Jun

Welcome to Day 2

Hard to believe there’s still 44 rounds left in the draft, huh? The draft starts back up at noon (I think), and you can follow along all day via MLB’s Draft Tracker. I’m not going to blog all of the Yanks’ picks today, just the signability guys and any other ones I feel like chiming in on. Here’s some quick notes:

• Lane Meyer of NoMaas fame dug up some good info on 6th rounder Brett Marshall. Brett’s father Eddie said it’ll take around $1M to sign his son away from Rice, and to that I say: Fuck the heck dad, pay your own mortgage! Seriously though, the Yanks wouldn’t have taken the kid this high if they didn’t have the intention of signing him.
  • I’m a pitching guy for whatever reason, I’ve always tended to gravitate towards the guys on the mound more than the guys in the box, especially high schoolers. That said, there’s some great pitching left available, led by Pepperdine RHP Brett Hunter, prep RHP’s Alex Meyer & Danny Webb, and prep LHP’s Nick Maronde & Brett Mooneyham. All five are signability guys at this point, and I want Maronde more than any of the other three. Taking him right out of the chute in the 7th round would already be a steal.
  • The best hitters left on the board are Pepperdine LF/DH Eric Thames, and prep 3B’s Zach Cox and Harold Martinez. Thames missed the end of the season with a quad injury, Cox is a signability guy at this point, and Martinez just had a terrible draft year. Any of the three is a coup regardless of where they are drafted at this point.
  • John Manuel and JJ Cooper of Baseball America wrapped up the first and sandwich rounds in a great 15-minute podcast. Manuel raved about the Jeremy Bleich pick, noting that he has first round talent but fell off the radar because of a minor elbow injury.
  • KLaw wrapped up the first round best pick/worst pick style.
  • Paul DePodesta live blogged each of the Padres’ picks. DePo’s blog has become a must read, make sure you don’t miss it.

Finally, I just wanted to mention that we shattered all sort of records yesteday (and by we, I mean you). Over 25,000 readers checked in, more than double a typical game day. I guess a walk-off win and the draft will do that. Over 720 comments were left on the draft posts alone, and that oblierated the RAB single day record by like, 300 comments. Thanks for making us part of your daily rotation, and if you just found the site yesterday, thanks for sticking around in the future.

Categories : Draft

1. Scott Brosius Would make a Good Neighbor says:

Podcast link takes me back to RAB homepage. . .

2. TurnTwo says:

Thames was picked last year, right, same as Bittle? I would imagine he still has to be on the radar, especially if they liked him last year, and he then went out this past season to have an even better year than before.

3. steve (different one) says:

so wait, you are saying that the Yankees might know more than we do?

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

I have to say that the more I hear about Jeremy Bleich, the more he intrigues me. Perhaps it wasn’t the overdraft many of us considered it was at that time? Wouldn’t be the first time a controversial pick is proven to be a good one in retrospect (like the Minnesota’s Ben Revere pick last year).

• Chris says:

If noone else had him on their radar this early, why would you draft him in the supplemental round, instead of the 2nd or third round? Maybe they knew (or suspected) someone else was interested…

Even if he has first round talent, it could be an overdraft if he would have still been available at their next pick.

• Jamal G. says:

You draft the best player available on your draft board.

• NYFan50 says:

I don’t agree with this. Not unless that player is likely to go before your next pick. Otherwise you can get another player that will be gone by your next pick, and the guy you ranked 1st with your next pick.

• Jamal G. says:

That’s the greatness of the MLB draft, you have no clue how the other 29 teams rank these amateur players. Since nobody drafts on need, you can in no way assume or predict how another organization rates one of these players so that’s why it makes sens to draft the BPA on your draft board because you never know if the next organization rates him just as high or he’s about 35th on the board of another organization.

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

I guess that’s what I mean: teams do their homework re: what players other teams are looking at, and I’d imagine that Oppenheimer & co. were under the impression that Bleich might not be around by their next pick.

But even if it turns out not to have been a particularly good value pick (which is debatable at this point), I won’t be complaining if Bleich goes on to contribute at the major league level.

• steve (different one) says:

right, but how do you know what everyone else’s draft board looked like? we don’t.

we didn’t know he was on the yankees’ radar until they made the pick. same could be said for other teams.

4. Mike R. says:

Your welcome.

5. A.D. says:

Love the KLaw comment on Detroits bullpen selections, as they forced themselves into this:

The Tigers took Ryan Perry in the first round and followed up with former Team USA closer Cody Satterwhite and Kentucky reliever Scott Green in the second and third rounds, so they might simply sign all these players and replace their entire bullpen by July 1.”

6. Jamal G. says:

Yeah, Paul DePodesta does have a great blog, wonder if Brian Cashman will follow suit?!?!?!?!

7. CB says:

Last year people were saying Austin Romine might have been an overdraft because even if the yankees liked him not many other teams saw him play due to injury and the yankees could have drafted him later.

Bottom line – no one has any idea where players fall on either the yankees or other teams boards. We have no clue if Bleich was an overdraft as we don’t know where he was on other teams boards.

It’s funny – the vast majority of people here agree that the team should draft based on best player available. If that’s your philosophy and Bleich is the top name on your board you take him. Was there some need mixed into the pick? Sure. But how much the pick was based on need and how much on talent we’ll never know.

Look at it this way – when they picked Bleich there were still a number of left handers on the board. They took Bleich over those lefties and I think that says something about how much they valued his talent.

Romine turned out to be a great pick and its a very good thing they made sure they secured him last year. Let’s wait and see. Their draft generally seems to be a very nice mix of guys with high upsides and guys with high floors who are more certain. That’s the right approach, IMO.

8. Mike A. says:

They started picking. ChiSox took John Danks’ brother, Jordan.

9. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Brett Hunter goes off the board to Oakland at 214: seems to be a good pick for the A’s. I would have liked him to stick around for the Yankees at 228, but what can you do?

10. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Oi, I meant 230, not 228.

11. Mike A. says:

So much for Eric Thames.

12. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Here’s an interesting question: let’s say there’s no one you absolutely love when you go to pick. Maybe the highest guys on your draft board are guys you’re incredibly certain you can pick in the next round. Do you take a flier on a signability guy, figuring that even if you don’t sign him, it prevents another team from claiming him?

I would clearly say no, I think you should always take the guy who is highest on your board becaue there are no guarantees, but it’s an interesting question to think about.

13. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Also, Higashioka? Anyone have any information on this guy?

• Mike A. says:

Good hitter for both avg and power. Outstanding defender with a great arm. Great makeup and a great student. Dropped because of signability (committed to Cal).

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

I looked some up myself: posted some good numbers at Edison H.S., apparently, for what they’re worth (probably not much). Hit over .500 with 7 home runs and over twenty doubles, so maybe he has some power for a catcher?

Also, Florida took Galloway. That pick’s a little surprising, since I think they might have to go overslot to sign him in the 8th round.

14. NYFan50 says:

Mike, I could probably go check a Sox blog somewhere, but do you have an initial impression of the Sox picks so far?

15. Matt L says:

So is all the day 2 blogging going to be happening in this post?

16. The Fallen Phoenix says:

It almost seems as if the Yankees are alternating HS/C/HS/C. It’s certainly not a strict alternation, and it most certainly isn’t planned, but still something interesting to look at nonetheless.

Also, I won’t even try to go searching for information on a guy named Michael O’Brian.

17. Jamal G. says:

LoL at the Tampa Bay DEVIL Rays screw up by the pick announcer.

18. Jamal G. says:

Jean Rodriguez (C-George Wash. HS in NYC) to the Phillies, I saw his guy play about four times this year, not the ceiling of Angel Salome selected by the Brewers out of George Wash some years ago but he is good.

19. Mike A. says:

I started a new thread, FYI.