Aug

Game 123: Baseball for the fun of it

This afternoon, when the Yankees play the Royals in an afternoon affair at the Stadium, the Yankees will be in a distant third place in both the AL East and the Wild Card. They’re 10.5 games behind Tampa Bay, closer to last place than to first. Boston finds itself with a seven-game lead over the Yanks as well.

So from here on out, we’re just going to sit back and enjoy baseball for it is: our favorite sport played during the dog days of summer. It’s time to remember what’s great about the game and why we all love watching and spending so much time thinking, writing and talking baseball.

In the end, the Yankees may yet make the playoffs. Perhaps this team can overcome the odds and make an improbably late-season run toward October. Perhaps they can send off Yankee Stadium with a run for the ages. But if even if they don’t — even if, by New York standards, the Yanks fail this year — we’ll still be there, watching the game, loving (or hating) the players and remember why baseball is our National Pastime.

The Yanks face Zack Greinke and the Royals today at 1:05 p.m. Enjoy it.

Damon DH
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A. Rodriguez 3B
Giambi 1B
Nady LF
Cano 2B
I. Rodriguez C
Gardner CF

Ponson P

Categories : Game Threads

1. LiveFromNewYork says:

I really wish they would have given Yankee Stadium one final playoff season. Every time they left RISP or played with lackluster performances, they were so unaware (or don’t care) about the history they are leaving behind at each game.

If half the team was injured and the other half was playing its heart out, I would not be angry…but they’re not and I am. Half the team IS injured and the other half act like it’s not big deal. Just slog through and enjoy the off season. Shame on you guys.

Girardi has made a bunch of stupid managing decisions and though I think (hope) he can get better, I want Meachem fired at 3rd base. I think Girardi is overthinking things sometimes and the pinch hitting Melky decision is the single worst decision I’ve seen by an MLB manager in any game that I’ve witnessed (I’m sure there were dumber but I didn’t get to see it first hand). And now he’s calling for bunts when maybe that could have saved us at other times this season. It boggles the mind. Still I think he can be a good manager. I think he has what it takes. It also takes a team and his tends to not show up.

I am convinced they could have played better even with the injuries. There are stories here this year….Moose’s extraordinary play…the last year at Yankee Stadium…that cannot be overlooked but the rest of the team has managed to NOT do them justice.

It’s just sad and unfortunate and the Stadium and the fans deserved better.

• Jamal G. says:

How can you say they don’t care because they don’t hit w/RISP? What kind of philosophy is that? Just because someone is not performing the way you want them to, the reason behind it is the belief that they don’t care? Isn’t that highly unfair and irrational? Who are you, or anyone to say whether these guys are caring? How does one player show you they care and another doesn’t? What do you base that one?

You think the Minnesota Twins care about baseball more than any other organization in baseball just because they are excelling in some fluky ass stat like hitting with RISP?

• Jamal G. says:

Also, the Stadium has been a part of thirteen straight October seasons, what more do you want? How can people be so spoiled? THIRTEEN STRAIGHT appearances in the playoffs, yet people are complaining that they are missing one year? Are you kidding me? In those thirteen straight appearances the Yanks have won four titles, in the Braves’ run of fourteen straight appearances, they won one title. One.

Can people put things into perspective for a change? Seriously, just once can people appreciate what the Yankees have done instead of whining about one God Damn unfortunate season.

Unbelievable.

2. jose says:

as much as i want them to make the playoffs, i think that if they won the wildcard and played the angels and lost the first round, fans would be just as dissappointed as if they werent to make it

ben hit it on the head though so lets just sit back and enjoy the game regardless

3. Ivan says:

It has been a very dificult season for the yankees. Regular season has been below average, bad luck, the 08 draft wasn’t good and even the scandal with the dominican players and stuff didn’t help either.

Hey maybe 08 may bring some tears and fustration but remember guys we have seen playoff baseball since 95 and sometimes some things must come to an end. I still think the yanks can make a run but each day/lost is a shot to my confidence with this team.

All I gotta say is LETS GO YANKEES.

4. Andy In Rainy Daytona says:

Everyone who is under 25, be happy at what you have been able to witness in these last 14 years.
    The Yankees will be back, and unlike 1982, it will not take 13 years.

5. Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

I sat there at the stadium last night and when the wild pitch went by I said, “that’s the season” – and it was. That game is the season in a nutshell, a good bounce here, a timely hit there and we’re going to the playoffs. A wild pitch here, an error there, another choke by Alex and we’re not. (I am no longer calling him Arod, because only clutch players get kewl nicknames – not players who pad their HR total when it’s 10-1).
    When it was over, I said I never want to go back – I’ll see you guys at the new stadium. I need a fresh start. Bring on football.
    They won’t, but should release/put on waivers/give a pink slip and cab fare to all players whose contract runs out this year (like they should have done for Alex last year), and bring up kids in their place. It’s all about next year and the new stadium. This is from a guy who has alot of tickets left to sell for this year.

It was a nice run, old Yankee Stadium. You deserved MUCH better, and I’m sad and sickened about it.

-Scott

• Jamal G. says:

He carried this team to the playoffs in 2007 by his God Damn self. Or does that not matter? He has been one of the big reasons we are even in a sniffing spot of the postseason. Look at his numbers, he is the most productive player on this fucking team.

• Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

“He carried the team to the playoffs in 2007″…
        Can you say contract year?

…and what has he done ALL the other years he’s been here?

Is little ol Madonna distacting Alex…wahhhhh!

‘Nuff said….

-Scott

• Babe's Ghost says:

I’ve always been supportive of Alex, mostly because I try and be supportive of all the Yankees. But you have to admit that he’s been pretty bad post ASG.

Derek on the other hand, appears to have stepped it up, like he’s trying to will the team into the playoffs.

Yeah, it looks terrible and if I were going to bet money on it, there’s no way I’d say they’re not making the playoffs. But if there’s one thing about this team, they always seem to jump back up the minute everyone starts counting them out.

6. Ellis says:

Best post of the season, I completely agree! Let’s not forget why we love this game, amen. Thanks for reminding me, a 21-year-old spoiled yanks fan, that winning isn’t everything.

7. Shane says:

SIGN THE BIG 3……

….HUNDRED POUNDER

CC baby.

8. Ivan says:

I think this season shows how important Jorge Posada is. We an all complain about the contract but his presence in the lineup is huge as well as his leadership. I’ll admit I took Posada for granted at times but he really is a significant part of this team. If it wasn’t for A-Rod crazy season Posada was the MVP of the yanks last season.

9. Mike A. says:

Zack Greinke sucks … at not striking guys out.

• Baseballnation says:

for the season? Grienke actually been pretty good all season and has 137 K’s in 151 innings. And outside of the K’s he generates great movement on his pitches…

10. Ivan says:

Yo did ya guys saw what Team USA basketball team did to Spain? Just absolutely crush their asses. I told people before this team might be best team since 92.

11. Jamal G. says:

If anybody other than A-Rod did what he did in the ninth inning last night, would Michael Kay be a little bitch about it like he is now?

• Stryker says:

can anything happen with this team that WOULD make Michael Kay STOP being a little bitch about it like always?

can’t stand him. he’s stuck in that “the yankees need to win the world series every year mentality” like many fans and 20 somethings out there.

12. Mike A. says:

“Mitch Maier, we should mention that he’s no relation to Michael Bloomberg, rich mayor.”

That was the lamest Kay joke of the year.

13. Jamal G. says:

Michael Kay: “We should point out that Mitch Maier has no relation to Michael Bloomberg, Rich Mayor.”

Oh Michael, there isn’t enough insulin in the world…

14. Mike A. says:

Just so everyone knows, my Madden IQ is 528. That’s like, a 110 ERA+.

15. Ivan says:

It’s been a slow day today.

• Jamal G. says:

It’s kind of like the wake of the season. Everybody is not ready to say their ultimate goodbyes on the year, but it’s basically recognized this shit is over.

• Stryker says:

part of me wants the team to keep losing so they can get a better spot in the draft order, albeit the 09 draft is projected to be considerably weaker.

if i ran the yankees and they were still closer to last place than to first place when the rosters expand, i’d ask for all the hotter talent from the minors and just do some talent evaluating. give the regular starters a half day – maybe 5 innings or so, and let the kids play the rest and see what they’ve got to offer.

16. Mike A. says:

Peter Gammons told this story on BBTN. The ChiSox owner back in the day didn’t want to pay for all the extra pine tar his guys were using, so he pushed the league to make a rule that limited how much pine tar players could put on their bats.

And the rest is history…

17. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

i’m afraid i’ve gone over to the dark side

if this team isn’t going to make the playoffs … and i’d say that probability is less than 5%, then i want losing and *lots* of it

i figure we’ve got to finish below .500 to be guaranteed a bottom 15 finish … which is where we’ll need to be to secure a protected 1st round pick

we play today, we get one step closer to a high draft pick today

c’mon everybody … say it with me!

18. joe says:

Who would have ever thought sidney ponson would be remotely useful?

19. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

ummm. WTF just happened there? jeter never moved from the box. i thought interference mandated the runner being out?

20. Jamal G. says:

Let’s go A-Rod!

21. beezr says:

Strike followed by a double play.

22. Jamal G. says:

Two Sliders in the first three pitches with the bases juiced and nobody out in the fourth inning? Shenanigans!

23. A.D. says:

Bobby Meacham has gotten gun shy

24. A.D. says:

Not a strike, but pretty damn close

25. Jamal G. says:

Put it this way, if you’re not going to give him credit for coming through early in the game, you can’t be a bitch about him not coming through early in the game.

26. A.D. says:

these are your 2008 yankees

27. CJ says:

I’ve defended A-Rod forever, but I can’t hold out any longer. He’s a choke artist.

28. Stryker says:

this is why i hate michael kay. add this to the “when you get hit by a pitch, don’t you just want to cry?” line and i’m gladly putting the game on mute.

29. Mulls says:

why bat giambi and arod back to back they kill us in these big rbi situations..its clear now that we have to sign manny ramirez this offseason if only to usurp arod from being ”the guy” this lineup has to count on

30. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

we play today … we get one step closer to a protected draft pick today

i see alex and jason got the memo …

31. Jamal G. says:

Sidney Ponson: “Fuck you doing getting two doubles off of Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera?”

32. Ivan says:

Well that’s the 08 yanks this year.

Watch next season they hit like .290 in RISP.

33. A.D. says:

Figure all the “unclutchness” could turn around in a big way last year

34. A.D. says:

Ponson, back as a Yankee next year?

35. Ivan says:

Yo who’s the top players in the 09 draft.

36. Ivan says:

when ponson pitches well and you still lose, you must really suck on offense.

37. A.D. says:

5 spots away from a protected pick! that would be redic

38. Ivan says:

Nah come on. While the yanks may not make the playoffs, we still have to root for them to win man.

• Jamal G. says:

I still haven’t given up yet. I damn sure haven’t felt this bad about a potential postseason spot before, but I still think it’s not over. There’s still about six weeks left, a lot can happen. I know the 2007 Rockies and Mets don’t happen every year, but they do happen.

• A.D. says:

of course, especially since they probably won’t get the 15th pick and loose the pick from FA signings

• THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

well. besides that 8 game run to start the 2nd half, this team is 2 games under .500.

we’re going to play a lot of teams still fighting for the post-season. i can very easily see us slipping below the 15th spot.

39. Mike A. says:

I dunno about you guys, but I’ll be rooting my ass off for Moose to get 20 wins this year. The season looks bleak, but that’s a bright spot.

• Ivan says:

and Hughes pitching the rest of the season.

Think about this Hughes at 22 would be his senior season or the end of it.

• Jamal G. says:

Fuck what everybody says, this team is still one of the best in the Major Leagues. A fluky stat like hitting w/RISP should not determine that.

• Ivan says:

No Mass has been saying that all season.

Again next season watch them like .295 in that department.

I said it before it’s been somewhat of a fluky season.

40. Ivan says:

If the yanks don’t make the postseason, anybody gonna watch the postseason? I still might.

• Mike A. says:

I will, without a doubt.

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah, as much as I hate him, Josh Beckett is a beauty to watch in October. Also, I want to see what the Rays have to offer in October. Also want to see if the Twins can continue their bullshit w/RISP throughout October. The Cubbies will be an interesting story and I’m rooting for the Brewers.

My dream World Series will be the Rays and Brewers.

41. Mike A. says:

Ponson’s been rather impressive the last few weeks.

42. Mike A. says:

Heeeeeeeey, XBH for Gardy!

43. Mike Pop says:

If Ponson keeps this up will he be in the rotation next year ?

44. Ivan says:

Hey Jamal since your Blazers fan what are your expectation this upcomming year?

• Jamal G. says:

Jeez, have no idea. I want to see how Greg Oden’s body reacts in the preseason. LaMarcus Aldridge needs to cut down on those damn turnovers, a forward does not need to be turning the ball over on the wrong side of 1.50 per game. Brandon Roy is a fucking stud, but that chemistry between he and Oden needs to be created before anything can truly come to fruition.

I don’t expect us to have a lottery pick next draft, but I don’t think we’ll be serious contenders for the playoffs either.

I just want Oden to have a Dwight Howard type pace. Get used to the league, adjust for a couple years, then blow the fuck up. :D

• Ivan says:

I think the Blazers are gonna be good, maybe not as good as people want to expect but good nevertheless. The is cleary Greg Oden. I,ve said before he’s the most physically gifted C I,ve ever seen. Not just athelticism but the skill set (playing with a broken hand in Ohio State still killing with the left yikes)

Brandon Roy is just terrific. Hey may not be flashy but does everything extremely well especially his ball handling and passing ability which are very good.

45. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

does that mean i can’t call gardner Slappy McGirlyswing anymore???

46. Mike Pop says:

We freaken suck I cant defend our lineup anymore

47. Mike Pop says:

It really is pathetic to watch

48. A.D. says:

Paul Byrd was the last SP to make type B free agent last year, is Ponson potentially in that territory if he finishes this season strong?

• Mike A. says:

No way. Innings count for a lot.

• THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

i was just thinking about that … i really kind of doubt it … pontoon’s last couple of years have been AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL.

i don’t think 1 good year would be enough to negate that …

i’m no expert though …

49. Mike Pop says:

My hope for the resst of the season is cano picks it up hits well and Hughes comes back and pitches well and the same with joba.. also i would lik to see gardener show he is major league caliber…

50. Mike Pop says:

worst baseball team they had in years

51. Ivan says:

While there’s gonna be changes to this offense and should be, I thnk if you stay with the same players next season, their gonna put up much better #’s next season.

• A.D. says:

Yanks and the Tigers….watch out next year

• Ivan says:

Not with that pitching the Tigers aren’t especially if Verlander is not having an very good year. Can anybody see CC going to the Tigers?

• Mike A. says:

I can see it, but the Tigers are better off spending the $25M per to fill other holes. The can have all the aces they want, they aren’t winning with that pen.

• Ivan says:

True but it’s much easier to fix a pen than a rotation. Your not winning with Robertson, Rogers and it kills the Tigers that Verlander fell off somewhat this year

• Jamal G. says:

Hell no, the Tigers still suck next season. They probably did some damage to Justin Verlander by increasing his innings so rapidly. Joel Zumaya will potentially be a starter next season so that weakens an already putrid bullpen. Their offense (which got career years from Magglio Ordonez and Curtis Granderson, huge seasons from Edgar Renteria and Placido Polanco in 2007) just got a year older. Their farm system is almost baron.

Also, they are committed to Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, and Dontrelle Willis for years. That team is going nowhere fast.

• Mike A. says:

Edgar Renteria was a Brave in 2007…

• Ivan says:

I would go that far in saying there going no where fast. They still have alot of talent. What killed there season was the pitching and having a mediocre season from Verlander especially the start of the season. That said they need to improve their starting pitching and bullpen. Maybe Bonderman breaks out like we say every year.

• Jamal G. says:

I don’t think there should be any major changes to the offense. I do want Bobby Abreu and Jason Giambi to walk, but I can’t come up with a viable replacement for Giambi at First Base. Sign Rafael Furcal and put Derek Jeter at First Base? Play Juan Miranda in a platoon?

52. Mike A. says:

Another quality start for Ponson. Unreal.

53. Mike A. says:

At least Girardi’s learned that Marte is best used as a LOOGY. It’s progress.

54. A.D. says:

Did marte just yell to someone “Do you want to pitch”

55. Randy says:

i don’t trust bruney, who is allergic to strikes, in this situation.

56. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

hey! it’s Baba Bruney.

or perhaps his evil twin … BB Bruney

57. A.D. says:

Just how you draw it up

58. Randy says:

let’s build on this!

59. Jamal G. says:

Whoops!

Well they traded for a declining Edgar Renteria that had a huge season in 2007.

The Tigers are like the A.L. version of the Mets, the window is inches away from closing for years to come.

60. A.D. says:

lets go X

61. Randy says:

i can’t believe this. i probably should but i can’t.

62. Jamal G. says:

You know things aren’t going right when even X(BH) can’t get it going.

63. Jamal G. says:

I said my dream World Series this year contains the Rays and the Brewers (no Yankee picks, I’m too superstitious). What about you guys? Remember, your dream picks, not your projected picks.

64. Jamal G. says:

If Cano cared that would have been a Home Run.

65. Mike A. says:

Tony Pena Jr. continues to contribute to that -21.3 VORP, worst on the planet.

66. Jamal G. says:

If Brett Boone was the manager of the 2003 Red Sox instead of in the booth during the greatest Home Run of my lifetime, how do you think he would react at first? What about you guys?

67. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

SLAPPY MCGIRLYSWING!!!

68. Mike A. says:

Ramon Ramirez is guy the Yanks would like to have back right now.

69. Mike A. says:

B-Ref says Ransom has played a grand total of 25 games at first in his career, all in the minors.

70. Ivan says:

If LeBron James takes the GW shot 9 times misses 8 of them, you still give him the ball. So the fuck what if Mo is not doing well in non-save situations, you still give him the ball.

• Jamal G. says:

I think Kobe is the better example, but I get your point and I wholeheartedly agree. You can apply the same logic to Alex Rodriguez. I want him up there when the Yankees need runs the most.

• Ivan says:

Why is Kobe a better Example?

• Jamal G. says:

I love LeBron James, I think he’s easily the best player in the game. However, Kobe Bryant is a better shooter and he has hit the game winning shot time and time again. Kobe is closer to the Mariano Rivera equivalent in basketball than LeBron James is.

• Ivan says:

LeBron is a Beat. I love Kobe. I still think that he gets a bum rap with the Shaq crap. Sure he’s not as big as LeBron but Kobe’s skill set is still crazy especially his ball handling ability. It’s an amazing how people say dumb shit to put Kobe Down.

And the same people trying the to put Kobe Down are the same people trying to put LeBron down. Just watch.

71. THE Dread Pirate Roberts says:

uh oh. i think maybe veras got the memo …

72. Ivan says:

You know I was a Jose Veras fan but he really impress me this year.

73. Jamal G. says:

Do they have a nickname for every type of ball put into play?

My favorite one has to be when a batter tries to pull an outside pitch and he “rolls” his hands over. I think it’s Rex Hudler who says it in MLB 08: The Show, “Ham and eggs, roll ‘em over!” That one gets me every time.

74. Mike A. says:

When’s the last time Mo had a save situation, last game in Texas?

75. Ivan says:

What ever happen to Wilson Betemit plate Disipline?

76. Mike A. says:

That was Betmit’s first walk since July 19th, 45 plate appearances ago.

77. Ivan says:

Royals got a good BP.

78. Ivan says:

Nady got smoked.

79. Ivan says:

Yanks do their job as usual.

80. Mike A. says:

Wow, no Mo in a tie game.

81. TheFlip2k1 says:

watchin the yanks hit is like being trapped in a twilight zone… its like the whole world is playin a joke on me and im the only one that doesnt know… never been this frustrated in my life

82. Ivan says:

somewhat surprise Mo is not in the game.

83. Mike A. says:

Practice. Playoffs? Practice. Playoffs?

Hysterical.

84. Ivan says:

Good Job Edwar.

85. TheFlip2k1 says:

pudges mugshot on gameday is not very flattering…

86. Mike A. says:

Wow, why did Pudge just take off?

87. Jamal G. says:

Eh, take a chance, why the fuck not with the way the team has been playing.

88. Mike A. says:

Check out Brett Gardner with a .750 OBP today.

89. Ivan says:

Bunt with Damon?

90. TheFlip2k1 says:

for the sweet love of god can we score a run

91. Jamal G. says:

Why isn’t J. Christ in for Pudge?

92. Ivan says:

I would have bunted but understanable call.

93. Ivan says:

4-6-3 is up.

94. TheFlip2k1 says:

come on captain!!

95. A.D. says:

to be expected, gidp for jeter, on a pitch that probably was a ball

96. Ivan says:

The rally killer Derek Jeter strikes again. it’s been a while since he hit into a DP so he was due.

97. bklynJT says:

hhaaha… did anyone doubt that would happen??? I called it… strikeout followed by double play from Jeter. These yankees are so predictable.

98. Manimal says:

Just got home and turns out the game is blacked out(stupid saturday afternoon games)

99. TheFlip2k1 says:

i swear im in a twilight zone… the whole world is playin a joke on me

100. bklynJT says:

F this team. I hope they fall into the worst 15 records so that their first pick is protected.

101. Jamal G. says:

I really like what Girardi did that inning. Why automatically give up an out with your best hitter w/RISP at the plate? You would like to think Derek Jeter can be Jeter, but hey, shit doesn’t work out.

Michael Kay, shut your fat fucking mouth.

102. Ivan says:

Look at Cashman face.

103. Ivan says:

Im calling it, A-Rod walk off HR.

104. TheFlip2k1 says:

i like not bunting damon… i mean therye 4 for their last 685 with runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs… why would the 9th be any different? let ur best hitter hit… maybe he will ((gasp)) drive in a run!

105. Mike A. says:

Betemit walked twice in the same game? Wow.

106. Ivan says:

pinch run for Betemit with Christian. Try steal a base.

107. Ivan says:

This offense sucks.

108. Jamal G. says:

That couldn’t happen on 2004 because?

109. Ivan says:

Check out the line by Michael Felix. YIKES.

110. Mike A. says:

ZOMG MO’S IN TEH TIE GAME!1!1!

G.O.A.T. bitches.

What’s “G.O.A.T.”?

Also, what’s the theory behind TINSTAAPP? I know what it stands for, but I don’t get why people say that.

• Mike A. says:

G.O.A.T. = Greatest of All-Time.

TINSTAAPP is retarded, it was created to draw attention. The theory is that a pitcher is either polished and knows what he’s doing, making him a “pitcher,” or he’s still learning and is just a thrower. TINSTAAPP says there’s no middle group, you’re either a pitcher or you aren’t.

111. Ivan says:

instead of John buck, it should be John Suck.

112. Jamal G. says:

55/63-K/BB…As a pitcher! Nice 2.71-GO/AO ratio though.

113. Ivan says:

this ump sucks.

114. Mike A. says:

These extra innings are really cutting into my Madden time.

• steve says:

i know what you mean, this is killing my laying on the couch time

i have mlb.tv so i’m stuck in my computer chair.

• A.D. says:

gotta rig it up to the tv, thats what I did before I moved back to YES territory

• Jamal G. says:

How do you rig up your laptop to your T.V.? I can watch media files on my T.V. that are on my laptop via my PS3, but how can you watch stuff that aren’t saved to your laptop on your T.V.?

• A.D. says:

several ways depending on the TV/Computer that you have, regardless there’s usually a video out port or a s video cable on many computers, that can hook right into a tv (quality is a little less)

Nicer/newer TVs/Computers have HDMI ports or the tv has a port which is generally used to connect the computer to a monitor

• steve says:

ya i want too but i have crappy tv in my room, i gotta get extra innings next year.

115. Jamal G. says:

Can some explain to me why we are are owning the shot out of the fucking Kansas City Royals?

116. A.D. says:

When did David Robertson get called back up?

117. Mike A. says:

So one more inning out of D-Rob, then it’s down to Traber and Britton. Yikes.

118. Ivan says:

Yo Brian Cashman looks mad piss.

119. Jamal G. says:

Brian Cashman (in his best Darth Vader impersonation): “The force is weak in these bitches.”

120. Ivan says:

you could of did that last time Jeter.

121. “Jeter, a threat to run…stole his 8th base yesterday.” Yes, a threat to run. That ‘s why it’s August and he has only 8 swipes and 11 attempts. That’s right Michael Kay. Idiot…

122. Ivan says:

Lets go Abreu.

123. Ivan says:

Hit and Run?

124. Ivan says:

iight A-Rod.

125. Ivan says:

just a solid single A-Rod.

126. Jamal G. says:

I would issue the pass to A-Rod here if I was Trey Hillman. I know that sets you up for the sac-fly, but Wilson Betemit is a major strikeout threat.

127. Ivan says:

Please A-Rod don’t strikeout.

128. He’s taken some good hacks

129. Ivan says:

So far A-Rod is having a tough A-Bat.

130. eh, not the worst thing ever…

131. A.D. says:

At least it wasn’t a DP…chances are Betemit doesn’t come through

132. Ideal situation for me: Betemit walks again and the X-man gets the walk-off.

133. Ivan says:

I gotta say this, Fuckin Albert pujols would of gotten a hit there. I love A-Rod but’s true.

134. Babe's Ghost says:

Aparently Arod’s strategy for avoiding the DJ_GIDP syndrome is to not hit the ball hard. Show’s he’s thinking

135. Mike A. says:

Kay is hilarious. “I don’t get it, why let him take second? Diving stop by a middle infielder and it’s an easy force at second.”

If only diving stops were routine plays.

136. long lay-off–does D-Rob come back?

137. Ivan says:

Betemit patience has been good in this game.

138. Mike A. says:

Don’t tell me Betemit is going to walk 3 times in one game…

139. Jamal G. says:

Joel Peralta is an asshole.

140. Mike A. says:

Man, 2-2 and 3-2 changes … oof.

141. Stephen says:

I’ve realized that the best thing is to expect failure from the Yankees. That way, they can only meet or exceed my expectations.

142. Ivan says:

It was too good to be true for Betemit.

143. steve says:

i think the whole world knew betemit was striking out there … no way hes walking 3 times in 3 at bats

144. Jamal G. says:

Michael Kay, I intend to kick you in the nuts.

145. Mike A. says:

This game was 20+ innings written all over it. I just had to plug in my laptop for the second time during this game.

146. Ivan says:

Yo this ump strikezone is awful.

147. Ivan says:

Nice Chnage ups by Robertson.

148. Ivan says:

Im really impress by Robertson.

149. Imagine if Jose Molina comes in and hits a pinch-hit walk-off HR. It would remind me of Bubba Crosby c. 2005

150. steve says:

please end this game. i’m hung over as balls.

151. Jamal G. says:

According to BA, the Royals have also spent in excess of $10M on their 2008 draft picks. They join the Red Sox as the only other reported club.

I was one of those that believed the Royals drafted Tim Melville as a compensation plan if they were unable to sign Eric Hosmer. The fact that they signed both is nothing short of “UUUUUUGE”.

152. Soon I’ll have to watch the Favre and the Jets…damn

153. hey kay, wanna bunt pudge too?

154. Jamal G. says:

Brett Gardner, the only man who can win this game.

155. Mike A. says:

Walk-off infield double by Gardner?

156. Mike A. says:

Damn yo. I wonder if Votto is available, Jocketty loves trading kids for veterans.

157. Jamal G. says:

I love Gardner’s Plate Appearances.

158. Jamal G. says:

Brett Mother Fucking Gardner!!

159. A.D. says:

BG defines clutch!

160. Now THAT is clutch, bitches.

161. Mike A. says:

Gardner got on base 4 times that game.

162. A.D. says:

BG making his case to be the CF, very nice game today

163. Mike A. says:

That’s awesome, Justin Christian was the first one out of the dugout to congratulate Gardner.

164. Jamal G. says:

Hey, Seattle took the lead against the Twinkies. Things are looking up.

165. Ivan says:

It feels damn good that the yankees won today.