Mar

Yanks looking at a pair of lefties

In the never-ending search for some bullpen support, the Yanks have their eyes on Damaso Marte and Brian Fuentes, the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo wrote yesterday. As our buddies at MLBTR point out, Fuentes is owed $5.05 million this year, and Marte will make $2 million in 2008 with a 2009 club option for $6 million. If I had my choice, I’d go with Marte. He has AL success and better numbers overall.

Categories : Asides, Death by Bullpen

1. Travis G. says:

t’would be nice to have either of those guys, but the question is how much will it cost. would you do Marquez for Marte? what about McCutchen or Sanchez?

2. TurnTwo says:

my guess is that Fuentes will cost less in players, because he only has one year remaining, and has a higher salary, while Marte will cost more, because he is under control for 2 seasons at a lower rate.

as volatile as relief pitching is year to year, Fuentes is prob the more realistic move and better suited, considering BC’s new bullpen philosophy… that being said, either/or, both ok acquisitions for me. i’d even still make the move if Traber continues to pitch well and makes the team out of camp… it makes me giddy to think of the prospect of 2 great LHRP in the bullpen, when we havent really had one good one for a couple years now.

3. mustang says:

I asked the same question of the cost in the posting before this one. I agree with Ben K. on his last line on Marte. He is also locked up for the next two years. Marquez for Marte seems about right maybe a little more. I wouldn’t want to give them McCutchen i like to see how he develops and I don’t think they take Sanchez.

4. Mike A. says:

Fuentes is prone to bouts of wildness and the longball, plus he’s likely to cost more in terms of prospects and money. I guess that leaves Damaso by default.

I’d rather just give Traber, Phillips, Wright or even Henn a shot. They’re cheaper, and as LOOGY’s they can’t burn you THAT much.

• Adam says:

That’s not really a fair comparison, because neither Marte nor Fuentes would be LOOGYs should a trade like this happen. But, having a lefty of their caliber would eliminate the need for carrying a lefty just for the sake of carrying a lefty, which would open up that last bullpen spot the Brittons/Veras/Ramirezs/Alabadejos who otherwise would not be on the roster.

5. MD says:

I notice a number of teams need a 3B…..maybe Ensberg is a valuable commodity at this point, and his use is limited if Shelly is the 1B…..thoughts?

6. Ivan says:

Personally, I like Fuentes more than I do Marte. Fuentes has been nasty on LHB for the last two three seasons. He’s very deceptive and also he’s the type of pitcher where he can get both lefties and righties out.

7. mustang says:

Maybe i’m missing something because I’m going just by numbers and scouting reports, but Marte seems very good. His had .094 ERA vs lefty last years and a lifetime .143 ERA vs lefty. His only bad point is his age. Why do people don’t seem to like him ?
    Fuentes has never pitched in the AL which always make me feel funny.

8. rbizzler says:

The six million dollar option on Marte for ’09 could be the linchpin that gets a deal done. I am assuming that the Pirates don’t want to pay 6 million for a situational guy and they can buy him out for 250k (per Cot’s). The question then becomes, would the Pirates get Type B compensation for losing him? And if so, the Yanks would have to offer a package that would be comparable to a sandwich pick.

I would move Marquez for him, but considering that Pitt (reportedly) asked for Tabata for Marte at the Winter Meetings, I am not sure that Jeff alone will get a deal done.

9. RobertGKramer says:

Are we really paying attention to what a Boston writer is reporting these days?
    Phillips and Traber should be all we need, at least until July!

10. mustang says:

Correction a .196 Era lifetime vs lefties

IP H HR BB K WHIP- BAA
    181.0 121 - - 9 76 208 - 1.09 .193

These numbers make me cry !!!!! LOL

11. question mark says:

could this be where moving Matsui fits in?

• J.R. says:

Neither the Pirates or Rockies would want Matsui. Pirates because they are notoriously cheap. And the Rockies because they already have an elite LF.

12. mustang says:

Sorry

IP-181.0
    H-121
    HR-9
    BB-76
    WHIP-1.09
    BAA-.196
    K-208

13. RobertGKramer says:

The only thing that should move Matsui is a Giambi sore foot.

14. Anonymous says:

Sign Marte.

15. Bruno says:

I agree Marte is the better option of the two. Marquez for Marte seems fair for both sides.

16. Geno says:

Oh Bubba, no:

OF Bubba Crosby reported to the Mariners’ minor-league camp but failed his physical, so his contract was voided and he’s been released. – Seattle Times

17. Bruno says:

Now Bubba can fit right in with the Mets LOL

18. ceciguante says:

oh, i really like marte from what i’ve read. i’d pull the trigger for marquez or most any 2d tier kid, really. the payroll is $200M….fill the need!

19. pounder says:

Whats Luis Arroyo doing these days? Seriously, the Yanks plucked him from the minors in 60′ and had great success with him,a relatively unheralded minor leaguer.I don’t suppose we can catch lightening in a bottle again…….or can we?