Apr

Game 19: Please, let’s not lose to the O’s again

Last night was one of those where I had to say “eff this” in the sixth and turn it off. There were plenty of better things I could have been doing (and did) than watch the Yanks get trounced by the Orioles.

I’m not sure why but I can’t stand losing to the Orioles. It irks me more to lose to the O’s than any other team other than the Sawks. I’m bothered even more by seeing them above the Yanks in the standings, even if it’s April, and even keeping in mind 2005.

A few notes from PeteAbe: Joba is en rote to Camden Yards. Not sure if he’ll pitch tonight unless absolutely necessary. PA also notes that Posada could be ready to catch tomorrow or Tuesday. That means there’s no chance he catches tomorrow, since there’s an off-day (!!) on Monday.

Yanks lineup:

1. Johnny Damon, LF
2. Melky Cabrera, CF
3. Derek Jeter, SS
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B DH
5. Jorge Posada, 1B
6. Hideki Matsui, RF
7. Morgan Ensberg, 1B 3B
8. Robinson Cano, 2B — there’s a case to be made for starting the AG here
9. Chad Moeller, C Jose Molina, C

And on the mound, number thirty-one, Ian Patrick Kennedy

Update by Mike: Mass confusion about the lineup, it’s fixed now.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Bruno says:

An off day?!? What are we gonna do with ourselves?

2. Peequay says:

Oh come now, Joe. This is our 25 year old all-star 2B we’re talking about here. Not some off the cliff 40 year old.

3. Manimal says:

two first basemens!?!

4. Link says:

jorge’s dhing

5. Kelvin says:

hmmm.. i am confused about the line-up. PeteAbe says that Molina is starting… and what is with the two first basemen?? i assume Posada would DH?

6. vinny-b says:

baltimore. Word.

however, i would add the Angels to that list.

7. Mike A. says:

Too bad Johnny was called out because he over-frickin-ran first. Ugh.

8. Mike A. says:

What’s with the low socks IPK?

9. Joseph P. says:

Sorry about the lineup confusion. I copied it line for line from what Pete had at the time.

10. Yankee1010 says:

Damon can’t stay out of his own way. He starts it off with a nice leadoff walk and then can’t stand the momentary prosperity. There comes a point where Damon and Giambi are given more than just one day off, right?

11. LBA Prequel says:

First, love the new comments system. Just overwhelmingly better than the old setup.

Secondly, I can’t believe that Shelly wouldn’t be outproducing Giambi at this point. They need to bring him back up, while he’s red hot, and bench Giambi. There’s just no choice, slow start or not; we have too many DH’s already, we can’t afford to wait. Cano I think will come around, and he at least contributes defensively.

Please, please bring Shelly back up, and bench the Giambino.

• Jamal G. says:

And what, Shelley is supposed to be that much better than Giambi at 1B? Giambi can still pick it like a mother fucker, but other than that he doesn’t grade out well. Other than arm strength, what does Shelley do that much better at 1B than the Big G?

Like I said in the recap of last night’s game, Giambi started out so horribly in 2005 (not 2006 like I said earlier, my bad) that he was nearly headed to the minors. He bounced back to win AL Comeback Player of the Year and followed that up with a *OPS+ 148 in 2006. Give the man time, it’s stil April. Same goes for Johnny Damon, give him time. How many of you wrote off Bobby Abreu last year?

• LBA Prequel says:

I don’t know, fresh legs? A hot bat? Even if their defense is relatively equal – I’m not necessarily disputing that – look at Duncan since being sent down to AAA and having routine action. I can’t believe that there is even a discussion. Giambi can be as slow of a starter all he wants, but as far as I’m concerned, Duncan is a better option at first, until Giambi “comes around.”

• LBA Prequel says:

BTW – Duncan makes that diving catch, where Posada looks like he’s ready for a slip-and-slide. :p

• LBA Prequel says:

Never mind what I said about Cano’s defense…4th error on the year.

12. Jamal G. says:

LoL, Melky has really been flipping the bird to RAB this April.

…I’m sure you guys are quite pleased at that though. ;)

13. Number 27 says:

does damon make that catch?

14. Ivan says:

This is why the yankees made the right decsion inconcern with not trading for Santana. Not only for the pitchers (who will turn it around) but also to keep Melky. He’s a very good defensive CF like he shows right there and also he’s hitting the ball at a good rate.

15. mustang says:

At this rate they will not need to worry about Joba getting his 160 innings as a start he get them out of the pen. They will also have no pen by july.

16. mustang says:

Ensberg !!!!!!!

17. Jamal G. says:

Glad to see Cano taking the first three pitches, great sign.

18. Jamal G. says:

There you go Robbie. The BBs by Cano are a great sign, loving the patience.

19. Joey says:

Endsberg’s running in wet cement… and thats being nice

20. Jamal G. says:

Nice to see IPK sitting at 91-92.

21. Jamal G. says:

After seeing Carlos Pena for six games it really makes you appreciate actual defense and range at 1B.

22. Bruno says:

Jorge didn’t look bad at 1B. Only Sexson would’ve got that.

23. Jamal G. says:

God Damn IPK, 55 pitches through two innings!?

24. Jamal G. says:

MLB 2K8 Sucks, Go MLB 08 The Show!

• LBA Prequel says:

Totally agree. One of the reasons I bought my PS3 last summer was because I loved The Show, and had to have it. 2K is a disgrace…I’ve slowly abandoned all of their sports titles. I used to be a huge WSB/2K baseball fan as well as NFL 2K and NHL 2K, but since Madden got the exclusive license, and EA has reinvented video game hockey, The Show has finally decimated 2K baseball. Just absolute realism.

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah I Know, WSB/2K was the bes back then. Then EA completely and totally OWNED the baseball genre with MVP 2004 and 2005 (2005 is still the best baseball game EVER made, MLB 08 did bring it some competition though for the first time).

I was an NFL 2K fan as well but when I got the Gamecube I switched to Madden and have been a fan ever since.

• Mike A. says:

I downloaded the last system update and it screwed up my franchise. The last game I played hadn’t been played, but all the players had their stats from the game and were exhausted (everyone’s green bar was down to nothing, less than 25%).

It was weird.

• LBA Prequel says:

Strange…my ‘chise seems fine. Try posting your stuff at OperationSports.com forums, we’ve got a ton of people there that are awesome for problems like this. Even the developers for The Show frequent the forums…I’m kind of proud that I told them how to fix Wang’s animation (they didn’t have his hesitation at the top of the windup) during the early builds, and they did, lol.

• Jamal G. says:

Didn’t happen to me. Then again I have three chises (Yanks chise, Yanks fantasy draft chise and Marlins chise) so maybe it was too much to screw with, LoL.

I’m thinking about trading Johnny Damon to the Padres for Heath Bell (Pads have no quality OFers). I did make Joba into a starter but that means I would be left with Shelley Duncan as my 4th OF, which means Melky would have basically no true backup in CF.

25. mustang says:

Yes, isn’t youth wonderful.

26. Jamal G. says:

Two walks by Damon out of the leadoff spot for the second time in five games, gotta love it.

27. Jamal G. says:

Melk Man on a Mission!

28. It’s really hard watching a team that can’t hit with runners in scoring position…it’s so frustrating!

29. Jamal G. says:

Mike, is it true that the hamate surgery robs a player of his power for a year after said surgery? I keep hearing this but I don’t know if it’s just an excuse being put out there by Yankees/Mets fans to temper expectations on the power production this year from OFers Jose Tabata and Fernando Martinez or if this is actually true.

• Mike A. says:

I dunno if it’s a year, but it does limit a guys power for a while immediately after the surgery. This kinda sorta explains it. Wish I could be more help.

• Jamal G. says:

Yes, I wish you could have been more melp as well, LoL.

Seriously though thanks, when I read the names of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adrian Gonzalez I became more comfortable than I am about it. Also good to see James Loney in the article as he has yet to slug under .508 as a Major League 1B.

30. Kennedy doesn’t trust his stuff, he’s picking at corners and trying to get them to swing at garbage. He needs to throw strikes and trust his defense. This many pitches through 3 innings is not going to get the job done.

• LBA Prequel says:

Agreed, he’s got decent speed @ 91, if he could mix his stuff up and let the boys in the field do the job, he’ll be better off. He’ll get better at it.

• Mike P says:

I agree. Hughes and Kennedy have to stop picking at the corners. Make them beat you. Kennedy’s making every at bat difficult.

31. Rookrat says:

Are we going to have to walk Millar too, from now on? Kennedy should have-hell, he’s walking everybody anyway…

32. LBA Prequel says:

Joe out to the mound…ugh. Kennedy’s look when the camera panned to him says it all. He looks like a kid whose father is coming to spank him. :p

33. Mike A. says:

Girardi gave him quite the talking too there, heh.

34. Jamal G. says:

I think Girardi just scolded into IPK a bit.

35. Mike A. says:

Girardi’s pissed. That’s all the kids need, an aggravated manager on their asses.

• Ivan says:

Hey it worked with Scott Olsen right? Besides, lets be fair, you can live with hits, but with the walks and being behind hitters is just unacceptable.

36. Jamal G. says:

79 pitches after Ball 2 to Hernandez.

37. Jamal G. says:

I felt that hit, God Damn he crushed that.

38. LBA Prequel says:

Damn, Melky cannot play the bounces off the wall. They need to get him playing some racquetball.

39. Jamal G. says:

Joba is pissing me off. Why did he have to be so effective in the 8th? This would be the perfect time for him to come in, a la Santana circa 2003 and Liriano circa 2006.

40. mustang says:

Yeah Jamal G.. I am a little bitter. When you set money to the side each payday with your coworkers to pay outrages tickets prices to see your favorite team play. And they decide to put on an experiment in the youth movement you start becoming a little bitter.
    But funny line anyway.
    And sorry this just so frustrating to watch.

• Jamal G. says:

I’m sure 2005 and 2007 was just as frustrating but we got through those two seasons just fine.

Patience grasshopper (even though your like RAB’s senior citizen :) ).

41. Mike P says:

Fuck this I’m giving up. This kid has no confidence in his ability it’s unbeleivable after his first pro year. He just doesn’t look like challenging the hitters.

42. Ivan says:

Boy I can’t wait when April is over.

43. iYankees says:

Talk about an overworked bullpen. Good God.

44. LBA Prequel says:

Cashman looks like someone just crapped in his hat.

45. Jamal G. says:

Tim Lincecum is just disgusting.

46. LBA Prequel says:

Ugh. If we get shutout by the O’s, I may need take up excessive drinking.

47. Rookrat says:

Maybe Cano should pitch…

48. Jamal G. says:

YES’ radar gun sucks, they had Ohly at 91 the entire inning but Gameday had him at 95-96 MPH throughout the whole inning outside of one at 93.

49. mustang says:

I know most you are tried of me saying Santana and thats done because he is a Met. But its easy to say lets take a hit this year. Its hard to actually take it. Do you even have any idea what the chance are that these three guys turn out to be what they hope.
    Once again I don’t want to trade the farm, but as season ticket holder watch this is just unacceptable.
    I know it’s early. Hopeful these kids can find themselves.

50. Jamal G. says:

I know I’ve mentioned it in some way or form in almost every game thus far but Melky Cabrera has been nothing short of amazing to start the season.

51. BigBlueAL says:

i have to admit, im as BIG a Yankee fan as all u guys, but the free pass u guys give Hughes and Kennedy is embarrassing. u guys TORCH Kei Igawa, and so far this season, Hughes and Kennedy look worse than Igawa last year. let alone the horrible outings from De Salvo (after 2 good starts), Wright, Rasner and Karstens before injuries, Clippard after his debut vs the Mets, and the constant bashing of the veterans like Moose, Farnsworth and Hawkins. Yet Kennedy and Hughes get free passes. im the first to admit that they r young and have to be given time to develop, but this is getting ridiculous. like i said, all the other guys were sent down immediately after a couple of outings like Hughes and Kennedy have had and were roasted in the process. not to mention guys from 2005 like Redding and the overpaid Wright and Pavano. hell, where is Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon??? they pitched really good in 2005, and after a few bad starts/outings in 2006 they were gone. NOW of course im not saying get rid of IPK and Hughes, please dont get me wrong, but no matter how much i dont want to harp on it, the fact is Johan Santana will be brought up endlessly with regards to those two, and for good reason. hell, right now Melky is the one making the non-trade look good. and Yes the offense right now is beyond pathetic, but the difference is they have a track record and u know they will start not only hitting but mashing the ball, and unfortunately thats something Hughes and Kennedy dont have at the moment………

• Jamal G. says:

You want to go ahead and trash a 21 year old and a 23 year old in their first couple of starts in their first full big league season, then go right ahead. But be prepared to bite your tongue into oblivion a couple years from now.

It took Curt Schilling NINE seasons to post an above average *ERA+ in consecutive seasons, NINE.

Roger Clemens had an ERA of 4.32 his first season in the bigs. Josh Beckett had a 4.10.

Not everybody can be Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana to start their big league career.

• BigBlueAL says:

i UNDERSTAND that, but where was the same reasoning with the other guys i mentioned????? u guys r HOPING they turn out great, yet u rip the offense which u KNOW will hit the shit out of the ball soon, because they have a track record. i know its 100X more difficult for Hughes and Kennedy because they play in NY, in the AL, and have the pressure of not bein traded for Johan Santana, BUT ur tellin me they look as good as other youngsters like Cueto and Volquez from the Reds, or Cain and Lincecum for the Giants??? or even someone like Lackey when he was a rookie in 2002??? hell, look at Liriano in 2006 along with guys like Jared Weaver and when the Big 3 from the A’s came up. hell, just compare those 2 to Joba, there is no comparison. so why does Hughes and Kennedy get the free passes when all the above mentioned didnt need such a long time period of adjustment. hell, the fact that they both pitched good last year makes how they r pitching this year that much worse. u guys love that they were saved, but right now, i dont think Hank will be saving Cashman at the end of the season if things dont change in the near future…………

52. Jamal G. says:

We can tell Ken Singleton pays attention to his team’s farm system, good job guy. Matt WIETERS (Happy Mike…LoL) and Chris Tillman name drops on back-to-back days.

53. Mike A. says:

Ohlendorf is doing well, can’t complain about him at all.

54. Mike R. says:

Ohlendorf is the SHIZZ!!!!!!!! He is definitely a contender for the 8th inning spot.

55. mustang says:

I believe I can say this very strongly. It would of been easier to replace Melky then to find a 29 year old , Cy Young award winner in your league who is lefty. Case in point the last two days. Melky can hit all day long if they don’t pitch they don’t win games.
    I don’t want this to be a Santana argument because he is a Met. Something I’m sure us Yanks fans will be reminded by Mets fans everyday this season.

• Mike A. says:

Who needs Mets’ fans? Yankee fans remind of Santana more than enough.

• LBA Prequel says:

Melky can hit all day long if they don’t pitch they don’t win games.

True. But even with great pitching, they don’t win without at least a competent offense and good defense. If your team puts up zero runs against teams like the Orioles, how can, even with an ace like Santana, expect to beat the Red Sox?

56. mustang says:

At least I’m happy to see Cashman is there to see the monster he created.

• Mike A. says:

Yes, this horrible 9-10 monster. The Yankees were 8-11 and had allowed 14 more runs at this point last year.

• Jamal G. says:

Excuse me, 9-9. Don’t tell me you’ve conceded defeat and I’m the only sane one left…

• I am not only waving a white flag, I am swaddled in one. On it I have written “please stop beating our team, oh secret masters of pitching.” I am also writing a documentary about how Burres and Cabrera are actually aces but only pitch well against the Yankees because a lesser team would be incinerated by gazing upon their pitches.

• Rookrat says:

Good point…no reason to throw in the towel this early. We should be used to this by now-they’ll turn it around-always do!

57. mustang says:

Hopeful the kids will see better days.

58. Mike A. says:

Heh, Betances is having one of those nights.

7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 7 BB, 8 K, 2 WP

59. mustang says:

I know Jamal G.
    I hope your right about everthing.

60. We should just install blinking LEDs on our players a la Logan’s Run. When they get to flashing red we can invite them to ascend and then kill them/secretly harvest their genes for the next generation.

What the fuck…

• Logan’s Run is a hilarious campy 70′s sci-fi movie in which a computer has everyone over the age of 30 secretly killed (the reasons are a little unclear, robots are involved). It might not be a bad policy for the Yankees to adopt. I certainly have Old Yeller flashbacks whenever I see Moose on the mound.

• Jamal G. says:

Oh like that movie “Evil Dead” where they were attacked by zombies in that cabin in the woods. Lmao, a tree actually raped a girl in that flick.

61. Mike A. says:

Not with the barehand Ross!!!

62. Jamal G. says:

Ross Ohlendorf is a pimp. 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R/ER, 0 BB, 3 Ks and just 36 pitches to boot.

63. Jamal G. says:

It’s really going to be nice to see a battle for the set-up role between Ross Ohlendorf, Brian Bruney and possibly Kyle Farnsworth and J.B. Cox.

Who knows, maybe Humberto Sanchez will be in the mix come August.

64. Rookrat says:

This is just unreal…2 runs in the last 16 innings? Against the Birds? You’ve got to be kidding me.

• Jamal G. says:

Well when Daniel Cabrera has command you can’t put that on the Yankees offense. The man has the stuff to dominate. Just that his control/command is so inconsistent you nver know what your going to get every fifth day with the dude. Just so happens we got good Daniel and he flexed that nasty right arm of his.

Today IS on the offense. No weather complaints, just not hitting.

65. mustang says:

Yeah I’m talking about 1-5 with ERA too high to write.
    And last year they lost what half of there rotation to injuries in April. Just think if Wang got hurt ?
    And you think last year can just be done again ?
    ok
    Again It’s early I hope the kids can turn it around.

66. Rookrat says:

Let’s go Rangers!

67. Jamal G. says:

Jon Lester’s suckitude gives me great pleasure. Peter Gammons, your such a douche.

68. Joe says:

• Jamal G. says:

It’s more of who they would have brought in.

• Joe says:

Who and at what expense? I think people don’t realize that this approach is what has gotten the Yankees in trouble. Each year they brought in some pitcher from Weaver to Brown to Johnson to Pavano to Vasquez to Wright that was supposed to be fill out the rotation and it hasn’t worked. Got to give them credit for taking a different approach.

• Rookrat says:

Yeah, but they pass on Santana in his prime, and pick up Johnson when he’s at the end of his career…

• Jamal G. says:

I refuse to label Carl Pavano a bad signing. Was he a fucking bust? Absolutely, but if I remember correctly there was a “Carl-A-Palooza” for his services during that off-season where he visited SIX Major League cities that included Boston and Detroit.

It seems the Yankees cant win with the fans unless they actually do win. If they lose by playing with the youth then they were to tepid and banked too much on unproven talent. If they traded the farm and still lose then they are too short-sighted and overpay for over-the-hill veterans. It’s kind of annoying because the media has the same fucking thought process.

• BigBlueAL says:

the difference is Johan Santana is actually in his prime, and he is w/o a doubt the best LHP in baseball. and what a great time to become cheap, 1 freakin year before the Yankees get rid of approx. 86 million dollars in expiring contracts at the end of this seaosn.

• Mike A. says:

Yep. It woulda been Santana, Wang, Pettitte and pray for rain.

69. mustang says:

Jamal G
    I have been watching this game for a long time I know championship are not won in April.
    But it still angers me to watch my team lose in this fashion to a lesser team.

• Jamal G. says:

I get that man, I really do. Still the way you say it it’s like your already searching for alternatives to Hughes and Kennedy. I know we disagree from the start because you wanted Santana and I desperately didn’t want to see Hughes, Cabrea and two prospects go or Wang, Kennedy, Cabrera and another prospect go. You have realize that it’s EXTREMELY rare that young guns excel from the get-go. Just keep that in mind and realize that the Yankees had no chance of getting Johan -fucking- Santana without giving up Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy.

You have to realize the volumes that speaks to the taent and potential of these two young pitchers.

70. Joe says:

On another pitching note, our 4 minor league teams today have given up a combined 4 runs, including two shutouts. Good Stuff

71. Mike R. says:

Sorry to go off topic but I just read that former Catcher and co-host of MLB.com’s Leading off John Marzano passed away. He was 45.

72. mustang says:

“For all those who want Hughes and Kennedy bannished, who in the hell do you bring in?”
    No one Joe we are now struck with this.
    We can only hope that it works-out.

• Jamal G. says:

Phillip Hughes is 21 years old. Ian Patrick Kennedy is 23 years old.

I am glad we are “stuck” with two high ceiling (Yes, IPK is a high ceiling arm) arms that are about 5 years away from their prime.

• Joe says:

My point is more of, would you like the Yankees to be the proud owners of Barry Zito’s contract or would you like to see the Yankees change philosphy a bit and create some flexibility. This had to happen at some point. I don’t think anyone want’s it, but they had to rebuild at some point.

• Jamal G. says:

If you can look at this Yankees’ roster and say they are rebuilding then the 2007 World Series Boston Red Sox must be taking same road.

Honestly, take a look at both of their 25-man squads and tell me their is a talent gap.

• Joe says:

When I say rebuilding, I don’t mean they decided they couldn’t compete this year. I’m saying they are focused on playing young players, somewhat regardless of the consequences.

• BigBlueAL says:

the day it was PUBLICLY stated by Hank and Cashman that basically what stood between the Yanks and JOHAN SANTANA was Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes, u basically doomed those 2 for failure. id rather be “stuck” with high ceiling arms that looks like Cueto and Volquez from the Reds, or Lincecum and Cain from the Giants. hell, did u see Niemann’s 1st start for the Rays??? and Price in Spring Training??? i actually think what all this should prove is that Joba has to go to the rotation eventually. because THATS a special, untradeable arm.

• Jamal G. says:

Yes and Phil Hughes is piece o’ shit worthless arm worthy of garbage time out of the pen all based on his 3 gargantuan starts this year.

Never mind him being a #1 pitching prospect over the guys you just mentioned entering into the 2007 season. Never mind his September and post season October starts. Those mean dick compared to the month of April.

Can’t wait to see what you have to say when Johnny Cueto, Tim Linceucm and Edison Volquez all struggle at some point this season.

BTW, Tim Lincecum was a college pitcher and turns 24 in less than 60 days. Edison Volquez turns 25 in July and has a career ERA of 6.23 in 23 games (20 starts). All the while Mr. Hughes is 21 years old and still a year younger than Johnny Cueto.

73. Joey says:

I have to be one of the biggest supporters of Hughes and IPK. After watching both have relatively good (or better) games, it doesn’t matter how well they pitch because the offense right now is doing shit. At least their outings are improving. Plus Ohlie pitched pretty well

74. Jamal G. says:

That kid with the “Joba Rules” T deserves to be on this site, minus the hot chicks of course, LoL.

Best site ever.

75. Jamal G. says:

Kick Save…………..AND A BEAUTY!

76. BigBlueAL says:

i think Hughes and Kennedy should actually get mad when Joba comes in cause it makes them look like shit compared to him….can u imagine a rotation of Santana, Wang, Pettitte and Joba!!!!!! jk

• Jamal G. says:

Liar, your not joking one bit.

Did you not read my response to your comment about Lincecum, Cueto and Volquez? They are so God Damn young.

• Jamal G. says:

LoL, I realized I wrote that after you posted this comment. So go read my response dammit. :)

• BigBlueAL says:

fine, ill admit it, which roatation would u rather have then???? our current or the one i mentioned???????????? we have Joba, why do we also need to hold on so desperately to Hughes and especially Kennedy when JOHAN SANTANA was available???????????????????? like i said, u CANT DISMISS that, the Yankees put that bullseye on those 2 by publicly admitting those 2 were off-limits even for Johan, so those 2 unfortunately have to live up to that for the next few years. u cant hide from that fact, and like i mentioned, they did a DISSERVICE to those 2 by basically admitting they were the reasons the Yanks didnt get Johan Santana.

• Jamal G. says:

No no no. The media and some of the fans are the ones who are putting this proverbial bullseye on Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. They “unfortunately have to live up to that” because some fans lose their heads when the team is losing, even though it’s the middle of fucking April.

“We have Joba, why do we also need to hold on so desperately to Hughes and especially Kennedy…”. Wow, so because you have one high ceiling arm why in God’s name do you need another? Well I guess your right, I mean the Twins had Francisco Liriano so why do you think they traded Johan Santana. The Giants have Tim Lincecum, guess there is no need for Matt Cain. The Tigers just drafted Rick Porcello, guess that’s adios to Justin Verlander, the worthless fuck. The Reds had Johny Cueto, what a bunch of dumb asses for trading Josh hamilton to get Edison Volquez. The Red Sox have Josh Beckett, why the fuck did they refuse to include Clay Buchholz in any package for Johan Santana? I’m assuming you get the point by now.

Like we’ve said before, to judge the trade on this season just makes no sense. No one is saying 2008 Phil Hughes is better than 2008 Santana for the 2008 Yankees. We are saying 2008-2015 Phil Hughes is better for the Yankees than 2008-2015 Johan Santana.

• Travis G. says:

are you so myopic that you cant see past 3 weeks of baseball?

• BigBlueAL says:

honestly, its just really boils down to i thought they shouldve traded for Santana and u guys didnt think so. look, i dont want to have this turn into a start-by-start analysis of Hughes and Kennedy, because believe it or not, i hope they both turn out to be studs, even though obviously it doesnt look like it by my comments.

77. Whitey14 says:

Not that you guys want to hear this right now, but after Lester’s crappy outing in Boston tonight, Manny went yard again in the bottom of the eighth, Sox won 5-3.

I understand your frustration with the young pitchers right now though. Lester and Buchholz have pretty much sucked thus far as well. They’ve each had a decent start and two or three lousy ones. I think the only difference in the two teams right now is that, for the most part, Boston is hitting when they need to and the yanks aren’t.

The yanks have started slowly several times recently and they always end up okay. They’ll find their groove and things will start clicking.

• Jamal G. says:

Shh, by that logic Johan Santana would be rendered worthless on this team right now. Can’t let some of our fans hear that.

• BigBlueAL says:

just THANK GOD the Red Sox didnt get Johan Santana………

• Whitey14 says:

I was hoping Lester would be headed to Minny with some other prospects. Not Buchholz or Ellsbury, but definitely Lester. He’s at best a 12-15 win guy with a 4-4.50 ERA. Clearly better suited for the back of the rotation.

• BigBlueAL says:

to be honest, i compare Lester’s ceiling to Kennedy’s. with the difference is that Lester has a WS victory on his record (unfortunately)

78. Jamal G. says:

Baltimore Orioles or not, shutouts get to me.

79. mustang says:

“about 5 years away from their prime.”
    You mean have 5 more years of this shit please,
    Whitey14 shot me now. LOL
    Knowledge from a Red Sox fans I’m truly in hell. LOL
    And Joe
    Barry Zito and Santana two different animals.

• Jamal G. says:

You see the beauty of having high ceiling arms is that as their prime is so fucking good, that as they reach it they are already above average Major League pitchers. Josh Beckett was not in his prime in 2003, but he was damn good wasn’t he? Clay Buchholz is not in his prime but the dude threw a no hitter. Johnny Cueto is not in his prime but he struck out 10 in his Major League debut.

Phil Hughes was injured during his no hit bid in his second major league start and got the Yankees their only post season victory in their last seven post season games. Ian Kennedy had a video game-ish *ERA+ 236 in his first three starts as a Major Leaguer. They have ups and downs as they they learn the Major League level on the way to reaching their ceiling. All of them grow through it.

80. mustang says:

Everyone have a good night even with the score.

81. BigBlueAL says:

just wanted to say before everyone leaves and brands me a hater, im a HUGE YANKEE fan who is stuck in Miami and LOVE the fact that this blog gives me a place to talk with fellow Yankees fans. u dont know how much shit i take about the Yankees down here believe it or not. i spend 160 bucks for the package just to be able to see the Yankees everyday, and even if they lose every stinking game, ill be there watching no matter what. let me say again, i HOPE Hughes and Kennedy become studs, but i just am in the camp that thinks they shouldve traded those 2 if they had to for Johan because they STILL wouldve had Joba, the real gem of the “Big 3″. and again, THANK GOD every day that the Red Sox didnt get him, basically leaving the Sox and Yanks even in my eyes. no matter what i say, i love all u guys in the short time ive been reading/commenting on this site, and hope to keep up the great conversation with everyone. no matter what, the main point is, GO YANKEES!!!!!!

• Jamal G. says:

Nobody is saying your a hater. We’re just saying it’s APRIL, and just sit back and relax a bit. I get your frustrated, sure we would all love to see Hughes and Kennedy start their careers like Pedro Martinez but that shit just does not happen. Relax man, and just think of the future where Mets fans will be stuck with an aging Johan Santana in 4 years that is the shell of his former sel while we will have potentialy THREE aces in the rotation with Joba Chamberlian, Phil Hughes and Andrew Brackman.

• BigBlueAL says:

Johan will only be what, 32 or 33 in 4 years???? thats not that old!!! anyway ur right about Brackman and Betances as well, although he is a bit further down the line hopefully. plus the young arms who should help the pen soon. hey, i had a LONG day today, had to umpire 3 games in a row in a brutal sun (believe it or not, it was “only” 83 degrees and wasnt that hot) and was lookin forward to comin home and watching the Yanks….

• Jamal G. says:

Oh your an ump? Cool. I have one question, how in the hell do you guys judge whether a pitch is too low or not. I swear every time I’ve been called on strikes on a low pitch I just think to myself, there is no way in hell you could have seen where that pitch was. How the hell do you guys judge that?

• BigBlueAL says:

i hardly ever call low strikes, im more willin to call a high strike. one thing i definitely do though is give a little extra on the corners, especially outside corners (Maddux would love me)

82. Jamal G. says:

Joe Girardi ready to smack a bitch.

83. Manimal says:

Anyone notice IPK doing the Mussina bend and pitch.

84. Jamal G. says:

BTW, the Three True Outcomes of a pitcher are BBs, Ks and HRs. Ian Kennedy is owning bitches in two out of those three so that is a good sign. Hughes hasn’t been striking guys out but it’s not like guys are smacking the hell out of the ball either.

No HRs for both through 30.1 innings while Mr. Johan Santana has given up 5 in 27.2 innings after giving up 33 last year. I believe it was you guys here at RAb that first mentioned that stat but it just goes to show you that even through all their struggles it can all be traced to lack of command some nights and lack of control other nights. It has never been their stuff and that’s one big positive to take from this.

85. Travis G. says:

one of those games where the ump MADE kennedy throw the ball down the heart of the plate in order to call a strike. wtf’s a pitcher supposed to do? even walter johnson would’ve had a tough day.