Jul

Nick Green wins it with a grand slam in extras

I had to write that title out just to see how completely ridiculous it was.

Triple-A Scranton (8-4 win over Columbus in 11 innings)
Alberto Gonzalez & Ben Broussard: both 0 for 5 – The Former Attorney General drew a walk, scored a run & K’ed thrice … Broussard K’ed once
Eric Duncan: 2 for 5, 2 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB - you tease
Matt Carson & Chris Stewart: both 0 for 4, 1 BB – Carson K’ed thrice … Stewart scored a run & K’ed
Juan Miranda: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
Jason Lane: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
JD Closser: 1 for 3, 2 R, 2 BB
Nick Green: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 K – I wasn’t joking, he won the game with a salami in the 11th
IPK: 5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 2 HB, 6-3 GB/FB – 61 of 92 pitches were strikes (66.3%) … meh
Steven Jackson: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K – 20 of 32 pitches were strikes (62.5%)
Al Aceves: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K – The Mexican Gangster came out of the pen on his throw day because Scranton’s pen was short, and they ended up going to extras anyway
Heath Phillips: 2 IP, zeroes, 2 K
Scott Strickland: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K – gave up back-to-back solo homers with 2 outs in the bottom of the 11th … he’d given up 2 hits total in his previous 11 IP

Double-A Trenton (6-4 win over Binghamton)
Reegie Corona: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 SB
Colin Curtis: 0 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB
Austin Jackson: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB – 11 for his last 22
Chris Malec: 2 for 2, 3 RBI, 2 BB – on base 19 times in his last 10 games
PJ Pilittere, Edwar Gonzalez & Walt Ibarra: all 1 for 4, 1 R – PJ doubled … Edwar drove in a run & K’ed … Ibarra committed a fielding error
Jason Jones: 6 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 6-9 GB/FB
Mark Melancon: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 6-2 GB/FB

Triple-A Scranton (4-2 win over Vero Beach)
Luis Nunez & Mitch Hilligoss: both 0 for 4, 1 K - Nunez drew a walk
Eduardo Nunez, Kevin Smith, Andres Perez & Tim Battle: all 1 for 4 – Nunez doubled & drove in 3 … Perez doubled & K’ed … Battle scored a run & K’ed twice (of cour … oh forget it)
Josh Kreuser: 0 for 2, 1 BB, 1 SB, 1 HBP - say hello to the newest roster filler … he was signed after the Jays released him because he was slugging .190 with Double-A New Hampshire
Seth Fortenberry: 0 for 2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K
Eladio Rodriguez: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS
Grant Duff: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 10-6 GB/FB – I’d call that a successful spot start, no?
Phil Bartlewski: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Josh Schmidt: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 2-0 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (9-3 win over West Virginia)
Abe Almonte: 0 for 3, 1 R, 2 BB – 11 for his last 67 (164)
Justin Snyder:0 for 4, 2 R, 1 BB
Austin Romine: 2 for 5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 PB - had been 6 for his last 38 (.158)
Bradley Suttle & Austin Krum: both 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI
Brandon Laird: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI
Carmen Angelini: 3 for 4, 2 RBI, 1 K, 2 SB – had been 5 for his last 33 (.152)
Matt Morris: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 K, 1 HBP
Wilkins DeLaRosa: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 7-6 GB/FB
Ryan Zink: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Jon Ortiz: 1 IP, zeroes, 3 K, 1 HBP - nasty

Short Season Staten Island‘s game is currently in an extended rain delay, and I don’t want to wait around for it to end. Here’s the box score. If the game is suspended, they’ll likely finish it up tomorrow.

The Rookie GCL Yanks had a scheduled off day.

Futures Game (World beat the USA 3-0)
Ramiro Pena: 0 for 1, 1 BB, 1 K – took over short in the bottom of the 5th … he was in the game because the D-Backs called up Emilio Bonaficio last week and a replacement was needed … Pena was local and fit the bill regarding position and country, which is why he was selected to replace him, not because he’s a great prospect or anything … the same thing happened in 2006 with Josh Sharpless when the game was in Pittsburgh
Jesus Montero: 1 for 2 – took over behind the dish in bottom of the 6th … hit a clean single through the hole on the right side of the infield off Casey Weathers, the Rockies ’07 first rounder … it was a very Jeterian hit, if I do say so myself

Here’s a short little blurb on Montero from BA’s Prospect Blog regarding his batting practice showing prior to the game:

Yankees catcher Jesus Montero put on a spectacle a few weeks ago at the South Atlantic League All-Star game, blasting home run after home run into right center field with the friendly breeze at Greensboro. His first few reps in the cage started slow, but Montero hit three out of the park in one of his final BP reps, something the Yankees certainly hope he does more of in this stadium in the future.

Sounds good to me.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. McCaff says:

I was at the futures game today, since prospects are my favorite thing in the world. Sat on the first base line about 3 rows up, even though my tickets were upper tier 16, he he. But anway, Montero is a beast, and runs like a loser. It was pretty funny, he looked kind of un-coordinated when he ran. But he will grow into his body more hopefully. Also, when he got the hit, his family, who was behind me, stood up and cheered, which was cool to see. No hot sisters to report on, but Montero’s family seemed extremely proud as they spoke vibrantly about him in Venezuelan toungue.

2. Brandon says:

Say what you want about Eric 9 HR/41 RBI at the halfway point 3 HR in July..(he’s still a tease)

3. Rich says:

I don’t mean to nitpick, but Scranton’s final score was 8-6, not 8-4.

Thanks again for compiling this every day. It’s greatly appreciated!

4. Matthew Cohen says:

“they spoke vibrantly about him in Venezuelan toungue.”

that would be Spanish?

• Kay Sturns says:

i think he meant the separate dialect that venezuelans have

• Jamal G. says:

Outside of some slang and a different meaning for a word or two, the Spanish among different countries are basically the same. I think he was just making a joke. Example being that most of my friends are Dominican and although there are some words that they have no idea what I’m talking about (mainly food and curse words), we understand each other just fine when speaking Spanish.

• daneptizl says:

Damn man. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are hard as hell to understand. At my old barber shop they’d ask me something and I didn’t know what they were saying, but I didn’t feel like asking them what they were saying because it would have taken so long. So instead, every time they started telling a story and looked for a response or asked me something I’d just mumble some incoherence and nod my head while laughing. Very few times they looked at me a little weird, but mostly it worked. Sometimes it really didn’t work.

5. A.D. says:

Jason Jones, only a quality start at AA….what a bum

6. A.D. says:

Kreuser was slugging .190….yikes

7. A.D. says:

Nice start for De La Rosa as he stretches it out

8. Brandon says:

Wilkins De La Rosa

Since May 31st

36.1 IP, 19 H, 8 ER, 13 BB, 38 K

1.99 ERA

1.49 BAA

9. Mike W. says:

Another great performance from IPK.

We should put IPK and Betances in a game one day. They could split the pitching in the game. They would strike out double digits of batters but still lose the game 10-0 due to the double digit walks issued.

• christopher says:

strange because, correct me if i am wrong, but wasnt one of his stregnths hs abilty to mthrow strikesl

really hope ether he or hughes turn out to be the rea; deal,but
      I am beginnng th see the early BA projectons about IPK were correct – 5th starter

• dan says:

That’s one of Kennedy’s worst MiLB starts of his career. Unless you’re being sarcastic…

10. pat says:

hey mike, this is the first year im following the farm very closely (thanks to you undoubtedly), so im wondering where the low a charleston standouts go next year, do they go automatically to tampa or do the really good ones go straight to AA. I guess what im asking is if tampa is a stop for the mid to low tier prospects or everybody spends a season there?

and i think i speak for all of us when i say keep up the good work you guys run an awesome website

• Mike A. says:

One level at a time, but it’s not automatic; they have to earn it. I can’t remember the last time the Yanks jumped a guy from Low-A all the way to Double-A. They like to keep guys in Tampa because it’s nice and close to the braintrust.

Romine, Suttle, Montero, Snyder and Laird should all be in Tampa next year. Almonte, Angelini and Betances would benefit from repeating the level next year, even if it’s just half a season like Austin Jackson last year.

11. DaveM says:

I know I’m a little late with this but, RIP Bobby Murcer. I’ll miss you!!

12. Matt L says:

Does anyone have the video of the Montero single?

13. dan says:

I just noticed this… the section designated for Tampa says “Triple-A Scranton” above it. Not that it matters in the least.

14. christopher says:

i know it is unlkely, but what whould everyones oponm be on the yanks strateagy at the deadklne

A. trade for Burnett provded they get wndow to compensate hm to wave the opt out clause

B. trade for Bedard. I lke this one because he s under contract and the marners wll be sellng the stock low rght now. I dont worry about the attitude much because on a good team players seem to blend n better. This helps for next season and f we can hold hughes and Ajax – I would do it, but dont know how much seattle will want.

2008 Rotation n Sept. Wang, Joba, Petitte, Bedard, Mussina
    2009 sub in hughes for moose.

C. Trade for a righty bat – 1st or OF

D. Try to sway some good minor league pitchers for good major league ptchers?

E. Sell whover they can although most of the commodies that you would want to trade ether have no trade clauses or are 10-5 guys who can veto any trade.

• dan says:

I know he has a no-trade clause, but I hope they make a run for Greg Maddux. He’s not going to be spectacular away from Petco, but he’d be a reliable back of the rotation starter who has had great success in the playoffs (if they make it).

What do you guys think about giving up someone along the lines of Kontos (or a similarly talented player) to get him?

• Brandon says:

Dan I hope Greg Maddux is the type of player we stay away from. He never wanted to be here in the past, bringing him here is buying low and declining your overall pitching staff.

• dan says:

Well he’d have to want to come, since he has a no-trade clause. And I don’t think it’s a downgrade. The last 3 years he has a 102 ERA+, so he’ll be around league average (as he is performing this year as well). He’s never hurt (don’t really need a source to back that), and he’d have a positive influence on the young pitchers on the staff. I’d feel much more comfortable with Maddux at 4 and Rasner at 5 than with Rasner at 4 and Ponson/Karstens at 5.

If it only takes a deal headed by Kontos, I don’t see why they wouldn’t want to do it.

• Brandon says:

Christopher

In Response

A) AJ Burnett is just like Pavano w/ injuries and is Jekyl and Hyde on the mound. Philly will most likely get him since they are in the NL and it won’t effect thier division.

B) Bedard has been deemed a loser by John Heyman (Bedard has given Seattle headaches, they have categorized him as a quitter over there, his ERA away from Safeco is above 5._ _

C) Richie Sexson through waivers as a low risk signing and if they can I’d talk to the Indians about Casey Blake and Rafy Perez.

D) That’s really the kill shot move, I guess your thinking trade Mussina since he could be a Type A next season (IDK I’d rather keep him and get the picks)

E) Abreu, Matsui, Damon, Melky anyone not named Jeter and Rodriguez or under 22 is for sale.

• Cult of Basebaal says:

my vote is kinda C … try and pick up some bats on the cheap, then maybe E … dump some vets and bring back some position player prospects … maybe package a vet and a prospect to get back something good

i’m really not overly optimistic about this team’s chances this year … maybe, if damon and matsui come back and can actually stay healthy, the offense will click and we’ll go on a run … but i’ve got a feeling neither posada nor matsui are going to continue to be hampered by injuries … and this offense just has too many outs in it … and seems to lose the ability to grind out at bats and work the pitchers almost at random

15. christopher says:

also i have a rules related question. is there a mamum number of compensaton picks a team can recieve f they lose a lot of type A guys?

Any restrctons other than roster roster size of course on the amount of free agents a team can bring in?

16. Nate says:

Any reason why the Yankees use Melancon for multiple innings so frequently? 66 innings already is a hell of a lot, especially considering he is coming back from TJ. Also, doesn’t it kind of eliminate him from a late-season callup?

• Brandon says:

He gets past too many innings w/ low pitch counts and in rehab pitching that’s not beneficial that’s why at times he has to pitch 2-3 innings.

• Cult of Basebaal says:

supposedly because it allows him more opportunities to work on his secondary pitches … given their statements to the effect and the fact that the bullpen is the least of our problems, i doubt whether melancon will be called up this year. i think they’re content to let him get a full healthyseason ending at AA, then bump him to AAA in the spring where he’ll be at the front of the line to come up …

• Brandon says:

Mark Newman said he may

“Yes (the plan is to keep him in Trenton all season), but plans are changeable. Whoever’s the next Joba, I’m not sure. But he certainly has ability, and he’s pitched extraordinarily well here. He’s still essentially in a rehab season. This is his first competition in professional baseball, and he’s doing it coming off Tommy John surgery. We didn’t expect him to do this well.”

• Cult of Basebaal says:

absolutely … but if there’s no pressing need, i don’t see them pressing him up, especially if his IPs are high.

we’ve got a bullpen that’s pitching very well, plus bruney due back in a couple of weeks, plus strickland pitching lights out at scranton, plus JB Cox, who’s most likely ahead of melacon in the line for a call up

• Brandon says:

LOL no offense to Strickland but lets be honest here he’s another Jim Brower. But I get your Melancon point there really isn’t a pressing need for him this season. I mean Veras has surprised me, Edwar doing good, Robertson is pitching good, Farnsy is a train wreck that found a track, Bruney is in AA in waiting I get that point.

• dan says:

Woah. Strickland has a career 131 ERA+ in the major leagues, striking out just over a batter an inning. Jim Brower he is not.

• Cult of Basebaal says:

shit. i forgot about The Make A Wish Kid, chris britton. just like the yankees keep doing. put him in line ahead of melancon, too.

17. nohum says:

This is completely unrelated, but did you guys hear John Kruk’s pick for AL Cy Young for the first half?
    K-rod.

18. Brandon says:

Wait a minute Nick Green hit the walkoff Grand Slam ?

• Mike A. says:

Heh, it’s about time someone was as amazed at that as I was. It wasn’t a walk-off though, they were on the road. Still though, it’s Nick Green.

19. RollingWave says:

The answer is Bonds, barry… Bonds. I heard that guy hit a few dinger in his primes.

• Brandon says:

I heard he may have a trial and would make some players like Matsui or Damon or Georgy upset when they lose playing time.

20. Jon G says:

If the Yanks could somehow package Abreau and some prospects for Holliday, he’d be like an O’neil for the next 10 yrs…

21. Gil says:

i was at the game in Charleston yesterday. De La Rosa looked great. 92-94 from the left side will turn some heads.

Also Mike, why no mention of the fact that Jackson came in to the game following Ohlendorf on Friday with the bases loaded and no outs and only gave up 1 run.

22. jimmy says:

Anyone have some info about Melec? I never see anybody talking about him. Just looking at his stats, I like that type of player: good batting average, high obp, not to many strikeouts – he seems like the type of player the yankees have been missing since the run of championships. I guess the knock on him would be his age and the lack of homeruns. Any info about his defense? Chance of going to AAA any time soon?

• Mike A. says:

He’s a bat control freak. He used to be a middle infielder, but he’s not very athletic so the Yanks moved him to the infield corners. He changed his swing a bit before 2007 and started hitting for more power, even though most of it is to the gaps. He’s a nice sleeper, but they’ll make him prove himself one level at a time.