Jul

Bobby Murcer passes

The YES Postgame report just said that Bobby Murcer has passed away. Our deepest condolences to his family. More details to come.

Update: Here’re the details from the official site. It’s a sad day in Yankeeland.

Categories : Asides

1. Scott says:

Bobby Murcer a great man, went to the Yankee game when he made his come back from Brain Cancer, and can remember all of the Yankee’s coming out of the dugout and saluting Bobby Murcer in the Press Box, It gave me chills to see such respect for him. He was obviously a great man and a great Yankee. As a member of younger yankee fans, I wasn’t able to see Bobby Murcer play, but from stories from my father as well as learning a lot about him during the Thurman Munson tragedy, and the game that followed. I feel a deep sense of loss…My condolences go to the entire Murcer family and Yankee family

• Mike T says:

I thought I might reply as an ‘older’ fan. Bobby Murcer cost me my dream job as a vendor at Yankee Stadium. It was June 24, 1970, my first and last day as a vendor selling sodas. Bobby was my hero. I wore his number on my little league team. I saved EVERYTHING I could about him, news clippings, scorecards, baseball cards. In the first game of the doubleheader he hit a homerun in his last at bat. (I think they lost that game) In the second game he had hit homers his first 2 times up. I just couldn’t even THINK about selling sodas. When he came up the third time I was just about to go give someone a soda who had already paid me. I could only see Bobby swing and connect from my vantage point. I heard the crowd roar so I dropped my case of sodas and ran up the aisle just in time to see him rounding second base. After a long celebration with other fans I remembered the sodas. When I got back there was a supervisor standing over my now empty case of sodas. He ‘ushered’ me back to the distribution room and promtly told me that I was no longer needed. At 15, with brand new working papers, I had just been fired from my first job. I didn’t care at all. I had been at the games where Bobby Murcer hit 4 home runs in 4 at bats! A HUGE piece of my childhood died yesterday. My heart is broken and I’m not ashamed of the tears that won’t stop as I read all of the tributes to this TRUE YANKEE. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family on what must be a miserable day for them. Thank You, Bobby Murcer, for making my childhood something I look back on with great joy! If anyone would dare question Murcer’s embodiment of the Yankee Spirit I would direct them to the Munson Game. I won’t babble any further but PLEASE look up what happened that night at Yankee Stadium and be prepared to be mesmerised!

• Dave P. says:

August 7, 1983. My first game at Yankee Stadium. I was nine and it was Bobby Murcer Day. He had just retired earlier that year and my Aunt suprised me with tickets for my birthday. We were in the upper deck in right field near the foul pole. I don’t recall much of the game other than the Yankees lost and Lance Parrish homered for the Tigers. I remember however the crowd laughing and cheering as former teammates of Murcer’s did a light-hearted roast. I didn’t get all the humor, though I do remember someone presenting him with a rocking chair. It’s hard to believe that was 25 years ago. It feels like yesterday. It’s so sad to think that my first memory of Yankee Stadium has passed. My prayers go out to his family. I only wish I kept the program they gave out.

2. Radnom says:

RIP

I hadn’t heard anything on him in a while….I thought his outlook had been improving?

• Jamal G. says:

Nah, a couple weeks ago he had a setback or two. I believe he was in the hospital for a little while before this happened.

• Steve says:

Yeah, when the family announced that setback it was their way of bracing people for what was about to happen. Doctors usually know when someone is getting towards the end.

RIP Bobby, great guy who lived a wonderful life.

3. The Scout says:

I did see Murcer play in his prime. He was a fine player, asked to be a superstar when he really wasn’t. To his credit, the expectations never seemed to weigh too heavily upon him as they did with some others. He handled everything with class and style.

4. dkidd says:

so sad right now. loved that man. hope he didn’t suffer too much

we miss you bobby

5. Joey H says:

the only further details you need to post is that he was a great inspiration to all of us. and i dont know what i am more of right now, mad or sad that ill never hear him next to kenny and kay again. he was an inspiration to all and i can honestly say im not like this now that hes gone, i wanted in the worst way for him to come back as i do bob sheppard. what more is there to say, we have lost one of the finest men in pinstripes. god bless him. RIP

6. SG says:

Jeez I wish Kim would have stopped the interview with Joe Girardi. That was hard to watch.

Poor Bobby. I am too young to have seen him play, but I’ll miss him up in the booth.

The flag should fly at half mast at Yankee Stadium Tuesday.

7. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

RIP Bobby.

8. Zack says:

Of course, while I don’t remember ever seeing Bobby play, all I can ever think of is this game: http://tiny.cc/kj4Ir. I think its pretty much the embodiment of who Bobby was as a friend, a person, a player, and a Yankee–One of the singular moments of a player singlehandedly refusing to let the team lose in the face of circumstances. Bobby always represented to me the best of the 1970s Yankees that I just missed, the bridge between the two eras–just missing the glory days of the Mantle Yanks and arriving back again a year too late for the revival. I grew up watching Bobby and Phil on WPIX and he without a doubt shaped my vision of baseball and the Yankees

9. r.w.g. says:

I am really going to miss Bobby. He was one of the best things going on YES Network.

I really enjoyed his stories from the old days and his self-deprecating sense of humor: “I might have had a few more home runs if I could hit a curveball.”

10. LiveFromNewYork says:

Class act Bobby. He was a great player and a great announcer.

11. Frank says:

I’m sure Thurman & Scooter were right there to greet him when he got those Pearly Gates. RIP Bobby.

12. Rich says:

I think they were giving the fans a heads up a few weeks ago when they said it was taking a toll on him.

Bobby was my favorite Yankee growing up.

RIP

13. Tim says:

Chills down my spine reading this. Prayers for him and his family. He will be missed.

14. Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

I have made a small donation to B.A.T. – Baseball Assistance Team, which raises funds for former players who have fallen on hard times. Murcer was a chairman. Our condolences to him, his family, and all Yankee fans (like me) who grew up with him as their “Mr. Clutch” hero….

-Scott

15. Jamal G. says:

I was born in 1989 so obviously I’ve never seen Bobby Murcer play in real life or ever, outside of some highlights on the YES Network. However, when he was in the booth and Jim Kaat and himself were sitting up there telling stories from real old-school players I just became great fans of them both. I will miss him.

This from PeteAbe’s blog, is there a better story that portrays Bobby Murcer’s glowing personality?

Kimberly Jones: “I will never forget how kind Bobby was or how much he cherished every day. Back in March 2005, in one of my first interviews with Joe Torre, he first declined to answer a harmless question then asked me to hold his gum. I extended my notebook and Joe placed the wad on the top page. I had no idea what to think. Two seconds later, Bobby was howling in laughter, as was Joe. It was through a practical joke that Bobby figured he would help the newcomer break the ice. And it was something Bobby and I laughed about many, many times in the years to come. He was always smiling, always upbeat and his spirit was undeniable. Everyone loved Bobby and we will miss him dearly.”

16. Brenda Caro says:

I wish to send my condolences to Bobby Mercer’s family. I so enjoyed him as a player and as an excellent Yankee commentator. He will be sorely missed.

17. Count Zero says:

The Yankee hero of my youth…very sad to hear the news.

18. Dylan says:

RIP Bobby, thanks for all the moments.

19. Joseph M says:

I remember Bobby in his salad days he was a solid major league player. Two years stand out in my mind, 1971 and 1972. In 1971, Bobby worked hard in spring training with Mickey Mantle with the aim of improving his offensive skills. Boy, did that pay off. Bobby finished second in the batting race battling Rod Carew all season long and finishing at .331. The folowing year Bobby hit over 30 homers in the strike shortened 1972 season.

The best offensive display of his career took place at a weekday afternoon doubleheader at the stadium in late June 1970. It was a memorable afternoon, the Yankees lost the first game to Cleveland and won the second game on a late game homer by Bobby. That was Bobby’s third home run of the game! He also hit a homer late in the first game. By the time the afternoon was over Bobby had home in four consecutive at bats! I remember sitting behind some very loud Cleveland fans, when Bobby hit the two run blast that would put the Yankees ahead for good in the second game they shut up like clams.

To a young Yankee fan with not a whole lot on the field to root for, Bobby was a very special player in those years.

I remember the last broadcasts Bobby did this year and listening to him you understood he was battling just to make it through the game, but he did make it because he was such a battler.

A very sad day in Yankeeland, we have lost a real Yankee and more importantly a real human being. God Bless Bobby and his family.

20. Ivan says:

Great guy, and I will surely miss especially in the booth.

21. Bill says:

I’m only 21, so obviously I never was able to see Bobby play. All I know is that there were two announcers that I will always remember. Phil Rizzuto and Bobby Mercer. Bobby was just a great guy, I ran into him once and he was nothing but nice, and that aura ran through into his commentary. From what my Father always told me he was always a great and exciting player . On ESPN Rob Neyer wrote an article on him, and while I didn’t read the whole article I thought the first three paragraphs were touching. It showed us the expectations he had as a player. The comparisons to Mickey and so on. To turn out as good of as a player as he was is a sign of his own character. I’d really love to read the rest of that Neyer article, part of me wants to sign up for Insider for that purpose only. All I know is that we lost a great Yankee.

22. I’m lucky enough to have watched Murcer make his return to the Yankees and then follow him thorugh boradcasting. He will be missed.

23. Vin R. says:

He was a great yankee and a joy to listen to in the booth. Perhaps Bobby passed at the age of 62 so he could help us win number 26

24. SportsLifer says:

I never had the opportunity to meet Bobby Murcer in person, but I’ve written about him several times in my SportsLifer blog recently. Perhaps most poignant and fitting today is the reflective piece I wrote about Murcer’s eulogy at Thurman Munson’s funeral in 1979, where he used the words of my great uncle, Angelo Patri, the famed progressive educator, writer and philosopher.
    Murcer sobbed as he read: “The life of a soul on earth lasts longer than his departure. He lives on in your life and the life of all others who knew him.”
    The words are from Uncle Angelo’s syndicated column, Our Children, and were written in 1928.
    “In one sense there is no death,
    The life of the soul on earth lasts beyond his departure.
    You will always feel that life touching yours
    That voice speaking to you — that spirit looking out of other eyes,
    talking to you in the familiar things he touched…
    Worked with…loved as familiar friends.
    He lives on in your life
    And in the lives of all others that knew him.”
    Following Munson’s funeral, the Yankees returned to Bronx, where Uncle Angelo had become the first Italian-born American to become a school principal in 1907. That night the Yankees faced the Baltimore Orioles in a nationally televised game. Yankee manager Billy Martin wanted to give the emotionally drained Murcer the night off, but Bobby insisted on playing. Murcer single-handedly brought the Yankees back from a 4-0 deficit with a three-run homer in the seventh and a two-run single to win the game, 5-4, in the bottom of the ninth.
    Murcer never used the bat from the game again and gave it to Munson’s widow, Diana