Jul

Joba Chamberlain & Jose Tabata … ’nuff said

There’s a devilish little rumor running around the interweb saying that the Yanks have signed 10th round pick Carmen Angelini (late sandwich/early second rounder based on talent), but MLB is forcing them to delay the announcement because the signing bonus far exceeds slot recommendations (this is very typical).

I have no confirmation of this whatsoever, and I’m actually kinda hoping someone out there knows what’s up.

Triple-A Scranton (4-3 loss to Ottawa, walk-off style)
Juan Francia: 3 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI – if it’s possible to quietly hit .356, he’s doin’ it…
Kevin Reese: 1 for 4, 1 3B, 1 RBI
Shelley Duncan: 0 for 4, 1 K – in other news, well…um…Andy Phillips is actually starting to hit the ball
Eric Duncan: 0 for 4, 1 E (throwing)
Bronson Sardinha: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 E (fielding)
Tyler Clippard: 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 3-13 GB/FB – eh, I guess it’s improvement
Ben Kozlowski: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K – after being the team’s horse the first half of the year, he got in “only” 10.1 IP in June

Double-A Trenton (2-0 win over Harrisburg)
Brett Gardner: 1 for 3, 1 BB, 2 K – on base 11 times in his last 5 games
Juan Miranda: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI – 6 for his last 14 with a double, triple and homer
Aarom Baldiris: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 E (throwing)
rest of lineup: combined 0 for 18, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 5 K
Joba: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 12 K, 5-1 GB/FB – outpitched the Nats’ top prospect…that’s 48 K in 27.2 Double-A innings
Tim Lavigne: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K

High-A Tampa (3-1 win over Clearwater)
Reegie Corona: 2 for 6, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
Austin Jackson: 1 for 3, 2 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 SB - 2 walks and no strikeouts??? wooooooooooow
Jose Tabata: 4 for 6, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB - 17 for his last 43 (.395)
Edwar “the other Edwar” Gonzalez: 3 for 6, 2 R, 1 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI – I do believe 6 steaks is a DotF record
Marcos Vechionacci: 1 for 3, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K
Tim Battle: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI
Frankie Cervelli: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB
Kevin Russo: 3 for 5, 3 R, 1 E (throwing) – 13 for his last 29 (.448)
Phil Coke: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
David Robertson: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K – is it too early to start thinking Trenton?

Low-A Charleston (8-6 loss to Rome)
James Cooper: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K
Seth Fortenberry: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K – 3 for his last 31
Josue Calzado: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI
Joe Muich & Kevin Smith: both 2 for 4 – Muich doubled, scored a run, drove in another and committed a fielding error
Grant Duff: 6 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 9-4 GB/FB, 1 E (throwing)
Jon Hovis: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 3-1 GB/FB – it’s not often he blows a save…

Short Season Staten Island (5-4 win over Hudson Valley)
Taylor Holiday, Luis Nunez & Damon Sublett: all 1 for 4 – Holiday got caught stealing
Isaiah Howes: 0 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Matt Morris: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI – still hasn’t walked as a pro
Jose Gil: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
Gaby Medina: 3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1 HB, 1 Balk – 15 hits allowed in his last 13.2 IP after 5-inning 1-hitter on Opening Day
Nick Chigges: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 3-7 GB/FB – dude, this guy started yesterday‘s game…seriously!

Rookie GCL Yanks were rained out. No word on a makeup date.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. b/c says:

It’s true it’s just that Bud likes screwing us over so he won’t release him to play.

2. C-Note says:

A Glorious night for the Empire All Around…

#1- EDWAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #2- JoBA’s 12K’s & 1 walk
    #3 Bobby A & CaNO looking good 2 nites
    #4 the rumour about 2007 10th round pick Carmen Angelini signing(it’s all over the net)
    #5 Juan Miranda going deep
    #6 Action Jackson & Tabata putting up sick number together
    #7 Robertson being Robertson
    #8 brett gardner continues good streach
    #9- Jeter’s catch & Jorge’s sort of triple(2 base error but was still kool to watch)
    #10- A-Rod didn’t blow out his hammy yesterday

and FREAKIN EDWAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

other than A-rod homer off of palpabon this is my favorite day of the season so far, great day for the empire

yea, hope Joe can start to ‘trust’ edwar sooner than later…

3. C-Note says:

i don’t think it’s too early to start thinking trenton for Robertson, if he keeps blasting through hitters you keep advancing him till he gets challenged

4. ShawnT says:

is joba on a pitch count???

5. Motown Yankees Fan says:

Was Edwar as great as he looked to me in the quick little YES summary. OMG I hope this isn’t another instance where the team looks great only to break my heart again (you know, like loving a heroin addict?). And am I remembering this wrong or did PeteAbe say Wang wasn’t doing well tonight?

6. b/c says:

It’s no rumour. Angelini is signed.

7. ShawnT says:

you guys got any scouting report on Angelini i couldnt find him on the milb draft coverage

8. Barry says:

when do you think joba makes his debut, 08 or 09

9. Malcard89 says:

hey mike, since joba dominated today, this is as good a time to bring this up as any: would u consider changing the joba watch pic back to him roaring? it makes him look more feirce, almost like he’s about to breathe fire, lol. and since the yankees have no one like that at the major league level (or someone that intimidatingly big), it can serve as a good reminder of the fire he’ll bring once he makes it to the show.

10. ShawnT says:

Yeah bring back the old picture, this one makes him look fat and confused about life, the oher one make him look like Champion

11. NYFan50 says:

I agree with the pic comments. The other pic was great.

12. Mike Plugh says:

One question….

If Edwar Gonzalez had 6 RBI, how was the final score 3-1? I’m guessing it was 6-1?

Sweet on everything else. Let’s get on an organization-wide roll and get back to being the Yankees.

13. Mike Plugh says:

Got it….score was 13-2. Nice.

14. Mike Plugh says:

I vote against the old Joba picture. He needs to be wearing a Yankee hat. If there’s a good pic of him in the Thunder cap, I’d go with that one.

15. Yankee Fan in Chicago says:

Here’s how the Angelini negotiations went down:

Angelini — I can’t sign w/ y’all, Jeter’ll be holding down my position for the next 8 years, blocking me.

Yankees — We’ve put together some film of Jeter fielding.

Angelini — Where do I sign.

16. [...] River Ave. Blues is the place for daily Yankee Minor League Reports. [...]

17. C-Note says:

sometimes a guy like Aaron Small comes along out of nowhere to save your season, maybe this year it’s Edwar

18. C-Note says:

yes, JoBA need to be wearing a Yankee hat in the Pic but there has to be a better one out there than that… it’s true, he really does look confused

19. Mac says:

I do agree that the picture very much makes him look like a confused four year old. Not a guy who can throw freakin’ gas.

20. Mike Plugh says:

Who dares to suggest that Joba Chamberlain could wear any expression other than that of a virile, fear-inducing, Ragnarök? Joba is King. Long live Joba!!

21. Ben says:

I found a picture of Joba in his Trenton uniform. As you all can see, it is far from pretty. We may need to do a new poll on Thursday…

22. C-Note says:

it’s better than than the last one… like a guy your having a beer with and it’s a swell time, but if you piss him off he’ll kick the shit out of someone- a fella you wanna have on your side of a brawl

Another site that not only Angelini, but Chase Weems is signed as well

23. C-Note says:

read that Phil hughes first rehab start will be Monday

24. Luddy Bazcej says:

joba looks like an 80′s rapper with his hat askew there. maybe you can photoshop on a huge clock necklace a la flavor flav.

any chance joba makes an appearance in the majors in 2007?

25. Mike NYY says:

read that Phil hughes first rehab start will be Monday

Awesome

Great news all around

26. Mike Plugh says:

I threw up a pic I found at Scout.com at COH. I think it’s a good one.

27. The Scout says:

Excellent as Robertson’s numbers have been, at some point I’d like to see him perform in the closer spot. Tha’ts the acid test for a reliever, after all. I understand the Yankees want him to have regular work, two inning stints, and with a closer you can’t guarantee that. But if he moves to Trenton, I hope he gets in there at the end of the game when a pitcher needs to shut the door.

28. Mike A. says:

Eh, the score was 13-2, not 3-1. I’m bound to make a mistake here or there running through so many numbers. My bad.

Good news on Angelini if true, I’m about 95% confident that he did sign, and that’ll bump up to 100% when I see something in BA, Pinstripes Plus or something like that. I already wrote about how Oppenheimer likes to take college players in the draft, but when he does take a high schooler, he takes a guy with serious talent and considerable upside (CJ Henry, A-Jax, Betances, Angelini, Romine, McAllister, etc).

Personally, this was the Joba pic I wanted to go with, but I remember having a little pow wow with Ben where we agreed that we should have a pic of him in a Yankee hat. I’ll do some digging then throw up a poll on Thursday to see what pic the people like best.

I’m not liking the fact that a Red Sox blog stole my “Down on the Farm” moniker for their minor league report, especially since my DotF predates theirs by, I dunno, a year.

29. Mike A. says:

I guess Joba is the hot topic, but am I the only one astonished/amazed that Nick Chigges threw 5 innings in relief for Staten Island the day after making a 3 inning start???

30. JP says:

I was fiending for some video of yesterdays game… this helped feed the addiction

31. Malcard89 says:

if there’s a poll, i would vote for the nebraska-roaring pic. i could just imagine the new yankee stadium feeding off his energy after a 7 inning, 8 strikeout performance.

32. C-Note says:

f*ck Buchholz, JoBA is da MAn

33. Zack says:

I’m gonna have to put my vote in for Mike P’s at COH. The Trenton pic makes him look like a smug punk…

34. dan says:

holy shit. is 34 (now 35) responses an RAB record? i almost puked when i saw joba’s line, thats how nasty and disgusting it is

35. [...] couple of days ago there was a nice little discussion about which picture of Yankees pitching prospect Joba Chamberlain people preferred for the Joba [...]

36. Moses says:

I don’t know, that new pick of Joba reminds me of C.C. Sabathia–Baby Huey with the cap askew–which, frankly, is kind of a good thing.