Aug

Cole, Bleich & Bittle updates

MLB.com draft guru Jonathan Mayo has posted a small update on the status of the 11 first round picks that remain unsigned, four of which are represented by Boras. He notes that both Gerrit Cole (1st round) and Jeremy Bleich (sandwich round) are expected to sign with the Yanks, however second rounder Scott Bittle is not. A routine physical showed significant wear and tear on the righty’s throwing shoulder about a month ago, leading to an breakdown in contract negotiations. If Bittle doesn’t sign, the Yanks will receive a compensation pick following the second round of next year’s draft. Bleich is the only unsigned sandwich pick now that the Giants locked up Conor Gillaspie.

Update (1:20pm): Pending Pinstripes had a chance to sit down and chat with the recently signed Brett Marshall. Check it out. (can you tell the kid just got out of high school, or what?)

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. yanks99 says:

sounds like a modest young man…

2. The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I can’t stop laughing because I keep envisioning this conversation happening in-person instead of via email or whatever, so it’s like Ashish asks a question in a totally normal tone and then Marshall just YELLS HIS RESPONSES BECAUSE HE’S SO EXCITED!!!! And Ashish just sits there calmly and asks him another question in a calm, normal tone and Marshall GOES NUTS WITH THE NEXT RESPONSE TOO BECAUSE HE JUST CAN’T CONTROL THE VOLUME OF HIS VOICE!!! Here, try it out:

Ashish Skaria: While crushing homeruns in the living room as a little kid, did you seriously say: “Dad, I am going to play for the New York Yankees.”?

Brett Marshall: Yes that is true!! When people asked what I wanted to do when I grew up, I always said I was going to play for the Yankees!!

(Nothing wrong with the kid being psyched about signing with the Yankees and being a little cocky… This interview makes me want to root for him even more… I just think it’s really funny.)

3. Ivan says:

like this kid, and love his talent.

4. UNION YES. says:

That interview is hilarious. So innocent..

5. Manimal says:

Bleich looked fine in the NCAA College World Series.

6. Mike A. says:

I like to do both!! But they drafted me as a pitcher!! So that’s what I’m going to do!!

Heh.

7. UNION YES. says:

Brett Marshall: “Love working out, hanging out with all my best friends, and don’t know where I would be without them, baseball, Frisbee, doing magic tricks, hunting, and just anything where you have to be active. Can’t sit still for very long!!”

haha

8. Cam says:

Someone really has to remove the exclamation point from that kids keyboard.

9. steve says:

too bad about bittle i was really looking forward to seeing him rise through the system with that pitch he called “the thing”

10. pete says:

wow. loves frisbee, working out, and is named brett marshall. this kid is the biggest bro ever. I bet his friends are all named like chad and lance and stuff too.

11. dan says:

He’s annoying me already (!)

12. blah says:

Loved the interview with Brett Marshall!! The kid certainly sounds excited!!! And confident! A real gamer, I hope !!!!