Dec

Angels in on Santana

Word on the street is that the Angels have offered up Brandon Wood and Jered Weaver for Santana. Not a bad starting point. We’ll see if this develops any further. At the very least, it maintains more than one player in the Santana Sweepstakes.

Categories : Asides

1. nmc says:

Wood is good, but I think Weaver is no longer the stud everyone assumed he’d be. He definitely cooled off after he had been around the league a few times and people got used to his stuff.

2. zack says:

God I thought I would never find myself rooting fervently for the Angels to trade for someone like Santana, but Johan on the Angels isn’t going to tip the balance or anything…

3. kunaldo says:

anyone else feel like this further proves that the boston deal is BS?

4. NYFan50 says:

Better the Angels than the Red Sox.

5. Dimaggio5 says:

Go Halos! (did I just say that?) Man what an offseason so far! lol

6. Bo says:

I’ve never believed the Sox were real players in this.

If they were they would just offer Ellsbury and Lester.

7. Ron says:

How does Mike A. rate Brandon Wood? And how far away from the majors is he?

• Mike A. says:

Wood was in the majors for a bit last year, so he’s right on the cusp. He’s one of the 10-15 best prospects in the game, but a bit over-rated. Basically the next Troy Glaus.

8. It'sMeSNITCHES!!! says:

The Twins might throw in another player to make a deal work. Pat Neshek anyone?

• nmc says:

Maybe they’ll throw in Liriano to “balance it out”. While they’re at it, they’ll be trading Mauer for Varitek and Justin Morneau for Julio Lugo.

9. planet says:

there are too many variables in the redsox/twins deal to believe that minnesota would actually consider taking lester and crisp and no ellsbury. just as yanks fans love our big 3, boston is big on their home grown players as well. i agree that these angels rumors are just proving that its all a bunch of smoke right now.

hughes>bucholtz
    kennedy>lester
    Melky>crisp

• Travis G. says:

“hughes>bucholtz
      kennedy>lester
      Melky>crisp”

i suppose i’m a biased Yankee fan but this is right. these Yanks are younger with more total upside.

anyway, i’m hoping an NL team lands Santana, the Dodgers, Mets, whoever.

• Joseph P. says:

After talking about this with Mike for hours on end, I’ve conceded that Lester > IPK. But otherwise, yeah.

• Yankee Fan in Chicago says:

I’m a big fan of Mike’s analysis, and I concede that Lester might have better “stuff” than IPK, and of course he’s a lefty.

But . . . when you compare the numbers Kennedy’s head and shoulders above Lester. And I’d be shocked if IPK doesn’t have a better career. The difference in command should be enough alone.

• Dimaggio5 says:

We wake up yesterday with Pettitte back and the Yanks in the lead for Santana. This morning the Sux were in the lead, and now the Angels have jumped in. I hope another 10 teams get in there, and block the Sux.

10. It'sMeSNITCHES!!! says:

Boof Bonser will play a crucial role in how these trade talks turn out.

11. Brian says:

This is a super development. The Twins may even be tired with the mutual holding back (and pride) that both we and the Red Sox are showing in our prospects. Wood and Weaver are a good offer, better I think than if Boston was currently offering Lester and Ellsbury which they, oddly, aren’t. I like this, though I’d prefer the Dodgers of course.

12. Glen L says:

For the sake of argument … lets assume the Angels get Cabrera (neither weaver nor wood is involved in those talks to my incredibly limited and probably wrong knowledge) .. and then added santana to start in front of lackey and escobar

they’d have no farm system left .. but damn .. that’s an incredible team

13. zack says:

Now they have a 5 for 1 with Ryan Kalish being added in. I have NO IDEA how that would push the deal over the edge. Kalish is the definition of adding in assorted crap to make a deal look better, quantity but not quality.

So the Twins are really thinking of taking Lester, Crisp, Masterson, Lowrie, and Kalish? Wow, Twins fans ought to be very very pissed.

Granted, this news comes via Gammons, so who knows

14. Yankee Fan in Chicago says:

The Halos offer looks head and shoulders above the Sox. Better than Hughes/Melky/Random dude too probably.

15. RAYMOND SAMUELS says: