Aug

Holy Joba

1 IP, 1 H, 3 K, one pitch clocked at 100 MPH. That’s 14 strike outs in 8 IP.

DAMN.

Categories : Asides

1. Marc says:

imagine the heat that the yanks front office will hear if he hurts himself next year starting. he just seems like a born-closer.. then again.. its 8 innings into his big league career.

2. dan says:

american league, commence crapping.

3. sam says:

yeah but vlad had a nice foul ball off him.

just kidding….

4. kris says:

Jaba: Ma miku buki na Rally Monkey bala. Je kanas nowan!!!
    (Jaba: “My favorite food is… meat. Give me some more!!!”)

5. Zack says:

I would much rather Joba get the chance to strike out Vlad three times in a game then not even even have that chance in the 9th. A born closer is a guy who has one dominant pitch. Joba has two, he belongs as a starter…

6. dan says:

not to mention a pretty good curve and a show-me changeup. its much more efficient to buy a closer and start joba than it is to buy a starter and use joba to close.

7. Marc says:

guess we’re waitin on melancon… heard his rehab is going well. lol

8. Wordekemper = Wizard says:

I’ve never wanted Joba to stay in the closer/set-up role, but something just got me thinking. Wait, I’m laughing, that Joba-talk is ALWAYS funny. ok, so there’s this concern of something like 130 IP being a limit. I get that. I agree with it. But, and maybe many have said this countless times in the million Joba blogs out there, but what is next year’s total supposed to be? Or what is Phil’s now? (I know this is moot with his injuries and all, for this year anyway)
    Seems like if we want him to be in the rotation, we’re hoping for about 210, right? I guess we can’t assume he’ll get there…and this is probably an age-old question. But it’s not like we can convert him to being a set-up man 3/4 of the way into next season…
    Maybe that’s a door for Kennedy or Horne, McCutchen even, if Mussina hasn’t already provided one.

9. steve says:

I’ve always wondered that as well wordekemper … maybe have him start in the minors and cap him off for april and part of may ? then bring him up … hughes needs to pitch in hawaii this summer to get some more innings in … but thats a great questions if we’re counting on phil and joba to be in the rotation next year they both shouldn’t pitch more than 170 innings … but a full season (injury free) plus the postseason is like 230 innings … who knows.

10. steve says:

* i meant for phil to pitch in hawaii for the winter… doh

11. ShawnT says:

You cannot seriously feel that a guy with as much talent as Joba being closer. This guyis going to get double didgit K’s on a consistant bases,Zacks right closers dont have two dominant pitchers like joba has

12. Relaunch says:

Whats up with Joba giving up a hit?

13. Joseph P. says:

If just one of Cox/Sanchez/Melancon works out, we won’t even need Joba as a closer.

14. Freddy says:

LOL @ Relaunch.

Blasphemy!

15. tony from the bronx says:

melancon will be the yankee closer everything being equal in 2009-2010 also does anybody notice how mant balls get past posoda not even balls in the dirt balls he just misses i”not sure but we probably lead the league in wild pitches and pass balls cashman has to be careful in what he gives posada as a FA
    at the end of the year there arent many options but you just cant give him what he wants coming off a career year

16. RJ - Ct says:

Is there anywhere, for free, that i could possibly see Joba’s inning pitched? I can only find video of him striking out Vlad.

17. dan says:

RJ, i assume you mean career innings….

18. steve (different one) says:

“I’ve always wondered that as well wordekemper … maybe have him start in the minors and cap him off for april and part of may ? then bring him up ”

i am assuming that this is the plan.

19. steve (different one) says:

“Is there anywhere, for free, that i could possibly see Joba’s inning pitched? ”

i’m sorry, but we just don’t have the technology yet to capture his pitches on video. maybe by 2010.

20. Mike A. says:

RJ-Ct
    You can sign up for a monthly pass of mlb.tv at mlb.com for $15 and watch the archived version. I’m sure YES will have an encore showing of game something today as well.

21. Adam A says:

I’d bet that the next closer of the Yankees will either be a failed starter (potentially Humberto, Horne, Garcia) or just a free agent of some sort.

22. Dude says:

Pinstripes Plus has Melancon throwing BP in Tampa. he could be next year’s Joba… Well, almost.

23. Joseph says:

Where can I find that clip of Joba striking out Vlad?