Feb

Yanks express some skepticism over Hughes’ blog

Buried on the second page of a story about Phil Hughes’ blog by Lisa Kennelly is a tidbit about the Yanks’ thoughts on Phil Hughes‘ blog. Brian Cashman does not want players putting too much information out there, and Jason Zillo, director of media relations, said blogs could be banned for all players. In my opinion, the Yanks should tread a bit lightly around this issue. Blogs can be the team’s best friend, but they can also be a team’s worst enemy. Protecting the flow of two-way information is important, but being too heavy-handed may not be the right solution to something that isn’t yet a problem.

Categories : Asides

1. DanElmaleh says:

Let’s face it, most baseball people view blogs as Curt Schilling’s master work, 38pitches.com. The Yankees probably fear something like that. I guess Curt Schilling was just a “bad apple”.

2. Count Zero says:

Having read 38pitches I can see their point. But having read every post on Phil’s site, I don’t see how it applies to him.

I would think Mr. Zillo’s on pretty shaky legal ground. Hughes would likely stop just to keep from antagonizing them, but I don’t think they could stop a player from speaking freely unless he’s giving away confidential team information, or posting what could be taken as libelous remarks. Neither of which Phil has done.

Then again, having worked with plenty of Corporate Communications VPs in my life (cough-assholes-cough), I can’t say I’m surprised. This is what they always do to justify their existence. “No one can talk to the media except me!”

Maybe a lawyer could tell me what’s the difference between a player speaking his mind on a blog, and a player speaking his mind in front of a camera, or to a reporter with a pad and a pen? I don’t see any.

• DanElmaleh says:

The difference is on a blog, you can never be misquoted.

I’m not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

3. deadrody says:

I think you are probably right, Count. I doubt they could legally stop him, and probably couldn’t even fine him for doing it, having told him not to.

But I’m sure Phil would stop if asked (key being asked, not ordered).

4. AlexCT says:

its not like we’re talking about Curt Schilling here. phil’s blog has been mostly topics like weekend activities and music he listens to. a few contests. nothing major.

5. dan says:

Yea unless he’s telling us something important that we didn’t already know (like Schilling saying Papelbon will be the closer last spring) then there’s no reason to shut it down. Of Phil’s last 10 posts, 6 have been about contests, 1 about his email address, and the other about the Times article. Harmless stuff, really.

6. Rich says:

Most of the more compelling baseball books that were written by players can be viewed as a series of blog entries.

This is nuts.

7. Cam says:

Have to remember though that he hasn’t been blogging through the season yet. What happens if he goes out and has a terrible game, or someone kicks the ball behind him resulting in a loss and in a fit of rage blogs about the whole thing. He is still basically a kid. That is what these guys are worrying about. Not NASCAR and Marquez saying hello. Also, I’m sure when a corporation is paying your millions of dollars (isn’t now, but will), they can definitely pursaude you not to do something. I would absolutely hate to see it done, as I think his blog is extremely valuable, but I’m sure this is their concern. Hopefully Hughes can keep a level head about it.

8. Barry says:

they can’t forbid him from writing a blog anyway

9. [...] No pass for Phil – Pinstripe Posts Theo resorts to playground tactics – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues Yanks express some skepticism over Hughes’ blog – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues Spring Training, in pictures – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues Meet the new [...]

10. Aaron says:

I think this is a non-story. They’ll let the kid write because they can’t really prevent him from doing so. As long as he doesn’t leak inside information somewhere down the line (which seems highly unlikely considering Hughes has said he doesn’t want to talk much about what’s going on with the team) then there won’t be any issues.