Jun

Yanks’ fourth pick, #106 overall

With their third round pick, the Yanks selected David Adams, 2B, Virginia

Scouting Report: He’s a grinder, gritty, hard-nosed, all that stuff. Decent pop (10-15 homers a year), but he excels at making contact. Not fast for a middle infielder but he can still steal some bags. Great makeup, kind of guy who just gets the job done. Here’s his scouting video.

My Take: I like the pick, good value in this round. The Yanks desperately need some middle infielders.

Outlook: I’m guessing he’ll head to Staten Island later in the month. Shouldn’t be tough to sign.

Categories : Draft

1. Mike A. says:

Nick Maronde and Danny Webb, please.

2. Jake says:

Please don’t tell me we just drafted David Eckstein.

3. zack says:

Sounds like the Yanks drafted themselves their own Slappy McBaldy

4. The Fallen Phoenix says:

I guess every team needs their David Eckstein. But in all seriousness, seems like a solid, but safe, pick at #106. I figure those who are dropping for signability issues (specifically Melville) aren’t going to be going anywhere, so if he’s still miraculously on the board eight or nine rounds later, a flier pick wouldn’t be too terrible.

5. cult of basebaal says:

that’s a great scouting video … lots of footage of him making outs, in every conceivable fashion … pop up, looking k, ground out … i feel much better about this pick already!

;)

6. L says:

tim melville gone

7. L says:

ya idk why but i’m hoping that we get long and venditte…are these guys overhyped or as good as advertised?

8. Mike says:

best players left are…?

9. Lanny says:

If this kid has half the career that Eckstein has had he’ll be happy.

10. The Fallen Phoenix says:

…damn, Royals got Melville. Oh well.

11. Joey says:

Heres ESPN’s article on the brawl with an awesome picture of Coco almost being punched:

12. Jamal G. says:

Is anyone else in shock we passed on Tim Melville three times?

13. The Fallen Phoenix says:

I think it was a fair expectation that Melville continued to fall as no other big-money team pounced on him with their first two or three picks, so no. It’s very possible the Royals don’t sign him, which essentially means no team will get another shot at drafting him for another couple of years.

Not necessarily a bad thing, in my mind.

I’m actually surprised the Angels didn’t make a play for him with their first pick, which came in the low- to mid-70s (lost their first round pick signing Hunter).

14. Mike A. says:

You know, the Royals are having a beast of a draft. Hosmer, Montgomery, Johnny G, Sample, Melville … yikes.

• zack says:

Thats a whole lot of money right there. I’d still be rather surprised if Melville signs…

• Eric says:

I don’t see any way the Royals can afford to sign all those pitchers. Hosmer is a given, but I figure that that at least 1 of Sample, Melville and Montgomery will not sign. My guess is it will probably be Melville, especially if he holds firm to his demand of top 10-15 pick money. However, maybe the Royals are hoping for a hometown discount.

15. Mike A. says:

Phew. We’re saved from Brett Jacobsen.

16. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Isn’t Eric Thames still on the board as well? Or was he never thought of this highly?…

• Mike A. says:

He is, but he got hurt at the end of the year (quad) which is likely why he’s falling. I never thought he was that great to start with. 5th-8th round.

17. Joey says:

Any chance on Webb?

18. Jamal G. says:

Oppenheimer:

“Gerrit has a big, strong, projectable body with a high ceiling. He throws a power fastball with sink in the 94-98 range and has also developed a good changeup. He’s a competitor every time he takes the mound, and he pitches with a lot of confidence. We were really pleased with both of our first two selections.”

Lmao, I think he expected the hoopla over the supplemental pick so he had to put that lats bit out there of how happy he was with the Bleich pick. I trust the man.

19. L says:

corban joseph any1? any1? scouting report?

20. The Fallen Phoenix says:

While we’re on the topic of teams having good drafts, the Giants (surprisingly) have to rank up there, too.

21. Jamal G. says:

Anybody surprised that Alex Meyer and Daniel Webb has dropped thus far?

22. C. Joseph looks like he has frame to fill out.

23. [...] Take: I’m intrigued. If the kid can hit then the kid can hit. Like I said for the Adams’ pick, the Yanks need middle [...]

24. Brian Foley says:

EXCELLENT PICK by the Yankees here. This kid will be able to play in the MLB in my opinion.

25. Bob says:

The Yanks “desperately” need middle infielders? Sublett, Snyder, Cuello, and Pirela are all in the Yanks Top 50 as second basemen, as are Nunez, Angelini and Mojica (injured) at short. Seven out of 50 prospects coming from the middle infield in high A and below doesn’t sound desperate to me.

26. grinder says:

[...] pop 10-15 homers a year, but he excels at making contact. Not fast for a middle infielder but hehttp://riveraveblues.com/2008/06/05/yanks-fourth-pick-106-overall-2985/Team Notes USA [...]