Mar

Yanks sign big-name free agent

Shoring up their offense today, the Yanks signed one of the biggest free agents left. Actor Billy Crystal will join the Bombers on Wednesday for a one-day audition. Crystal, 60, will practice with the team for a day and make his spring debut on Thursday against the Pittsburgh Pirates. While a cute publicity stunt, this move speaks volumes about the Pittsburgh Pirates. Can they even get out a 60-year-old actor?

Update: Just to be clear, this is part of a 60th birthday present from the Yankees to Billy Crystal. It’s not a giant publicity stunt about which some of the more skeptical folks have grumbled.

Categories : Asides, Whimsy

1. pete says:

supposedly he is going to replace joba in the 8th inning role when joba is sent down, so he needs a little practice.

2. Ivan says:

Pirates might be the biggest laughing stock in sports.

How old are you BenK? 25, can you remember the pirates ever since you were interested in baseball ever being a good team?

3. Ivan says:

I will say the pirates,

for the simple fact that the cardinals are getting there. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be surprise if the cardinals finish .500 in football, I would be surprise if the Pirates had a .500 record.

4. Ivan says:

Even the clippers made the Playoffs a couple years ago

5. Mike R. says:

If Billy decides to act like a ballplayer the Pirates might claim him off waivers. Better yet…How about a Crystal for Marte deal?

6. Barry says:

This shit annoys me.

• Ben K. says:

My suggestion then would be to let it go. It’s Spring Training; it’s a nice gesture toward a celebrity who’s been a lifelong Yankee fan. It doesn’t harm anyone and has no baring on baseball. What annoys you about it?

7. Mike A. says:

They should make him run over the catcher.

8. Rich says:

A little too self-indulgent for me.

9. dan says:

How long is he expected to stay in the game? Like one inning in the field and one at bat?

10. [...] Yanks sign big-name free agent – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues [...]

11. LiveFromNewYork says:

I heard he poured his heart and soul into 61* and for that I have a lot of respect for him. It’s a story that needed to be told.

12. Link says:

Be honest, those that don’t like this are jealous.

13. JCP says:

The only thing I don’t like about it is the jokes about the Pirates being tossed around. Those Pirates are better at the sport of baseball than anyone who has ever lived in my hometown and many of the towns neighboring my hometown.

The insults just don’t come off sounding right from fans (and I am one of them) of a team that can spend $40. M to Carl Pavano so he can pull his buttocks while speeding in the rain and still have made the playoffs all those years.

• Ben K. says:

We’re not insulting the individual members of the Pirates for being bad (ok, except for Kevin Thompson). We’re skeptical of the organization and their inability to put together a winner. They have the nicest ballpark in the Major Leagues and play in a sports-loving city. They’ve won five World Series champions and should be good. But they have an owner who doesn’t care but sees his franchise go up in value anyway and an inept GM. That’s why we make jokes. Really, their situation is sad.