Jun

Mike Mussina and Carl Pavano probably don’t exchange Christmas cards

Scott Proctor’s Arm alerts us to a Ken Davidoff post on the musings of Mike Mussina. My favorite story concerns Mussina’s 2006 contract negotiations:

You probably won’t be shocked to learn of Mussina’s contempt for the always-injured Pavano, but you’ll laugh nonetheless. When Mussina was negotiating a new contract with the Yankees in October 2006, Brian Cashman offered him a two-year, $18-million package.

“Brian, you’re not paying me less than you’re paying Carl Pavano,” Mussina responded. “Don’t insult me.” Mussina wound up re-signing for two years and $23 million.

More disturbing is the tale that Andrew notes on SPA about Chien-Ming Wang‘s not expecting to pitch his disastrous Game 4 of the ALDS last year. But that’s Yankee history.

While I’ve long thought of Mussina as something of a curmudgeon, this tale and the whole white board thing he’s got going on this year make me think that perhaps the Yankee win leader has a sense of humor after all.

Categories : Whimsy

1. lol I respect the guy for speaking his mind

2. Manimal says:

I thought he was funny then I remembered all those home runs to Manny Ramirez. Those weren’t funny.

3. JRVJ says:

Great comments from/re: the Moose.

Other than Mariano (yesterday notwithstanding), the Moose is the player whose 2008 I’ve enjoyed the most, and I hope he keeps it up for the rest of the year.

2009? We’ll see, but let’s do 2008 first.

4. Jamal G. says:

I’ve always thought Mike Mussina had a huge sense of humor, I also always thought he was a smart ass to the umpteenth degree. To tell you the truth, I always thought that Ken Tremendous reminds me of Mike Mussina. They just have that sense of humor that screams “You sir are a fucking idiot and I will let that be known for my amusement”.

5. Jamal G. says:

BTW, 10-PM games suck.

6. Matt M. says:

18 million for what clemens gave us
    16 million for what pettitte is giving us

along with pavano’s ~= 10mill

THIS is why we’re building a farm system. the free agent market is insane

7. Lanny says:

Well, Moose is 100% correct here.

8. Jamal G. says:

Dontrelle Willis has been named the ace of the tigers pitching staff. The Flying Tigers of Lakeland, Detroit’s Single-A affiliate that is. He will join Rick Porcello in the Florida State League to work out his issues. Dave Dombrowski is an idiot.

9. A.D. says:

I hope the best for Mussina, but I hope if he continues on next year it’s for some other team, its time for the Yanks to clean out some of the free agent vets and allow the young players to get their chance

• Lanny says:

Thats great in theory.

If said young players are good.

If not I think I’d rather have the high priced vets.

10. Matt says:

It has nothing to do with this topic but it’s the latest one, we’ve also signed 4th rounder Corban Joseph.

11. Brian says:

That bit on Wang in Game 4 of ALDS is incredible.
    I have to believe that was brought up in negotiations with Joe T., and not in a way that made Joe T. feel less culpable or more welcomed back.
    Not that I wanted Mussina to start that game, but come on.

12. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

So not only did Carl Pavano take 39.5M of our money in exchange for playing (and not playing) like a huge walking vagina for four years, he’s also driving up the cost of retaining our own free agents…

FUCK!!!!

Somebody needs to stab that guy in the nuts with a letter opener.

13. Jamal G. says:

Josh Beckett sure is getting his ass kicked.

• whozat says:

But he’s a certified bonafide Ace! That doesn’t happen to aces!

• Matt M. says:

clearly to maximize his success…he should only pitch in the 8th inning

• Jamal G. says:

Not for nothing, but there may be a shit storm heading towards Fenway Park. If Beckett is not in his 2007 form and is somewhere between 06-07, David Ortiz is out for an extended time, and Mike Lowell not having the career year he had in 07, this team does not look very good. Kevin Youkilis has slowed down in June (albeit an extremely SSS) and Daisuke Matsuzaka will pitch to his peripherals, I guarantee it.

I’m not going to attempt to paint a pretty picture here for our beloved Bronx Bombers but things are going to get pretty interesting in Red Sox Nation over the next couple of months.

14. Mike A. says:

Too bad we couldn’t get Micah Owings instead of Ross Ohlendorf. Those 88 mph lifeless fastballs are outstanding.

15. Ben K. says:

Manimal

Game time here tonight is 10 pm. Yanks are in Oakland. The lineup and game thread will go up around 9:30.

16. Mike A. says:

Justin Upton is hitting .125-.300-.278 with 34 strikeouts in his last 21 games. Ouch babe.

17. Newman says:

Question: Is anyone else rooting passionately for the Lakers tonight and in the series mainly b/c you are so filled with hatred for Boston due to the Sawx and Pats? Or is it just me?

18. the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

I’m not sure about the hate for Micah Owings in two separate threads but he’s been decent in his big league career thus far:
    224.2 IP 4.37 ERA 1.28 WHIP 170 K 71 BB 29 HR He’ll turn 26 on September 28.

Ross Ohlendorf has the following line:
    39.2 IP 5.22 ERA 1.51 WHIP 41 K 16 BB 7 HR He’ll turn 26 on August 8.

I realize that Owings pitches in the National League and has some great pitching parks in his division but he’s compiled his statistics as a starting pitcher which adds between .80 to 1.00 runs to your ERA. He also has an OPS of .922 in 100 at bats. Small sample size? Definitely, but he’s done it in the same environment that has helped him as a pitcher and has always been regarded as an excellent hitter.

I think Ross Ohlendorf has great stuff. Before the season, I thought he was the most likely guy to become the setup man when they transitioned Joba. I still think he’ll have a successful major league career. However, I have a very hard time believing that the Diamondbacks would trade Owings for him or that the Yankees wouldn’t trade him for Micah Owings.

• Ben K. says:

Let me show you something.

Pitcher A: 39.2 IP, 5.22 ERA, 41 K, 16 BB, 7 HR
      Pitcher B: 35 IP, 2.57 ERA, 38 K, 14 BB, 3 HR

Both of those pitchers are, of course, Ross Ohlendorf, but one of those lines omits the three outings this year in which he was really roughed up. He gave up 5 ER, 4 ER and 4 ER in those starts.

The problem with evaluating relievers is that their numbers can be woefully skewed by small sample sizes. If I gave you pitcher A, you wouldn’t be too thrilled, but if I gave you pitcher B, you’d say you have a great pitcher on your hands and one who has thrown better than Micah Owings.

In short, that’s why you can’t compare lines for relievers and starters straight up, and that’s why we shouldn’t be writing off Ross Ohlendorf so quickly.

19. Joey says:

btw, just read the title of the thread again, and I’m not sure there is anyone in the world that sends Pavano any X-mas cards, doesn’t his own family despise him. Okay that might be a little strong, but seriously, if they’re Yankee fans how could they not?