Apr

Game 28: Brittongate Continues

Not a whole lot to say before today’s game that we haven’t already discussed today. But it appears that Brittongate continues, as the hefty righty has been optioned out in favor of Edwar Ramirez. Britton made zero appearances during his brief stint with the Yanks, and you have to wonder why the Yanks refuse to use the guy. I guess they like what they have in Edwar better.

Really, it comes down to usage. There’s no sense in having a seven-man bullpen if you’re only going to use six of the guys. So as long as Girardi is going to use Edwar, I’m cool with this. But if he’s going to rot like Britton has the past few days, well, I’d be just as content to call up another bench player (though I have no idea who), considering A-Rod‘s injury.

Anyway, here’s the lineup.

1. Johnny Damon, CF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Bobby Abreu, RF
4. Hideki Matsui, LF
5. Jason Giambi, DH
6. Shelley Duncan, 1B
7. Morgan Ensberg, 3B
8. Robinson Cano, 2B
9. Chris Stewart, C

And on the mount, number thirty-four, Phil Hughes.

Categories : Game Threads

1. J.R. says:

Posada is seeing a second doctor for another opinion, that kind of points to bad news from the first doctor. Crossing my fingers on this one.

But a point on Edwar, last time he was up he pitched 2.1 innnings. My guess is that Giardi thought he could go longer out of the pen. After all, the pen has been used pretty heavily.

2. Jamal G. says:

We all liked what we saw in those 23 pitches last week from Phil Hughes so let’s see if that basically nine day rest is going to affect him any.

Look out for this week’s Costas Now on HBO. Will Leitch of DeadSpin.com and FireJoeMoran’s own Michael Schur (Ken Tremendous) will join a panel to discuss the internet and the impact of bloggers. It’s on tonight at 10PM EST but re-airs throughout the week.

3. mustang says:

I’m hoping to see a big game from Hughes. After the end of that crazy road trip and with all that’s going on with this team it would be nice. Here is the chance of making sure his team ends the month of April over .500 and also keeping him and his boy from going 0 for April.
    I know it’s early and he is young, but it would show some balls if he pitched well.
    Will it be a big deal if doesn’t? No.
    Still it would shut some people up including me.

4. Brett says:

Why not get Rasner up here so we’d have a real long man and avoid burning the pen every other day?

5. BigBlueAL says:

well, at least Chris Stewart gets to face Kenny Rogers in his first start with the Yankees…….

6. Link says:

It was a joke last year but I’m beginning to honestly think that someone has something against Britton. It doesn’t make sense why he wasn’t used in the 4-3 loss and it doesn’t make sense that he wasn’t used last night. And now he is shuttled out without anything but warming up a few times. I love Edwar but I really wonder what’s up with Britton getting jerked around.

• Jamal G. says:

If it was anyone but Edwar Ramirez being called up I would care a lot more. But I have wanted Ramirez in the Major League bullpen all year long so just because it’s him, this is of no bother to me. The treatment of Chris Britton at the Major League level is puzzling though.

7. Jamal G. says:

WHy does Jimmy Leyland insist on batting Gary Sheffield 3rd? I get that he may have th most patience out of Magglio Ordonez, Miguel Cabrera and himself but at this point in his career he clearly the inferior hitter of the three. Does the tad bit of extra speed and OBP skills warrant not putting out your best possible lineup with Ordonez and Cabrera going third and fourth, respectively?

This is almost as puzzling as Joe Maddon’s decision batting Carl Crawford second to lead-off hitter Akinori Iwamura.

8. Joseph P. says:

Rasner pitched Sunday, so there was no chance of him being called up tonight.

9. Jamal G. says:

Good news from Alan Horne’s father, he says that Horne threw from flat-ground at 90″ yesterday and plans to do the same today. They will improve that to 120″ later in the week and he will begin to throw his breaking balls from the same distance on flat-ground later this week as well. Next Tuesday is the planned date as of now where Horne would throw off a mound.

10. LiveFromNewYork says:

We should start a letter writing campaign to the beat writers, to the Yankees etc about Chris Britton. This is ridiculous and someone should be asking questions. WTF is up with this? It’s crazy.

11. Link says:

damn Doc looks like he’s still on that stuff. :(

12. Jamal G. says:

Uncle Charlie literally beat the hell out of Sheffield on that last one, God Damn.

13. Jamal G. says:

Johnny Damon’s arm or his lazy play just pissed me off to no end.

14. Jamal G. says:

Screw it, gave up a couple runs but he only threw 17 pitches to the tune of a near 2:1 K:B.

15. Link says:

hmm..tougher drug testing and all of a sudden Kenny Rogers sucks again…

16. Jamal G. says:

I like Al Leiter but how is throwing your breaking pitches when you are ahead in the count considered “reverse pitching”?

17. Yankee1010 says:

Mark Wegner calling Hughes’ game again. Hopefully, he’s not the complete piece of shit he was in Kansas City.

18. Jamal G. says:

Is it just me or has Derek Jeter been uber-aggressive to start this season?

19. Link says:

its not just you…why is Kay trying to show up Leiter?

20. iYankees says:

i think kay made a good point, actually.

21. Link says:

rally killed by the big G.

22. cjc says:

giambi predictable ugh

23. Pedro says:

Why does Giambi suck so hard?

24. I think Kay made a terrible point…I don’t care if you’re 10 years old you need a day off. We need Melky to stay healthy with Jorge and A-Rod out right now. Give him a day to recharge a little bit, my only problem is that Damon sucks but that’s not Melky or Girardi’s fault. We could have Bret Gardner as a utility outfielder…I’m just sayin’.

• Yankee1010 says:

Yeah, but the defense is killing Hughes every freaking game. The day to take Melky out of center is when Wang or Pettitte is pitching, i.e. 2 groundball pitchers.

• iYankees says:

i wouldn’t say it’s a terrible point. we can debate its validity, but terrible? eh, i don’t know. everyone needs a day off but does a 24 year old need a day off when he’s swinging the bat well and only around 30 games into the season? again, that’s debatable.

• Chris says:

The fact that he wore down in Sept/Oct last ear indicates that Melky probably could have used some more time off. Did he need it today? I don’t know, but you could ask that about any day you choose to give him off.

• Yankee1010 says:

So you’re saying that the time to give him off is not when a groundball pitcher is pitching? Yes, he needs time off. Woulnd’t it make sense to give him time off when he won’t be needed as much?

25. Jamal G. says:

Mike, I am a big proponent of your idea to sign Juan Rivera as a stopgap and letting Bobby Abreu walk especially since there’s the possibility of Mark Teixeira taking over his #3 spot in the batting order. With the supplemental pick (and a potential complimentary 1st. RD pick) we would be getting it just makes great sense to let him go. However, the rabid fan base and idiotic media are not going to understand the decision I expect. Supplemental draft picks aren’t quite in the vocabulary of those in the NY media and the casual Yankees fan.

26. iYankees says:

haha, leiter and flaherty got pissed at kay.

27. Link says:

I remember when Pudge first signed and everyone was like, ‘the Tigers?’ and they sucked and everyone laughed but look at the Tigers now…Gonzalez was a fool lol…

28. Mike A. says:

Johan gave up another homer tonight.

HR given up by Johan in 2008: 6
    HR given up by Hughes in 2008: 0

Useless info, I know. But I have to maintain my status as RAB’s resident Hughes apologist.

29. Mike A. says:

Robbie needed that in the worst way.

30. Jamal G. says:

Vaya Cano, lo mantiene viniendo!

31. Dave says:

Does anyone else think John Sterling needs to have his depth perception checked? Maybe his eyes are failing him after all these years. He went into his home run call for Ensberg’s fly to left. He really can’t be that wrapped up in himself to make the mistake as often as he has this year. It really kills me, as I live outside the YES Network region and rely on the radio and Gameday Audio for my live Yankees entertainment…

32. iYankees says:

Hopefully he can have a big game. Rogers must have forgotten that pine tar.

33. Mike A. says:

It’s about the number of lines on their baseball card? What the hell is Kay talking about?

34. Link says:

well so much for that.

35. Mike A. says:

That was a bomb. I jinxed that shit good I see.

36. LiveFromNewYork says:

I fear Philly is going to start hearing some boos at the Stadium.

And I’d hate to hear that.

37. iYankees says:

that’s what you get mike, ha.

38. Ramadan says:

he deserves it

39. Mike A. says:

Good to see the strike zone is shriveling too.

40. Yankee1010 says:

Hmmmm…., Wegner having an awful strike zone. Curious. Oh, no, not a surprise at all. Mark, can we introduce you to a tail pipe to suck on.

41. Mike A. says:

My fault. I should have shut the fuck up about Johan.

42. Jamal G. says:

Too many Curveballs, especially to a good breaking ball hitter like Sheff.

43. Ramadan says:

tired of you guys making excuses for Phil

44. Link says:

good night. Thanks again Mike for the no HR comment lol….

45. Mike W says:

Seriously, this is like watching a train wreck.

46. mustang says:

I thinking they trying to get all 6 this inning.

47. cjc says:

another nice start from the franchse and stewart= awesome

48. Manimal says:

I-do-not-like-chris-stewart. He is costing runs now.

49. iYankees says:

gonna be a long night.

50. Mike A. says:

Can’t spell Hughes without “ugh.”

51. iYankees says:

when hughes gets his first win, i’m going to get so drunk.

52. Pedro says:

Aight, I’m sorry but at this point he just doesn’t know where his FB is going. He will be better off in the minors.

53. KW says:

Well it’s definitely growing pains, but let’s hope for the best!

54. Ramadan says:

blame stewart……….HUGHES THROWS 90

55. cjc says:

one of these kids is going to lose their spot fairly soon

56. cjc says:

do you think flaherity could catch jesus wtf

57. Jamal G. says:

LoL Chris Stewart…You Fail. :)

58. Pedro says:

And by the way, who had the brilliant idea of bringing up a blind catcher

59. iYankees says:

i feel like he doesn’t trust his fastball enough. granted, he may be worried about his location, but maybe he should be trying to use his fb and his changeup earlier in the game (or to get ahead of guys more) and then mix in the curveball a bit more. more curveballs later on, less in the beginning (or he can use them in the beginning but primarily to k guys and not get ahead).

60. mike says:

if i hear Hughes is the youngest player in the majors again im going to puke – he , perhaps, does not belong in the Majors? With most pitches per inning, shortest starts, winless on a 90+ win team – basically unaccceptable

61. McLovin says:

Hughes is sucking the largest nutsack on the face of this earth

62. mustang says:

63. JT says:

I think its time to send Hughes back to the minors to get fixed.

64. LiveFromNewYork says:

Maybe if these kids had the benefit of the same catcher more than once.

65. mike says:

and as much as I love Giambino – i think I love the “idea” of Giambino – big power. OBP, deeper lineup – can someone tell me if he continues as he is thus far, and Jorge is unable to throw ( work with me folks) for the rest of the year – do we give Jason another 60 AB’s then cut him and put Jorge at the primary DH/ alt 1B?

66. Jamal G. says:

Tonight:

Johan Santana-2 HRs
    Phillip Hughes-2 HRs

Santana 08 Salary- $16,984,216
    Hughes 08 Salary- $406,350

67. iYankees says:

i wonder how pissed hank steinbrenner is right now.

68. joba says:

hughes career is over

69. iYankees says:

nate mclouth hit another homer, wow (yea, that’s random).

70. Joseph P. says:

What’s really pissing me off about Hughes is his inability to cope with guys getting hits off him. Or to having guys on base. I guess that’s one of the paradoxes to dominating the minors. He’d cruise through five innings of work in the minors and have one, maybe two runners reach base. That’s just not going to happen at this level.

And, to be clear, this is not making excuses. Clearly, if he doesn’t adjust, he’s going to fail.

That said, Chris Stewart is all kinds of bad.

• Jamal G. says:

To be deeply honest, I think that is the root of all evils thus far for Phillip Hughes. I really feel you can trace back most, if not all of his issues to this theory. Of course I don’t have the numbers to back this up at this point and it’s all speculation but I really believe this to be true.

71. Jamal G. says:

JON LESTER HAS A NO-HITTER THROUGH FOUR INNINGS!!!!

Jinxes are for real dammit.

72. mustang says:

Well might as well have fun with this # of innings on Hughes.
    Anyone ?

73. A.D. says:

Hughes &IPK just keeps bleeding this team (though IPKs last start was good enough) which they can’t afford, with the lack of hitting on top of it they aren’t covering any mistakes, if IPK can get a win on thurs he may save Hughes getting another start, else Rasner has been pitching too well in AAA to be ignored.

74. KW says:

rogers sucking more than phil

75. Jamal G. says:

That Detroit bullpen makes my mouth water. 73 pitches thus far for Kenny Rogers.

76. iYankees says:

nice patience from cano

77. Jamal G. says:

No runs but Kenny Rogers is up to 75 pitches so if we can avoid a 1-2-3 inning our next AB, we should get into that catastrophe of a bullpen for Detroit.

78. iYankees says:

you know, that was a tough out, but at least he didn’t go up there hackin.

79. Jamal G. says:

That “Bull” commercial just amuses me to no end.

80. Jamal G. says:

Hey my jinx worked, Jon Lester lost his bid for a no-no by giving up a lead off single to Lyle Overbay in the top of the 5th.

81. mike says:

Im not going to mind a 88 win/ non-playoff season if there is growth, but if we are stuck with Jaba in pen all year bbecause we are on outskirts of pennant race and IPK and Philly-boy do not mature, we will have to look again at Mr. Cashman and his inability to judge pitching. No doubt Phil has disappointed so far this year and we expect him to bounce back, and IPK was a No 1 pick, but the road is littered with stud minor league pitchers – the GM’s who keep their jobs on a team make the right choices

• JT says:

The Yankees have made it clear all year that Joba will be switched to the rotation. They are not as stupid as the mediots out there.

82. mustang says:

Can’t wait to see the spin on this one.

83. JT says:

his curveball is nasty this inning. Was it this good all day or just this inning

84. KW says:

The third time for phil through the order will be interesting, as he got absolutely tattooed. Hopefully he continues to utilize that change.

85. A.D. says:

Hopefully Leiter is jinxing the detroit pen

86. Jamal G. says:

LoL this is funny, Melky Cabrera would have saved a r run in the 1st if he was in CF and Johnny Damon would probably have made that catch with his speed in LF.

87. JT says:

Mad matsui and his terrible defense…

88. JT says:

Fielding their worse defense probably doesnt help Phil out one bit.

89. Jamal G. says:

That Curveball was belt-high you prick.

90. Sciorsci says:

Are these fans f’ing kidding with booing Hughes? He’s 21. Yes, he’s struggling, but it’s not like he’s trying to suck. What is booing him going to accomplish, besides risking getting inside his head long term?

• Jamal G. says:

They booed LaTroy Hawkins on Opening Day because of a number, you really find it surprising they’re booing Phil Hughes? Fuck the idiots, rational fans know where we stand.

• claybeez says:

I put nothing past fans at the stadium. They boo, because everyone’s supposed to be as perfect as they are. They boo because their buddies do. They boo just to be heard.

• Mike A. says:

They’re the same people that chanted “We want Ber-nie” on Opening Day 2006. Not the brightest candles on the cake.

91. Mike W says:

If we put Hughes and Kennedy as our combined fifth starter, we could just count a loss every fifth day this season and let them grow up together. Let one start the game, get rocked for four innings and then let the other come in and get rocked for four innings. Then, the next game, let the other one start the game.

This is seriously getting painful to watch. I realize they are young, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t painful to watch. They are absolutely wrecking our bullpen for the season.

This just in: SWEET, here comes Ohlendorf! Another bombing coming…

92. mustang says:

I win 4 inning my prize another Yankees lost and back to .500.
    Just what I wanted.

93. A.D. says:

After thant, they just need to send hughes down, let him get some confidence on AAA hitters, give Rasner a go, at least he should give innings.

94. Joseph P. says:

Mustang wins in such a disappointing fashion. Two easy groundball outs, and Phil comes completely undone.

95. cjc says:

well phil its been nice but it can’t keep going like this see you in swb

96. Pfistyunc says:

I think Hank should make Phil wear #57 to remind everyone that we passed on a chance to get the best pitcher in favor of keeping Hughes. D’oh!

• Jamal G. says:

If you’re going to be short-sighted be consistent with it. Because if he turns it around (don’t want to jinx Hughes) I don’t want to hear crap from fans on your side of the fence.

• Pfistyunc says:

Fair enough. Those who know me, (Joe can vouch) know that I have been vehemently opposed to Cashman’s decision to choose Hughes over Johan. I am just surprised at how this glaring error has become evident so quickly. Flip over Hughes baseball card and it really is hard to imagine a starter pitching worse. That WHIP is unbelievable.

• cjc says:

too early for that santana crap because of his age but clearly phil is not mlb ready he bascally gives this team no chance to win especially at home the kid needs to suck it up yankee stadium is your home get fucking used to it if you want ot be a yankee

• LiveFromNewYork says:

Rumor had it that you were dead.

97. cjc says:

well if trends continue ohlie in a game = loss

98. Jamal G. says:

LoL, that hat Chris Rock is wearing is the same hat he wore in that Red Hot Chilly Peppers video that he was in.

99. joba says:

wow hughes should retire. i dont care if hes 21. gallardo was 21 last year and had nine wins and a 3.67 era. phil hughes is done, just like a turkey on thanksgiving day.

100. Newman says:

I know this site is insanely pro-Hughes, but at what point do we say, OK…he’s 21 years old, let’s let him work out his issues down in the minors then bring him up later in the season? He is doing himself no good pitching 3 innings every game and getting rocked, and he’s certainly doing the pen no good either

• Joseph P. says:

I’m addressing that after the game. The short version is that I’d be all for sending him to AAA if I thought it would help. Not that it couldn’t help. But I have my doubts.

• Newman says:

Obviously you can’t give up on him, but come on, its only April. Let Rasner come up here and start for a few weeks or however long Phil needs to work out his mechanics/confidence issues, then bring him back up when he’s mentally ready. Our pen is going to be shot by June if this keeps up

• A.D. says:

I definitly think it will help, he’s gotta be in his head a bit, so much of pitching is the confidence, he’d be back in a month and pitching how we expect.

Else he needs to change the number back to 65

• LiveFromNewYork says:

Why don’t we put him in the pen? Each solution begs the question: who comes to the rotation? It’s too early for Joba.

• mike says:

agreed with the pen – bring up Rasner and have him take his slot – put hughes in the long relief roll that they are jamming Ollie into

• Pfistyunc says:

The only problem with that is that there wouldn’t be enough work for him. It is much better to send him to AAA to start than to waste away in the bullpen.

101. Jamal G. says:

I am glad I’m picking up my copy of Grand Theft Auto IV tomorrow because I won’t have to focus in on all this potential BS that’s going to be written or spoken about Phil Hughes.

• Newman says:

What sort of BS? I’m curious

• Jamal G. says:

LoL, I have no idea if you’re being sarcastic or not so I’ll answer your question.

The BS as in everyone from Joel Sherman to Mike & The Mad Dog (Mike already advocating for a mid-season pickup for BRONSON ARROYO, no matter the cost of prospects…God Damn idiot) writing or speaking about how Phil Hughes needs to be in the minors. Writing or speaking about how Hank Steinbrenner is going to make Brian Cashman pay and how he is going to blow a lid and become the real Boss Jr. Writing and speaking about how all the “I told you so” crap about how the Yankees should have traded for Johan Santana. All this shit about how Hank isn’t going to take it and rumors flying about Roy Oswalt or whatever pitcher they themselves deem available.

• Newman says:

Why is it so ridiculous that he needs to be in the minors? Take your Hughes-colored glasses off for one second. He is 21 years old and is a key part of our future. What good is it doing him being up here right now? He has no command of his pitches, he’s clearly losing confidence (naturally, with the way he’s been pitching), why not let him work out the kinks in AAA? He is getting through 3 innings a game, thereby killing our pen. There’s plenty of season left, it’s not like we’re banishing him to the minors forever. Bring up Rasner for a little and let him be the 5th starter, it’s not like he can do any worse. Or, we can continue to make excuses for him every performance and insist that he’s going to turn it around in the near future so we can give the big F you to all the naysayers. I think the first choice is more productive.

102. Jamal G. says:

Four outs, zeros, 2Ks. Looks like Ross Ohlendorf is back on his game.

103. joba says:

yea he should change back to 65!!!!!!!

104. mustang says:

Lesson here guys lets not compare Hughes and Johan for another 5 years.
    That what you promise Jamal G, 5 years right. I’m so looking forward to 2013.
    Have a good night guys. I have to face my Mets fan coworkers. What fun?
    Because meanwhile in Queens.

105. joba says:

hughes has thrown 94.2 innings, close enough

106. Jamal G. says:

You know one thing that we really have to take a positive from in this early season, there is nobody in this bullpen (other than LaTroy Hawkins at worst) that we just want to look away when one of them takes the mound. I’m really liking this part of our team. My faith in Kyle Farnsworth seems to be paying off in small increments and for the most part the kids have been good.

107. Mike W says:

Jamal,
    At what point this season do you say, “we have to do something with Hughes”. I am not saying now is the time, but how many starts do you run him out there for before it makes sense to say, something isn’t right. As Yankee fans who pay a zillion dollars for tickets, we all have the right to wonder what is best for our team in the future AND right now.

• Newman says:

Agreed, also Jamal, please respond to my reply of your post about the media BS about Hughes

• Jamal G. says:

Like I said in response to Mike W, I just feel a demotion to the minors will not be productive to Phil Hughes’ confidence. You speak of him as he is absolutely lost and his pitches are just not getting the job done. I feel that is incorrect, I feel that his pitches have been sharp. His fastball velocity (yes, that hot topic) has topped out at 95MPH while he continually sits at 91-93MPH every start. His Curveball has been absolutely filthy and he has frequented the Changeup in his last couple of starts that has produced more than its share of swing & misses.

What I feel is wrong with Hughes is a combination of things that are out of his control (defense, bad pitch selection in this case and pressure to keep every single run off the board due to lack of offense) and his inability to consistently keep his command in order when runners get on base and he gets in jams. He has shown that he is affected when runners get a hit or two here and there because like RAB author Joe pointed out previously, he was do dominant in his minor league stints that he really never had to deal with jams. If my statistical memory serves me correct, Phil Hughes has NEVER loaded the bases in his ENTIRE minor league career. That’s amazing.

Do I think he should stay in the Major Leagues no matter his struggles? Of course not but I do not see him being over matched and as of now I don’t see the production in sending him down.

• Jamal G. says:

To be honest until tonight’s start I would have said I couldn’t tell you. He was doing well in the majority of the Three Outcomes for a pitcher (BBs, HRs, Ks) so I felt that most of his struggles were due to bad luck, bad defense and lack of fastball command. Due to his outing tonight I can say bad defense as well with a little bit of bad luck to go along with quite honestly a bad called game. Of course those are the minor issues in comparison to Phil Hughes’ overall ineffectiveness tonight and in the 2008 season but issues nonetheless.

I hold the future of the Yankees organization in a higher regard than I do the 2008 season and that’s just the honest truth. I realize I am in the extreme minority with this opinion but it is mine nonetheless. Therefore I do no want to see Phil Hughes in the minor leagues because what I continue to see from him is just one little thread here and there that’s being pulled that causes the whole sweater to unravel in a sense. Hughes in the minors will not be of benefit to his development as a potential future ace (which yes, he is projected to be) and if that means sacrificing the 2008 season, then IMO so be it.

108. joba says:

revert olhy back to a starter

109. Jamal G. says:

Great pitching duel at Fenway, into the Top of the 9th and both starters (Roy Halladay and Jon Lester) have thrown eight scoreless.

110. BigBlueAL says:

i just got home, saw the score, read every single comment here, and it still AMAZES me how most of the people here still defend Hughes like he is Jesus Christ. im not against the kid or anything, but the fact is, we shouldve had Johan fucking Santana pitching tonight for us instead of for the fuckin Mets. last season Igawa started off pitcing just as bad, actually BETTER, than Hughes and Kennedy have so far, and he was KILLED to no end. i too have stated here for awhile that we shouldve gotten Santana, and ill admit if it wasnt for the fact we couldve gotten him for the weaker 2 of the “Big 3″ i would be defending them as much as u guys. i mean we make stupid ass trades for Vazquez, then further complicate it by tradin him for Big Unit, trade for Kevin Brown, give insane money to scrubs Pavano and Jaret Wright, yet the best LHP in baseball is staring u in the face, u dont have to give up ur top prospect (Joba) and u pass on him. cmon. anyway, there was my rant, still have faith we will comeback though.

• Charles says:

Joba as the top prospect at that time? Man,that would start up some debate no?

• mike says:

Agreed – we are not the Twins or Indians – we are the richest team in baseball, with the largest fan base and attendence ovwer 4million a year, selling out a dump in the Bronx and all of spring training as well. we give 20 million to a shortstop with no rangeand no pop, we have Godzuki not Godzilla and we signed Cano to a deal we didnt have to – so we dont get the best pitcher in baseball who has provenb he can pitch in the AL ?? and do not give up one starting player to do so?? Nice knowing you Cassh

• BigBlueAL says:

whoa whoa whoa, i didnt say all that. Jeter makes that much cause we paid him in 2001. Cano’s deal makes alot of sense, i know he will be a beast by end of season cause he has a track record. Godzilla at 13 million per season is fine. i was just talkin about this past off-season in regards to the decisions we’ve made in the past with starting pitching. i like Cashman and like what he is trieing to do, but since we supposedly have all this depth now with prospects in the lower levels as well, that allows u to make trades for pitchers like Johan w/o completely tradin away ur minor-league system. again, to me, if Joba wasnt to be included, u make that trade for Johan w/o hesitation.

• mike says:

I hear ya – most everything Cash did made sense at the time – trade Shef for a monster righty reliever, get rid of Randy and save money and get some kids, get Vasquez, get Weaver, trade Lowell for 3 young pitchers- bottom line is they have to work on the field.
          Its apparent he cannot scout pitching – ours or others – and i hope we catch a little luck with these young guys because our team is not geting younger

111. pete says:

let me first state that i have by no means given up on phil hughes – he has a good fastball and a great curveball and has shown an ability to be pretty dominant at times in his career (though obviously not this year). That said, why the hell is he still up at the major league level? Bring up rasner for chrissakes, and let hughes work pressure-free on developing his command and his slider, change, and 2 seamer. Does leaving rasner on the AAA roster really make any sense? the guy’s 28, he probably doesn’t have a whole lot more development left, and if he can put up a 4.8ish era i’d be very happy. And i would leave him there until hughes becomes truly dominant at AAA and shows that he can command all of his pitches well.

112. Charles says:

Ugh, Rogers with a quality start? damn, offense!

113. A.D. says:

At this rate Ohlendorf might be stretched out enough to be a starter

And there is no doubt that Hughes will be hell of a starter, its just not the beginning of this season (except for the Blue Jays game) but he needs some time to figure himself out and get some confidence, or at least not be bringing down the Yanks with his starts right now.

114. mike says:

Flash made a great point – why are there no restrictions on Ollie but on JJoba? Obvious on the surface, but it is something worth discussing – also, that Sheffield trade was a winner, wasn’t it?

• Charles says:

Well at least we’re seeing some benefits from the RJ trade. Ohlie and AG have been pretty decent thus far.

• Jamal G. says:

Joba Chamberlain is pitching in his second professional baseball season. Ross Ohlendorf made his professional debut in 2004.

• A.D. says:

Also there was no publicity on ohlendorf, and hes a starter whos going to reliever, there’s probably some limit or “caution” area but it doesn’t get the press

115. pete says:

im going to get crucified for saying this, but it is possible that carl pavano and kei igawa help us out a little bit this year. remember yall, its awfully tough to develop as a pitcher when you throw 3/4 innings per start

116. Rob says:

SEND HUGHES DOWN… bring D-Ras UP. That is until hughes straightens out.

117. mike says:

Wow – Halladay 4 complete games in the chilly weather – but Philly poo cant grab the ball because its too slick?

118. mike says:

Oswalt for Cano and Horne?

• Jamal G. says:

First off, Roy Oswalt has reportedly loss some of his stuff and he has 4 years and I belive $60 million remaining on that contract. You are not going to trade an above average producer at 2B with the potential for well-above average production. Robinson Cano is currently the second best offensive 2B in the Major Leagues well not currently currently anyways). Alan Horne has #1 stuff with command that people feel makes him a middle of the pack starter. Both of these guys are 25 years of age.

Roy Oswalt , secondly, has also stated he will waive his NTC to any New York team. Point blank, can’t get anymore plain and simple than that.

• mike says:

No doubt the innings have got to him, and he is a good-ole-boy who has stated he does not like the Big City, but its not that he cannot perrform in the spotlight – he just prefers the slow life. he also said this might be his last contract, but as we have seen with ALL athletes their positions sometimes change 180 degrees in a NY minute
        we need to get a starter who misses bats, and houston is not going to want to continue to pay him for slightly-above average production. However, i think as a #3 sgtarter in NY he would be more than good, and I think its worth a shot. Have Pettite chat with him as long as we will not get in trouble- small town guy as well.

Question is would Houston do it?

• BigBlueAL says:

let me tell u something. if the Yankees trade for Oswalt, they better trade all players-to-be-name later, because if they didnt trade for Santana, BUT they trade someone like CANO for Oswalt, im goin to blow my brains out!!!!!

• Mike A. says:

Go look at the numbers. Moose > Oswalt this year.

119. Jamal G. says:

Kevin Youkilis knocks in game winning RBI 1B at Fenway, BOS wins 1-0. Great pitching by Mr. Halladay and Mr. Lester, just absolutely amazing.

120. JT says:

Just want i wanted… a 2 out base hit with no one on.

121. eddyb says:

there is something suspicious on bobby seay’s hat

122. r.w.g. says:

They probably swapped Britton out for Ramirez because Detroit is in town. They are a power hitting team and Edwar’s one plus pitch is his change up. It’s a better match up to get Detroit out in some innings.

They can always just bring Britton back and they probably will when somebody else flames out.

123. Jamal G. says:

Zach McCalister was just dominate tonight, a 14-3 groundout-flyout ratio in his 8IP of 6K, 1ER ball.

124. Mike A. says:

The guy with the cowbell must die. Shit.

125. Jamal G. says:

OK, Come on Captain Derek Jeter. Give us a bright spot here other than the bullpen tonight.

126. Jamal G. says:

That my fellow Yankees fans was a look into Yanks’ bullpens of seasons past. Infuriating, mind-numbing walks. Oh how we miss those…(well, to a degree)

127. Charles says:

Argh,just one big hit away from making it interesting..sigh

128. Charles says:

Hey anyone remember if we’ve had any comeback wins this year?

129. Mike R. says:

C’mon boys! Lets get that 4 run ninth and go home!

130. BigBlueAL says:

as soon as i saw that lefty throw strike 1 to Abreu with that type of delivery, i knew we were fucked

131. BigBlueAL says:

fuckin embarassing. we quickly make it 6-4 with the tieing run at the plate, and we have Shelly Duncan and Morgan Ensberg come up back-to-back swinging at 1st pitches

• Charles says:

Yeah that was pretty pathetic for both of them. Jones didn’t have good control on the first two batters even throwing a wild pitch on Giambi’s at-bat. They could’ve worked the count but instead swung at the first pitch. We’ll get ‘em tomorrow.

132. Mike A. says:

Rob-in-son!!! Rob-in-son!!! Rob-in-son!!!

133. Mike R. says:

That sucked. Better luck tomorrow.

134. Manimal says:

I have a major concern about Ensburg. If you look at his swing, he follows through with his swing with all of his weight still back, not moving forward. He always misses homeruns.

135. BigBlueAL says:

i LOVE Cano, but seriously, WTF is goin on??? i hope he isnt one of these young players who gets his money, and starts playin like shit. maybe all the talk about Larry Bowa leaving is affecting Cano???? i dont think so cause defensively at least he isnt makin those stupid errors. anyway, did u heard Michael Kay say the 2 lowest BA’s in baseball are Cano and Tulowitski, which is my startin SS and 2B in one of my fantasy teams!!!!!

136. Charles says:

Final score was 6-4. Better defense in the earlier innings could have saved two runs. Oh well,better luck next time.

137. Mike A. says:

One of these days they’ll hang a crooked number up there. 20 runs and 28 hits or something like that, and all will be well.

138. Newman says:

For anyone still here, A-Rod officially to the DL. Great news all around

139. ray sam says:

phil hughes suck.loser send him out of here we got to trade for a pitcher as soon as possible.

140. Steve S says:

Phil Hughes has been miserable for the first month of the season but that doesnt mean he is a flop. He demonstrated last year that he can be dominant. We have to stop making excuses for him. No more about his velocity, the weather, the strikezone, the lineup, his one positive peripheral stat (hrs allowed) or stretches of two or three innings in a start where he looks good. He has been bad, he had one good start and has been awful and looked overmatched ever since. And this was the problem to start with the Santana deal, the Yankees were gambling, they bet on Hughes but they didnt bet on one month of Hughes. However, this is the risk you run. The best is long term, however, for the short term, this may be a disaster because any thought or concept that the Yankees would be better off this year with Hughes rather than Santana is insane. Again, though it doesnt mean that they arent capable of winning it all this year, i think its easy to make the statement that for this year, Santana makes this team better. All that being said, Hughes is gonna get booed and going to get ripped and its either going to define him or break him. I also have one thing, stop bringing up the salaries, the Yankees are paying out $200M in salaries, including $10M for Carl Pavano, the thought that salaries could get involved is ridiculous. If they think Hughes is going to be a better investment long term thats fine and I agree. But Santana’s salary vs. Hughes’ salary should not be a basis for this debate.

141. Bob Michaels says:

Reactivate Wilson Betamit from the DL.