Jul

Game 97: Rookie vs Rookie

Sean Gallagher, recently acquired in the Rich Harden deal, toes the rubber for his second start in green and gold today. In his first outing he shut down the team with the best record in baseball, and he’s one of the most unheralded good young pitchers in baseball. Pitchers like this tend to … uh … “frustrate” the Yanks, so it’ll be a nice test for the Little $200M Engine That Could.

Yesterday’s win was a quality one, they got big hits with two outs, Moose battled early then retired the last 13 men he faced, and the bullpen finished the game off with three perfect frames without a ball leaving the infield. If you created a blueprint for a win, that’s how you’d draw it up. Let’s do it again.

1. Jeter, SS
2. Abreu, RF
3. A-Rod, 3B
4. Giambi, DH
5. Posada, C
6. Cano, 2B
7. Betemit, 1B
8. Cabrera, CF
9. Gardner, LF

And on the mound, the Winnebago Wonder, the Corn-Hustler, The Bachelor Wannabe, Joba “more popular than Wilt” Chamberlain.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Jamal G. says:

Mike Ashmore is the greatest. In his “Around the Eastern League” piece, he asked Red Sox prospect Daniel Bard about his time in Lancaster (High-A, Boston) and if he was happy to leave. Here is the answer Ashmore got from Bard:

Bard: “Screw that place, I didn’t want to go back. I was there about six weeks last year, it’s a tough place to pitch. But it wasn’t even the ballpark, it was mostly me. I had a lot of things to figure out, and I figured most of them out. That’s why I’m here now, I guess.”

LoL, that first sentence just had me dying.

2. LiveFromNewYork says:

Can anyone tell me how many farm to bigs and back again roster moves there have been made this year? It seems like a lot more than usual and who’s been where and what is their fate. I’m losing track of who has a shot next, who’s already had a shot and blown it etc etc. Maybe a DoTF posting but I’m just curious to see the list.

• Mike A. says:

I think there were more last year. Remember, their rotation was in bad shape because of injuries early last year, you had Wright, DeSalvo, Clippard et al going up and down. There’s always a ton of relievers going up and down each year.

I don’t know the exact number, but it doesn’t seem like there’s been that many up-and-downs this year.

3. Mike A. says:

Since moving to the rotation on June 2nd, Joba has the 17th best ERA amongst starters in all of baseball, 7th best in AL (if you consider Harden & CC NLers).

Oh, and ESPN’s stat pages suck ass.

• Mike A. says:

He’s also got the 4th highest Kper9 in baseball during that period.

Proof he belongs in the pen.

• cult of basebaal says:

from the NY POST 7/18

GOOSE GOSSAGE knows about the bullpen and about the Hall of Fame. So listen to what he had to say yesterday. Gossage believes the Yankees New York Yankees need to put Joba Chamberlain Joba Chamberlain back in the pen and that George Steinbrenner should someday join him in Cooperstown.

“I think he’s more valuable, personally, in the bullpen, to utilize him two or three or four days out of the week is more valuable to a ballclub than starting him,” Gossage said of Chamberlain.

If Joba goes back, who starts in his place?

“The way starters are used today, now it’s getting closer to five innings to being a quality start,” Gossage said. “I think they can get most anybody to be a starter today. With the emphasis on those set-up guys, they’ve really been instrumental. Now you don’t win a world championship without a great, great bullpen. So I think he was more valuable in the bullpen.”

• B says:

How would you feel about trying to acquire Huston Street from Oakland(if the price isn’t ridiculous) to set up for Mariano and then eventually take over when Mo retires? Street is under contract for a few more years.

Just wondering what people think?

• Mike A. says:

I do think Street is a bit over-rated, but he’s still very good. I’d explore it, but it obviously depends on the price. Knowing Beane, he’ll ask for Jackson, Montero, McAllister, Brackman and Joba.

• TheLastClown says:

I know you’re hyperbolizing a little bit, but realistically, what do you think it would take to get him? I think everyone in the league knows they’re not getting Joba. He’d probably ask for Melancon, a la Gallagher for Rich Harden *excluding the other pieces of course*

On another note, do you think the Angels will pay K-Rod what he wants? Which team will? Would he be willing to accept closer money for a setup job and a takeover when Mo’s done *a la the above scenario*?

• Mike A. says:

For just Street? IPK and David Robertson? Not sure.

• christopher says:

too much of an ego to take a back seat. cant blame him. it would be like asking- lebron james to back up kobe

just couldnt work and dont forget recent history. almost every year there is a 2 or 3 week span when rivera gets a tired arm and the “is he done?” talk starts from all the morons out there. it will become let K ROD close.

mark my words – the yankee closer when Mo finally hangs it up will be Phil Hughes. I just have a feeling that with his talent and propencity for getting hurt that the yanks will pull a papelbon – that of course meaning they will move him to a closer, not make him an obnoxious assclown out of him.

and for those who want to compare papelbon to Mo – when he closes 20 straight postseason games with half the appearances being 2 innings – then come with the argument

• cult of basebaal says:

why do we need more bullpen arms? we don’t need street, we don’t need fuentes. we’ve got bullpen arms coming out of our ears and that’s not even accounting for melancon and sanchez for next year. the bullpen is going to be covered for a LONG time.

• B says:

I see what your saying about bullpen arms but we don’t have a clear cut definite closer to take over. Also right now they might be high prospects in our minors but we still don’t know yet if they can pitch in the majors.

Street is different than Fuentes, he is about 10 years younger and is under control for a few more season than Fuentes. And as I like the idea someone had about K-rod, but I can’t see it happening(but we can all wish). I didn’t mention K-rod because that would have to be something that happens after the season, and Street would help for the rest of this year as well as future seasons.

• christopher says:

but we have joba to close

too bad he cant throw with both arms- then he could start, but still throw those 3-2 soooo important innings times a week – when he doesnt startof course

• B says:

Goose really needs to let this one go!

• B says:

MLB All-Stars choose baseball’s best player. (saw on yahoo main page)

And the winner is…….Alex Rodriguez!

4. E-ROC says:

Double plays are a pitcher’s best friend. Cust had no chance.

5. Mike W. says:

Is Girardi ordering Jeter to see no more than 2 pitches per plate appearance? Just wondering…

6. LiveFromNewYork says:

Jorge is def going under the knife this winter.

• christopher says:

hate to say it but the posada contract is looking pretty bad – not an idictment on cashman as he had no choice really, but as a DH or 1B Posada is good, but hardly as valuale as when he is catching and its beginning to seem like his catching days are behind him.

just as giambi in the past and to a lesser extent matsui and damn this year – he is going to clog up a sot at 1B or especially DH where the team could sign a far better offensive player – if they go out and sign a ig bat someone getssqueezed next season – matsui, damon, or posada (if he cant catch)

personally i would like to see 2 bats signed – a 1B and an outfielder or even a DH. As it stands the roster makes it very tough to bring in an OF and impossible to get a DH and i may be in the minority but i would love to see adam dunn and the 400 OBP and the possibility of 50 homers. dont care what people say about his lack of love for the game.

unfortunatly, the gluttony of hobbled players who cant effectively play the filed need to continue until 2009 with th only thing that changing being posada replacing giambi as the guy who plays 1st – a defensive liability

7. E-ROC says:

Ellis gets got with heat!

8. batty says:

Looks like someone told Meachum that runs happen when the ball isn’t going to get to the plate before the runner does.

9. TheLastClown says:

Wow….Bobby Meacham with the red light…..how odd

10. TheLastClown says:

Melky sez:

“I wanna keep my job”

11. cult of basebaal says:

HACKY!!!

12. Mike W. says:

Gardner is really, really fast!

13. Jersey says:

Clutch. Wait…

14. Angus P. Crotchpuncher IV says:

I don’t know which is the most surprising. Melky driving Robbie in, Robbie being there in the first place, or Gardner actually doing something. Somebody call me when hell starts thawing again.

15. Jersey says:

Doubly clutch! Alex needs to show these doofs how it’s done now.

Gallagher has thrown 50+ already. Nice!

16. Mike A. says:

Wow. What a job by Gallagher to limit the damage.

17. Jamal G. says:

That’s some ballsy pitching by Sean Gallagher right there.

18. Jersey says:

God I hate this offense sometimes.

19. Flynn says:

my god, the season in a nutshell, 2nd and 3rd no outs and Jeter Abreu and Arod all fucking whiff.. Awful. Should have hung 4 on this kid, let em off easy why don’t ya?

20. E-ROC says:

Gallagher gives up two runs to mediocre hitters; then procedes to strike out the side that consists of Jeter, Abreu and A-Rod. Wow…

21. Jamal G. says:

If a double-play if a pitcher’s best friend then a triple=play is a pitcher’s friend with benefits.

22. Jamal G. says:

Blake Monar needs to be signed. Reading a piece that NoMaas’ Draft Blog had on him makes me even more in awe of this southpaw with reported nasty, nasty breaking pitches.

When asked how his mound demeanor compares with Joba Chamberlian, this is how he responded:

BM: I don’t want to give up a HIT, much less a run. I don’t want to just win the game, I want to humiliate the opposition. I want to make them look as bad as possible. I want to be perfect and I want to dominate.

Awesome.

• Joe says:

Those guys are really providing me with my fix until August 15th.

• TheLastClown says:

IPK said similar things earlier this year, and got all indignant when his struggles were rewarded with a trip to Scranton, like he was entitled to flounder until he did dominate.

You love to see the mentality out of young players, but its really how he responds to getting mangled in the big leagues that we see the true colors of the fight in the dog, if you will.

How old is he?

• christopher says:

if he really has the 2 best breaking pitches than get little MF signed. i imagine that he as close to unsignable as they come, but if is that ood why not thow the kid a million instead of waitin years to give 5 million.

he has dominant lefty set-up man written all over him although high schoolers are such a high risk – how many times have we read about these great young 17-18 year old guys who are so projectable and tun out get hurt throwing (bar fight)od knows or turn out to be crap. god knows we have seen enough international guys turn out to be jackson melian – all hype but nothing else

but if they will doll out millions to 16 year old players from latin america – why not draft these unsignable guys in the late rounds and give them a share of the money. seems less of a gamble to me as there is more info on them – one would think.

plus, this draft was very dissapointing to me and unless they sign a large portion of the players

23. Joe says:

Other than Longoria is any other A.L rookie having as good a year as Chamberlin?

24. Bonos says:

The score should be 4 – 0 on a regular team, two tappers to the right, that’s all. Jeter and Abreu both struck out on ball four. What, Harden reappeared in Oakland uni. Totally unacceptable. All Stars, my ***.

25. TheLastClown says:

Who lit the fire under Robbie? Who was it?? Come forward and claim your prize!!

26. cult of basebaal says:

ROBBIE THE RIPPER!

27. cult of basebaal says:

quality at bat from hacky mcheadfirstslide

28. Bonos says:

Yep, Hacky, Meekly Cabrera.

29. Jamal G. says:

Wilson Betemit’s inner thoughts as that ball was coming down: “Cano if you don’t get your ass over here…OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod!!!!”

30. Joe says:

Its been really impressive and subtle at the same time, but Chamberlin is doing a much better job throwing less pitches per inning without really effecting how he pitches

• TheLastClown says:

Well once the lineup turns over & people are tired of striking out, they’re naturally going to swing earlier in the count, making outs & saving Joba valuable pitches.

I love how he mixes his two & four seam fastballs, and he also looks like he’s got about a 5-6 MPH differential in his curveball alone, ranging from 78-83…..so even if a hitter can guess whats coming, it isn’t definite what speed the curve or the fastball will be.

When he gets confident in the change it isn’t even going to be fair.

31. Jamal G. says:

Joba Chamberlain’s last 10.2-IP has consisted of a 15/0-K/BB ratio. Dominant.

32. Ivan says:

Man whats up with Carlos Gomez? Second in the AL in K’s and he’s not even a power hitter yikes.

• Jamal G. says:

Was rushed to the Major Leagues last year due to injuries for the Mets. I guess the Twins either did not have a better option for their 2008 Center Fielder or they felt that it would best serve him to go through his growing pains at the Major League level than at Triple-A.

• Mike A. says:

He really should have started the year in AA. They could have used Span or Pridie (another guy they got in the Garza deal) as a stopgap for a year or two.

• Jamal G. says:

I’m think the Twins are wishing they had. Looking at what the Marlins are doing with Cameron Maybin still in Double-A, the Twins might have still been in the same place they are now while Gomez is properly developing. Using FanGraphs’ WPA stat, Gomez has actually contributed to nearly two less wins for the Twins. So they could have probably been in a better place with a replacement level veteran out there.

33. Bonos says:

Yes there you go, a real leadoff hitter. First pitch swinging. Putz.

34. Bonos says:

I swear the Yankees are handicapping Joba. Otherwise they are dumb. Jeter the ultimate team baseball player. Yeesh.

35. Jamal G. says:

A-Rod has had some great swings these past two games. I really think he is on the verge of one of those April ’07 type streaks.

• TheLastClown says:

I think you’re right…if we could just dig up Bartolo Colon to face him, it’d expedite the process a little bit

36. Yankee1010 says:

8 runners left on through 4. Why get a few big hits 2 games in a row?

37. Will says:

LOVE the fact that Coney’s gonna be obsessed with the Bo Jackson/Brian Bosworth thing for the rest of the broadcast.

38. Mike@ NYYU says:

Can Gardner do anything else besides run real fast?

• Joe says:

Sometimes he goes 2-2 while running really fast!

• Mike @ NYYU says:

Wow…he’s up to .190 now!

• Joe says:

Who’s more of a threat to score when they get on base Gardener or Giambi. If he does (and if) adjust, hits .250 to .275, can walk hes going to be perfectly fine. Give him some time

• cult of basebaal says:

color me doubtful. and i was all in favor of giving him a chance, because melky … well melky’s just awful … but i just don’t see gardner ever hitting enough with his current approach to ever be anything resembling a decent starter … it’s too bad, he’d be an awesome weapon if he could get to a .350 obp, but there’s no reason for MLB pitchers not to just pound him with strikes …

39. Jamal G. says:

Bryan Hoch has a nice article on David Robertson.

40. Yankee1010 says:

Can someone grab Melky by the neck and kick him in the balls? What the hell is with the Mondesiesque throw into the infield to show off his arm strength? There was no way he was throwing Murton out at home, but he decided to load up and try to throw the ball I guess toward home. He’s lucky that Bankston isn’t on 2nd right now.

41. Jamal G. says:

That should not be an Error. I played Center Field my last two years in High School, line drives directly at you are the most impossible fucking things to catch.

*LoL at the crowd groaning at all the first pitch swinging.

42. Mike A. says:

WTF is with all the first pitch swinging?

• whozat says:

I just don’t understand how they can think “hey, this guy has thrown 85 pitches through the first 4 innings. I should swing early because CLEARLY he’s throwing lots of strikes.”

43. cult of basebaal says:

ANOTHER great at bat from hacky …

• Jon says:

I hope people realize he is responsible for half of our offense today…

• cult of basebaal says:

yeah, on a weak ass pop fly that he hit off the end of the bat that happened to fall in … he hasn’t had a decent at bat yet.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Would you have rather he hit a hard line drive right at someone for an out?

• cult of basebaal says:

not in that singular instance. however, it’s not too difficult to grasp that a batter who consistently hits line drives is far more likely to be a successful hitter than one who consistently hits weak pop ups on pitches they were fooled on.

meekly’s had 3 at bats today that ranged from weak to awful. the fact that he got lucky in one of them doesn’t change the fact that he continues to be a giant anchor on this team’s offense and one of the worst hitting regulars in the american league.

• Jon says:

What a predictable response.

44. Yankee1010 says:

Nice. 10 runners left on through 5. The Yanks know they’re allowed to knock those guys in, right?

45. Mike @ NYYU says:

2 on, 1 out. 1st pitch hacking by Cano and Melky. 2nd half same as the 1st.

46. Mike A. says:

Cat-like reflexes.

47. Newman says:

A fist pump?! Suspend him!

48. joe says:

Cano reminds me of nomar in the mid to late 90s, he swings at everything, but is so good sometimes its hard to get upset

49. Yankee1010 says:

How about a little run support for Joba? Too much to ask?

50. Mike A. says:

Classic Derek Jeter plate appearance right there.

51. Jamal G. says:

Alan Embree throws 92-95MPH. I’m assuming the reason he has those less than stellar numbers is because his breaking pitchers are severely lacking.

52. Jamal G. says:

Santiago Casilla has some nasty stuff. Never actually seen him on T.V. though, can’t wait.

53. Newman says:

This is beyond pathetic already, how are we winning this game? Thank Mo for Joba

54. Yankee1010 says:

I’m residgned to this offense frustrating the hell out of me for hte rest of the year. Such an infuriating team.

55. Bonos says:

Jeter cost this team two runs by his attitude. As well as the first, Gardner on first, no outs, he flies out on the first pitch.

56. Jamal G. says:

I have never seen so much anger while the team is winning. What the hell is going on?

• Newman says:

12 runners left on base through 6 innings and a one run lead. This team has had countless chances to blow the game open but they haven’t. Frustration is what the hell is going on

• Yankee1010 says:

I think it’s because this team continues to tease people into thinking that they will actually play good baseball and hit in big spots. Then, there is yet another day like today where they have no interest in coming up big.

• Jersey says:

Now they’re not winning anymore, it’s tied – but they SHOULD be up by a run or two still. And you could just see it coming.

• Yankee1010 says:

See. Now it’s tied becaus ethey did jack shit all along with all of the opportunities to blow the game open. Fuck this team.

57. Mike A. says:

Kurt Klutch, at it again. Luckily this one stayed in the yard.

58. Yankee1010 says:

Veras should have had him struck out on the pitch that was called ball 1.

59. Chip says:

I really disagree with removing Joba after 96 pitches

• Mike A. says:

I’m fine with it. The bullpen was been really really good of late, plus it’s 1,000 degrees outside.

• Yankee1010 says:

It’s a difficult decision because he’s young, it’s hot as hell and you don’t want to burn his arm out. It would have helped if the offense wasn’t in a coma.

60. Mike A. says:

That was the good ol’ unintentional intentional walk to Cust to get to the rook.

• Shawn says:

How many times does the bullpen have to blow a lead before people start saying we need bullpen help. This is at least the 3rd time when Joba has started! He would have at least 4 or 5 wins as a starter if not for the bullpen! Ugh.

• Ivan says:

are your serious dude? Joba is not winning because of lack of runs not lack of bullpen.

• Shawn says:

If he leaves with a lead and the bullpen can’t hold that lead its because of the bullpen and not run support. Granted yea, they haven’t score that many runs for him but the bullpen needs to hold that lead! And like i said before that has happened at least 3 times during Joba’s starts.

Ouch, after Posada’s beating behind the plate today. I think he’ll be the DH tomorrow.

• Mike A. says:

No bullpen is perfect. They’ve been pretty damn good this year, you can’t really complain.

Sometimes the guys just have an off day. This game is far from over too.

61. Mike A. says:

Joba Chamberlain needs to move to the bullpen to preserve quality starts by Joba Chamberlain.

62. Bonos says:

Oakland has run up the white flag on this season. I can take our team getting beaten, I can’t stand stupid or lack of effort.

63. Chip says:

Joba’s gotta be pissed about the lack of run support

64. Chip says:

Battle of the bullpens time, I hope Farns can keep up his hot streak

65. Ivan says:

Well at least Veras didn’t completely blow the game. Shit he’s better than Heilman.

66. Bonos says:

Abreu was the other genius that struck out in the first on a ball out of the strike zone. 3 and 2.

67. Newman says:

Alright, no runners left on base that inning – we’re making progress

68. Yankee1010 says:

Hey, nobody left on base. Progress.

69. Jamal G. says:

Wes Bankston? What the hell did he do?

70. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

At least Melky lined out like a man, and didn’t get a pussy-off-the-end-of-the-bat single.

71. Jamal G. says:

LoL, money talks. The Yankees tried to stop season ticket holders from selling their tickets via StubHub a couple years ago, but now that same StubHub has prime advertisement placement behind home plate.

*Did I hear correctly? Ken Singleton said Kyle Farnsworth’s son is named Stone?

72. Jamal G. says:

Jorge Posada: “Wait, I was bitching about not getting more of this?”

73. Bonos says:

Rule one in baseball is get the run in from third with less than 2 out. Sacrifice the sooner the better. That’s it, that’s all. This is an ongoing thing this year. They should be called out.

74. Mike A. says:

So it turns out that Contract Year Kyle Farnsworth is a pretty good pitcher. Who know?

75. Bonos says:

Two baserunners stranded in every inning (save the last one).

What is there to say.

76. Mike A. says:

Oh look, another guy from Billy Beane’s Island of Misfit Relievers.

77. Cathy says:

Joba was great but once again the Yankees left way too many men on base, no clutch hitting, lousy managing by Girardi. …He saw that Jose Veras could not find home plate so he leaves Veras in to tie up the game. When a pitcher doesn’t have it, take him out – the Yanks have a deep bullpen.

The Yanks will end up losing this game…I agree with Michael Kay – he can’t understand why the Yanks have such trouble beating B-teams like Oakland……

Girardi is a disaster

78. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Alex will go deep. ( I hope)

79. Mike A. says:

Those commercials have finally gotten to me. I really want to try one of those Burger King Steakhouse burgers. Not sure I’ve earned it though…

80. Mike A. says:

Rajai Davis taking quite the lead…

• Yankee1010 says:

He stole that early in the count when everyone knew he was going. Gardner hasn’t really done that.

And offense, this is squarely on your weak-ass shoulders.

• B says:

All they are gonna do is run on Posada because he doesn’t have enough arm strength to throw the out! :(

81. cult of basebaal says:

well, in brett’s defense, he doesn’t get to run against jorge posada’s arm …

• Yankee1010 says:

It wasn’t close with Davis though. Also, Gardner usually attempts it after at least 3 pitches. That’s too late. For all of his speed, he’s not that great a basestealer.

• A.D. says:

Gardners also running with good hitters behind him, he wants to make sure he make it. Davis was put in there to steal the bag

• Yankee1010 says:

It’s not like they’re tearing the cover off the ball lately. Plus, if you’re saying that he shouldn’t be running because of the hitters behind him, that applies throughout the count.

Great stuff, Christian.

• cult of basebaal says:

and it wasn’t close with sweeney either. posada’s awful right now. girardi would have done well to call a pitchout.

82. Mike A. says:

Dumbass. He’s lucky he’s not crippled. Or worse.

83. Jamal G. says:

LoL, that’s three pitches Giambi just missed on.

84. Jamal G. says:

That was a great, great job by Jason Giambi.

85. Mike A. says:

Nice job by the Giambino.

86. A.D. says:

See if Christian looks to steal

87. Mike A. says:

Hopefully they take care of business before Melky comes to the plate…

88. A.D. says:

JEEZ, he would have had that

89. A.D. says:

And Christian would have scored on that….. damn

90. Cy Farnsworth says:

Ugh, Christian scores (from second or first) on that Cano double if he stays on his feet.

At least Robbie is still ripping the cover off the ball.

91. Mike A. says:

And you people got all bend out of shape for nothing.

92. cult of basebaal says:

Robbie’s The RIPPER … when he gets hot, he starts slashing!

93. A.D. says:

WOW, Betemit 0-2, i figured this was over

94. Cy Farnsworth says:

Great opposite field approach by Betemit–let’s play some bonus baseball!

95. zs190 says:

Wow, Betemit comes through with 2 outs, no way

96. A.D. says:

If Melky hits the Game winning double, then I don’t even know what to think

97. Mike A. says:

Brett Gardner baby. Time for another walk-off infield single.

98. Yankee1010 says:

Wow, Betemit. He couldn’t have looked worse on the first 2 pitches. I guess they were waiting until the last second to get a big hit.

99. Jon says:

I’m a little upset that Melky didn’t hit a hard line drive right to the second baseman like a real man.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

He’s such a puss. Ground ball single, sheesh.

• cult of basebaal says:

and i’m happy that melky didn’t hack at the first pitch, worked himself into a hitter’s count 2-0 and took a proper approach in driving a pitch he could handle up the middle. strangely enough, a good approach yielded a good result. who’da thunk?

100. Jamal G. says:

Bunt-single RBI?

101. Cy Farnsworth says:

Gardener didn’t miss that by much. Let’s go Brett!

102. Mike A. says:

Bonus baseball on a lazy Saturday. I’m lovin’ it.

103. Brian says:

Down to Giese and DiNardo…

104. Yankee1010 says:

Street gave Gardner some pitches to hit.

105. A.D. says:

Posada to DH I assume?

106. Mike A. says:

I see Girardi is going to run through everyone in the pen before bringing in the long man.

107. Jake says:

Why not two for Mo?

108. Cy Farnsworth says:

I’ll defend Jorge to my grave, but the difference between Posada and Molina behind the plate really is palpable. The Yankees need to spend all next spring training teaching Jorge how to play first base.

Look at Edwar in trouble now…

• Yankee1010 says:

It’s just his shoulder. If he comes back after surgery and is even close to the old Jorge, he’s the catcher. Molina’s a 0 at the plate.

• Cy Farnsworth says:

One shoulder surgery often doesn’t solve all the problems (certainly not permanently.) The Yankees need Posada to be a competent first baseman so he doesn’t have to catch every day so he doesn’t stress and reinjure his shoulder.

Hopefully surgery solves his throwing problems for next year, but by the end of his contract he won’t be behind the plate. Let’s start preparing for it now.

• LiveFromNewYork says:

I keep saying that people need to stop criticizing Girardi for not playing Jorge at C all the time. Jose is not an every day catcher but his D is tremendous and Jorge is just all around sucking this year. He’s hurt and it’s clear he’s hurt and he’ll be in surgery this winter.

• A.D. says:

Yeah it’ll be about picking and choosing when to catch him, obviously with the A’s not a bad place to start him, they generally don’t run very much, and paired with Joba on the mound, there would be less base runners.

Team like the Angels they’ll have to avoid starting him

109. Mike A. says:

Rajai Davis is the guy the Giants got when they traded Matt Morris and his entire contract to the Pirates.

110. A.D. says:

Edwar got out of it, see if the top of the lineup can get us a run….A-Rod needs to put it in gear today

111. E-ROC says:

Walkoff by Jeter is my prediction.

112. Newman says:

LHP here, this has Dick Sex written all over it

113. LiveFromNewYork says:

lovely weather for extra innings. the crowd must be hating them.

114. Mike A. says:

That was a spicy meatball A-Rod just missed…

115. A.D. says:

Nice, nullifies the DP

116. A.D. says:

big at-bat by Dick Sex

117. Cy Farnsworth says:

Questionable decision there to take the bat out of A-Rod’s hands.

In any case this situation has walk-off written all over it for Sexy.

118. Bill says:

Moments like this remind me of the World Series years. The mid-summer pick up, possibly coming up big to pick up the win. Moments like these are what you look back on in October.

119. A.D. says:

yikes Molina on deck

120. Cy Farnsworth says:

Strikeout for Sexson…big surprise…

121. A.D. says:

Such a pretty change

would love a Cano walk-off

122. Mike A. says:

I shocked Cust didn’t throw out his back on that last pitch. Wow.

123. Bill says:

In Edwar’s last 8 games he’s gone 11 IP, 1 Hit, 15:2 K to BB ratio and no Runs. En Fuego

• LiveFromNewYork says:

He follows Mariano around like a puppy dog which is good. the young hitters should be doing with the older guys.

124. Mike A. says:

Setting Melky up for the walk-off…

125. cult of basebaal says:

Da RIPPER!

126. cult of basebaal says:

c’mon melky, like last time.

127. A.D. says:

17ks is pretty impressive, even with 2 bonus innings

128. A.D. says:

wow, redic catch

129. Bill says:

Web Gem.

130. Cy Farnsworth says:

People will definitely remember Wilson Betemit tying the ballgame, but I hope they don’t overlook that perfect sacrifice bunt he laid down. That speaks volumes to me, because it means that he’s really committed to improving a part of his game that he’s struggled with

131. A.D. says:

game just isn’t going to end

132. Yankee1010 says:

3-18 with RISP. Fun times. I would love for Gardner to succed, but I see an over-matched slap hitter.

133. A.D. says:

he hit that plexiglass pretty hard

134. A.D. says:

If Robertson can’t get his curve over, than this game is probably over

135. Mike A. says:

Robertson’s velocity was down working his second day in a row.

136. A.D. says:

I can’t say I get the Emil Brown decision on the A’s part

137. LiveFromNewYork says:

Whenever I see Mussina on the bench on days like this I think he has Cartman’s voice in his head going “goddamit.”

138. A.D. says:

Definitley safe

139. Mike A. says:

Let’s do this Dick Lock…

140. A.D. says:

Jose Molina game winning sac fly?

141. Yankee1010 says:

Oh, Jose let that hit you.

142. Mike A. says:

Hah. Walk-off HBP.

143. A.D. says:

Way to get in the way, WALK OFF MOLINA

144. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Down Bobby, down Bobby.

145. Bill says:

Gotta figure that’ll be the only way Jose Molina will ever get a walk off.

146. E-ROC says:

Getting a win by any means necessary….

147. A.D. says:

Pettite for the sweep tomorrow

148. LiveFromNewYork says:

Sometimes a win is exciting (yesterday)

Sometimes a win is somewhat disturbing in a WTF way (today)

149. A.D. says:

Vlad just cut the Sox lead in half

150. Babe's Ghost says:

Check out the replay of Gonzalez’s catch on gameday… at 36 sec a raven flies across his image. Foreshadowing Gardner’s great catch to rob him and the A’s loss.

Quoth the Raven, “THEEEEEE YANKEEEEEEES WIN!!!!!”

151. Todd says:

If Cano keeps hitting the way he is supposed to, it is like trading for a bat. He is the impact bat we need. Oh, and Posada’s defense impacts games–in a negative way!

152. Kelvin says:

Homer-RBI by JoMo wins the game!!! well, at least we did win. :)

153. LiveFromNewYork says:

Was Molina a great pick up or what?

154. A.D. says:

Angles just took a 2 run lead on the Sox….be nice to pick up another game on them

155. Jamal G. says:

Jason Varitek up in a high leverage situation, awesome.