Mar

Yanks: Joba to start this summer

According to Joel Sherman, the Yankees plan to convert Joba to a starter some time this summer if all goes according to plan. He will transition from the pen to the rotation in 2008, Yankee officials say. This is, in my opinion, good news, and the more I see of Ross Ohlendorf, the more I think he could be the answer to the Yanks’ 8th inning once Joba is starting.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. Joe says:

Rasner in blowouts.
    Patterson/Hawkins in the 7th.
    Ohlendorf in the 8th.
    Rivera in the 9th.

This is what I want to see, but Bruney will cry like a baby if he gets demoted again (1 option left?)

Rock and Roll’ehdorf will be up before things get out of hand.

I like Rasner over Karstens, seems to be a little more commanding overall, not just this spring.

I really hope that after a month of Farnsworth getting served over rice that Joe puts him in his place (left field dumpster).

I’m done.

2. stylez says:

Ollie is still very hittable despite throwing 97…that’s a concern when coupled with mediocre off-speed stuff

3. Jamal G. says:

As Mr. Kastanza would say, I felt it move a little when reading this article. What Girardi and Joba was saying after that first outing whe he was officially tabbed for the pen scared me. Now this has calmed me, thank you Ca$hmoney.

Ohlendorf I would love to see succeed but I am still in the camp of Melancon for 8th, future closer. Is Humberto def going to the pen? I remember reading that people were still surprised why the Yankees haven’t officially said so that he’s heading for the bullpen. If he can stay healthy, why not keep him as a starter?

4. Bruno says:

YES YES YES. I’m glad I’m not alone in that sediment Ben.

5. stylez says:

And I’m really in no favor of the left handed specialist of Traber or Henn, i’s not really a neccessaity if you have a righty that can negate both sides. With that I prefer adding the best viable options in the pen which is why Britton shopuld replace trabe. He’s proven he can pitch at the majors all ready and he’s just wasting away in the minors. Here’ another 7th inning guy if Hawkins should faulter

6. Randy says:

i don’t see how this works. You can argue for him to go either way but why would you ever send joba down during the season? I obviously know that is a way to stretch him out but putting yourself in a position when you don’t have him for any period of time in any role seems pretty unproductive to me. Either he’s a starter or keep him in the pen. I tend to go with the shut down bullpen guy to be honest. It means a lot to pretty much guarantee that when you get to the 7th inning you have lost the game and i think the guys they have starting with that offense can get us to the 7th with a lead. And if you go by what Joba did during the spring (i understand it is the spring) but he certainly did not convince me that he knows how to use his stuff effectively going four or five innings. But in any case, i’m happy we have this dilemma. A lot of teams would like to have this debate.

• Jamal G. says:

In 2005 as a STARTER in his Soph year at Nebraska Joba went 2.81 (ERA) 1.04 (WHIP), and a 9.86 (K/9). In his 2006 as a starter in his junior year at Nebraska Joba went 3.93 (ERA) 1.32 (WHIP) 10.28 (K/9) in a year where he had the triceps tendinitis. In his minor league career with NYY as a starter he went 2.65 (ERA) 0.97 (WHIP) 12.54 (K/9). Don’t forget he STRUCK OUT 135 in 88.1 innings!

Come on man, don’t dare say he “can’t” do it effectively over four or five innings because one of his many strengths is that he can git 97-8 in the 7th inning.

• Jamal G. says:

Sorry u didn’t say can’t, but trust me, he can and knows how to use his stuff not effectively, but utterly dominate with it.

• Randy says:

why are you bringing up numbers from nebraska? i’m well aware of his success in college and in the minors. but going off of his first spiring training and now facing major league level hitters he has struggled as a starter. albeit a small sample, he didn’t dominate by any stretch of the imagination. it is a process to be able to do that to major league caliber hitters, not minor league guys and certainly not hitters from the big 12. I never said he can’t do it but clearly he has demonstrated the ability to alter a game from the relief standpoint. I’m not against him starting at some point, but there is no way you can say he’s going to dominate because he hasn’t started ONE game for the big club; yet he has dominated from the pen. Its a process to be the ace we all think he can be so please don’t say he can “utterly dominate” when that thing hasn’t even happened yet.

7. Jamal G. says:

I think the spots should go to Patterson/Britton/Ohlendorf. I would love to see Rasner and Edwar make the squad, b/c having a long man is a nice option. Edwar’s change up is a dagger to LH so that would also be nice, but I wanna see him improve his FB command and SLD.

• dan says:

Either Patterson or Ohlendorf can serve as a temporary long-man, going 3-4 innings. Ohlendorf pitched much of the year as a starter and threw almost 200 innings in ’06. Patterson started 3 games last season in Trenton, but also went multiple innings a lot of the time. Any need for multiple spot starts would probably go to Horne or someone from Scranton.

8. Adam says:

i’ll believe it when i see it. and i hope i see it.

9. Jamal G. says:

Hey, today is Dellin Betances 20th Birthday! He’s 15 days short of a year older than me and potentially could be the best starting prospect the Yankees have. I am too excited about Mr. Betances (and for great reason).

10. dan says:

Looking for some pity here…. I had a Georgetown-Duke final :(

11. Bruno says:

UNC all the way!

12. [...] Yanks: Joba to start this summer – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues [...]

13. E-ROC says:

I like Patterson, Britton, and Ohlendorf for the other bullpen spots, but given how Traber has pitched this spring, he’ll probably make the team.

14. Travis G. says:

“if all goes according to plan.” when does that ever happen?

they dont have to send him to AAA to stretch him out though. Billingsley made his last relief appearance with 2 ip, then his first start with 3.2 ip, then 4, then 7. the key was often using him for more than 1 ip relief stints (and only twice back-to-back) before that.

15. mustang says:

I think Karstens is all but out of the long man spot in the pen. So it’s now between Kei Igawa ( who had a good MINOR league outing) and Rasner. Give the edge to Kei Igawa because all he has to do is pitch ok with his salary and being lefty the Yanks will be more incline to give him the spot. The last spot will be interesting until last week i had Patterson, but Bruney stuff is looking good. Also Bruney’s ego will take a big hit if he gets send down. My picks for the last three spots are:
    Traber ( lefty and has just plain earn it)
    Bruney ( with a very short leash)
    Kei Igawa ( i don’t like him, but lefty, can be a long man and salary)

16. Bruno says:

If Patterson doesn’t make the team, Girardi’s (might be) worse at running a ‘pen then Torre.

17. mustang says:

I like Patterson and Girardi seem to like him too, but Bruney is such a baby that if he doesn’t make it he might be lost for the rest of the season.
    Personally i would trade Bruney while his stock is up. I heard lots of teams like him.

18. Mike D says:

The Yankees have to push Joba to 150 IP this year, which is why he will eventually move out of the pen by mid-season. If he’s used only as a reliever, he won’t get more than 80/90 IP, which will restrict his development as a starter over TWO seasons (’08 and ’09) because his innings in ’09 would be capped at 120-130 unless they can get him up to around 140-150 this year. That’s why Joba will start at least 15-18 games this season. The Twins used this hybrid approach with Johan Santana, so it’s hardly radical.

19. Micky#7 says:

Patterson/Britton/Ohly in the pen. Have Humberto/Melancon/Betance in the wings for the time Hawk shows he can’t cut it. Humberto is coming off surgery, but is lights out if healthy. Hopefully, Farnsy can do well this year. If not…well, that’s were the wings come in. Just my thoughts.

20. Micky#7 says:

Sorry; forgot J.B.Cox in the wings (also, coming back from surgery).

21. jscape2000 says:

I’ve been saying all offseason that Ohlendorf coming out of the pen with that mid 90s sinker would be brilliant. My only concern is that he’ll need that splitter working for him the second or third time through the league, but it can take most of the season before even division rivals figure out a relief pitcher.

22. RustyJohn says:

I don’t understand this love affair the team seems to have for Karstens- I liked the kid when he was first called up but last year (yes,yes, I know of the injury) and this spring just confirm he is a AAAA player- Igawa, they need to get him back to AAA where he can hopefully have a couple of good starts and then they can trade him to a hopeless sack like Bill Bavasi. If there needs to be a long man, I’m all for Rasner. But, I don’t think they should carry a long man just to have a long man- would rather see Traber, Patterson, Oly in the pen along with Joba, Mo, Farns, and Hawkins.

23. RustyJohn says:

Let me rephrase that- I would rather see Britton instead of Traber, but since they added him to the roster it looks like he is a lock.

24. mustang says:

If you think the Yanks are going to have a 4 million dollar player in AAA your nuts.
    They are going to find a way to keep Igawa in the majors and the long man in the bull pen is it.
    Brain ” Dollar Bill” Cashman wouldn’t trade him because it would be admitting what a giant mistake he made. I can justify most of Cashman’s bad moves, but this one kills me because he tired to save money by signing Igawa and not Ted Lilly.
    Ironically, he wasted more money than he would of saved. So unless Igawa has a giant melt down we are going to have the most expensive long man in baseball. Thanks to Brain ” Dollar Bill” Cashman.

• Ben K. says:

True or False: Kei Igawa threw more innings at the Major League level than at the Minor League level last year.

I don’t think the Yanks are too worried about putting him on the roster because of the money he makes. If they think he can contribute, he’ll end up in the Bronx; if not, he’ll end up in Tampa.

That is also one of the strangest nicknames for Brian Cashman I’ve ever seen.

25. mustang says:

The nickname ” dollar bill ” comes from the fact that Cashman always wants to look like he saving money. When in fact he out spends everyone on the international level. When in fact he can give a kid like Andrew W. Brackman 4 million and not have him pitch for a year.
    Yes even the Yankees have a budget, but don’t make it the reason for why you do or you don’t make a deal.

26. mustang says:

It’s like the fat guy who buys to two pizza pies and then wash it down with a litter of diet coke and says he dieting.

27. mustang says:

Lets see Mr Cashman keeps is wallet close if Yu Darvish is posted.