Jul

Everything — except the name — is for sale

The Yanks may not be selling the naming rights to their new stadium for hundreds of millions of dollars, but they are going to sell, well, everything else. Via Tyler Kepner in today’s Times: “Since the All-Star break, every time a Yankees pitcher records a strikeout, the P.C. Richard whistle plays over the loudspeakers as part of a sponsorship deal.” I haven’t been to a game post-All Star Break yet to experience this joy, but I believe that this move — the selling of a play on the field — may be a first. TV and radio broadcasts engage in this practice, but no team that I know of has sold plays before.

Categories : Asides

1. Sean McNally says:

This isn’t completely out of the ordinary.

I believe the strikeout board is sponsored in Washington as well.

Hell, in Toronto if a pitcher strikes out a certain number of people, everybody gets free pizza.

2. Jesse says:

At Jet Games, the same thing happens. Every time there is a 3rd down the PC Richard whistle is blown.

3. dan says:

I thought it was pretty ridiculous/funny when the White Sox started sponsoring their start time (7:11) for every night game.

• Sciorsci says:

I think it’s a brilliant idea. Maybe it’s because I work in the industry, but I’d much rather see creative marketing tie-ins that either play on the name of the sponsor or the purpose of the sponsorship. For example, the Coors Light Freeze Frame works, since Coors is currently marketing their cold-activated bottles pretty heavily.

In a practical sense, for the average fan, what difference does it make whether the game starts at 7:05pm or 7:11pm, and so long as teams are in the business of generating marketing revenue, it’s a perfect fit. The White Sox are not the only team to do so (there’s at least a handful at the MiLB level), and I think most teams would consider it if 7-11 had a significant sponsorship package.

4. scott says:

The more they make on outlandish deals the less they have to charge the fans. Anything to not have PSL’s

5. Peedlum says:

I live in LA now and I’ve been wondering what the hell that whistle is after strikeouts (I even put up a comment asking at one point). On TV it sort of sounded like the PC Richard whistle but I couldn’t say for sure so thanks for clearing that up.

Better the PC Richard whistle than another $10 tacked onto ticket prices. I get back to NY for games rarely these days so I won’t deign to complain, but the prices sure have changed over the last 10 years. With the new stadium I’m sure that trend will continue.

6. Jen says:

I was wondering what that whistle was. I haven’t heard a PC Richard commercial in a while so I was having trouble placing it. It’s fucking annoying.

Like Sean said, Toronto has a Sunday pizza promotion (Pizza Pizza brand actually) where if the pitching staff strikeouts 7 batters everyone gets a free pizza. I was at a Yankee game up there in ’05 (Lilly versus Wright). Lilly got up to 6 K’s and the crowd started to chant Pizza – Pizza every time he or another pitcher got 2 strikes on someone. I think it was the first time I’ve heard a crowd chant for a food rather than a team.

7. Joltin' Joe says:

I remember the Jiffy Lube Double Play on ESPN 1410.

8. The 6th inning is proudly brought to you by Screw You Pal Tires.

If you can find a better set of tires… Screw You, Pal!