Oct

Ohlendorf coughs it up late

AzFL Rising Stars Showcase (East beats West 3-2 in 10 innings)
Ross Ohlendorf: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 3-0 GB/FB – blew the save in the 9th…ouchie

HWB Honolulu (16-6 win over North Shore)
Austin Jackson: 3 for 6, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K – 5 of his last 7 hits have gone for extras
Anthony Claggett: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 0-4 GB/FB

Update by JP: It was just reported that Kevin Whelan left the AFL due to a “sore arm”. Hopefully it’s just a precaution.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Mike R. says:

With Ohlendorf I look more at that gb-fb ratio than the ER, and that 3-0 looks prety good.

A-Jax just keeps impressing. I keep thinking he will level out, but he seems to be primed for a breakout at Trenton next year. I am excited to see it.

2. Jamal G. says:

So is Ohlendorf officially a RP for the rest of his career or is his absence from the starting rotation just temporary?

3. Ivan says:

I think Ohlendorf is a releiver in my opinion. Nevertheless, Ohlendorf can be a very reliever though. I mean his GB-FB is great and he has a good fastball with movement and throws strikes as well. I mean he can find consistent breaking pitch, you mean to tell me can;t be a big time set up man for the yankees like Rafael Betancourt type for us or scott shields.

4. Ivan says:

Could somebody what the plan for Mark Melancon?

• Jamal G. says:

All I know about Melancon is that he was charged with being the heir apparent to Mariano Rivera, because he has the best stuff and was believed to be the #1 reliever coming out of the 2006 draft. He fell to the Yanks because of elbow issues which later turned into TJ surgery causing him to miss the 2007 campaign. He has been making great strides since the operation on 10/31/2006.

Here’s a brief article on his progress from scout.com…

Date: Aug 20, 2007

It has been nearly ten months since Mark Melancon had Tommy John surgery last Halloween. Working his way back and finally throwing bullpen sessions at the Yankees minor league complex, he’s inching his way closer to game action and he says he feels like he has a brand new arm.

5. Jamal G. says:

I do agree with Ohlendorf in the pen because his velocity will stay in the mid-upper 90s as a result. Just wanted to know if that was the final plan on him.

6. Travis G. says:

hopefully Melancon will begin 2008 primed to go. hopefully he can pull a Joba-like rise to the Bronx (although doubtful). even making it to Trenton would be a success considering all the time he’s missed.