May

Game 30: Treading water

A win tonight brings the Yanks back to the .500 mark they’ve been hovering around all season. Sadly, that’s a good thing at this point. Given the craptastic offense and the shakiness of the non-Wang rotation, the Yanks should be thankful that they’re not in a position similar to last year.

Big game for IPK. Another stinker could mean…geeze, I can hardly bring myself to say it…Kei Igawa. To me, it’s going to be about throwing some freakin’ strikes. If Kennedy gets hit hard, well, that’s going to happen to a rookie against a lineup like the Tigers. But if he’s missing the plate and racking up the pitch count, I think that’s far worse. Of course, getting belted will run up the pitch count, too.

Shelley’s hitting cleanup tonight against Nate Robertson. I dig the move. In fact, with the way the offense is going, I’d be finding any way possible to get Shelley into the lineup. He can’t be worse than what we’re trotting out there (::cough:: Giambi).

The lineup:

1. Johnny Damon, LF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Bobby Abreu, RF
4. Shelley Duncan, 1B
5. Hideki Matsui, DH
6. Melky Cabrera, CF
7. Morgan Ensbgerg, 3B
8. Robinson Cano, 2B
9. Chad Moeller, C

And on the mound, number thirty-one, Ian Patrick Kennedy

Categories : Game Threads

1. Jamal G. says:

LHP or not I think Hideki Matsui should be hitting 4th. This issue might come into play later in the game when Detroit’s “bullpen” is in use. But who cares, just one slot anyways.

So Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada, Phil Hughes and a pretty dominant Brian Bruney all on the DL yet we are just 3.0 games out of 1st place in the AL East and we are below .500 at Yankee Stadium. I don’t know about you guys but I feel pretty damn good about the record and the team all things considered.

2. Ben K. says:

I love seeing Shelley Duncan hitting clean up. It’s like Spring Training.

• Count Zero says:

Heh! That’s a lineup change I’m definitely in favor of trying.

Shel-ley Dun-can clap clap clap clap clap

3. Jamal G. says:

Did Al Leiter just say IPK walked 8 of the last 9 LH he faced coming into tonight’s start? God Damn.

4. Jamal G. says:

Torn tendon in left quad forces Colorado Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki to miss 3+ months. God Damn dude.

5. Manimal says:

If Michael Kay says that someone tied the major league record for most put outs in an inning one more time im turning off my tv and going to gameday. Samething with raindays and David cone’s perfect game.

• Jamal G. says:

Lmao, that is really tiring, dunno which is worse, that or the “girl with the curls” analogy . Ugh.

• avi404 says:

or the martini-glass analogy when Giambi faces the shift defence. And then drawing it out on screen. Ugggh!

may be RAB should have a things-we-love-about-Kay section.

• zzzz says:

i was just about to say that. seriously, its not funny anymore. it was cute the first time, now its just annoying.

• Mike A. says:

You know what the most screwed up part is? I’m sure once upon a time a pitcher struck out the first two batters of the inning, but the catcher dropped the third strike on the third batter, and just tagged the runner for the final out. Three strikeouts = 3 putouts for the catcher, plus another for tagging the runner, so the catcher ends up with 4 putouts in the inning.

So unless that situation never happened, Kay is wrong. I think…

6. Manimal says:

Kennedy looks 10x relaxed, or is it just me? Moeller is just putting his glove down the middle, IPK is beating them with the speed of his pitches.

7. Manimal says:

repeat of the first inning with the exception of shelley smashing the ball into the bleachers… of the new yankee stadium.

8. Jamal G. says:

Type-A Free Agent here we come!

9. Mike A. says:

That … was big.

10. Mike A. says:

Nothing like seeing a guy making $400k a year run over your guy with a $150M contract.

• nmc says:

Haha Cabrera does so much damage to his team with his defense. To think, he was the ARod replacement plan.

• Jamal G. says:

I think that was the fans’ dream. No way Brian Cashman was going to dole out the price in prospects and dollars for only a bat, no matter how productive said bat may be.

11. nmc says:

Also, I’m thinking that you have to re-sign Abreu after this season is over.

• Jamal G. says:

Not for more than two years and there is NO CHANCE IN HELL that Bobby Abreu, let alone his agent, would agree to that. I’m thinking he’s looking for 4 years at $14-$16M but might cop to 3 years. That was proposed at the nyyfans.com forums and I agree with that theory.

12. Bruno says:

Millwood & Teagarden for IPK, Tabata, Marquez, Cervelli?

• Jamal G. says:

I wouldn’t, I understand the fans may be clamoring for a productive veteran starter after the injuries and sub .500 start but there is no need. If we weren’t going to deal Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and two other prospects for Johan Santana, why would we deal a good portion of that same package for Kevin Millwood?

• Bruno says:

Weren’t getting Johan w/out Phil. Plus, we would’ve been giving up our 23y/o starting CF, not getting back a grade-A Catching prospect.

• Jamal G. says:

True, and I am a big proponent of stockpiling as many prospects as possible and a big opponent of not acquiring a prospect based on what you already have. However I have to believe the value of Teagarden is diminished somewhat with Austin Romine and Jesus Montero doing their thing in Low-A Charleston.

Kevin Millwod is a good pitcher yes, but I don’t think he is anywhere worth the value of controlled years and potential talent and value of IPK, Jose Tabata and Jeff Marquez.

• Jamal G. says:

However, you substitute Teagarden with Elvis Andrus and I might look a bit harder on that deal.

• mustang says:

Good point.

• Mike A. says:

If Texas eats most of the Millwood money (say 80%), I think I’d do it, begrudgingly.

• Jamal G. says:

I believe it was MLBTR who noted that Texas is probably going to try and “buy” prospects by trading either Kevin Millwood or Vicente Padilla along with money.

13. Mike A. says:

“I’ve seen you eat up here in the booth Michael, how many Reggie bars did you have that day?”

John Flaherty is my new favorite announcer.

14. Jamal G. says:

“Caramel, chocolate and peanuts, everything that’s good in life…” LoL, Michael Kay may be a condescending, arrogant douche but he has his funny moments.

15. mustang says:

Those Reggie bars tasted like shit. LOL

16. Jamal G. says:

Oh shit, the way it’s lined up, Mike Mussina is going to face off against “King” Felix Hernandez on Saturday. Seattle’s offense should be one that Moose can control.

17. mustang says:

Damn.. i thought the kid had something going…Johnny

18. Manimal says:

Ok I need some serious opinions guys.

Doesnt Shelley look like the guy from 300! The hunchback traitor guy. I’ve been meaning to make this picture forever, and I finally did it.

Tell me what you think.

BTW, yes I know how to use photoshop. yes it took me 30 seconds. yes I could have done a better job.

19. pete c. says:

Abreu’s putting in for full time DH.

20. mustang says:

WoW…. this is starting to hurt now

21. RichYF says:

Could Bobby Abreu be any worse in RF?

I mean, seriously…how many teams have a worse RFer than he is? I’d rather have a pitchback out there than this guy right now.

22. Mike A. says:

What’s worse: IPK’s fear of the strike zone with men on, or Bobby’s fear of the wall?

23. Link says:

good grief…if we had outfielders that could catch that inning goes a lot different

• Jamal G. says:

If Johnny Damon had of played that fly ball safe Santiago would have been at 1B and the DP would have been in order causing IPK to try and pitch to a DP. Not saying he would have gotten one but he would have changed his selection to try and get one.

24. pete c. says:

Funny Mike.

25. Jamal G. says:

Hey, I defy anyone to expect a rookie pitcher to beat that Detroit 3-4-5 more often than not.

26. pete c. says:

Yeah not all of that was IPK.

27. Bruno says:

I REALLY hope A-Jax is in RF next year, with Capt’n Jete in LF and AG at SS.

28. Jamal G. says:

Bobby Abreu is not a bad RF, he is just scared of the wall for a reason that we just don’t know. Could be natural fear or it could be caused by something that happened to him as a player, just don’t know.

29. mustang says:

Can I make a suggestion every time the kids pitch and people compare them to Johan in anyway they get bombed?
    Can we try not to?
    LOL

30. Mike A. says:

Here we go again. After a good first inning, the offense goes in hibernation. Erg.

31. Jamal G. says:

Well Michael Kay you douche, Jason Giambi was in the lineup for the most part when the Yankees were a AAAA team in the beginning of the season. He missed all that time due to injury when they got their shit together.

32. Link says:

i know he got hit but IPK’s body language is much better tonight if anyone else has noticed.

• Jamal G. says:

I see it too, good sign. He is having a good start, not his fault he has to go up against a healthy Gary Sheffield, Magglio Ordonez and Miguel Cabrera in succession. Any pitcher would be hard pressed to navigate through those guys cleanly with RISP. Great hitting beat good pitching there, all it is.

33. RichYF says:

Who is Kennedy reminding me of?

Pitches great for 5 out of 6 innings but has one “bad inning” where he gives up 3-5.

34. Jamal G. says:

I know Johnathan Sanchez seems to be figuring it out this year but I’d rather have Hit-deki for I don’t think Sanchez will be this effective over the course of the season.

35. Jamal G. says:

Kevin Long should stuff a fist full of mofongo down Robinson Cano’s throat the next time he swings at the first pitch, he may be my favorite Yankee but he’s pissing me off with that first pitch BS.

36. Manimal says:

Kennedy is pitching fine. I blame damon/abreux2

37. Pete says:

Great pitch on 3-2. But why does it have to go 3-2 *every* time?

38. Pete says:

Ugh, the middle of this lineup is absolutely salivating to get to Kennedy…

39. Jamal G. says:

3-4-5 of Detroit ran up that pinch count and touched him up in that 3rd inning, can’t ssay it was overall a bad/good start. I liked the aggressiveness but he just didn’t trust his stuff when it came to the heavy hitters and it cost him.

Some above average play out of Johnny Damon and Bobby Abreu in the OF could have turns things to the better.

40. Bruno says:

So when does JOBA start getting stretched out by going multiple innings?

41. mustang says:

There booing again poor kid.
    This going to be a long season.

42. Mike A. says:

I’m happy, I just managed to trade for Tim Lincecum in fantasy.

• Number 27 says:

who’d you trade for him?

• Mike A. says:

Weeks-Markakis-Randy Wolf for Lincecum-Ellsbury-Keppinger. I have enough depth to deal off Markakis and Weeks was riding my bench (I have Brandon Phillips at 2B), plus I needed someone to fill in at 3B while A-Rod is out. As a bonus, I can slide Keppinger over to SS to replace the corpse of Khalil Greene once A-Rod’s back.

• Jamal G. says:

I like it, if your depth in the OF really is adequate this is a damn good deal.

• Mike A. says:

Once the deal is official (the start of the next fantasy week, ie Monday), I’ll have Adam Dunn, Jeremy Hermida, Carlos Quentin, Nick Swisher and Ellsbury as available OFers.

• Jamal G. says:

I think I just drooled over my laptop. I am a BIG Jeremy Hermida fan. Carlos Quentin is already paying off nicely for you as well.

• Mike A. says:

I actually just grabbed Quentin off the FA pool. Jeff Clement is going to pick up C eligibility soon, so I was able to cut Kurt Klutch Suzuki loose.

43. Jamal G. says:

Samuel Dalembert has the worst haircut you will ever see in your life. Check it out, he’s the Center for the Philadelphia 76ers (#1, on TNT now).

44. Jamal G. says:

Only at Yankee Stadium does a player get booed for tying his shoelaces.

45. Mike A. says:

Nice job cleaning up Shelley.

46. Jamal G. says:

I swear, by the looks of it the Yankees are getting a bit tired of Duncan’s celebratory hits. Watch on his birthday, they’re going to body slam that SOB.

47. Jamal G. says:

Why does Michale Kay use Derek Jeter’s birthday as a barometer for how old people are EVERY year? God Damn Michael, new material, please.

48. Jamal G. says:

SS range up the middle is such a sight for sore eyes.

49. Mike A. says:

Am I the only one that laughed hysterically after seeing that father totally whiff on the high five with son after the kid got the foul ball behind the Yanks’ dugout? Too funny.

50. Mike A. says:

Okay, might be time to break out the tarp out. It’s coming down pretty good now.

51. Steve S says:

Did anyone see the write up on Tabata by Keith Law, that doesnt sound good at all. But the Montero stuff was nice. Has anyone heard anything about what they plan to do with Tabata?

• Bruno says:

Hopefully use him and AAA pitching? to acquire a catching prospect and MLB pitching?

• Yankee1010 says:

I don’t think you can trade him now. It would be the ultimate selling low moment. They need to give him some more time to get over the hamate surgery and his immaturity.

• Bruno says:

MLB starter and a C for Tabata and Marquez? I’ll take that.

• Steve S says:

I think Brian Cashman would take it, but what do you mean by MLB starter? The reality is no one has enough pitching. I fear the Yankees may start looking at Freddie Garcia.

• Yankee1010 says:

Yeah, you would take it, but would other teams go for it? They aren’t going to buy into Tabata now when he’s not hitting and being immature.

And MLB starter is kind of broad.

52. Bruno says:

Robertson’s face bounce was HYSTERICAL!

53. Mike A. says:

C’mon Bobby, make up for sissying out against the wall earlier.

54. Link says:

well there is a microcosm of why we’re 14-15 and not 19-10 or so….

55. Mike A. says:

Boy, Girardi sure loves him some Albaladejo.

56. Link says:

now Albaladejo being pushed into his 3rd inning of work rather than bring in Britton.

57. Link says:

and here we go.

58. Jamal G. says:

God Damn Miguel Cabrera, should of signed with us.

• Newman says:

Signed with us? When would that have been? He was traded

• Jamal G. says:

He was an International Free Agent in Venezuela in 2000 (I think that was the year). The Florida Marlins, Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves (I believe) along with us were involved in the bidding. The Marlins were basically like family to this due so he signed with them despite better offers from us and other squads. I also believe the Mets were involved.

• Mike A. says:

He signed with Florida way back in the day even thought the Yanks offered more cash.

59. Ivan says:

Yankees don’t look good at all right now.

60. keith says:

WHY IS HE STILL IN THERE!?!@?!@?!@ ASDJSDFLSDFKERJK234kl234123123

61. Link says:

is there any team in the league that has a bullpen with 2 greater weight differences at the same height than we do with the Britton/Ramirez ‘mondo/flaco’ connection? Both 6’3 Britton listed at 270, Edwar 165 lol….

62. Relaunch says:

Kennedy blows. He has put his team in the hole in every game except 1. The IPK abbreviation is even more dumb.

63. Jamal G. says:

Brittongate is starting to piss me the fuck off.

64. Link says:

so Girardi is basically like f it apparently…

65. Mike A. says:

Ladies and gents, we have a Chris Britton signing.

66. Yankee1010 says:

Woodward and Bernstein can’t be too far away …

67. Mike A. says:

Heh, Chris Britton looks like someone they just pulled out of the bleachers and gave a uniform.

68. Ivan says:

Well things that could went wrong has gone wrong so far. Most likey will be 14-16 after being swept by the Tigers(I still think the Yanks are better than the Tigers if both teams are at full strength so I take this possible sweep with a grain of salt)

but right now, the yanks are struggling on both sides on the ball and injuries have killed them.

I will say this, if this team can get healthy, and if Ian and Hughes make that key adjustment, then I feel by the second half hopefully, this team can take off.

Right now, this team is off right now.

69. Jamal G. says:

Jose Tabata made his comeback today, 0-4, 1K.

70. Ivan says:

Mark Melancon pitch three innings tonight, and just gave up a hit and struckout 3. Boy after a couple rough stretches, he has really starting to pitch well. Hopefully, Melancon, can reach at absolute full strength, and help this team

71. Link says:

he looks awkward as hell out there even when he makes the play.

72. Jamal G. says:

Chris Britton’s line: 1.2IP, zeros, 1BB, 23 pitches.

73. Link says:

I’d like to stuff a baseball card down Michael Kay’s throat…

74. Jamal G. says:

There we go Robbie, come on Yankees, let’s get something going.

75. BigBlueAL says:

this is becoming an annoying habit, everytime i get home from umpiring, the Yanks r losing!! at least the past 3 days…..

76. Mike A. says:

Look at that Joe, Chris Britton is an effective reliever. Amazing what you learn when he actually gets in a game, no?

77. BigBlueAL says:

btw, check this out. my game tonight was with 13/14 yo division, so not exactly great baseball. bottom of the last inning, tied game. runner on 1st steals second, ball gets by the SS and 2b, then rolled RIGHT THROUGH the legs of the CF, runner scores, game over. gotta love the youngsters.

78. Mike R. says:

Chris Britton did not allow a hit in 2.2 IP!! Tell him what he’s won Don!!!

An all expense paud trip to Scranton, PA! Home of The Office. :(

79. Mike A. says:

Thaaaaaaaa Yankees lose … again.

80. RustyJohn says:

Bravo, C. Britton….the lone bright spot of the game. The only explanation I have for his lack of playing time is one day B. Cashman came home and saw Britton’s pale hairy, sweaty ass in between Mrs. Cashman’s thighs.

81. ray sam says:

get rid of jeter abreu damon matsui bring in some yougblood these guys are overpaid and overrated jeter is no leader make posada capt when he comes back