Apr

Curt Schilling validates my opinion

I’ve been saying that the cold weather, the bone-chilling cold weather we’ve had, isn’t good for pitching in particular. I think Phil Hughessubpar start tonight had a lot to do with the weather. And words from the keyboard of Curt Schilling, of all people, support my theory. Said Curt earlier this week: “I hate cold weather from a feel standpoint.” As I’ve said, in the cold, pitchers have no feel for their pitches. Don’t judge one bad Phil Hughes start because it was 40 degrees with a threat of snow. Baseball is a warm weather sport for a reason.

Categories : Asides

1. mehmattski says:

So then what is the explanation for his performance in the April 6 game, also in Scranton? It was colder last week, wasn’t it? And he managed 6 K in 5 IP. I think it’s a little overanalysis: he’s a 20 year old pitcher against 25 year old hitters, and he’s going to take some time to adjust, just like he did in Tampa, just like he did in Trenton.

My debut pick: Saturday, June 9 versus the Pirates. Low pressure.

2. Ben says:

I think the lesson we should here is that off-days for the Yanks make us overanalyze their stud young pitches. Good call there, mehmattski.

3. b/c says:

Agreed, he will struggle for a month and then dominate as he did in Trenton last year.

4. yankz says:

He better get used to it…it’s cold in October.

5. Ben says:

He better get used to it…it’s cold in October.

It ain’t this cold in October.

6. Travis G. says:

Why didn’t Richmond’s pitchers have as much trouble with the weather?

7. Ben says:

Why didn’t Richmond’s pitchers have as much trouble with the weather?

He did. Trey Hodges threw just 3.2 innings, throwing 80 pitches and only 42 of them for strikes. That’s hardly a good outing. The S/W-B Yanks just couldn’t put anything together.

8. Travis G. says:

isn’t there a big difference between 0 r and 5? if it was 5 er to 2-3 for SWB, i’d understand, but Richmond’s pitchers didn’t allow ANY runs. if you’re saying it was just one of those night’s for SWB’s hitters, i’ll take your word for it.