Jul

All you ever wanted to know about Pitchf/x…

….and much, much more. NoMaas interviewed Josh Kalk, The Hardball Times’ resident Pitchf/x expert, and the interview sheds a lot of light on this powerful tool from MLB.com.

Categories : Asides

1. Sherman says:

Unrelated, but CBS Sports reported that IPK pitched 8 2/3 before losing a no hitter last night….woah, I guess he is doing well, he was so efficient in fact, that we didn’t even notice home get 5 more outs. That is dominance.

2. dan says:

While the player cards are interesting for now, I can’t wait until a few years down the road when we can use this info in an even more productive way. Josh has started this, in part with his “Anatomy of a Pitch” series, but I think we’re just scratching the surface. Player comps, like the ones PECOTA uses, could be a big part of this. If MLB and SportVision have the resources and desire to put this technology in some of the minor league parks (even if it’s only in AAA or AA), it would be absolutely huge.

I’m surprised there isn’t a Yankees site devoted to Pitchf/x, considering the sheer number of Yankee blogs out there. There’s already Cubsf/x and Redsf/x, among several others that I don’t know of, maybe a Yankeesf/x site isn’t far off.

3. Simon B. says:

Josh Kalk is brilliant and also a very nice guy. He’s answered all my nagging questions very promptly by email.

4. steve says:

i actually worked for mlb.com on the first year of pitch f/x system for the dbacks when i was living in arizona … i have to say it was pretty bad ass, we had alot of glitches but it was lots of fun.

5. Ben K. says:

Let me just lay this out there right now for RAB readers: Rumors comments in this thread are going to deleted. They are off topic, and we have plenty of active rumors threads going right now. Please review the commenting guidelines. Thanks.

• pat says:

on a completely related note Ben is getting ANGRY

• Ben K. says:

Hah! A little. Just tryin’ to keep the threads somewhat organized around here. We try to be pretty lenient with related topics, but pitchf/x has absolutely nothing to do with trade rumors.

• Thurman says:

If I have learned one thing during my time perusing the blogs it is that EVERYTHING my friend, is related to trade rumors

• Manimal says:

Thats why I think a Message board interface would be more efficient and easier to manage than the comment interface that we have now.

6. Manimal says:

This is pretty sick, imagine watching gameday in about 3 years from now, it will be like completely virtual representation of the actual game(Like CBS had for the College WS but better)

7. First you channel Rummy, then drop a JFK reference on the heels of Barack’s Germany speech, now a 1972 Woody Allen movie… You guys are all over the place!

Who’s next… Chita Rivera? Dan Cortese? Dag Hammarskj√∂ld? Linus Paulding?

8. Thurman says:

Sorry that response was mean, if you wanna talk about that particular one, then there is a post a few back about Joe Torre, that turns into a discussion about trades, and also one in teh thread about IPK in teh DOTF from last night.