Jul

Manny-gate, Part 17

On July 6th with the Red Sox and Yanks locked in a game that would eventually be decided by a Brett Gardner infield single, Manny Ramirez came up to pinch hit in the top of the 9th. With the winning run on base, Ramirez had the unenviable task of facing Mariano Rivera. Manny took three pitches, all for strikes, and walked back to the dugout.

At the time, we were in awe of Mariano. He is having a season for the history books, and that strike out of Ramirez was indicative of his success. But what if Manny helped him along a bit? In a post on the Extra Bases blog today, Boston Globe writer Steve Silva writes about a conflict between Manny and the Red Sox. Apparently, Bob Lobel, the former sports director of the Boston-based WBZ, while reporting on the six-figure fine Ramirez received for shoving Jack McCormick, had some choice words to say this morning. Silva reports:

[Lobel] went on to allege that there was a perception that in a pinch-hit at bat at Yankee Stadium on July 6 — more than a week after the incident with McCormick — Ramirez took three straight called strikes to send a message to the Sox.

“The thing that most people are forgetting and haven’t talked about is the strikeout in Yankee Stadium,” Lobel said. “The bat on the shoulder for the three pitches from Mariano Rivera. That was a big [expletive] to the Red Sox after the fine. I’m just telling you … there are things in the front office that are perceived … I’m saying that there is a strong feeling that that [three-pitch strikeout] was the message to the Red Sox and it’s a strong feeling that that’s unacceptable … there’s a feeling that he didn’t give it his all, let’s put it that way … I’m just saying the front office has not forgotten that moment. It’s akin to Nomar sitting on the bench. It’s the same thing. It’s an at bat that resonated very strongly in the front office.”

For us, this shouldn’t take away from the accomplishments of Mariano Rivera. If the Red Sox want to make “Manny being Manny” excuses, let them. Mo is Mo every time he pitches this year.

But from a player personnel perspective, this could get interesting. In 2004, Theo Epstein drew the ire of Boston sports fans by trading away the popular Nomar Garciaparra. While I doubt he would do the same with Manny Ramirez this year, the Sox and Manny have a contract to negotiate, and incidents such as this one and another involving the Front Office won’t endear Manny to the Sox.

So here’s something to muse: With the Yanks’ outfield in a state of flux and Manny seemingly on the outs with the Red Sox ownership, how would you feel about Manny in pinstripes for a season or two? The temptation will be very, very strong among the Steinbrenner family if Manny hits free agency in November.

Categories : News

1. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Got to cut that hair, mister.

2. Sean says:

i’d take a team of richie sexons and IPKs before one manny

• “i’d take a team of richie sexons and IPKs before one manny.”

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. Thank Mariano you’re not employed by the Yankees in any capacity. I love IPK for his potential and I’ve advocated hard for adding Sexson, but neither of them are in Manny’s area code.

Manny Ramirez is, without question, one of the top 25 hitters in the history of the entire game, and one of the top 10 righty hitters ever. Last year, at 35, he had by far the worst year of his career and still posted an OPS+ of 126, which would have made him the third most productive Yankee (behind only the MVP season of PlayRod and the career year of Posada.) Before last year, you had to go back to his 22 year old sophomore campaign of 1994 to find a year where he posted an OPS+ below 144… that’s twelve straight years of being an MVP-caliber run producer. And this year, he’s bounced back.

Sure, he’s a stupid jagoff who likes to pick fights with defenseless sexagenarians and girl scouts, and sure, he’s often the target of our ire since he was clearly raised by wolves and has no sense of decorum, logic, or mathematics, but HE HITS THE SHIT OUT OF THE BALL. We don’t have many people who do that anymore.

And, taking Manny out of that lineup would be a damn mortal wound to the Sox. I’ll gladly hand them the 21st pick in the draft and let them have a sandwich in exchange for taking 300 total bases out of the heart of their lineup and putting it in ours.

Sign me up.

• Sean says:

i get it
        we all understand how great he is
        whats wrong with not wanting a player based on his personality
        lets sign bonds while we’re at it

• Ben K. says:

Comparing Ramirez’s goofball personality to Bonds’ controversial persona doesn’t make sense. Many Yankee fans don’t want Manny because of the visceral reaction we have to him after seeing him beat us up for 15 years while on the Indians and Red Sox. That’s just an emotional response. His antics have little to do with the fact that he’s one of the best pure hitters of the last 40 years.

• Sean says:

i still dont get the argument of writing off manny as a ‘goofball personality’
            he assaulted team personnel
            he shows deliberate disrespect for everyone around him
            he crossed the line of “manny being manny” a while back
            i would consider him a ‘controversial persona’ just like bonds (sure, not on the same level) just like i would compare Chad Johnson and T.O. – both guys who teams second guess before pursuing
            just because i wouldnt want the team to buy high on another future hall of famer late in his prime who is controversial doesn’t mean i’m wrong.
            more home runs, RBIs – sure
            get me a solid 4 in a rotation and this team is fine without him

• JT says:

How can you hate the goofball that is Manny. Just go back and look at the great manny being manny outtakes and you cant not want him on your team.

• Double-J says:

I’d sign Bonds if it improved the team. New York is a circus anyways, I’d rather have another World Series title than not make the playoffs on some perverted sense of character…this is the team that has taken back guys like Sidney Ponson. So I don’t want to hear about not picking up guys like Bonds or Manny, legitimate difference makers, simply because of some fictitious honor code.

• For the record, I’ve got zero problems with taking a flyer on Bonds. I want to win.

This is not a Ms. Congeniality competition. Championship trophy plaques and Hall of Fames the world over are packed with assholes, narcissists, blockheads and social misfits. In the end, it doesn’t matter… time passes and people change and are forgotten, but history and titles endure.

• Count Zero says:

I’d sign both of them, sandwich A-Rod between them, call them the three stooges and score 1100 freakin’ runs is what I would do.

I don’t care if they beat Peter Gammons over the head with a baseball hat when he enters the clubhouse or if 500 negative articles about them appear in the paper every day — watching pitchers cry like babies when they see those guys coming to the plate in order would be worth the price of admission.

Manny is likely the best pure hitter of our lifetime. His only weakness is fastballs up out of the strike zone and he absolutely crushes mistakes. Mattingly in his prime is the only guy I can recall crushing mistakes the way Manny does. You throw Manny a hanger and you can actually see his eyes getting bigger and bigger as he prepares to tater it. :-)

The Red Sox will pick up his option…count on it.

• mustang says:

Manny and Bonds are to different animals. As much as I hate Manny I could deal with him being a Yankee. No way on this earth could I cheer for Bonds I put what he has done to baseball right up there with the Black Sox scandal and Pete Rose.
      In a lot ways I think Manny is a product of the environment he is in I mean if Red Sox management checked him on some of his shit maybe he would be such a asshole. Bonds is product of his selfishness, ego and total disrespect for the game. The only thing that can help him is some jail time maybe.

3. sam says:

The follow up question is whether or not he would adhere it the grooming rules… and would he balk at the shave and a haircut?

Personally I am tired of this “Manny being Manny” stuff and though I would welcome his big bat and the chance to have him stick it to the Sox, I am not sure if I would enjoy his antics (I have always found the A-Rod circus unappealing).

4. ChrisS says:

No. The Yankees don’t need another aging hitter with shoddy defense to a fix a team with aging hitters with shoddy defense. The guy’s got a sick bat, but the defense and the attitude doesn’t work for me. And, at 36, the rapid decline could appear at anytime. His SLG is slipping and he’s been injured off and on the last couple of years.

As for the Nomar trade, Theo may have drawn the ire of Boston sports fans, but he made the right move.

• His “slipping” slugging of .518 would be third on our team, behind ARod and the Giambino. Nobody else on the team is slugging above .470 (Damon, who’s hurt.)

• ChrisS says:

And how much are you willing to pay for that .518? Because he’s going to ask to be paid like he’s still 28 and slugging .600. Cashman will have to wager serious coin (4 years $80-100 mill?) in hopes that he doesn’t tank … like the most of Cashman’s free agent signings and big time acquisitions.

Buy low, sell high; past indicators of success are no guarantee of future performance.

Especially for 36 year old hitters, no matter how much success they had at 22-35. We had a surly RFer with odd personality traits that could absolutely crush baseballs a few years ago. He spent his 35 & 36 season hitting almost as well as he ever had. The next season he was hurt and then he threw a fit and was gone. He preceded to have another decent season, and then he was hurt (again) and has since stumbled around trying to regain his former glory as one of the best RH hitters of his generation.

• Sheff was never as good or as pure a hitter as Manny, and his swing was much more violent and forced his injuries as much as anything. And we’d be acquiring a Manny in better shape and with less of an injury history as Sheff when we got him (even though Sheff was two years younger)

I doubt we’d have to go 4 years for Manny… 3 tops. But I’d be less concerned about Manny failing to stay healthy and productive for his 37-38-39 years than I was about Sheff’s 35-36-37-38 years…

And yes, past indicators of success are no guarantee. This isn’t about a guarantee, it’s about a probability and it occurs in realtime and not a vacuum. We need quality OF bats and Manny would be the best option to hit the market; he’d help us and hurt our competitors.

5. godfather says:

the manny situation becomes interesting, but let’s not forget the mets’ interest in him, too, if the occasion arises…the hair is filthy looking no matter where he plays…as an nyy fan, i care neither way and have rooted for anyone wearing the uni over the years while they wore it…and there have been some real jerks

6. Double-J says:

Manny in pinstripes?

There aren’t enough ways for me to say YES.

Finally, we could have a proper 3-4 punch with Manny and A-Rod, instead of wet noodle Abreu. That would be absolutely killer.

7. Travis G. says:

i wouldn’t be totally averse. who else is going to man RF next year? the 109 OPS+ Abreu or the 137 OPS+ Manny? neither can play D so what’s the difference?

and unlike Bonds, he (probably) didn’t juice. (although the last 2-3 years have shown a pretty marked decline in effectiveness and health – ortiz too, hmmmm….)

ok, maybe Dunn is a better option.

8. daneptizl says:

I’m just mad we didn’t get Manny back when he was put on waivers….. But would Manny even cost our 1st rounder if we signed Sabathia?

9. zack says:

The only argument you can justifiably make against signing Manny would be the “he’s aging and doesn’t play the field well and the Yanks already have that.” The attitude arguments are a joke. Manny and his “attitude” haven’t exactly hurt the Sox in winning two WS titles as he puts up MVP #s every year. There is simply no way for the Sox to replace Manny, and that lineup is entirely different without him.

As for the aging/bad defense argument, well, Damon can play right field most likely, right? I see nothing whatsoever wrong with having an OF of Manny in LF/DH, Damon in RF, Melky/Gardner CF, and Matsui, if recovered, splitting time with Manny at LF/DH.

Remember, next year Abreu and Giambi will be gone, thereby clearing up that whole DH problem…

• Ben K. says:

The big wild card in all of this is, of course, Manny’s contract demands. He’ll probably want more years than any team is willing to give him.

• If we offered Manny, say, 2 years and 50M, you don’t think he’d do that?

I don’t see the Sox going over that 25M per number for Manny, after all the water under their bridge.

• Count Zero says:

Unless I’m mistaken, the Red Sox have an option for $20MM at the end of this season and another at the end of 2009. I highly doubt they would fail to exercise it this year.

• Travis G. says:

i dont think the sawx would even do $15 mil/year. i wouldnt put Damon in RF, he’s got an arm weaker than Manny’s. plus Damon’s got speed which allows him to roam the Stadium’s spacious LF. put Manny in RF where the coziness will hide his ineffectiveness.

ideally it would be $15-20 mil for 09 with multiple options.

10. Byron says:

manny’s D has always been underrated; the way he’s played the wall in fenway is definitely overlooked. at the end of the day though, i would love to have him as a DH. The combination of adding his bat to our lineup and taking it from the red sox makes it very hard to say no too (a lot more so than the time we took damon from them).
    plus he’s FROM washington heights! he should’ve been in pinstripes years ago!

11. dan says:

He’s on his way down. Yes he’s slugging .518 this year, but that’s not as good as a few years ago. It would be good revenge, but not a good baseball move in my opinion.

12. RCK says:

Hell, yeah, I’ll take Manny! He scores runs for the Yankees, I’ll cheer for him.

13. steve (different one) says:

IF the Yankees had a opening at DH (that means Giambi and Matsui are gone) then yes.

i could get past his personality.

however, just seeing him not in Boston would probably be enough to make me happy.

• Old Ranger says:

This, I like.
      Have him anywhere other then Boston, sounds good to me! As a Yankee…only as a DH. The problem with having him as a DH is; would he accept the DH role, cut his hair and shave? I think not. Let him go to the Muts. 27/08??

14. Tim says:

Ouch this is a question of integrity. If it were pure numbers, I’d say yes in a heartbeat. And I’m not against former massholes donning the pinstripes. But Manny is SUCH a cancerous player. At least A-Rod seems concerned about his play, even if it is to satisfy his own ego. I don’t know if I can handle singles that should have been doubles or even triples if only Manny ran out of the box instead of standing there and taking a picture. Plus he defensively brings nothing special to the table.

There are certain Red Sox I could get behind. Papi. Youk. But Manny falls into the catergory with Papelbon of players I’d never want to root for. That being said, I never boo’ed a Yank at a game and I don’t suspect I ever will.

• daneptizl says:

Manny’s baserunning blunders would certainly be annoying, but the thing is that he is good enough to set himself up for that to be an option, unlike Melky…..

• I think losing, underperforming, and struggling is a much bigger “clubhouse cancer” than any one person.

Unless he’s pulling knives on his teammates and screwing their wives, I guarantee the Yanks would welcome him with open arms. Most of the “Manny is a cancer” talk comes from managment, not his teammates.

Players like to play with good players who help them win. It’s that simple.

But thank you for at least not being one of the idiot Yankee fans who boo Yankee players…

• Old Ranger says:

Debatable statement, I will not disagree with it…but I have seen it adversely affect a team many, many times.
        Realistically, Manny will be 36/37 next year, the proclivity for underachievement is there. So, one could say; his cancer plus diminished ability may exacerbate the cancer of his personality. True? No deal for the Yanks, let him go elsewhere, please. 27/08??

15. raymagnetic ®™ says:

I posted this on Pete Abe’s thread earlier but there’s only one real way he can get back at the Boston front office if they don’t pick up his option. Sign with the NY Yankees.

The love he would get from the crowd being that he’s a native New Yorker would be insane.

I however don’t want him to play the field. He can be the DH and play the occasional outfield.

• If Manny were to come free and sign with us, we’d definitely not be picking up Abreu’s option… so unless we’re adding another outfielder via a trade or free agency (doubtful) we’d need to fill the 3 OF spots with the Melky/Gardner/Damon/Matsui combo again.

Manny would probably go to right. But realistically speaking, he’s no better or worse defensively than any of the other corner outfielders we’ve got, and he’s probably healthier than Damon and Matsui.

• raymagnetic ®™ says:

I do think they’ll try to trade Damon or Matsui this year. Probably Damon being that he’s healthier. Guess you still need two outfielders if you do that so yeah Manny in RF would probably be a better fit than DH on this team.

Bottom line though, I’d still take him if I could get him.

16. CountryClub says:

I am a die hard and i mean die hard Yankees fan. Manny is one of the greatest right handed hitters I’ve ever seen (I’m 35). And I feel completely comfortable saying that I would stop watching the Yankees until his time with them was up. The guy is just an absolute idiot. Add the Red Sox into the equation and I just couldnt handle him being on the team. This would be 100 times worse than Clemens or Boggs coming over.

• daneptizl says:

I’m also a Yankee fan with as much fervor, but I would certainly be more excited to see him than seeing Melky.

• “I am a die hard ______ fan and I’d totally stop watching my beloved _______ if they were to ever sign that jerkface ______ because of blah blah blah…”

Good god, I’m tired of that drivel from all these “diehard” fans of this and that. Fine, go away, go watch badminton, we don’t need you. I know you sat on your grandpa’s lap and watched your Favorite Player X hustle and scrap like a true Yankee, back when the game was pure and men were men and all that shit, and dear old grandad would just roll over in his grave if the Yanks were to ever sign this new soul-eating, baby murdering so-and-so that Mike and the Mad Dog have told you you’re supposed to hate, and so you’re putting the team on notice like you’re freaking Steven Colbert.

The Yankee Universe will survive just fine without your precious diehard fandom. It’ll be more room at the Stadium for me an my friends to watch Manny hit moonshots off of Dice-K.

STFU.

• OMG says:

Ok so Manny utterly kills the Yankees.. and yeah he plays for the Red Sox.. but can signing manny be worse than Clemens or Boggs. For one thing, he doesnt really like the Red Sox organization. Secondly, he is such a clown, how can you not like him. And third, my gf just walked out of the bathroom naked so i lost my thought process. Seeya!

17. jsbrendog says:

manny ramirez = albert belle + skill – beating up fans

18. deadrody says:

Not only yes, but HELL yes. I don’t know what it takes to make Manny happy, but whatever it is DO IT. He shows virtually no sign of slowing down and is one of the best, most clutch hitters I have ever watched. There is no question whatsoever that he is an upgrade over anyone in the current Yankee outfield – Abreu, Cabrera, Damon, Matsui, you name it.

19. Jamal G. says:

Not worth the loss of a number one pick in the 2009 draft. If he were to be miraculously named a Type B Free Agent then sign me the fuck up.

• raymagnetic ®™ says:

If they do not pick up his option they aren’t going to offer him arbitration. He just might accept. Wouldn’t that be defeating the purpose of not picking up his option in the first place?

• daneptizl says:

There’s no way he won’t be an A. But the thing is, if we sign Sabathia, does he get the first rounder over Manny?

• I know picks are important and all, but you really don’t think taking Manny out of their lineup and putting him in ours is worth passing on the chance to take a guy that’ probably got a, say, 25 percent chance at best of becoming a successful major leaguer, much less a middle of the order bat?

I’d say the odds that Manny remains a productive offensive force, even into his early 40′s, are higher than the odds that any 2009 draft pick outside of the top 10 approaches his offensive floor.

• Old Ranger says:

We already have a DH for next year (Jorge/Matsui) we don’t need another one. As an OF, Manny sucks…as a hitter, he has been one of the best. But will that continue for 3-5 years? Maybe, maybe not, he has had injury problems lately. Let him go elsewhere!

20. deadrody says:

I would also add that while I have jabbed Sox fans over Manny’s issues over the years, I have always felt that his negatives were VASTLY overblown. He is actually a pretty decent leftfielder, especially playing off the monster. And frankly, the Sox are not giving him the respect he deserves. They would not have either of their WS rings without Manny. He IS that team, whether they want to believe it or not. Guys like Schilling and Ortiz are just add-ons to the Man-Ram core and I have always felt that way. It would be quite illuminating to see Ortiz try and hit without Manny behind him.

21. Jake says:

If Manny would do a 2-year deal, then maybe. But not for 3,4,5 years. We need to stop locking in aging players for their decline year. All things considered (age/defense), I would probably rather sign Teixiera than Manny.

22. Pete says:

I think a year or two of Manny would be all management could stomach.

23. E-ROC says:

Can he play RF? $20.5 for two years?? Maybe Manny can be the DH, but that spot might be used as a revolving door for the rest of the aging players on the roster.

24. Setty says:

Random note: just looked at tonight’s lineup and it’s the good old Girardi righty lineup once again. Apparently he doesn’t care if the righties suck at baseball, as long as they’re righties they’re playing vs. LHP. How do you continue to bench Giambi in a weak lineup solely b/c there is a lefty on the mound when we’re struggling like hell to score runs!!!

25. Manimal says:

Am I the only one that wants Holliday in Pinstripes really badly? It is certainly do-able.

• whozat says:

This has been beaten to death. Read other threads.

Upshot: His numbers look like Hideki Matsui circa 2005 outside of Coors. Some think that’s a realistic assessment of his expected production, some think it’ll be closer to his Coors numbers. His defense is meh over in LF. The Yankees already have some LFers. Can he play RF? Will adding his bat make them series contenders? Or just a bit more likely to get to the postseason and fail early?

• Manimal says:

I understand the theory behind it but is there really that much of a difference? Check out the interleague stats. In 68 games he bats .336 with 7 homeruns and a .510 Slugging %.

• Manimal says:

He also hits drastically better in team wins(.401) and Colorodo hasn’t done much of that besides last year. With him in the line up he would offer a different style(Bobby Abreu never swings on the first pitch, Holiday bats .402 on the first pitch)

• whozat says:

The Yankees aren’t really having a problem with guys swinging early in the count this season.

• Manimal says:

Holiday gets on base 4/10 times on the first pitch(when he swings) Melky Betemit and Cano ground out weakly. Big difference.

• Mike A. says:

MLE Calculator says if Holliday was playing this year in Yankee Stadium, he’d be hitting .319-.407-.525 with 20 doubles, 13 homers and 13 steals in just over 310 at-bats. He’d be a right-handed Jason Gaimbi who hit 70 points higher.

• Holliday becomes much less intriguing when you consider his road splits and the fact that the Rox will ask for a hefty bounty in return.

26. Shane says:

Manny was supposed to be a Yankee. He was just about born IN Yankee stadium… I’d take Manny at 21 mil for 2 years ANY day.

27. Ivan says:

Hey would you guys take a flyer on Rocco Baldelli? He has been plagued by injuries and the rays already have there outfield set, so I assume he would be available.

28. Rich M. says:

Manny has Scott Boras as is agent. There is no way he will sign a two year deal. All this crap is just posturing for him to get a longer deal from the Sox instead of the one year options they hold for the next two years.

29. Rich M. says:

That six figure fine that manny got is more like $15,000

• A.D. says:

Yeah you can’t fine a player that much, so I was wondering on that

• Steve says:

Or closer to $10,000 and its not even a real fine, instead a donation to an agreed upon charity.

What a joke. Leave it up to the rabid Boston press corps to blow a story totally out of proportion. They have about 3 grown ups in that town, and the rest of the media is a bunch of rabid pit bulls. And thats not a compliment, despite the fact they seem to think it is.

30. Steve says:

The Yankees will have no interest in Manny Ramirez, and it will be the right decision despite how great he’s BEEN for so many years.

1-Terry Francona sat Manny (or more accurately, Manny sat himself) during the last Yanks-Sox game when Joba started. Tito said he ‘has trouble with hard throwers’ at this point of his career, especially right handers. At 36 his bat is slowing down and his numbers have been reflecting this trend for the past 2 years.

2-We don’t have to guess if the Yanks would be interested. There’s history on how the Yanks feel about Manny. The BoSox put Manny on irrevocable waivers 3 years ago, and the Yanks (along with 28 other teams) passed. Why would they want him now, when he is clearly not the same player he was back then?

31. Steve says:

BTW-Gordon Edes is refuting just about every word of this story, citing sources in BoSox management. Here’s his take.

“Manny’s fine wildly overstated

Posted by Gordon Edes, Globe Staff July 18, 2008 03:46 PM

Manny Ramirez was disciplined by the Red Sox in the aftermath of his June 28 altercation in Houston with Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick in an agreement struck among the club, the player and his agent, Scott Boras, and the players’ union.

According to industry sources, Ramirez, in addition to apologizing to McCormick, paid a fine of between $10,000 to $15,000, with the money going to an agreed-upon charity. The fine is at the lower end of that range.Reports that Ramirez had been assessed a six-figure fine are not true, and Red Sox officials have not raised the issue that Ramirez’s strikeout against Mariano Rivera in a pinch-hit appearance July 6 was in any way related to the discipline administered.

Also, while Ramirez expressed some frustration this week about his contract status, all parties involved have recognized that the Sox do not intend to address the issue of his 2009 and 2010 option years until after the season. The Sox hold $20 million options on Ramirez for each season.

Asked to comment about the reports of the fine, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner e-mailed this: “Having discussed this, our response is that this will continue to be an internal matter.”

32. BillyBall says:

Last season RAB posted a blog about bringing back Clemes. I was against him coming back, cannot stand the guy, but the Yankees brought him back, they didn’t win any World Series and he embarrassed not only himself, but MLB and more importantly my NY Yankees. A few days ago RAB decides to post an article to get readers and bloggers to comment about bringing in Barroid Bonds. Of course this stirs up much debate. The overwhelming feeling I was left with after commenting and reading other posts was shock. Here is a man that tarnished the game and will forever leave a black eye on baseball well after all the loyal RAB bloggers are dead, buried, and watching games in heaven with Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe D., Mickey Mantle, and Jackie Robinson breaking up a double play by barreling into TY Cobbs. This man should not have the privilege of wearing another MLB uniform especially a Yankee uniform.

Now RAB posts an article about bring on Manny in 2009 after it came out that Manny was having problems with the Sox front office after he pushed down an elderly defenseless man and than never lifted his bat off his back during a critical point of the game facing the Great Mariano. Ironically while I was watching it I thought something very suspicious was going on. I chalked it up to Manny getting older and the Great Mariano embarrassing his ass. But when I watched it again, it seemed as if Manny who truly is in the top 5 of all Right Handed hitters in MLB history (with a BIG asterisk if steroids were involved) regardless if Yankee fans want to admit it or not and he didn’t even take his bat off his shoulder. After the called 3rd strike he turned around quickly and jetted off the field. Now prior to the game I was curious on why Francona sat him. But that is all X-File bullshit. If there was serious proof that he did that to get back at team officials I wouldn’t doubt that a second with his crazy history. Now after saying all of this, I actually may be one of the few Yankee fans that gets a real kick out of the Manny being Manny stuff. If you would have told me three years ago that he was a free agent and we could sign him for a 4 year deal I would have been on board. His attitude is no worse than that of a Sheffield and I would have rather had him than Sheffield any day of the week. Now after he just pushes down an old defenseless man and after what he did 2 years ago by saying he was injured and taking himself out of the lineup down the stretch for the Sox I couldn’t even imagine wanting him on my team.

You see, the problem here is that some RAB Yankee fans, the ones that profess that they would rather have a team with Bonds, Clemens and Manny as this will get us a championship and as one intelligent blogger noted, no one will remember anyway as people are forgotten but titles remain for ever. Lets sell our tradition, our, pride, our Yankees for another championship. The problem with that mind set is that if the Yankees fail to win in 2009 and your left to watch these players represent your team, what than? Most loyal Yankee fans, the ones that some bloggers on here discredit are the ones that want to pass this Yankee legacy to there children and the next generation of Yankee fans without having to explain to them that we sold our sole to bring in the likes of Barroid Bonds who like Clemens tarnished the game with there lies. These same fans will attack those who are against bring in players like Manny who push down that old man. I guess if that old man who was pushed was your grandfather you would be adamantly against him coming to the Yankees. We made the mistake with Clemens. Lets not embarrass our team with Bonds and Manny. The history of Baseball is littered with guys that beat there wives and push elderly people to the ground but for the most part the Yankees have stayed away from those players. The Yankees who have stressed pride and class need some RAB bloggers to follow that example.

33. BillyBall says:

Lol, who knows, supposedly he changed before he died, who knows!