Mar

RAB’s Organizational Depth Chart

We’ve added a neat little feature to the RAB experience today, an Organizational Depth Chart. It runs 5 deep for the players at each position, and can always be accessed via the link up top. Everything else you need to know about it explained in the page’s intro.

Update: Pitcher listing has been shortened due to popular demand.

1. dan says:

How do we read the starting pitchers? Do we go down column one and then at the end of that, go to column two, and so on?

2. There’s some rad stuff in there.

3. Steve S says:

Montero??? Either at catcher or first?????

4. John D says:

I know it’s VERY early, but for my sanity do we have to keep Igawa on the chart?

5. Jamal G. says:

As an initial reaction I’m surprised that Alan Horne is 11th on the SP Depth Chart but after thinking it over and factoring in the 40-man and MLB experience it does make a lot of sense. However it is still a little weird to know of Horne’s talent but he is behind the likes of Kei Igawa and Darrel Rasner on the Depth Chart in your opinion.

6. My Pet Goat says:

Having an organizational depth chart for all SP and RP is superfluous. It seems like a lot of filler and guess work to go that deep.

7. EJ says:

Nice stuff Mike.

8. Pete Law says:

I love it, its about time that someone had this posted.

YankeesPropects.com is good but not updated once the season starts.

How bout once the season starts, listing it as AAA starters and bench, at least down to AA and possibly High A ball?

9. dan says:

Sorry to post this, as it’s mostly unrelated, but EJ was going through PECOTA comps, and had this to say about Melky:

Melky Cabrera – Carlos Beltran sits at #1, with Coco Crisp and Pete Rose immediately following, and Carl Yastrzemski, Nick Markakis, Reggie Smith, and Bernie Williams also coming up. Lesson: Wait 1 more year before knocking him off.”

Impressive

• Mike A. says:

PECOTA isn’t going to change my mind about Melky. When the system’s big claim to fame is predicting the ’07 White Sox would suck, that means they have some work to do.

I think it’s painfully obvious by watching both players that Melky is not the next Beltran.

• dan says:

I think their big claim to fame is accuracy… they just got a lot of heat last March for the White Sox. And they don’t come up with comps out of thin air (although the Beltran/Bernie comps made by commenters here were, interestingly, out of thin air, but meshed with PECOTA). I’d put big money on him NOT becoming the next Beltran, but I think he’ll be a better player in 3 years than he is today. As EJ said, wait one more year before knocking him off.

10. [...] RAB’s Organizational Depth Chart – Mike A – River Ave. Blues [...]

11. Brian says:

I like the depth chart. Nice work, and hard to do well.
    A word on Eric Duncan: Pete Abraham made a note in his comments about how Duncan’s a “nice kid,” and how “he is what he is at this point,” that we would be “surprised” if he did well at this point, and so forth, but the guy’s 23 in AAA. Let’s not forget he was playing AA with Shelley D. two years ago and Shelley D. was not better, besides the HR total.
    My point is that with this early cut from the roster, I wonder if the Yanks are trying to light a fire under him (something Shelley definitely has), send a message that it isn’t going to just happen, he has to make it happen, etc. Or, he just sucked in camp. Any thoughts?
    Sincerely,
    He who cannot let go.
    ps: I hear CJ Henry can hit a three point shot from shallow left field! Ink him!

• Mike A. says:

It’s definitely too early to say “he is what he is,” the kid’s only 23. I can understand saying he’d be surprised if he did well, but come on, it’s too early to write him off. Will he be the lefthanded Troy Glaus like he was made out to be be back in the day? No. But why can’t he be the next Mark Sweeney, or the next Jeff Conine, or the next Jack Cust?

12. mike says:

ensberg ahead of shelley?

• steve (different one) says:

why not?

• J.R. says:

Realistically, Ensberg gets cut. There is no reason to carry him for defense, Betimit is better at first with a glove. And Giambi and a Duncan platoon will be much more productive. Isnt this the reason we got Betimit? (and to take proctor away from torre).

13. dan says:

I think the pitchers need to be shortened or something… Elvys Quezada has no place here. Kevin Brown is closer to being a Yankee than he is.

14. Bob says:

You might consider subscribing to Pinstripes Plus.

15. Bob says:

Pity. You would have known that Wilmer Pino was released last year.

16. Bo says:

Subscribing to PP is a waste of money. Paying on the internet for content is just not a good biz model.

• Joseph P. says:

Agreed. Why pay for walled garden content when the trend is clearly moving to openness? I don’t even bother subscribing to Baseball Prospectus anymore. And I’m heavily considering canceling my ESPN Insider account — though I like Neyer and Law too much to do that.

17. [...] RAB’s Organizational Depth Chart – Mike A. – River Ave. Blues [...]