May

Game 40: Hunting for .500. Again.

If it seems like we’re writing about the Yanks’ quest for .500 every other day, that’s because we are. The Yanks — 5-5 over their last 10 — have been hovering around the .500 mark since the start of May, and they’re at again, hunting for a win to bring them to 20-20. It seems like one should be forthcoming, but you know the old saying about counting chickens before they hatch.

For the Yankees, their ace takes the mound. Chien-Ming Wang is 6-1 this year with a 3.12 ERA. He has struck out 36 in 52 IP and opponents are hitting just .233 off Wang. Last time around in the Bronx against Tampa, Wang threw six scoreless innings, giving up just four hits en route to win.

The Rays counter with Edwin Jackson. The righty, once a highly touted prospect, has shown signs of putting it all together this year. He’s only 2-3 but with a 4.03 ERA. Opponents are hitting just .241 off of Jackson, but he’s walked 20 in 42.1 innings. Last time around against the Yanks in Tampa, he lasted just five innings, giving up five earned runs on four hits and four walks. I’d take that again.

Damon DH
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Matsui LF
Giambi 1B
Cabrera CF
Cano 2B
Gonzalez 3B
Molina C

Wang P

Game Notes: Melky Cabrera is 3 for his last 19 and is hitting just .205/.244/.359 in May…Robinson Cano has hit in seven straight games. He is 9 for 25 during that span and has seen his average climb by .040…Mark Melancon has been promoted to AA, J.B. Cox is now in Scranton and Alan Horne is nearing a return. Chad Jennings has the news and a mea culpa of sorts.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Link says:

It would be so nice if everyone would be hot or at least reasonably productive at the same time. Cano and Giambi seem to be finally putiing it together now Cabrera and a few others are cooling off…

2. Mark B says:

It would be nice if everyone would be hot….at the same time. 142-20 would be nice as well….let’s be a bit more realistic, Link!

• Link says:

I am being realistic it is possible for everyone to hit at the same time that’s how teams go on 6 and 8 or 10 game win streaks…you need offense to have some period of consistant performance to overcome a subpar start that you will have from time to time from your starter…

3. Link says:

do the Rays not have a local broadcast? lol…I get the YES broadcast even though Yanks or on the road, not that I’m complaining especially since Kay is on vacation thank God….

4. huuz says:

check out mlb.com

“After dropping three games to the Twins, the Sox turn to reigning AL Cy Young winner Josh Beckett.”

idiots.

5. Jamal G. says:

What a great play by the Desperate Husband, wow.

6. marc says:

wow mlb.coms main page has a picture of beckett and the caption is “reigning AL Cy Young Award Winner” … hmmph… i thought it was CC… not in the eyes of mlb i guess

7. Ben K. says:

Dioner Navarro is starting to bug me.

8. Link says:

The thread is live tonight! lol…Navarro..ugh..I wish all ex-Yankees would suck when they play us…makes me feel better….

9. Link says:

Is it just me or does Iwamura look like the guy from The Transporter with the bad hair?

10. Ben K. says:

I guess Cy Jackson is pitching tonight.

11. Jamal G. says:

The “reigning AL Cy Young” just gave up a three-run shot to Luke Scott, BAL leads 5-3 in the Bot of the 3rd.

12. Yankee1010 says:

This place is more dead than Molina’s legs.

• Yankee1010 says:

Of course, I write that and all of a sudden my computer decides that now it’s actually going to show the posts from the last hour.

13. Yankee1010 says:

Watching the production that the Yanks have gotten from 3B and C with A-Rod and Posada out, you have to admire the sheer idiocy of a guy like Steve Lombardi who says, “they’re .500 with him and .500 without him – what’s the difference?”

14. cjc says:

they are basically unwatchable now this team is so boring

15. A.D. says:

Yanks offense needs to wake up

16. Nefarious jackson says:

who the fuck is Steve Lombardi anyway?

17. A.D. says:

Looks like Cano doesn’t need Bowa to field well after all

18. Jamal G. says:

Looks like vintage Cy Wang tonight, in five innings he has struck out just two with an 11-2 groundout-flyout ratio.

19. Mike A. says:

It’s time to call-up Montero. This team needs someone not afraid to make hard contact.

• Jake says:

I know you’re kidding, but it would at least be interesting (if disastrous), which is more than this team can offer right now.

20. Nefarious jackson says:

literally who is he? his name keeps getting brought up & I never heard of the guy other than being brought up as someone who hates cashman

21. A.D. says:

So anyone think Cox, Melancon & Robertson moving up the ladder is signaling Joba to the rotation by the break this year?

• A.D. says:

After all any debate with the value of Joba in the pen vs rotation gets thrown out if they arent getting leads to the 8th

• Mike A. says:

I don’t think the moves are related at all. I think it’s just a matter of Cash putting his team in a position to have the best combination of players possible. It just so happens that that mix involves Joba in the rotation and Cox/Melancon in the pen.

22. A.D. says:

Wow Hinske what an idiot, who hands an XBH to a team not hitting

23. Jamal G. says:

How’s that for boring, most exciting play in baseball other than the inside-the-parker.

24. Charles says:

Eww. That’s just sucks Bobby.

25. A.D. says:

Absolutly pathetic, handed a triple and can’t get it in

26. Yankee1010 says:

This team is allergic to situational hitting. Let’s just hope nobody runs away with it before A-Rod and Posada get back. I know the team looks horrible, but they looked even worse last year. It’s not like anyone’s running away with it this year.

27. Ivan says:

Hey I gotta be fair that was more good pitching by jackson. He really exucute his pitches well.

• Yankee1010 says:

Abreu also looks completely lost tonight.

• Charles says:

Yes,credit I think should also be given to Jackson. We’re wasting yet another quality start from Wang.

• Yankee1010 says:

Yes, Jackson handled the situation pretty well, but Abreu might as well not even bring a bat to the plate tonight. Or if he’s going to bring it to the plate, keep it on his shoulder. His hacks look like those or Rudy Stein.

28. Charles says:

man on 3rd and one out and we can’t even get the runner home?that’s just pointless..

29. cjc says:

when abreau has bad numbers against a pither he jut looks beaten before he even gets in the box

• Yankee1010 says:

Yeppers. He takes that weak hack that I’m sure everyone is sick of seeing. It’s kind of like him approching a wall.

30. Ivan says:

But hey the Rays have won 10 straight games at home.

• Jamal G. says:

That’s all I’m saying. We’ve run into two talented power pitchers who are on their game in Matt Garza and Edwin Jackson, let’s not place everything on the Yankees here. They looked good in Detroit but good pitching is good pitching, it’ll kick your ass no matter who is penciled in 1-9.

• Yankee1010 says:

I agree to some degree, but it can’t be denied that the Yanks look like they’re hitting the snooze button these past few days.

• Jamal G. says:

I see what you mean but I never liked that characterization because I’ve always thought how is a team is supposed to look lively when they are being beat by good pitching.

• Ben K. says:

How many mediocre pitchers have the Yanks turned into “good” pitchers this year though? It’s getting a bit ridiculous.

• Charles says:

Right, Garza and Jackson aren’t even Tampa’s best pitchers. It scares me to think how the Yanks would perform in the next two games against “better” pitchers in Shields and Kazmir.

• Yankee1010 says:

I agree that good pitchers can shut down good hitters, but it’s not like Cy Young and Walter Johnson were the starters the last 2 nights. Granted, Garza and Jackson have potential. But as of now, the Yanks have yet to score a single run against them. And they’ve had chances tonight.

31. Jamal G. says:

Damn, when the Big G gets hot he just hits everything on a rope.

32. Jamal G. says:

I am still a big opponent of the Lastings Milledge for Ryan Church and Bran Schneider deal but damn Church is raking right now. After a HR, 2B and 3 RBIs tonight he has 8 HRs and 29 RBIs for the season.

Still a dumb deal IMO.

33. pete says:

first off – jackson is pitching great, give some credit. But jesus christ! runner on 3rd no out HAS TO SCORE. Unless 2 guys miss 3 straight bunt attempts and the next guy gets out, there is no reason for him not to score. I thought girardi would be more prone to bunting than torre but apparently not. I understand that it’s “not that easy,” but these are major league athletes, and bunting is something you can truly practice. Safety squeeze is just about the most underused play in baseball in my opinion.

34. A.D. says:

Why is Shelly PH? he hasn’t hit anything this season, and you’re bringing in him cold for AG who’s been solid at the plate?

35. Jamal G. says:

97 MPH Fastball on the outside black, I defy anyone to get good wood on that, if any.

36. Jamal G. says:

JB Cox is making his Triple-A debut tonight.

37. Yankee1010 says:

Yay, Yankee offense.

38. claybeez says:

OK. Who’s this guy and what has he done with Molina’s body double?

39. Ben K. says:

That was one of Joba’s worst innings in the Bigs.

40. Jamal G. says:

HIT-DEKI!!!!!!!

41. nmc says:

MATSUII!I!I!I!I!I!!!!1 11one

42. Jamal G. says:

Damn, if only Alberto Gonzalez had not of started tonight. Goof job Big G.

43. Jamal G. says:

John Gibbons did lit last night, using BJ Ryan in a tied game on the road in the 9th inning. Why is that startegy so taboo in baseball? I’m a Kyle Farnsworth fan but I just feel the risk outweighs the reward by saving your closer in a late game, tied on the road.

44. Casper says:

There is an usher in the stands behind the plate ringing a bell. He’s like 80 years old. Welcome to Tampa.

• Ben K. says:

And he drives home with his turn signal on the whole way too.

• Casper says:

What’s the deal with the bells? If I remember correctly, they ring cow-bells at Sacramento Kings games because Sacramento is in cow-country. Is there a thriving cattle industry in Tampa? I’d freak out if I had to listen to that all season.

• A.D. says:

It’s annoying just hearing it on TV. People have made a big deal about the Joba fist pump, how about the annoying TB bells

45. Brad says:

Why oh why oh why is Kyle Farnsworth in a tie game situation. I know he’s improved, but this is close to the highest leverage situation possible in a baseball game. USE RIVERA!

46. Jamal G. says:

It’s funny how you almost never hear a peep out of the NY media who called BS when Joe Girardi and Dave Eiland said they can get something more out of KyleFarnsworth than in previous seasons. When he struggled to start this season they were all smirking and taking little cheap shots, but now where are they when it’s time to give credit?

• A.D. says:

True, gotta give Farns credit, he’s pitching well means the yankees can either trade him, or he’ll def keep his B free agent status

47. Yankee1010 says:

My name is Jose Molina. I hit weak balls to infielders and run backwards to first base.

48. Jamal G. says:

You see, Joe Girardi learns from his mistakes. You put in Rivera here, good call. I am a bit surprised he did not let Joba go two.

• Count Zero says:

Amen. At least I can take solace in the fact that he wasn’t afraid to use Mo in a tie game. I just hope he keeps doing it in future games regardless of the outcome of this one…

• Ben K. says:

I’m more than a bit surprised. They must stretch out Joba a bit. It’s a waste of that resource, and it will stunt his development.

49. Charles says:

Enter Sandman!

50. Jamal G. says:

Red Sox fall 5-4 to BAL, drop their fourth in five games.

51. Yankee1010 says:

Mo getting squeezed. Nice to see for the future Hall of Famer.

52. A.D. says:

Whelan & Cox both threw scoreless outings

53. BigBlueAL says:

i know this is a bit late to post about, but i saw someone on ESPNews talkin about this today. he said instead of Goose talkin about Joba fist-pumping, he should be wandering why Joba doesnt pitch 2 to 3 innings at a time. if he is gonna be a starter soon, it is a decent way of extending him.

Cashman always cites Johan and Billingsly as examples of their plan for Joba, but both of those guys were used as long/middle men who pitched multiple innings at a time. i thought it was a good point to think about, and tonight was another example of this non-usage.

BTW, this offense is bordering on pathetic/embarrassing status.

54. Yankee1010 says:

Thanks, Blue.

55. pete says:

fuck you giambi

56. Ivan says:

Yo I was watching baseball Tonight and they were talking about celebration and when does it crosses the line. They were showing players celebrating and I saw Soriano and I was like wow. Did you guys saw how Soriano celebrated? That was cleary bad. He carries the bat and does back jogging. It was OD.

57. A.D. says:

Molina is worthless in tonights game

58. pete says:

and you molina

59. Yankee1010 says:

Did I miss the F’in TPS report that said Gomes turned into Rickey F’in Henderson?

60. Jamal G. says:

Fuck Jose Molina, you have to make that throw.

61. Ivan says:

O well nobody’s perfect. Even though the game winning hit was bitch ass hit that just found a hole.

62. Casper says:

Before “Shout” came on… Did anyone else think they heard the beginning of “New York, New York?”

63. Newman says:

Jamal, go ahead and spin this positive – 2 runs in 20 innings. Great all around job by the Yankee bats…I’m sure everyone will be in attendance when Matt Garza, Edwin Jackson, and JP Howell are inducted into the Hall.

64. Ivan says:

Hey calm down people. The Rays are one of the hottest teams in baseball and are going against a short handed and cold team in concern with the Yanks. I am not saying they are suppose to win but this is there best chance to beat the yanks this time of the year.

See me in July or August and I garantee you this is not gonna happen trust me.

65. A.D. says:

Poor play offensively by the Yankes so far this series, facing good pitching or not

66. BigBlueAL says:

this is the most fucking pathetic Yankees team ive seen since the early 90′s. but hey, they r doing better than they were at the same time last season, so apparently everything is good. of course, by the time Arod comes back next week, they will probably be 21-29, so hey the great plan that worked last season is gonna happen again this season!!!!

i know thats what everyone will say, so go ahead and hold on to that point. difference was the Yankees were actually very unlucky to be 21-29 last season, where as this season, we actually deserve to be under .500 (run differential). but hey, Girardi will bring a different energy and attention to detail than Torre did, so the same bad start as last season wasnt gonna happen again.

BTW, yes im FRUSTRATED as hell and being a bit sarcastic, but we r staring a 4-game sweep at the freakin 1st place Rays right in the face, and that im sorry is pathetic no matter how u spin it. hopefully ARod does return next week as our schedule gets ALOT easier over the next couple of weeks and they start making a run, but in the meantime, this week is shaping out to be a disaster.

67. Jake says:

This team right now is so pathetic. I’ve never seen a Yankee team have no heart at all. Abreau is irritating me beyond belief. Can get Jeter in, he pulls the ball as he has been doing a ton get’s in a run and with Matsui’s HR that wins the game. Of course he doesn’t.

Anyone else think that Girardi doesn’t know how to manage? I wanted him over everyone else because I thought he would bring a more aggressive baseball and it seems that isn’t the case at all. Damon does try to steal in the first inning. Why isn’t Cano bunting with 2 on and no out? Cano right now is hitting .190 and we let him swing away, gets the force out and then a double play on the next one.

This team is making me not want to watch Yankee baseball.

• Jamal G. says:

Robinson Cano has been one of the top hitters on this team since May.

If a 2-1 loss in May to a streaking Tampa Bay Rays squad makes you not want to watch Yankees baseball then that’s on you.

• BigBlueAL says:

i love Cano as much as u do (the other day at a local card show i bought his Bowman rookie card and a 2007 autograph card of his!!!!) but i think his point is, which i agree, is that Girardi was supposed to be different than Torre in terms of actually managing a game and making things happen when ur offense is struggling, something Torre the last couple of seasons stopped doin as he just sat on his hands waiting for something to happen.

Girardi is doin the same thing, even though all he stressed durin Spring Training and at the beginning of the season was how this team has to do more of the little things to win games and not rely entirely on the offense pummeling other teams, but that hasnt happened at all. although one thing i totally disagree with Jake is i DEFINITELY will NEVER stop watching Yankees baseball, no matter how bad things may get.

68. Yankee1010 says:

I’m as pissed as anyone about htis team. There are a nuch of guys who look like they could give 2 *^&$%. At least some of them will be Type A free agents.

I think we can all step back form the ledge and realize that this team was in a worse position last year. And they’re getting A-Rod and Posada back in the next month. Yeah, it would be nice if someone stuck a “caring” prod up Abreu’s &^$, but it will not matter to him. He’s a pretty boy who is going to look absolutely awful at times, but will hopefully get the Yanks a 1st round pick and a sandwich pick in next year’s draft. The Yanks may also get a RF who isn’t afraid to get past first base with a wall.