Sep

Game 154: Just imagine playing today

It’s dark and rainy. The Yanks just played a marathon of a game and lost last night. The only guy I can imagine wanting to be here today is Phil Hughes, who was announced as the starter some time in the past 12 hours. Honestly, I think it’s for the best. I’m concerned about IPK surely, but Hughes should be going every fifth day. He’s the one who’s short on innings; Moose, Rocket, and Pettitte are the ones who could stand for an extra day off over the next week. The Yanks magic number is 5, and I’d imagine that over the next nine games there will be a combination of five Yankees wins or Detroit losses.

We’re in a rain delay right now. According to Pete Abraham, Rocket will be able to go Monday. That should help, since he can go again on Saturday, lining him up with plenty of rest to pitch Game 3 of the ALDS. Indulge me while I go through a projected/ideal rotation, assuming IPK can go on Tuesday:

9/22: Hughes
9/23: Moose
9/24: Rocket
9/25: IPK
9/26: Wang (last start of season)
9/27: Pettitte (last start of season)
9/28: Hughes
9/29: Rocket
9/30: IPK

The ALDS begins on October 3 or 4, so here’s what we’d have:

Game 1: Wang (6 or 7 days’ rest)
Game 2: Pettitte (7 or 8 days’ rest)
Game 3: Rocket (7 or 8 days’ rest, with the off-day)

We’re still in a rain delay. No word on a start time. Here’s the lineup:

1. Melky Cabrera, CF — I despise him in the leadoff spot
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Bobby Abreu, RF
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Hideki Matsui, LF
6. Jorge Posada, C
7. Jason Giambi, DH
8. Robinson Cano, 2B
9. Doug Mientkiewicz, 1B

And on the mound, No. 65, Phil Hughes.

P.S. So I’m at a recording studio right now with my roommate, who is working on new album with his band. It feels appropriate to then post this picture of a guitar I really want to own:

If you want to check out his band’s music, you can check out this YouTube video. Yes, someone created a Guitar Hero track of one of their songs:

The things that amuse us during rain delays.

Update: 2:30 is the word on the street.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Ben K. says:

Melky Cabrera, 3 for his last 38 with 4 walks and 1 run scored. Your leadoff hitter.

2. NYFan50 says:

Given Wang’s home/road splits they might want him starting game 3 instead of game 1 (assuming the Yankees start the series on the road).

• Joseph P. says:

Disagree. Gotta go with your best guys, splits be damned.

• NYFan50 says:

It’s worth noting that this isn’t an aberration. His home/road splits are consistent for 2005, 2006 and 2007. He pitches significantly better at home. I’m not saying he shouldn’t go in game 1. There aren’t that many guys I have confidence in matching up against Sabathia or Lackey. But the splits are disconcerting and certainly worth considering, in my opinion.

• John says:

But is there a reason for it? Park dimensions shouldn’t matter that much to a groundball pitcher…
          I agree with Joe. Wang starts game one (or game two if you want Pettitte first).

• NYFan50 says:

I don’t know. Maybe the Yanks are watering down the infield. Maybe the grass is longer. I really have no idea. But that’s a lot of innings that say the same thing – he’s much better at home, for whatever reason.

3. Joe says:

For those of you on the west coast who are not able to watch the game on any baseball package I got a treat for you. Go to sopcast and load a program called Uusee, I’m currently watching the game in Tawainese, but I’ll take what I can get. It’s much funnier in Tawainese anyway.

4. Brian says:

holy john-ford griffin sighting! buster olney reports that john and ford in one name, hyphenated, is a perplexing fit, probably associated with some familial explanation.

5. Brian says:

edwar doesn’t deserve a spot in my opinion; i’m tired of hoping he’ll be good and making excuses. i should be grilling veras too obviously, but edwar’s reprieve is way over.

• Mac says:

Edwar is a good guy to have in the bullpen since he can be incredibly effective when used intelligently. He is not, by any means, the next every day scottie, and the fact that he is being used as such is just ridiculous. Idiotic. Ugh.

6. Joseph P. says:

We’re not losing this game, bullpen meltdown or not.

7. Mike A. says:

And why exactly did Ohlendorf have to come out of this game?

8. dan says:

why does torre use ohlendorf for one batter and veras for 8?

9. dan says:

Why does Torre use Ohlendorf for one batter and Veras for 8? According to Buster, bullpen management is not a good fit for Joe Torre, and I concur.

10. Joseph P. says:

Veras has thrown 103 major league pitches this year, 54 of which have been for strikes. I think it’s time to stop using him.

Ohlendorf has thrown 38 pitches, 23 for strikes. I think it’s time to start using him more.

11. Mike A. says:

Let’s see how Melky fucks this up now.

12. Mike A. says:

God, Mike Kay is going into his “In a season of big hits…” schpeel again…

13. Mike A. says:

So this is what A-Rod in a slump looks like huh?

14. Joseph P. says:

UNCLUTCH MOTHERFUCKER! What’s with this single shit?

15. Joe says:

In an effort to stabalize what has been a ridiculously up and down game Torre opts for the soothing hand of Kyle Farnsworth

16. Joseph P. says:

Great. Way to go, Kyle. You suck.

17. Joseph P. says:

Kei Igawa? Kill me now.

18. Mike A. says:

Every time I have to bare witness to one of these 4 hour games, I die a little inside.

19. Mike A. says:

I know there’s already 2 outs, but Melk will find a way to GIDP here.

20. Joseph P. says:

Only Melky can tie the game and simultaneously piss me the fuck off.

Why wasn’t Damon hitting there? Yeah, maybe a little second-guessing, but I was definitely thinking it before the AB.

21. Joe says:

Melk does have 4 rbi’s, though I’m not quite sure how in the hell he was given a single on a ball that was clearly an error.

22. Mike A. says:

So if the Yanks don’t score in the bottom of the 9th, who pitches the 10th?

Mighty Matt? Clippard? Chase Wright? Sean Henn? Bruney?

23. Joe says:

What also needs to be mentioned is that Toronto is without Overbay, Glaus, and Wells, yet put up 11 runs

24. Ben K. says:

Jeff Karstens lives.

25. Mike A. says:

How did Jeff Karstens go from 2-seamer/curveball guy to junkballer in less than 2 years? Man he look like crap.

26. Mike A. says:

I give Melk alot of shit, but I have to say, he played that ball beautifully off the wall.

27. Joseph P. says:

Please Robbie. Oh please oh please.

28. dan says:

MELKY! can you please stop ripping on him now?

29. Joseph P. says:

I absolve you, Melky.

30. C-Note says:

yea 4 melky

31. mg says:

Yowsers! I feel like i’ve been put through the ringer. i’m dreading getting up tomorrow to go watch. I can’t imagine playing tomorrow.
    On top of that our A team was facing the second (or even third) string of a bad team today. Hopefully we look sharper in October….

32. brxbmrs says:

The only bad thing about this site is your collective view on Melky – its impatient and short sighted to say the least.

For guys who have such a man crush on a good but hardly inspiring Phil Hughes, its really surprising.

BTW, Matsui put on a clinic today on how NOT to play LF – he is an absolute abomination – couple of cheap hits aint worth watching him continue to crumble for the next two years at 13 mil per. God forbid anyone should really mention that.

Or that Damon can’t play the field on a regular basis, or that Abreu can continue to come up small with the bat and in the field.

But hey, those guys are the future – not Melk.

Check the stats, Melk slumped for the whole month yet he has 2 more RBI’s than Ichiro and 2 less than 55 mil Gary Mathews and 3 less than Granderson.

• Jeterismyhomeboy says:

More RBI than Ichiro really isn’t an accomplishment, considering that he’s a leadoff hitter. Close to Gary Matthews is commendable, but Granderson is the real kicker, especially considering the season that he’s putting together. RBI is obviously not a great way to evaluate talent, though, since it depends so much on teammates and position in the batting order. Melky is special because he’s putting up good numbers with great defense at a young age (22/23).

I like Melky. He has actual defense in the outfield, which I think Yankee fans have forgotten about. He’s got a solid, not superstar, bat, and he can contribute with speed. He covers a lot of ground, and while he’ll never make an All-Star team, he’s the kind of role player the Yanks can squeeze in between the superstars. Moreover, he’s putting out some really nice production out of a premiere defensive position, which is uncommon. And he’s cheap. And 23 years old. Now all he has to do is stop sliding into 1st.

• brxbmrs says:

The RBI’s are significant as Melk is usually batting 9th – and if you look at his situational stats, his numbers were as good or better than Matsui’s – which is where I really agree with your point of noting that RBI’s are greatly affected by the guys around you – IOW, Matsui would have alot less on any other team that did not have 3 guys in front of him with OBP’s of around .400 and a guy named Posada behind him.

It is also telling about Ichiro in that he is a singles hitter and probably not worth anywhere near the 18 mil a year for 5 that The M’s gave him.

Its too early to tell anything about Melk, except that he is already an everyday ml Cfer – in conjunction with the RBI’s take into account where he falls in the standings defensively – in the top 3-5 in mlb in RF and ZR and with last nights assist – should be leading mlb (or close) in that category.

Up until his recent slump, he was also in the top ten for cfers in Ba, ops, rbi – that was NEVER mentioned – especially here.

Could Melk be an All-Star someday? I don’t think so, but the best thing about being 23 and making significant contributions in the Bronx is that anything can happen. The bottom line is if Melk does develop more power (its very possible) – that is the only thing missing from his game.

BTW, you hit on a huge pet peeve of mine when you postulate that many fans forget about his defense – that’s exactly right b\c that stuff never shows up in a box score and is rarely mentioned prominently by writers or talking heads b\c those stats are not as obvious nor as sexy – the only thing they really do is define championship teams.

33. Jeterismyhomeboy says:

Oh, I’ve been reading you guys for ages, btw. You’re excellent, and I try to make a point of stopping by every day to see what else you’ve written.