Jul

Game 91: Watching on Gameday will make this less painful

Ah, Gameday and its passive interface. You can just minimize the window and go about your regular work, and come back to see what’s happened while you were gone. Hey, it’s not like you’re leaving your cubicle anytime soon, right? Surely it’s better than watching on TV, or, God forbid, stuck in the Stadium for today’s start by Sidney Ponson.

Some people apparently think something’s up with Molina catching again today and Posada DHing. To me, it’s actually a smart move on Girardi’s part (one paragraph after I bemoan him). Why let Jorge and his hurt shoulder sit behind the plate and let the Rays set the record for most steals in a game? At least Molina keeps ‘em honest on the basepaths. Plus, and I know this is a subjective statement, I feel that he calls a far better game than Jorge. This isn’t just a recent thing; I’ve long disliked Jorge’s gameplans.

Happy commenting today. And now, onto your lineup:

1. Brett Gardner, LF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Bobby Abreu, RF
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Jason Giambi, 1B
6. Jorge Posada, DH
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Melky Cabrera, CF
9. Jose Molina, C

Categories : Game Threads

1. dan says:

Did the dog eat Joe’s homework too?

2. mg says:

God Joe, just pay your Fios bill already. hehehe

3. Ben K. says:

Jeter’s not running well. I wonder what’s up.

Also, John and Suzyn have never looked better than they do with the ‘staches.

4. Jamal G. says:

Minny has an early 3-0 lead against Josh Becket and the Red Sox. Let’s see if they can actually hold a lead this time.

5. Dylan says:

Hey guys, sorry if this is off-topic but I thought you guys may be able to help me out. I have tickets to All-Star Sunday, the Futures Game followed by the Celebrity Softball game. I am going with my dad, who is a smoker, and am worried he’s gonna need a cigarette or two between games or sometime during the afternoon. I don’t know if Yankee Stadium allows for exiting and reentry, or if they have designated smoking areas or someplace he can have one? Thanks for any help you can provide, I don’t want to have to blow off the Celebrity Softball Game if I feel like staying to watch it. Thanks again.
    -Dylan

• Casper says:

I just quit a couple of months ago but I feel your dad’s pain. No smoking in the Stadium, no re-entry. You can try in the walkways between the different levels, but if you get caught you get tossed.

• A.D. says:

Friends of mine left a couple years ago, not knowing about the re-entry policy…luckily the Yankee security walked away and they walked back in….probably will be tighter for the ASG

• michelle says:

you can attempt to smoke on the ramps between levels if you get a good hidden spot youll be perfect.. avoid the escalator area (got kicked out for trying that one).. but my dad is also a smoker and he swears sneaking cigs in the bathroom is the only way.. i know the ladies room ALWAYS has a security chick screaming about not smoking in the bathroom but like i said he swears by it.. if you have bleacher seats its pretty much impossible to smoke anywhere

6. Casper says:

If anyone has posted this already I apologize, just figured I’d toss it up here since it’s Mustache Day. I don’t think I’ll ever stop finding this funny.

7. Will says:

The Rays announcers have spent the last five minutes talking about the “ice cream barrel” in the Yankee clubhouse and how John Sterling and Susan Waldman have supposedly been double-dipping in it. I think I might have to tear my ears off.

8. Jamal G. says:

Four base-runners in two innings thus far for Sidney Ponson.

• TurnTwo says:

there is no way Girardi and Cashman can continue to run him out there as a starter in this rotation going forward at this pace… he flirts with fire way too much.

9. SP says:

Yikes, how do you load the bases and get three outs on 15 pitches? TB must be hacking away today.

10. jboogz says:

I noticed Jeets not running well last night as well. On the play where he didn’t get thrown out at home he looked like he could barely pick himself up off the ground after his slide. He did the old man, let me roll over and do a half pushup and try and get up. I wonder if he just got tore up on Monday out in the club celebrating the downfall of Arod’s marriage. That’s a crazy tandem to be traveling the country and out on the prowl.

SUPPORT THE ‘STACHE

11. Jamal G. says:

Have to like the first pitch strikes you are seeing from Sidney Ponson.

12. A.D. says:

Gardner is getting hurt with these K’s on balls out of the zone, damn being a rookie

13. Casper says:

Check out Pete Abe’s 12:43 update (the part where he talks about Torre). He does realize the Dodgers are 44-46, right?

14. mustang says:

What’s wrong with Ponson ?

15. Jamal G. says:

2-1 count, most likely running here.

16. steve (different one) says:

who do you guys think should be starting in Ponson’s place?

serious question? Giese?

• TurnTwo says:

(someone not currently on the roster)

• steve (different one) says:

you mean a trade?

that is a perfectly reasonable answer, but it’s hard to say Girardi is proving he isn’t right for the job b/c he didn’t start a pitcher he doesn’t have on his roster.

seriously. Giese? Igawa? Karstens?

everyone here wanted Karstens so badly until he got shelled in AAA the other night.

• TurnTwo says:

yeah, trade. i just dont have much faith in Karstens, and i dont think McCutcheon is going to be any real answer.

doesnt even have to be Bedard, just someone who can provide league average or better innings, and a string of consecutive quality starts.

• tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Good point. I find it hard to fault Girardi for running Ponson out there… what alternative does he have? Until Wang, Hughes, Kennedy, Horne, or Pavano get healthy, all we have are Rasner, Karstens, Ponson, and Giese, and of those 4, Ponson is actually performing the best right now.

Blame Cash if you absolutely must blame someone.

• mustang says:

Bedard.
      LOL

17. Max says:

I’d have no problem with McCutchen filling the Ponson role, but I think Cashman and the front office may be worried that bringing up young guys too early stunts their growth. (i.e. Hughes, IPK). In my mind at least McCutchen has upside, with Ponson we’re just waiting to see when he’ll implode in any given start.

• Pete says:

Certainly not until we’re mathematically out of it, anyway. Problem is the Yankees have been in the race every year since the middle of the Clinton administration.

• mustang says:

Almost everyone that has done well in AAA has come up this year I don’t think they are worried about stunting anyone growth. Plus McCutchen is 26 is growth is stunt already at least according to this site.
      LOL

18. Jamal G. says:

Max Kellerman made a great point yesterday, “there are college freshman who have no memory of a Yankee team not in the postseason”. That is who I am and it’s so true, that’s unbelievable.

19. Jamal G. says:

Me thinks that 2007 campaign has made Carlos Pena just a tad to aggressive, just a tad. ;)

20. Jamal G. says:

See what happens when you don’t get an unbelievable jump Mr. Upton? You get thrown the fuck out, that’s what happens!

21. ansky says:

ah Molina.

Jorge would have merely stared down at second while Upton ended up with a standing steal.

22. mustang says:

Can we give Molina a cool name like ” The gun ” or something i think he is earned it.

23. mustang says:

DOUBLE !!!!

24. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Something must be wrong with my computer. I see on Gameday that Brett Gardner reached on an infield single, and yet for some inexplicable reason he’s still standing on first, he hasn’t stolen second yet. This does not compute, please explain.

25. LiveFromNewYork says:

Gardner is a moving along

26. LiveFromNewYork says:

Alex Alex Alex

27. Chip says:

Steal home Gardner!

28. mustang says:

Can someone please tell me why he did not swing at the first 3 to 2 pitch ?

29. sean says:

i love a-rod
    but how many times is the greatest player in the game going to go down swinging on a 3-2 fastball

30. Chip says:

Reasons why Gardner will be better than Melky, the last hit. Routine outs just don’t happen when he puts it on the ground just look at the bunt last night (which Melky proceeded to screw up by striking out)

31. Yankee1010 says:

I read something interesting either today or yesterday about a scout saying that Gardner does not steal early enough in counts or innings. I’ve noticed the same thing in the few chances he’s been on base. Yes, he stole 2nd when Abreu was up. However, it would have been a lot nicer to steal 2nd when Jeter was up so that Jeter could have moved him to 3rd, Abreu possibly had a productive out, etc.

• TheLastClown says:

Jeter swung @ ball 3 when Gardner was going, he would’ve made it if Jete didn’t expand the zone

• Chip says:

I would imagine he takes the steal signal from the third base coach. Maybe Girardi didn’t want to take the chance of running them out of the inning and only felt the risk was necessary once Bobby came up. I doubt he runs on his own being a rookie and all

• Yankee1010 says:

I can understand not wanting to run themselves out of an inning. But it’s not like the offense is blistering the ball today, or recently. The great basestealers are the ones who can steal 2nd when everyone in the place knows they’re going. I’m not sure Gardner is that kind of guy. And this isn’t just based on his limited major league experience. It seems like this was the case in the minors too.

Don’t get me wrong, I think he can provide a much-needed speed element. I just wish it would be used a little more effectively.

• Jamal G. says:

He’s young, things like that will come with good ol’ fashion experience.

32. TheLastClown says:

Time to yank Sir Sidney

33. Hybrid Moments says:

Why wasn’t Gardner stealing with Jeter at the plate and no out? Especially since Jeter is fond of double plays.

34. Steve says:

Molina is like Varitek, but with a good arm. Where’s his All-Star invite?

• tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

He’s not an all star, for the following four reasons:

1) He plays for the Yankees.
      2) He’s not gritty or gutty (see also: #1)
      3) He doesn’t have a red-colored “C” on his chest, which is awarded by the Pope himself and symbolizes that you are the greatest player in baseball, statistics be damned.
      4) He doesn’t look like David Faustino.

35. Chip says:

Bender on the corner from Veras, that’s just wrong

36. Chip says:

I think we might have a Farnsworth sighting in this game

37. yanks99 says:

good call on not wanting to start ponson by the way…

38. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Here comes Melky’s 9th homer on the year…

39. TheLastClown says:

BG hasn’t looked like he’s particularly comfortable on the breaking balls, specially borderlines

40. Chip says:

Well so much for the rookie sensation

• Jamal G. says:

If he’s a veteran he would be getting those calls. Sure you could complain that he should be a bit more aggressive on borderline pitches but would you really want him to start doing something other than what got him to the Major Leagues?

41. Chip says:

Well there goes the Captain, called out on ball 4

42. batty says:

Whoa – Abreu made a leaping catch near the wall! I think hell just froze a little bit…

43. TheLastClown says:

Heart jumps into throat….thank you Bobby!

44. Yankee1010 says:

Was that Abreu making a catch within 15 feet of a wall? I guess they just finished defrosting Hell.

45. mustang says:

WOW… he closed his eyes on that one.
    LOL
    Farnsworth shots me down not bad.

46. TheLastClown says:

why did robbie look like he was bunting 3rd base side?

47. mustang says:

Hit please !!!

48. mustang says:

Mo…The Master goes on !!!

49. Ivan says:

Rivera is K’s batters like it’s 1996.

50. tommiesmithjohncarlos says:

Jeter sucks. That game winning run scored from first was so overrated.

51. Steve says:

OK, I don’t even care about the All Star game. But after that performance, I’m logging in the the Yankee website to “SUPPORT THE STACHE!!!!!!!”

52. Jamal G. says:

Check Joe Girardi out with the ‘stache in the post-game interview.

53. mustang says:

Talk about a statement win this team still has the heart of a champion. They are telling their GM we can still win this thing just go and get us the help we need. I hope that Mr. Cashman can see how hard this team wants to win in 2008 injured and still battling the best in the MLB.

• Whitey14 says:

Another solid starter, continued performance from Mussina, continued improvement from Cano, healthy returns of Damon and Matsui and this thing could get real interesting, real quick.

• mustang says:

A right-handed bat and a lefty reliever would not be bad either. There is a lot on the trade market I just hope we are players there is no reason we should be.

• mustang says:

A right-handed bat and a lefty reliever would not be bad either. There is a lot on the trade market I just hope we are players there is no reason we shouldn’t be.

54. raymagnetic ®™ says:

“You know, I’m not even exaggerating. In no way does Ponson deserve to be pitching this game. They hired him for exactly one reason, and that was to pitch one game of the doubleheader against the Mets. He succeeded, and should have been shown the door immediately afterwards, so we could get a relief pitcher in his place. “Thanks, Sid, you did great. Now get out of here before you go and lose us a game.”

Unfortunately, the Chien-Ming Wang injury looms large here, and has the Yankees searching for a capable arm to keep the team in games this summer. Ponson that is not. From what Girardi is saying, even if he blows the game we might see him again. Which is wholly discouraging. It’s just another decision that has me questioning whether Girardi is really the right guy for the job. To date, he’s done little to impress, and a whole lot to prove that he’s no different from any other manager in the game.”

Joseph P.

How silly does everything you wrote above sound right now?

55. AlexWest says:

If you’re upset with the way Joe Girardi has managed the Yankee’s this season then you’re not paying attention, to be at this point where they are now depite all the injuries (including losing 3starting pitchers, and just about every regular for some point of the season) is pretty good. If Tampa wasnt doing so well this year people would be lauding Giraradi for keeping us as front runners in the WC and within striking distance of Boston despite all the injuries. Right now Ponson is the best option he has, McCutchen would be a horrible idea if you want us to stay in the race (he has averaged about a 5 game adjustment period throughout his minor league career with each promotion, the Yankee’s cannot absorb that and stay in the race). Maybe when Aceves is healthy and has had a few AAA starts under his belt he would be a better option (though he may end up replacing Rasner as he has been shakier then Ponson of late), For the time being Girardi is doing the best job with what he has to work with.