Apr

Okay Jesus, this is getting ridiculous

Triple-A Scranton (16-6 beatdown of Durham) how’s 11 XBH as a team sound?
Brett Gardner: 3 for 4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 1 BB – he’s slugging .833 … no joke
Justin Christian: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 4 RBI, 1 BB – 10 RBI in 9 games
Juan Miranda: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 HBP
Shelley: 3 for 5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB – 4 doubles, 3 homers and 21 total bases in 3 games since being sent down
Jason Lane: 1 for 5, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Cody Ransom: 3 for 6, 3 R, 1 2B
Nick Green: 4 for 6, 4 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI – Nick Green, Nick frickin’ Green is 9 for his last 17 with 2 doubles, 2 homers and 5 RBI
Chris Stewart: 4 for 6, 2 R, 2 2B, 2 RBI
Jeff Marquez: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 E (throwing), 11-2 GB/FB – sinker’s workin’
Scott Patterson: 0.2 IP, zeroes, 0-2 GB/FB
Ben Kozlowski Heath Phillips: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K – the “he’s going to be used as a lefty specialist only” plan went out the window two weeks into the season
Scott Strickland: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1-3 GB/FB

Double-A Trenton (4-0 win over Harrisburg)
Reegie Corona & Colin Curtis: both 0 for 3, 1 BB – Curtis K’ed twice
Austin Jackson: 3 for 4, 2 SB
Jose Tabata: 1 for 4, 2 K
Chris Malec: 3 for 4, 2 R, 2 2B – 3 of his five hits on the year have gone for extra bases
Marcos Vechionacci: 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 2 K
Kevin Russo: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI – first game of the season after finding out he doesn’t have cancer
Jason Jones: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 11-6 GB/FB – off to a hot start after a solid season last year for Trenton
Mike Gardner: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 4-0 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (10-0 loss to Sarasota)
Damon Sublett, Edwar Gonzalez & Kevin Smith: all 1 for – Sublett walked once & K’ed twice … Edwar threw runners out at second & third from LF … Smith K’ed once
Kyle Anson: 3 for 3, 2 2B, 1 BB – picked a runner off first with a snap-throw … 5 for his last 7 with 3 doubles
rest of lineup: combined 2 for 20, 1 BB, 6 K – Tim Battle (who else) K’ed thrice … Mitch Hilligoss & Seth Fortenberry each K’ed once … Josue Calzado walked once, K’ed twice & committed a fielding error … Luis Nunez ripped two singles, stole a base & committed a throwing error
Ivan Nova: 5 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 6-2 GB/FB
JB Cox: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 2-1 GB/FB – glad to have him back
Sean Henn: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Wilkins Arias: 1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Jon Hovis: 1 IP, zeroes, 3 K – I bet if you stuck him in the big league bullpen right now, he’d figure out a way to get hitters out, he’s that kind of pitcher

Low-A Charleston (4-3 win over Rome in 11 innings, walk-off style)
Abe Almonte & Justin Snyder: combined 0 for 9 – Almonte walked & K’ed twice
Bradley Suttle: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
Jesus Montero: 1 for 5, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 2 PB – walk-off double
Brandon Laird: 3 for 4, 2 R – is there such a thing as quietly hitting .350? on this team there is
David Williams: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI
Austin Romine: 3 for 4, 1 RBI – started at DH
Zach McAllister: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 13-2 GB/FB – 12-2 K/BB ratio & 22-3 GB/FB ratio so far this year … keep an eye on Z-Mac, he’s primed for a breakout year (like I predicted)
Jason Stephens: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
Chase Vacek: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Jamal G. says:

Any details on the Ivan Nova line. Got to love the Ks but how many of those hits were XBH?

Love to see Austin Jackson put up that line and if I am not mistaken, doesn’t Jose Tabata have a little hitting streak going?

• Mike A. says:

Yep, Tabata’s got a little 6-gamer going. Nova gave up one double, the rest were all singles. I’m not a big Nova fan, but there’s certainly talent and upside there.

• Jamal G. says:

Is it because of his lack of control as a 21 year old? Or is it the rawness that has got you down so much? I’ve read he has shown flashes of three plus pitches with the curve and change to go along with the heater. Although inconsistent, at such a young age and in High A why are you down on him?

2. Manimal says:

Gardner a HR shy of a cycle, Shelly owning mediocre pitching

3. Count Zero says:

Totally unsupportable, non-fact-based, off-the-cuff comment here…small sample, etc., but…

I get the feeling that every young player in the Yankees’ farm system sees what happened with Joba and IPK last season, has heard Cash’s speech on the organization’s new focus, and thinks Girardi is more likely to give someone a shot than JT ever was…thus, some kids out there are thinking to themselves: “I can be in NY before the end of this season.”

Am I alone in that thought? Some of these kids just seem to be tearing it up like nobody’s business. I mean, Gardner’s what – 1.333 OPS? – in 30 PAs is downright silly. That kid really wants to be in the show, doesn’t he? :-)

4. Matt says:

I totally agree with Count Zero. I am pretty sure that Shelley Duncan would have put up better number so far than Giambi’s pathetic .080 batting average!!! There is a lot of talent that has a chance of seeing some time this year.

5. dan says:

I’m getting the feeling that Marquez is gonna disappoint this year. I don’t think his low k-rate can make it through AAA, let alone the major leagues.

6. YES says:

I’m not that high on Marquez. I guess because he’s a sinker ball pitcher. His sinker-ball isn’t even close to Wang’s. If the right trade comes along, he’s trade bait I believe.
    Horne is the guy I’m really interested in. He has a chance to be up here later this year.

7. The Scout says:

Is Jason Jones the next Steven White or what?

8. Brad says:

I was at the Scranton/Durham game. It was the first time I’ve seen Brett Gardner in person, and his speed blew me away. I mean, I knew he was fast, but man. His leadoff triple could’ve been an inside the park home run.

Rafael Chaves gave my son a ball (one of the balls Marquez used to warm up), so that was cool, too. A lot of people in Yankee gear (though I was the only one wearing a SWB Yanks jersey and one of the very few wearing SWB gear), and, weirdly, a lot of people wearing Red Sox stuff. I hope they have good struts on that bandwagon.

9. Steve says:

If Montero keeps this up, I can’t see him not getting a call up to high A Tampa by mid season. Cervelli is still ahead of him on the depth charts, but thats because of his defensive skills. Montero has a .959 OPS in the early going. Maybe they’ll even let him travel with the big league club when the minor league season ends as well. He looks like he’s going to move quickly, he’s hit so far at every level.

He is turning into an absolute beast, and he’s still only 18. That’s just sick.

• Manimal says:

I agree but no where above High A Tampa since he is only 18. Let him develop his way up with age and he will DEFINATELY be ready when Posada is done.

10. Tripp says:

Montero is 18 and still needs work as a catcher first. His hitting will always be superb…let him mash and work on defense in a low key atmousphere.

11. Joe says:

Montero need to move up to get playing time. He’s not going to catch all that much sharing time with Austin Romine

12. joba says:

jesus montero is a monster

13. joba says:

montero should be molinas back up and posada play first base

• dan says:

I hope you’re not serious. At this point, Montero would be eaten alive by AAA pitching… we don’t need him facing Josh Beckett

14. [...] BB – 10 for his last 24 with 4 walks and only 3 K Jose Tabata: 0 for 5 – snaps a 6 game hit streak (way to jinx it Jamal) Colin Curtis: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB Chris Malec: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 CS, 1 E (missed catch) [...]