Apr

Angelini picking up the pace

No matter how frustrating it gets to watch Hughes and IPK nibble at the corners, just remember that it’s better than having Mark Redman in the rotation. Suddenly the kids don’t seem so bad, huh?

Triple-A Scranton was washed out, they’ll play two tomorrow. Darrell Rasner was the scheduled to starter, but maybe they’ll call him up to be the long man before the first game since he’s not in need of four days of rest.

Double-A Trenton (7-4 loss to New Britain in 13 innings)
Ramiro Pena & Reegie Corona: both 0 for 5 – Pena walked & K’ed … Corona K’ed twice
Austin Jackson & Matt Carson: both 2 for 6, 1 R – Ajax doubled & swiped a bag … Carson drove in a run & K’ed
Cody Ehlers: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB
Jose Tabata: 0 for 3, 2 K - came out of the game after striking out in the 7th … I recently heard that his swing is all messed up, and that he’s out of shape and playing like he doesn’t care … it’s time to send him down to Tampa to light a fire under his ass
Phil Coke: 6 IP, 11 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 5-6 GB/FB
David Robertson: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K – 3.2 IP? wow
Eric Wordekemper: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K - let an inherited runner score, hence the earned run on Robertson’s line
Mike Gardner: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K

High-A Tampa (9-8 win over Clearwater in 11 innings)
Damon Sublett: 2 for 5, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 E (fielding)
Eduardo Nunez: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K
Luis Nunez: for 2, 1 RBI – walk-off single
Edwar Gonzalez: 4 for 6, 2 R, 2 2B, 1 SB – it’s amazing what guys can do when they play at the same level three years in a row
Seth Fortenberry: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 HBP
Kyle Anson: 2 for 6, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI – 9-19 K/BB in 18 games
Kevin Smith: 3 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
Tim Battle: 2 for 5, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 2 K – 23-3 K/BB in 17 games
Braedyn Pruitt: 0 for 4, 2 BB, 1 E (throwing)
Ryan Pope: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 8-4 GB/FB – easily the worst outing of his young career
Edgar Soto: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
Grant Duff: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

Low-A Charleston (7-4 loss to Columbus)
Abe Almonte, Justin Snyder & David Williams: all 0 for 3 – Almonte walked, K’ed & committed a throwing error … Snyder drove in a run & K’ed and is now 4 for his last 21 … Williams walked & threw a runner out at second from RF
Bradley Suttle: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 K
Hey-Zeus: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K – 5 doubles in his last 9 games … he’s 18!
Carmen Angelini: 2 for 3, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 BB, 2 E (throwing, fielding) – 11 for his last 24 after starting the year 9 for 50
Wady Rufino: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 E (throwing)
Noel Castillo: 5 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 Balk, 4-7 GB/FB
Chase Vacek: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 3-3 GB/FB – 4-5 K/BB ratio in 11 IP
Jesse Hoover: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Jamal G. says:

Yeah, thanks for the details on David Robertson’s ER because I was scratching my head figuring out how he gave up a run while only allowing 1 H to go along with no BBs, no HRs and no HBPs.

I agree with the Jose Tabta demotion even without that little tidbit of info you gave us. That also puzzled me as to how he only garnered 3 ABs without walking or being HBP. Send him down, Tampa needs some exciting prospects other than Mark Melancon and Ivan Nova, LoL.

Another XBH by Jesus Montero, just wow.

2. Jamal G. says:

BTW, how many pitches did Robertson deliver. I think that’s more of an issue than the innings for a relief prospect.

3. Royhan85 says:

3.2IP for Robertson? Awesome….

4. RustyJohn says:

Wow- Redman had 12 baserunners and 10 of them scored? That’s pretty assy.

• Mike A. says:

You know what the most screwed up part is? In the first inning he allowed 10 baserunners and all 10 scored. In the five innings he pitched after that, he allowed only 2 baserunners and none scored. Funny how baseball works, huh?

5. matt K says:

The yanks arent to serious about Hey-zeus becoming a big league catcher are they.

• Brandon says:

yes they are infact Cashman said Jesus will stay in A ball all year, they want him to develope as a catcher and he’s been improving as a catcher for anyone that is interested I think he’s gun down 9 baserunners already.

• matt K says:

yea it just seemed like he is playin DH more then catcher.I was wrong. Out of 22 games this year he has caught 13. I feel like he should be getting more but u gotta get romine in there too.

• Mike A. says:

In the long run it’ll keep him fresh. Less crouching in the minors means more crouching in the bigs. It’s not ideal to have two guys splitting development time behind the plate, but it’s nice having two good catching prospects.

Unless they manage to draft Buster Posey or Kyle Skipworth (both very unlikely to last that long), I bet they send one of Romine or Montero to Staten Island once the NY-Penn League season starts in late June.

6. Brandon says:

Nice to see Eduardo and Carmen improving pretty soon the Yankees will need to make a huge decision at SS as the defense of Jeter is regressing infront of our eyes and they need to save his legs. We’re going to hear alot of fans BS about it but the 1B mitt would be interesting for Jetes.

• Jamal G. says:

Fuck the idiotic fans. They don’t want to pay attention to what’s going on right in front of their eyes on the field then screw them. If they and the media want to dwell in the nostalgia of Derek Jeter and his 4 WS rings as the Yankees shortstop let them, meanwhile Cashman will improve the defense by getting a bad defensive SS into LF or 1B.

7. Jamal G. says:

My stomach hurts. I just found out that the Yankees picked John-Ford Griffin (23) and Bronson Sardinha (34) before the Mets selected David Wright (38) in the 2001 draft.

Ouch babe.

• Jamal G. says:

BTW Mike, if you were falling prospects and the draft back then what was David Wright’s ceiling? How was he thought of going into that 2001 draft?

Here is the Top 10 of this randomly brought about 2001 draft:

1. Minnesota — Joe Mauer, c, Cretin-Derham Hall HS, St. Paul, Minn.
      2. Chicago (NL) — Mark Prior, rhp, Southern California
      3. Tampa Bay — Dewon Brazelton, rhp, Middle Tennessee State
      4. Philadelphia — Gavin Floyd, rhp, Mt. St. Joseph HS, Severna Park, Md.
      5. Texas — Mark Teixeira, 3b, Georgia Tech
      6. Montreal — Josh Karp, rhp, UCLA
      7. Baltimore — Chris Smith, lhp, Cumberland (Tenn.) University
      8. Pittsburgh — John VanBenschoten, 1b, Kent State
      9. Kansas City — Colt Griffin, rhp, Marshall HS, Marshall, Texas
      10. Houston — Chris Burke, ss, Tennessee

• RollingWave says:

baseball draft are a crapshoot …. that’s why.

we can dwell on that, but then Boston took Jason Place who hit like CJ Henry last year, Daniel Bard who walked more than he K’ed last year (too bad he’s a pitcher) and some fringe lefty guy all before Joba. shit happens. hell.

Roger Clemens : 19th pick (out of only 26 teams back then)

Gregg Maddux: 2nd round pick

Tom Glavine: 2nd round pick

Mike Piazza: 62nd round pick lol!!!

• Mike A. says:

Wright was the best pure high school hitter in the draft behind Mauer, but he had a long swing and was nearly maxed out physically, so no one figured he’d develop more than 15-20 homerun power. He was most often compared to Michael Cuddyer (who was a 3B way back in the day).

Gotta credit Wright for fixing his swing and improving his game. All the intangible stuff was there when he was drafted. I’m a big David Wright fan (it’s impossible not to like the guy), and if I had the first pick in a real-life fantasy draft, he’d be my pick. He’s the model of a franchise player.

He’s everything Drew Henson was supposed to be.

8. YES says:

This is not the first time I’ve heard of Tabata being out of shape.
    Doesn’t sound like he really cares about baseball.
    For a 19 y/o with twins already you would think he would care.

9. Chris says:

How certain is everyone that Jesus really is 18? I ask because of the revelations about Tejada (and questions about a ton of other players)…

10. Mashmore says:

Tabata leaving the game yesterday is still somewhat of a mystery. I wouldn’t say he’s playing like he doesn’t care, I just think he seems a little overmatched right now. And, as I wrote on my blog, he said his hand is still bothering him…why people haven’t been making a bigger deal out of that, I’ll never know…because to me, that’s a huge deal.

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah, it is surprising that you were the only person I saw even make a note of it. What is the exact problem, does it get sore every now and again or does it sting a bit on hard swing & misses?

• I actually agree with you Mike. If JT says his hand is bothering him, then I believe him. After all, the guy has been able to hit at every level he’s been in so far. It’s been cold the first month of the season and that’s probably affecting his hand in some way. I think he needs some time. Demoting him would be a sign of no confidence in the youngster and one could argue that Robinson Cano needs that too. But then again Robbie has a track record, so you know he’ll get out of it. JT has a track record too, in the minors of course, but a track record nonetheless. I know for certain I’m not giving up on him yet.

11. YES says:

I would be concerned about Montero’s real age if he was Dominican.
    But since he’s from Venezuela I have no concerns about his real age.

12. Mashmore says:

He didn’t specify, and it’s hard to get him to because he speaks very, very limited English and any time you talk to him it has to be translated. All he said was that he thought the cold weather was bothering him.

It’s been nowhere near as cold at this point of the season this year compared to what it was last year.

But if it’s really an issue, I here there’s a high-A ball team the Yankees have that plays in a warm climate. Hmmm…

13. Mashmore says:

I hear, not here…

14. Mashmore says:

And now people are saying he got suspended, so I don’t know what to tell you…