Mar

Ensberg added to 40-man roster

Via PeteAbe, the Yanks have added Morgan Ensberg to the 40-man roster and will pay him $1.75M to come off the bench and start against tough lefties this year. Carl Pavano lands on the 60-day DL to make room for Ensberg, who is out options and will NOT wear number 21. This basically means that the bench is set, with Ensberg joining Wilson Betemit, Jose Molina and whoever sits between the Shelley-Matsui-Giambi-Damon group on a given day. I suppose that Shelley could be shipped to Triple-A with a Cody Ransom-type taking his spot on the bench, but I think it’s unlikely. I like the move; Ensberg is a class act and one helluva complimentary player.

The Organizational Depth Chart has been updated accordingly.

Categories : Asides

1. Tom says:

I wonder if Ensberg would be willing to play some outfield. Or maybe Shelly will play some left field.

2. felixpanther says:

Dodgers need 3B badly, they probably want either Ensberg or Betemit

3. Jamal G. says:

Duncan should be the righty sub for Abreu or Giambi IMO. Damon is ok batting vs. LHP as he did have better splits vs LHP (.281/.353/.353) than he did vs. RHP (.266/.350/.411).

• Jeff says:

.266/.350/.411 is MUCH better than .281/.353/.353. Damon is also much better vs RHP (.289/.355/.445) than LHP (.286/ .347/.402) for his career.

I imagine Duncan and Ensberg will both start against all LHP until they show they shouldn’t. But between RF, LF, 1B and DH, two of the lefties will still need to play.

4. barry says:

shelley had better not go to AAA thatd be a shame and it would take away his O’neillesgue attitude

5. Bruno says:

So what number WILL Ensberg wear?

6. mustang says:

He is eyeing 14 which Betemit has right now.

7. mustang says:

I think this was a good move i have been pulling for Ensberg. His past numbers are the best in the bunch and even towards the end of last season when he was struggling do to injuries his numbers were ok for a back-up.
    If he can come close to his past numbers and with Duncan the
    right-handed hitting line-up is the best it’s been in years. It also gives us a strong bench.

PS- Ensberg was held at gun point about 6 years back so i don’t think the pressure of playing in the bronx will get to him. Although he might need to watch himself going to the games. LOL

8. mustang says:

BIG start for Kei Igawa today if he can have a good showing against a line-up like the Jays he might have that long-man spot in the pen. If not it’s going to be a fight between him and Rasner. Who looked great yesterday even if it was vs the Rays.

9. juke says:

I heard Morgan tell that story a few years back: it was amazing & I’ve been a fan of his since then. This move makes me extremely pleased for him.

10. mustang says:

I agree with juke… The man got heart i wish him all the best.

11. [...] Ben K. – River Ave. Blues Okay, how about Hughes and Joba for Blanton? – Mike A. – River Ave. Blues Ensberg added to 40-man roster – Mike A. – River Ave. Blues Best wishes to Graig Nettles – Highlander [...]

12. E-ROC says:

The Yanks should definitely mash left handed pitching this season. I do think the Yanks need some speed on the bench.

13. mg says:

Does this mean we’re gonna see Paul O’s number retired after all?

14. pounder says:

I’m glad to see Brett Smiths name on the depth chart.He fell apart last year,for reasons I have yet to determine,shortly after his no-hitter.I hope the Yanks stick with him,or trade him so he can further his career.