Jun

Yanks’ fifth pick, #140 overall

With their 4th round pick, the Yanks’ choose Corban Joseph, SS, Franklin HS (Tn.)

Scouting Report: Hits for power and average to all fields, but he’s an offense first shortstop and will likely have to change positions. He’s got a big wiry frame, so there’s plenty of room to add strength. Fast, but not a burner. Here’s his scouting video.

My Take: I’m intrigued. If the kid can hit then the kid can hit. Like I said for the Adams’ pick, the Yanks need middle infielders.

Outlook: Not sure how his signability looks, but if they lock him up he’ll head to the Rookie level GCL.

Categories : Draft

1. When do we get Long?

2. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Shot in the dark: round seven.

3. Mike A. says:

Nick Maronde, please. I’m guessing the 5th is the last round for today.

4. Mike A. says:

Dave Duncan is a nice pick for the ‘Stros. I was hoping he’d be around tomorrow.

5. zack says:

The heck kind of name is Corban? Doesn’t really look like a “Corban” to me…

In any case, if there is one thing the Yanks need, its lefties and positional prospects, so I can’t say I can really complain about their draft, even if it might not be the best in terms of value..

On an unrelated note, what an insane Sox game: Crisp starts a brawl, gets beaten on, and manages to get the pitcher ejected despite him defending himself. Then, Ellsbury potentially destroys his wrist ligament on a Matsui-type play (its at least not broken).

And THEN, Manny and Kevin Youkilis get in a fight in the dougout. Obviously driving in 5 runs tonight wasn’t enough for Manny, as Youk probably thought that Manny wasn’t trying hard enough for not running at full speed on a force out. Youk is such a jackass

• Jamal G. says:

Manny and Youk in a fight? I knew some of those guys on the Sawkz hated the whole “Manny being Manny” thing. I swear Youk, Schilling and Beckett are all closet racists. I’m joking. Kind of.

• Michael Hallmark says:

Here’s a link on Corban Joseph. HE was the Tennessean’s Player of the Year this week. Hit 15 homers & hit .510. Struck out five times in 135 times at bat.
      Kentucky signee so I think he’s signable. Not like Vandy where you have to pry them away.

6. Jamal G. says:

Corban Joseph struck out only 5 times in 135ABs, nice.

7. Harold Martinez is still out there.

8. Mike W. says:

There are some interesting articles out there if you google Corban Joseph. Looks like a real interesting hitting prospect… Who knows what he wants in terms of money.

9. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Dude is a HS shortstop and he turns TWENTY in October. I didn’t turn 20 until my second year of college…

Did he repeat a grade, get held back?

10. So Mike, early impression: Corban Joseph ___ (, or =) Bradley Suttle

11. There goes Jake Thompson.

12. Jamal G. says:

Will they stop the draft mid-round once it hits 9-PM or will they gauge how much time is left and how much time the ensuing round will take and then stop it before 9-PM?

• Mike A. says:

Heh, I can tell you’re new to this. The slackers in the various MLB FO’s will cut it short before then. I’m betting they pull the plug after the 5th round, and wrap it up at 8:30.

13. It’s like teams are giving up on the draft right now. They’re drafting no-names accross the board, and some solid players (Webb, Meyer, Long) are still out there. Imagine if we draft them all *salivates*

14. Jamal G. says:

Nick Maronde or Daniel Webb? Possibly Jamie Mallard here at #170?

15. Kudos to Colorado in taking Chris Dominguez. Enigmatically solid (lol) talent

16. Mike A. says:

Shit, I wanted Chris Dominguez. What are the Rox thinking, they won’t open the wallet for the draft eligible sophomore.

17. Mike A. says:

No whammies no whammies no whammies aaaaaand … GO!!!

18. Jamal G. says:

They said they are going six full rounds today, sweet.

19. Tripp says:

Joseph has a nice swing. Really keeps that back elbow in, which creates a lot of power.

20. Jamal G. says:

LoL, the analysts on MLB.com knew nothing of Chris Smith. They talked about the Urban Youth Academy and the Yankees taking HS guys in back-to-back picks the whole time.

• inner city baller says:

THE ACADEMY CAN’T TAKE CREDIT FOR CHRIS SMITH. THE DIRECTOR HAD A SNOBBY ATTITUDE ABOUT CENTENIAL HIGH’S PROGRAM AND FELT HE COULDN’T CO-SIGN FOR CHRIS’ FUTURE DRAFTIBILITY LAST YEAR. HE IS G PICKENS’ OF CBATS CREATION. EACH YEAR THE ACADEMY BRINGS IN PRE-ESTABLISHED TALENT FOR THEIR EVENTS TO REPRESENT THE ACADEMY TO SPIFF UP THEIR IMAGE. THEY SHOULD REMOVE THE WORDS –COMPTON AND URBAN AND JUST PUT LONG BEACH SUBURBAN ACADEMY IF THEY THINK SOUTH LA HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL PROGRAMS ARE SUB-STANDARD AND STOP FEELING SORRY FOR AND CONDESCENDING TO THE URBAN YOUTH WITH THE MLB’S SOCIO-ECONOMIC SEPERATISM AND STRATA.

21. ujshocker says:

his numbers from last year: .708/.744/1.361

22. Steve says:

Damn this site is slow today.

HEY MIKE, YOU COULD FEED THOSE HAMSTERS ONCE IN AWHILE!!! THE SITE IS WORTH 50 G’s AND THE HAMSTERS ARE STARVING!!!