Feb

He’s not really o-Kei

I know it’s one inning on the first day of Spring Training. I know that pitchers use Spring Training to hone their pitchers and refine their mechanics. But here goes: Kei Igawa entered today’s Yankee game against the University of South Florida in the sixth inning of a game in which USF had manage just one base runner. Igawa gave up two walks, hit a batter, threw a wild pitch and surrendered a Grand Slam. Why the Yanks declined to trade him when they could, I have yet to understand.

Meanwhile, here’s the first boxscore of the season. Soak it up; it’s a good one. The Big Three went a combined five innings, allowing one hit and striking out six. Jorge wasted his one triple of the year on a Spring Training game against a college team, and A-Rod drove in three runs. Baseball is back.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Jon W. says:

I agree with you, Ben. His annual salary ($5 mil I believe) would have been attractive to some NL teams, and the Yanks probably could have gotten a useful bullpen arm for him. Like so many teams, they seemed like they were determined to get something for their investment, even though it was clear that guy was not going to make it.

2. Rob_in_CT says:

I wish I had some idea of what the Yanks could have gotten for him, before I decide to bash Cashman for not trading him (I am happy to bash for getting him in the first place). Then again, at this rate the proverbial bag of balls & a fungo is looking attractive…

3. Geno says:

Could we trade him back to Japan? Is that even possible?

4. Travis G. says:

let’s all put this in perspective, its the first semi-game of the year… that said, is Igawa even trying?

• Ben K. says:

Oh, no doubt it’s the first game. I was clear about that. That being said, the other Yankee pitchers threw eight one-hit innings and struck out eight. The college kids were utterly overmatched even when Chase Wright was pitching. So Igawa’s doing something wrong.

5. stefan says:

3 groundball outs for Marquez. I guess the sinker is working already!

6. Ryan in DC says:

14 runners left on base!?!?

7. eddy b says:

i fail to see how his brand of up-in-the-zone pitching was so potent in japan that he warranted the contract we offered. i mean he was called “the boss” in japan.. was he not? hopefully this was just rust … it’s as early as it can be right now so here’s hopin’!

• LiveFromNewYork says:

His signing was a complete knee jerk reaction to the RS signing of Dice K. This was one of the bonehead Cashman moves. I’m not saying all his moves are boneheaded (I’m sorta lukewarm on Cash) but this one was definitely done without a lot of thought.

8. Rob says:

Come on!? Iggy had 2 K’s in 1 inning. That’s a 18K/9!!!

9. pete says:

hahahaha iggy
    thats great
    someone should make a sign
    maybe an iggy fansite too

10. Rich M. says:

I am only going to start worrying about Iggy if he starts pitching well. The worst thing that could happen to the Yanks is if he pitches well enough to make the team. Let him blow up all he want in Spring training, I just dont want to see it once the regular season gets here.

11. Rich says:

Even Abraham said he was out of shape. Rehabilitate his value at AAA and then trade him for whatever you can get.

12. Lanny says:

Iggy is a lost cause in NY. They should move him for a solid position prospect.

His salary is really low for a starter. 5 mill for a lefty is real good nowadays.

This isnt a Contreras thing where you knew he had great stuff and just needed his head fixed. Iggy stinks.

And hes ugly. I cannot stand to look at him. Call me crazy

13. Barry says:

the surprising news that as of now hughes has a higher so/ip ratio than joba lmao i figured joba would of had 6 ks

14. Mike A. says:

At least Johan got lit up too. Not Igawa lit up, but still lit up.

15. Mike A. says:

I just noticed that there’s a player on USF named Kevin Quackenbush. That’s too funny.

16. Mike R. says:

Off-Topic, but interesting…

Hank declares war.

17. BrunoAKAmaximumpotential says:

Quackenbush

GREATEST NAME EVER!

“Oh, no doubt it’s the first game. I was clear about that. That being said, the other Yankee pitchers threw eight one-hit innings and struck out eight. The college kids were utterly overmatched even when Chase Wright was pitching. So Igawa’s doing something wrong”

Perfectly put, I’ll take that fungo for him lol

18. DanElmaleh says:

Fat… Toad.

19. [...] He’s not really o-Kei – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues [...]

20. Count Zero says:

How many times does it need to be repeated? Good (not great) stuff…absolutely no command of the strikezone with any pitch. This is the formula for an effective AAA pitcher with no future in MLB.

He’s NL tradebait — nothing more. I’ll take a 2nd round draft pick for him, sign on the dotted line and run out the door before they can change their minds.

21. Manimal says:

expect him gone in the middle of the season for a mediocre but durable middle reliever.

• eric from morrisania says:

expect him to be gone in the middle of the season for two mediocre but durable high-A ball prospects…

22. E-ROC says:

If I’m not mistaken, Kevin Towers is talking to Cashman right now.

• eric from morrisania says:

This just in: Cashman and Towers just agreed to trade Kei Igawa to the Padres for a voucher for a three night, double-occupancy stay at the Hotel Del Coronado and a DVD copy of My Blue Heaven.

If that thing is the Blu-Ray(r) version, that’s a STEAL!