Jul

Hall of Fame Day

This afternoon, a few big figures in the history of New York baseball will find their ways into the Hall of Fame. Walter O’Malley, the scourge of Brooklyn, will earn his Cooperstown plaque today, and Richard Sandomir writes about the connection between O’Malley and new inductee and former Commissioner Bowie Kuhn. Many New Yorkers still resent O’Malley’s role in moving the Dodgers out of Brooklyn. Outside of New York, some columnists feel that Goose Gossage doesn’t deserve a place in the Hall. And Chris Lamb writes about how a racial slur in the late 1930s may have set baseball on a path toward history.

Categories : Asides

1. Jamal G. says:

You know what makes that Jake Powell story so messed up, there were pieces of shit like that by the hundreds in every city in this country at that time.

• Chris says:

I think what makes that article so messed up is that he never offers up a reason why Goose shouldn’t be in the hall. He mentions that two of the home runs Goose gave up are very famous, but those two home runs don’t define his career.

• Ivan says:

Plus, he brings up the Pine Tar Game which made little sense. For starters the game was just another regular season game, holding little at stake, and the game gets pub up because of the rivalry between yanks and Royals and the George circus act. So that was low on his part.

Plus, how about the one game playoff that Goose save and got Yaz out for the last out when he was in the jam in bot of the 9th. But hey he’s probably some purist

• Andy In Sunny Daytona Beach says:

I’m so glad that I am living in THIS generation.

2. Jamal G. says:

I was born in 1989 so I have no recollection of Rich “Goose” Gossage, but was he always this much of a dick:

“I can’t say Mariano’s the best because he’s a one-inning pitcher, basically. No one did the job better than me.”

“I used to come into situations in the seventh inning that God couldn’t get out of and I got out of them. There’s nothing better than a power pitcher that can come in and get two strikeouts in a huge situation and then have to pitch the eighth and ninth inning as well.”

• Ivan says:

Well that’s typical Goose. Hey he’s right, Closers jobs are different now than when he pitch.

That said, I still think Mo is the greatest closer ever. Does he have a point that yeah closers in his era had it different than Today’s closers yes. Yet in today’s era where hitters are stronger, Ballparks are smaller and with the steriods scandals, the way Rivera has pitch is quite amazing.

Nevertheless, Goose is a HOF. Shit if Sutter went in, then why not Goose who was better than he was.

My top three Closers are Mo, Fingers and Goose.

3. Ivan says:

One more thing, that article talking about how goose came up short i big spots, I totally disagree with.

Goose made his share of big outs in his career like the Bucky Dent game.

• Steve says:

That was cherry picking. He closed tons of big games as well and has 2 WS rings to show for it.

But he’s not a HOFer in my book either way. Thats just a bad argument.

4. Steve says:

If I had a vote, I wouldn’t have voted him in and I’m a huge Yankees fan. Or Sutter, for that matter. The most hollow argument to me is “how many innings he pitched” as his big qualification. He threw about 1800 innings over the course of his career.

Really? Funny, that same argument is used AGAINST guys like David Cone, Bret Saberhagen, Orel Hershiser and others. That they didn’t “do enough” to qualify. Because one guy was a starter and the other was a reliever. Meanwhile, Coney pitched 2898 innings, Hershiser pitched 3130 innings and Saberhagen pitched 2562 innings.

Aren’t innings just innings? Why do some seem to count more than others?

Somebody has to convince me that the 8th and 9th innings are somehow more important than 1-7. I’ve yet to read anything in the rulebook or observe how the game is played that has convinced me that is the case. I have seen stats showing that the vast majority of games are closed no matter who is doing the job. Personally, I think its mostly perception on the part of fans. The drama of the final inning, it seems more important than getting out of a jam in the 5th. Its not. You can decide a game just as easily in either case.

Thats not to say I think Cone, Orel, etc should be in the HOF. Quite the contrary, I think NONE of them belong.

• GoYankees says:

It’s much more than stats, guys. Goose defined relief pitching for years. He was a presence that changed the way he game is played. Once it was 130 pitches and 9 innings, then it became 7+ innings with people like Luis Arroyo in 61 (who the hell was he? right?) and Goose. Now its 6 quality innings then 1+1+1.

Goose came in, threw one high four-seamer after another, up the ladder. He dared major league sluggers to hit it, and he won most of the time. It was like a shootout at high noon for each pitch. When you watch the George Brett clips, you are looking at one of the greatest high fastball hitters of all time against one of the greatest high fastball pitchers of all time. One pitch after another.

5. Steve says:

Sorry to go off topic, but check out this article from Pittsburgh.

Goes behind the scenes to explain how the Marte/Nady trade went down. Lots of good quotes from both GMs about what they were thinking.

6. Realist says:

Goose deserves the HOF…anyone who says not never saw him play or is completely ignorant to what he achieved….