. You can bitch about Myers all you want, but I don’t think anything will affect his status as a LOOGY in this pen. Such is life.

Your task: select and justify the final two bullpen spots from the following list.

Karstens, Rasner, Britton, Bruney, Villone, Ohlendorf, Sanchez, Beam, Henn, Bean (just for fun)

Personally, I’m going with Rasner and Britton. There’s no reason to let Britton fester in the minors if he can repeat or even improve on his performance last year. If he doesn’t work out, he still has options, and can be replaced by another member of this list.

I like Rasner because of his performance so far this spring. Okay, so he’s only pitched twice, but he has looked good both times. At 26 years old, it’s getting to the point where he either peforms or he he might not ever. Might as well get a glimpse now.

As for the others: I’d rather see Karstens, Sanchez and Ohlendorf develop as starters at AAA; Bruney has spent much of the spring sick and/or hurt, so he could use some more time to build up strength; Villone was greatly overworked last year, and who knows how long he’ll last this year; I’m not completely sold on Beam as a major league reliever.

Chime in, everyone. The comments are waiting.

Categories : Death by Bullpen

1. Steve A says:

Don’t forget about Colter Bean or Sean Henn who’ve both been decent this spring as well. Maybe Cashman could somehow find a way to trade Farnsworth to open up a spot for somebody in the pen while fetching something useful in return. Backup catcher, anyone?

2. Mike A. says:

Beam, Rasner, Karstens, Ohlendorf and Sanchez all have options and are in need of more minor league seasoning, so I say ship’em to Scranton (a fate worse than death).

Torre likes Villone, so he’s got that going for him, like it or not. I think he’s breaking camp with the Yanks.

So between Bruney and Britton, I’d have to give the edge to Britton because he’s actually healthy. Bruney pitched way over his head last year, and I suspect he’ll be wearing a different uniform by June or July.

Personally, I’d take Rasner over Villone, just so there’s someone the Yanks could throw out there for 4 innings if Pavano or Igawa throw a stinker and not feel bad about it. Plus I think Britton and Vizcaino will make a very good 6th inning duo, and *gasp* possible give Proctor a rest now and then.

3. Joseph P. says:

I left Bean off on purpose because there is no way he’s making the team (see my note in the box score post).

Henn I actually forgot about. But there’s no realistic chance for him to make it. Then again, same goes for Sanchez and likely Ohlendorf. So yeah, I’ll go ahead and add him.

4. Richard C says:

Seems like a pretty good problem to have, too many pitchers. And then, it’s feeling like Clemens might be leaning towards coming to the Yankees. I feel really good about the team this year with all this quality backup pitching. Go Yankees!!!

5. Nathan says:

Gonna go out on a limb here:

Rasner Villone

Britton made the jump from AA to MLB, skipping AAA entirely. I know that he pitched for the O’s, but I’d let him start the year at AAA for a little bit, then bring him up later when another reliever might start struggling. Without Villone, the Yanks will only have 1 lefty, who is the LOOGY Myers. Gotta take one more!

6. KAnst says:

Who still has options, I was under the impression that Rasner and Henn were out of options.

7. Joseph P. says:

KAnst, I thought Rasner was, too. I’m 99 percent sure Henn is. Mike, your expertise is requested.

8. Mike A. says:

I say Rasner has an option left based on this highly scientific theory:

Cash said the reason he grabbed Rasner off waivers was because he had 2 options remaining, where as Jason Anderson had none, so Rasner gave him more “roster flexibility”. Since a player can only use up 1 option a year, and Rasner’s been with the Yanks for only a year, he’d have 1 option remaining right now.

As far as Henn, he was called up in 2005, then again in 2006, which used up 2 of his 3 options, so he should have 1 left.

Options can get tricky, so I could very well be wrong.

9. Andrew says:

Are you assuming Veras and Clippard are out of contention already?

10. Joseph P. says:

Clippard certainly. He’ll be a AAA starter.

I forgot about Veras, but with all of the other options ahead of him, I don’t think he has a chance.