Nov

Yanks add some folks to the 40-man

Thrillingly enough, the Yanks made a move today. They signed 28-year-old Scott Patterson to a Major League contract and added him and three others to the 40-man roster. Those others are Francisco Cervelli, Jeff Marquez and Steven White. How exciting.

Update by Mike: Because they were not added to the 40-man yesterday, Justin Christian, Mike Gardner, Steven Jackson, PJ Pilittere and Marcos Vechionacci are all eligible for the Rule V draft. There are quite a few other players eligible, but these are the guys that actually have a chance of being selected. I can realistically see the first 4 being selected, but it would be tough for a team to keep Vech on the 25 man ML roster all season.

Another Update by Mike: Eric Duncan is also eligible for the Rule V draft. For some reason I thought he was only 17 when he was drafted, which would make him ineligible this year, but he was in fact 18, so he’s eligible. I can see a club like the Astros, Orioles or Marlins taking a chance on him.

Categories : Asides

1. Sean McNally says:

Someone somewhere wondered why its taking so long for Posada, A-Rod and Mo to sign – i see non of them on the 40-man, is this a ploy to sneak a few guys through the Rule V draft?

• Ben K. says:

I’m thinking it is. The A-Rod deal I believe is simply a matter of working out the terms on the historical achievement clause so that it passes muster with Selig and Company. But I think the Rivera and Posada deals are held up for the Rule V draft. Sneaky, sneaky.

2. NC Saint says:

In the meantime, without those guys signed, the depth chart (listed alongside the 40 man roster) is somewhat entertaining. At catcher we have… no one. But the real treat is our listed closer. I won’t ruin the surprise, but his first name is Kyle and he can’t pitch.

3. Tom says:

Wouldn’t the Yankees be required to DFA some people after the Rule V draft then, to make room for Po, Mo, and Arod? So wouldn’t they technically have a chance to lose them anyway?

4. NC Saint says:

On a more serious note, what’s the story with getting people back off the roster once A-Rod, Mo, Po, and Molina are official? Who can we take off without losing altogether, and how does that work? Does it involve burning an option? Would ritually sacrificing Brian Bruney help? Can we do it anyway?

5. NC Saint says:

Ah, I see my question has already been asked, more coherently.

6. barry says:

This could get scandalous.

7. E-ROC says:

I wonder if we could get away with it.

8. E-ROC says:

And seeing that CL next to Farns on the depth chart makes chuckle a little and cry a lot more because of the mere thought that becoming true.

9. A non mouse says:

Selig & company won’t stand for this. This might get ugly

10. mehmattski says:

So does this mean the end of the line for Eric Duncan? I mean, isn’t there one team out there willing to put Duncan on the 25 man roster next year? Or do the Yankees simply think he’s not worth it?

11. I think duncan should really be protected–he is the Yankee’s future 1b guy and could play 3rd when arod is older…please! put him on the 40 man!

12. Jason says:

What is the deadline for the roster to be set? There have been rumors of Farns being traded and Pavano released.

13. [...] deadline for teams to protect players on 40-man roster was this past Tuesday, and the Yanks choose to protect three players: C Frankie Cervelli, and RHPs Jeff Marquez & Steven White. The Yanks finagled the system a bit [...]