Jul

SWB (T)clips Columbus

Triple-A Scranton (7-3 win over Columbus)
Alberto Gonzalez & Eric Duncan: both 0 for 5 – E-Dunc K’ed
Matt Carson: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K
Juan Miranda: 2 for 4, 3 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB – went back-to-back with Carson to lead off the 6th
Cody Ransom: 2 for 3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – Chad Jennings says he’s taking Justin Christian’s spot in the All-Star Game
Ben Broussard: 0 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB
Jason Lane: 2 for 4
Dan McCutchen: 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 8-4 GB/FB – 61 of 89 pitches were strikes (68.6%)
JB Cox: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 2-0 GB/FB
Chris Britton: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Scott Strickland: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K – 6 baserunners in his last 13 IP … sick
Tyler Clippard: 5 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K – ah there’s the T-Clip we all know and love

Double-A Trenton (5-3 win over Altoona)
Ramiro Pena, Austin Jackson, PJ Pilittere & Cody Ehlers: all 0 for 4 – Pena & Ajax each K’ed once … Ehlers K’ed twice & is now 5 for his last 42 (.119)
Colin Curtis: 3 for 4, 1 R, 3 2B, 3 RBI, 1 K – 3 doubles and you only score 1 run? weak
Chris Malec: 0 for 1, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 HBP – on-base machine
James Cooper: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K
Reegie Corona: 0 for 1, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 SB
Eric Hacker: 5.1 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 7-4 GB/FB – a rare sub-par start
Jose Valdez: 1.2 IP, zeroes, 1 K
Anthony Claggett: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 2-0 GB/FB – all but 1 of his 6 saves have been old school multiple inning jobs

High-A Tampa
Game 1
(3-1 loss to St. Lucie in 7 innings)
Eduardo Nunez: 0 for 4, 1 K
Luis Nunez: 1 for 4
Kevin Smith: 2 for 3 – 12 for his last 35 (.343)
Andres Perez, Eladio Rodriguez & Mitch Hilligoss: all 0 for 3 – E-Rod scored a run
Seth Fortenberry: 1 for 1, 1 BB, 1 HBP
CJ Henry: 2 for 2, 1 BB
Tim Battle: 1 for 2, 1 RBI
Mike Dunn: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 6-5 GB/FB – had allowed 30 baserunners & 17 ER in his last 19.2 IP coming into this game
Josh Schmidt: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K – he’s allowed 3 ER in his last 2.2 IP after allowing 0 in his previous 7.2 IP
Game 2 (6-3 loss to St. Lucie in 7 innings)
Eduardo Nunez: 0 for 4, 1 K – tough day
Luis Nunez, Andres Perez, Jose Gil & Tim Battle: all 1 for 3 – Perez scored a run, drove in another & K’ed … Gil doubled in a run & allowed a passed ball … Battle hit a solo jack
Mitch Hilligoss: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B
Seth Fortenberry & CJ Henry: both 0 for 3 – Henry K’ed
Ben Blumenthal: 0 for 2, 1 BB, 1 K
Jason Stephens: 3.2 IP, 11 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 1 P, 4-5 GB/FB – 2 of the walks were intentional … finding out that High-A is a tad tougher than Low-A
Phil Bartlewski: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Grant Duff: 1 IP, zeroes
Jon Hovis: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Low-A Charleston was rained out. They’ll have to give up an off-day to make this one up, it was supposed to be the last time the River Dogs played Lexington this season.

Short Season Staten Island (5-3 win over Oneonta)
Walt Ibarra: 0 for 5, 1 R, 1 K
David Adams: 2 for 4, 2 R, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 E (throwing) – 6 for his last 9 with 3 doubles
Mike Lyon & Dan Brewer: both 2 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB – Lyon scored a run … Brewer hit a ground-rule double, swiped a bag & K’ed
Braedyn Pruitt: 0 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB – “tough year” is a bit of an understatement
Steve Strausbaugh, Taylor Grote & Jahdiel Santamaria: all 1 for 4 – Strausbaugh scored a run & committed a throwing error … Grote doubled & K’ed … Santamaria drove in a run, stole a base & K’ed
Melky Mesa: 0 for 4, 2 K
Brandon Braboy: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HB, 4-9 GB/FB
Drew Shetrone: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Josue Selenes: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Pat Venditte: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K – 2 H & 11 K in 10.2 IP … RHB are hitting .105 off him, LHB .000, although all 6 of his walks came against southpaws

Rookie GCL Yanks (6-5 win over GCL Braves in 11 innings, walk-off style)
Jose Pirela: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Emerson Landoni & Neall French: both 2 for 5 - Landoni doubled, tripled, was hit by a pitch & K’ed … French drove in the winning run with a walk-off single, walked & K’ed twice
Jimmy Paredes: 0 for 5, 2 K, 1 HBP
Mike Jones: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
Kyle Anson: 1 for 3, 1 RBI
Alvaro Ramirez: 2 for 6, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K - .531 OPS even with the homer
Zoilo Almonte: 3 for 5, 2 R, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 HBP
Tom Baldridge: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 HBP
Francisco Rondon: 5 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 7-4 GB/FB
Shawn Joy: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Israel Batista: 1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
Mike Obradovich: 3 IP, zeroes, 5 K – now that’s some quality relief pitching

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. KW says:

Hey Mike, what’s the deal with Claggett? He was part of the Sheff deal, what kind of stuff does he have? Got a shot to make it in the bigs? thanks

• Mike A. says:

He’s got a shot, absolutely. 92-93 but it’s straight as an arrow, outstanding slider, deceptive motion (looks like he’s pulling the ball out of ear) helps his fastball play up. Go figure, he’s been the best player the Yanks got in that deal … so far.

2. daneptizl says:

What’s Maybin worth in a trade now? Excluding Hughes/Joba.

• Mike A. says:

I whole lot. If you want to exclude Hughes and Joba, I’d say Cano then, or IPK and Austin Jackson. He’s outstanding.

• daneptizl says:

What if you exclude Jackson. Maybe Kennedy/Horne/Almonte?

• Mike A. says:

I don’t think they could get it done then. Horne gets hurt too much, plus his control generally sucks. Almonte is too far away, same with Montero, Romine, Betances, all those guys.

Kennedy, McAllister and Gardner maybe? I’m pretty certain I’d turn that down if I was Larry Beinfest though.

• Simon B. says:

Maybin for Cano?

What?

I’m not scoffing at Maybin so much, but he isn’t really that far ahead of Jackson this year, so I don’t know why you would offer Kennedy on top of him, and CERTAINLY not Cano.

3. Jamal G. says:

21-K, 2-BB, 18-H, 3-ER in Danny Mac’s last 21-IP. Cool.

BTW, is Manny Banuelos one of the three Mexican League pitchers that were signed this past off-season? If not, who are the other two guys besides Alfredo Aceves and where are they in the organization as of right now?

• Mike A. says:

I have no freaking idea. I didn’t even know they signed three players out of the Mexican League last year. I think Banuelos would be too young for that league, the Mexican League is in-between AA and AAA in terms of the level of competition.

• Jamal G. says:

Heh, this is like that moment in “National Treasure” where Nicholas Cage’s partner knew something about history that Cage didn’t. Then the partner had like a moment in Heaven just basking in the glory of his knowledge over Cage. Ok, I’m done now.

• Eric says:

Banuelos was 1 of the 4, including Aceves. 25 year-old Harold Garce (supposedly throws in the mid-high 90′s, but is really raw) and 18 year-old Angel Mundo, the other two signees, are both on the DSL Yankees1, which indicates that they are both very far away.

• Eric says:

BTW, Garce has a horrific 32 walks in 14 2/3 innings (that’s not a typo). And I just realized he’s Dominican, not Mexican, but I think he was signed around the same time.

• Jamal G. says:

Wasn’t he (Garce) signed along with Reymond Nunez, the supposed First Basemen with an 80-grade for power on the 20-80 scouting scale?

• Brandon says:

Garce is 22 yrs. old legally out of the Dominican Rep. in his tryouts he stepped on the field topping out at 99 MPH and even 101, he sat at 95 mph in Dominican Instruction games. He’s raw to pitching alot of upside here.

• Chip says:

You could be looking at next year’s fifth starter

• Chip says:

I thought Banuelos was Dominican? I could be wrong though

• Brandon says:

Well if my calculations are correct that’s

1.29 ERA and .221 BAA (Not bad for Cutch)

4. Colin says:

Lyon’s been pretty good in Staten Island, I like following him cause he went to the same college as me. What are considered good stats for Staten Island? Is it a hitters league?

5. Chip says:

Any chance Venditte sees some action in Charleston this year or do you think they’ll shut him down after a long college season? It seems to me that he’s a bit old for that level

• Mike A. says:

Long college season? He’s ambidextrous, he’s only worked half a season with each arm! ;)

I doubt they move him up. I consider the competition in the NY-PL better than that in the Sally League anyway.

6. Alan says:

So, when is Scott Strickland getting the call up? He’s gotta be better than Hawkins or Edwar, at this point.

7. dave says:

sorry if this is a dumb question

but where is tabata recently?

• Eric says:

Hamstring injury, they’re not sure about the severity yet.

• Alan says:

Poor kid, this has been a rough season for him. Hopefully he can bounce back, I’d hate to see a kid with that much promise and potential go down the drain.

• dan says:

I think he’s gonna have a monster year next season. He’s always young for the level he’s at, and he’s never repeated a level. I think repeating AA next season will be a huge deal for him, since he’ll be adjusted to the level of competition and know what to expect.

Coming off the wrist surgery, I didn’t expect much this season (look at what wrist problems have done to Delgado and to Zimmerman this season). Next year he’ll be healthy, adjusted, and probably (hopefully) more motivated to prove he’s not a bust.

• Joltin' Joe says:

The first step would be to not walk out of games in New ******* Britain! (My hometown, just had to get that in there).

• Brandon says:

In Tampa and Mark Newman said he expects him back this coming month to finish out the season, probably in Tampa A.

8. Joltin' Joe says:

You can also attribute whipping boy Pavano to my hometown… man I gotta move far, far away.

9. pat says:

hey mike whats up with the pride of compton? I havnt seen him in the last few dof’s

10. TurnTwo says:

not sure it means anything, but Cody Ransom has 15 HRs this season.

just wasnt expecting to see that.

• Mike A. says:

He’s always had good power. He hit 28 homers in AAA last year. His plate discipline leaves something to be desired, and he has trouble making consistent contact. That’s his downfall.

11. JohnC says:

I really like 8th rounder Dan Brewer. Has a great approach to hitting. Just hits it where its pitched. Not a big power guy though, but he could advance quickly.

• Rob says:

I like Brewer too, but I’m worried about him. He told me that he got a lot of hits in college because he’s small and outfielders played him shallow which caused him to hit it over their heads a lot. But now that he’s playing pro ball they play him deeper which has caused his power numbers to go down a little. Combine that with the fact that he’s never used a wooden bat before, that all causes me to think he might suffer in pro ball, but he’s picking it up lately which is a good sign.

Basically it’s going to be a while before you can tell where this kid is going.

12. pat says:

ok to clarify incase my nickname doesnt stick, I meant chris smith….

13. A.D. says:

McCutchen potentially settling into the AAA level after he made some adjustments

maybe David Adams is finally getting hot

14. pounder says:

Can anybody tell me what happened to Brett Smith ?????

15. NC Saint says:

Pat Venditte: best pitcher of all time, or merely the best pitcher in the game today?