May

On pulling the countdown lever and things that never change

I can’t say that I’m the biggest fan of the MetLife Regular Season Countdown Clock. In fact, I railed against it on Opening Day. I do, however, get a kick of the guys the Yanks dig up to pull the lever. This season, I’ve seen Bucky Dent, Paul O’Neill and Michael Kay (along with one other that I’m forgetting) do the honors. I really hope someone on the Internet is keeping track of the special guests for every game; I haven’t found that resource yet.

Anyway, last night’s was by far my favorite of the season. Buck Showalter was in town, and the long-time Yankee farmhand and former manager pulled the lever. He did it on screen with no emotion and something of a frown on his face. It was good to see that Buck Showalter, gone from the Yankees since the end of 1995, hasn’t changed one iota since then. Can we add Buck Showalter’s demeanor to the list with death and taxes?

Categories : Asides

1. Mike A. says:

Dude, former Yankee Billy Crystal!

2. ansky says:

If you’re keeping track(new Joba-ish countdown watch maybe?)I know Spags from the NY Football Giants was Tuesday and today was Oscar Gamble (sans giant fro)

3. Mike A. says:

Flaherty also did one.

4. McCaff says:

Bucky Dent has done it twice that I have been there. I find that amusing.

5. dan says:

George himself did it on opening day (the second, non-rainy, opening day)

6. Brian C says:

I’ve also seen a slew of Giants pull it (Tuck, Bradshaw, Smith, Ross, I believe).

7. RobertGKramer says:

Did I miss something? I thought I saw Oscar Gambles fro on the Diamondvision for the lever pull!

8. Jen says:

I’ve been keeping track on my blog. Unfortunately I haven’t updated my it lately. The games up to the Red Sox series up now (I know, I’m waaaaay behind). And I only have the games I attend.

This is the list I have so far:
    Game 1: Steinbrenner
    Game 2: NY Giants Aaron Ross, Steve Smith and Ahmad Bradshaw
    Game 3: Paul O’Neill
    Game 4: John Flaherty
    Game 5: did not attend
    Game 6: Yogi Berra
    Game 7: NJ Devil Zach Parise (who got booed)
    Game 8: Bucky Dent
    Game 9: Tino Martinez
    Game 10: Al Leiter
    Game 11: did not attend.
    Game 12: did not attend.
    Game 13: Bobby Murcer
    Game 14: did not attend.
    Game 15: I swear to God I thought they said Michael Caine. I’m still trying to verify this.
    Game 16: Steve Spagnuolo, Kevin Gilbride, and I think Tom Quinn was the 3rd (they were all coordinators for the NY Giants)
    Game 17: Buck Showalter (he got some boos too)
    Game 18: Oscar Gamble

9. Mike A. says:

I sure hope Bernie does it at some point.

10. greg says:

I’m with MetLife and since you get a kick out of the celebs I thought your readers might like a chance to pull the lever themselves!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that MetLife is sponsoring a sweepstakes in which one fan will have the chance to pull the MetLife Yankee Stadium Countdown Lever during the Tampa Bay game on Saturday, September 13th. The game is scheduled to be broadcast on the YES Network plus the winner also gets 4 premium tickets to the game, a meet and greet with Joe Girardi, on field access to view batting practice, a tour of Monument Park and a gift bag.

To enter, visit the sweepstakes website at http://www.metlife.com/General....._id=cs3773

Hope you give it a try, good luck!