Jul

Betances shows some improvement

As you may have noticed, our server was having some issues tonight and the site would crash every so often. This generally occurs during large spikes in traffic, which happened tonight when word of the trade got out. If you ever have trouble with the site, please give us 2 or 3 minutes to get things up and running again. If you keep hitting refresh, it only makes it worse. Thanks all.

Triple-A Scranton (7-3 win over Rochester)
Bernie Castro: 1 for 5, 1 K
Alberto Gonzalez: 2 for 5, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K
Matt Carson: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K
Juan Miranda: 2 for 3, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – .969 OPS vs RHP … .455 vs LHB
Cody Ransom: 1 for 3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Ben Broussard: 1 for 4, 1 RBI – couldn’t make it 3 straight with a homer
JD Closser: 2 for 4, 1 K
Chris Stewart: 3 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI – picked a runner off first with a snap throw
Nick Green: 0 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 K – threw a runner out at home from RF
Jeff Karstens: 5.2 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 3-6 GB/FB – 65 of 95 pitches were strikes (68.4%)
Steven Jackson: 0.1 IP, zeroes
Brian Bruney: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Billy Traber: 0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K - useless with Marte now on board … of course he was useless before that too
Chris Britton:2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 3-2 GB/FB

Double-A Trenton (2-1 loss to Portland)
Ramiro Pena: 1 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K
Edwar Gonzalez: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
James Cooper: 1 for 2, 1 RBI, 1 BB
rest of lineup: combined 0 for 21, 3 BB, 7 K – Joe Muich allowed a passed ball & committed a fielding error
Phil Coke: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K – so long Cokey
Eric Wordekemper: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
Kevin Whelan: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1-3 GB/FB
Anthony Claggett: 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 4-2 GB/FB – had allowed 1 ER since June 18th

High-A Tampa‘s game was postponed because someone forgot to the pay the Legends Field electric bill – they had a power outage. They’ve got tomorrow and Sunday to make it up.

Low-A Charleston (8-1 win over Hickory)
Abe Almonte: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K – the epic slump continues
Bradley Suttle: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B
Austin Romine, Justin Snyder & Carmen Angelini: all 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB – Romine drove in a run & K’ed … Snyder doubled, drove in a run & swiped a bag … Angelini committed a fielding error, his first in weeks
Jesus Montero: 2 for 4, 1 R, 2 RBI
Brandon Laird: 1 for 2, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB
Austin Krum: 1 for 4, 2 RBI
Dellin Betances: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HB, 7-7 GB/FB – 4 walks in his last 17 IP … improvement!
Jesse Hoover: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K
Gabe Medina: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Short Season Staten Island (6-4 loss to Brooklyn)
Ray Kruml (11): 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 RBI – he’s had the best pro debut of ’08 draftees, hands down
Steven Strausbaugh: 1 for 4, 1 R
Taylor Grote: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K – had been 3 for his last 22
Brian Chaves: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
rest of lineup: combined 0 for 14, 4 BB, 8 K – David Adams & Mike Lyon each drew a walk … Jahdiel Santamaria drew 2 walks & was caught stealing
Luke Greinke (12): 5 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 6-5 GB/FB
Jason Kiley: 2 P, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
Dan Kapala: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2-0 GB/FB

Rookie GCL Yanks (7-6 loss to GCL Indians)
Jose Pirela, Neall French & Alvaro Ramirez: all 2 for 4, 1 R – French homered & drove in 2 … Ramirez K’ed twice
Chris Smith (5) & Chase Weems: both 0 for 3, 1 BB – Smith threw a runner out at home from LF … Weems swiped a bag & K’ed
Zoilo Almonte & Yunior Tabares: both 0 for 4 – Tabares K’ed
Spencer Lucian (31): 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Emerson Landoni: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 K
Chris Garcia: 2.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 5-0 GB/FB – stay healthy!
Manny Banuelos: 4 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2 HB, 2-7 GB/FB
Mikey O’Brien (9): 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0-2 GB/FB – pro debut
Matt Richardson (15): 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K – ditto O’Brien’s comment

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Mike W. says:

Nice line from Betances.

2. Manimal says:

How did Phil Coke pitch but Tabata didn’t?

3. Kelvin says:

Improvement it is.

4. Alan says:

I’m wondering whats going to happen with Bruney after the trade for Marte. Doesn’t seem like they’ve got a spot for him now.

5. E-ROC says:

Mike A, do you think Juan Miranda will ever improve against lefties? Or will he be just a dynamite platoon player against righties?

6. Joey says:

So anyone want to take bets on what inning/body part/how Hampton gets injured tomorrow?

7. jeff says:

“Ray Kruml (11): 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 RBI – he’s had the best pro debut of ‘08 draftees, hands down”

Gotta disagree with that. Mike Lyon has been great while Addison Maruszak and Corban Joseph both been quite a bit better Kruml.

• Mike A. says:

I hear ya, but I think Kruml’s been more consistent since turning the pro. the other guys you’ve listed have had some ups and downs. Pat Venditte also deserves a mention.

• jeff says:

You’re right about ups and downs. Joseph (my early favorite in this class among the position players) has been on fire for the last two weeks –
        .395/.480/.674.

• Don Cyoti says:

Mike,
      How come Corban Joseph disappears a couple times per week? Are they platooning him somehow or for some reason? He disappears but Chris Smith is always there with his 0-3. CoJoe is from a neighboring town here in Middle Tennessee so I’ve adopted him.

8. Travis G. says:

who’s gonna take the place of Ohlendorf and Coke? McAllister and Wright/Jones?

• Mike A. says:

Well, Scranton had six starters anyway – Karstens, IPK, Igawa, Aceves, McCutchen – so no one really needs to replace Ohlie there.

Alan Horne and Jeff MArquez will be rehabbing soon, so they’ll probably fill in at Trenton for a while. No way McAllister gets promoted again.

• A.D. says:

Jones is the most deserving

9. Chris G. says:

Mike,

Do you think this trade means that Jorge is definitely going for the surgery?

10. Steve says:

If Dellin has turned a corner with his control . . . .watch out.

He’s never been hit all that much, if he can throw strikes he’ll be a beast.

11. A.D. says:

World must be coming to an end Malec hasn’t gotten a hit the past 2 days, still needs to to go to AAA

12. Brian says:

I’m strangely and unwarrantedly excited seeing Garcia/O’Brien/Richardson pitching GCL. With Hughes and Pavano this week, the GCLY fan must be uber-pleased.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

All 12 of them. I’m on vacation this week, I may go to Tampa to watch some exciting Gulf Coast League Action. Pavano should be good for a model or two in the stands at least.

13. A.D. says:

Really hope Garcia is healthy this time around

14. Joey says:

Lol, I’m really sorry everyone this has nothing to do with minor league stuff, but it’s back to Hampton. Shysterball has this chart, and since I read it a read minutes ago I still haven’t stopped laughing:

“I have no idea what’s gonna happen tomorrow, but my suggestion is to take any malady from the first list, and match it up with any body part from the second, and you’ll stand a pretty decent chance of being correct:

List 1

Achilles
    Quad
    Solar Plexus
    Groin
    Nards
    Ear ”

I’m going with lazy groin

15. Manimal says:

Anyone see ichiro’s failure.

16. Ben B. says:

Mike, I’m not trying to be a prick, but seriously, WTF?

You guys are one of the top five (top three?) Yankees blogs on the ‘Net. Hey, momma, you need a fucking reliable server. Ok?

Is this really a money issue? Would you please consider taking JUST A LITTLE more advertising to fix this problem?

Don’t be a joke.

Thanks.

• Jake says:

I know, we’re totally not getting our money’s worth from this site. I want a full refund!

• Ben B. says:

Actually, Jake. You’re right. I get a ton from this site.

Mike, why don’t you run an annual donation drive or something. I think you’d be suprised. People would contribute.

• Manimal says:

You obviously don’t understand the amount of traffic on this site. First of all there was a game going on. Add to that the extra people on because it was a sox game on. There was a trade and RAB was one of the first places to have the news. One person posts a link from RAB to there and now all the people from that site are trying to look at this site. Then someone else links it on another site, and so on.

• Ben K. says:

Ben: Let me say that no one is more aware of our server problems than the three of us. We’re working on it, but it’s not something that can be fixed overnight. If you have a personal bone to pick with us over the reliability of our server on a night when both the Yankees and Red Sox were playing and the Yanks consummated a trade that has some major short- and long-term ramifications, just e-mail us instead of airing it publicly please.

• Ben B. says:

Ben K. (Manimal, too), other Yankee sites get heavy traffic during Red Sox series and around the non-waiver trading dealine, too…. You’re not *that* special (though I’m about to tell you that really are).

Please devote a post to explain the problem to us.

I appreciate your point about publicly airing dirty laundry, and if this were a little thing, like typos or formatting or dead links, and/or the first time that this had happened, I completely agree that I should just have emailed one of the three of you directly, BUT THOSE AREN’T OUR FACTS.

OUR FACTS are that your server sucks and you guys have been publicly (on this site) complaining about your server for over a year (and *privately* complaining about it for G*d knows how long).

So, what’s the problem? You need money? I love the content on this site. Dave Pinto at Baseball Musings runs an annual donation drive that I contribute to. If you guys do the same thing, I’m sure you will be really pleasantly surprised at how many people contribute $5, $10, $100. Really. I’ll donate $1,000 … you have my email address and contact info, so long as you pledge that it will go to a new server or that you will move your site to a platform that can better support you.

I’m being serious. You need to take a step back, and appreciate your place among Yankee fans. This is a serious site, and serious baseball fans come here. I know you guys have regular day jobs that you don’t plan to quit, and I REALLY appreciate that this site is not overrun with advertisements, so what do you need to make it better? What do you need to make it *work*?

You need to acknowledge that, of the top 50 baseball blogs/sites on the Internet, you guys are the ONLY site that has this problem.

And, the time has come for you to fix it.

Now.

Thanks.

• Geno says:

Actually, I have a site that needs server enhancements as well. I’ll let you know who to make the check out to!

17. the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

You guys do wonderful work with this site. The idea to accept donations has merit as it might decrease the necessity for accepting advertising. I’m more than happy to roll with the punches when there are server issues, I just think that this site is worthy of any revenue it can generate. Thanks for all your efforts.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Screw that. I say get the craziest advertising you can get. If you want to do a donation drive, great. I’ll contribute. (Make it tax deductable) But you guys deserve to reap the benefits of your hard work.
      I would love to see “River Ave Blues – Powered by Enzyte, to make your blog bigger and better.””.

18. Joltin' Joe says:

Beat you guys to the punch on trade analysis…..well sort of. You can read it from my link.

Uhh, Mike A., Ben K., Joe P., any chance I can get my blog added to your blogroll, so I can get some exposure without having to whore myself in the comments? Yeah, I know it’s against guidelines but you know you want it. LoL

19. Mashmore says:

Alan Horne apparently on his way to Trenton…

20. DaveM says:

This is a very good site. I don’t care what those douche bags say. :-) Just kidding with the insult. I’ve always wanted to call someone that.