Nov

A-Rod and the weird analogies

According to the Yanks’ $275-million man, his negotiations with the Bombers are “in the bottom of the fifth.” I have no idea what that means. The starting pitcher is beginning to tire? The bullpen is getting ready? The game is rushing to a conclusion? The two parties are a little bit more than halfway there? Strange metaphor there, Alex.

Categories : Asides

1. E-ROC says:

That is a really strange quote from a very complicated guy. :)

2. mehmattski says:

I think he’s referring to the bottom of a fifth of Jack Daniels. And not that pussy green label shit, black label all the way.

3. inman says:

i think it means the yanks are already up 9-2 and he’s now ready to hit a 3 run jack to earn his money

4. Travis G. says:

good. so there’s still a chance for the Yanks to take it back. not the whole thing, but how about a still extremely generous 8-year offer instead of a decade?

5. barry says:

So I’m not the only one who read this and said, what the fuck alex I thought we we’re winning in the top of the 9th at home.

6. LiveFromNewYork says:

I had the same reaction to that quote. I also thought we were winning in the top of the 9th at home. Could it be that Alex just doesn’t know baseball? They tell him to go out and try to hit or catch that round white object?

7. Brian says:

In the interview he was talking about how he couldn’t comment on the specifics of the contract with Seth Everett, how he was “in the bottom of the fifth” which is, what, the “middle” of it. It’s not that weird. When isolated it makes zero sense, but don’t waste time on it.

8. Nick-YF says:

I thought it meant that they were half an inning away from it becoming official.

9. Don says:

Yea, I bet this means if it rainsit will still be official and the yanks will have to deal with the outcome… what a freak

10. Phil says:

Are we home or away? Who’s pitching? Dammit, Alex – Explain!

11. Mark says:

All he means is that its just over 50% done… What’s wrong with that? I don’t get the constant criticism over meaningless stuff. If he said…. we are 5/9 done with this deal, would you still make it a big deal? What about 55%? What about just over cos(Pi/3)x100 done?

12. Jersey says:

He never provides analogies when it matters.

13. dan says:

I think he’s standing on the mound with Girardi as he’s taking the ball from Mussina. Yea, that must be what he means

14. Brian says:

Wow, Jersey and Dan. I think–wait–yeah, I soiled myself.

15. waswhining says:

Nick-YF, good post, I hadn’t thought of that.