Technical difficulties on Draft Day 2 years in a row. Someone upstairs doesn’t like me.
Anywho, Patrick has a rundown of today’s Yankee picks, here’s some of my quick thoughts:
- Damon Sublett (7th round) is a better pitcher than second baseman. He’s got one of the best curves in the whole draft class.
- Carmen Angelini (10th) is an absolutely fantastic pick … if they can sign him away from Rice.
- Be sure to ask Joe what school Dave Williams (15th round) attended…
- Ryan Zink (17th) is another very nick pick. He was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder in last year’s draft, but he blew out his elbow and needed Tommy John surgery in mid-season. He returned to UofI-C for his senior year and had a decent year, but he was still in the process of finding his mechanics after surgery.
- Chris Carpenter (18th) is a big time steal. He’s had medical troubles (TJ and a separate elbow surgery to clean out scar tissue) and his control bites (31-30 K/BB ratio this year in some-40-odd innings), but a guy who throws 98 mph gas in the 18th round? There’s no argument against it.
- Taylor Holiday (19th) isn’t the most talented guy in the world, but he’s awesome. Like running into a wall to make a catch awesome. Fun guy to watch.
- Greg Peavey (24th) was an excitingÂ pick. He’s going to be a VERY tough sign andÂ would probably be better off with 3 years of college ball under his belt, but if the Yanks can sign him, man would that be sweet.
- Brandon Laird (27th) is a masher in the truest sense of the word: .392-.446-.672 with 24 doubles, 11 homers, 24 walks and only 13 strikeouts in 52 games for the Chargers.
So if the Yanks sign the quartet of Andrew Brackman-Brad Suttle-Chris Carpenter-Greg Peavey, they could be looking at spending $15M right there. Throw in Angelini and it could be $16M. On 5 players! I know they’re the Yanks, but that is a ridiculous amount. My bet is they end up with 3 of the 5 (Brackman, Suttle, Carpenter).
The big names left out their are Nick Tepesch and Evan Danieli; top 2-3 round talents out of high schoolÂ with exorbitant bonus demands that will more than likely end up in college. The Sawx just popped Yasmani Grandal (another guy in the same situation),