Aug

Joba on the horizon

Prior to the Yankees’ afternoon’s walk-off victory over the Red Sox, Joba Chamberlain threw 45 pitches off a mound, and if a batting practice session goes well, he hopes to return to the active roster in a week. The Yanks could really use Joba this season, but they more so need a healthy Joba beyond 2008. I’m sure the team knows what they’re doing with Joba and his valuable arm, but there’s a nagging part of me that would rather be ultra-safe than sorry. Meanwhile, I sure am glad I don’t have to face Joba during batting practice.

Categories : Asides

1. Bart says:

A good win – a great win — Giambi ascendant

but is there a plot to not only tease us over 20 games only to have kicked this season away but also to tease Moose with a 20game season only to kick that way 2 — he is sure is not geting timely run support

Next game it wil be 0 – o and Moose in the 7th at 110 pitches and out he wil come

2. bill says:

Giambi made me eat my words today. Jason Giambi beats the Red Sox 3-2

3. Jamal G. says:

So is it set in stone that he will be a reliever for the beginning part of his return?

• Mark B says:

Sure is sounding that way……not sure the thought process in this given how we want him to prepare for next year.

4. bill says:

Ooh, I made an off-topic comment. Anyway, I think Joba’s injury was merely a result of the Texas heat. David Cone said that’s what he thought it was becuase Cone suffered a similar injury on a hot night when he was pitching. I dont think they really should shut him down, unless they see a significant drop in his velocity. His velocity is why I think he sufferd a minor injury only, because the last pitch he threw in that game was 96 mph. Cone said if the injury was more serious, Joba wouldnt have been able to throw that hard.

• radnom says:

This really got a lot more interesting the 10th time you posted it. I didn’t think it could, but it found a way.

• jsbrendog says:

lol

• bill says:

Hey idiot, I repeated some of my points and added new ones. And for the record, Ive commented on Joba’s injury twice, not 10 times. So why dont you actually write some insightful comments for a change instead of crucifying me on my comments. Its sad you have nothing better to do then keep track of how many times I make similar comments

5. Sciorsci says:

If they’re confident that this won’t be a lasting injury, don’t they really have to get him back out there and get him some more innings this year? Won’t we be facing a similar scenario a year from now if they don’t (but shut down due to innings limits rather than injury)? Actually, even if they do get him back on the mound this year, they’re still likely facing innings restrictions again next year, but at least they’ll be able to get the training wheels off completely by 2010.

6. Steve S says:

They are being way too cautious. If they are willing to bring him back this year (when their contention is doubtful) that means that there was no structural damage. The kid stiffened up in the middle of 105 degree weather in Texas. I understand caution but I am starting to believe that they are taking an extreme approach to this. Injuries happen as evidenced by Cheng Ming Wang. I used to think arm injuries have two causes- 1) overuse 2) genetics BUT now I am starting to think it may also be a product of complicating the whole process by babying them.

Perhaps these extreme pitch counts and overreaction to tweaks is appropriate BUT guess what itching is an unhealthy process for the arm and there are probably few times in a successful pitchers career that his arm feels 100% or that their isnt some soreness or tightness. These kids have to learn somewhat how to deal with that. I understand the concept of gradually increasing innings from year to year because there is evidence that it can severely harm a player. BUT Im not sure what the purpose is sitting 22 year olds down for two weeks when they feel some tightness but come back two days later and say they feel fine and can throw and the MRI shows no structural damage. I get that tendinitis can develop into structural damage as it did with Jorge, but if the guys says he is fine and can throw (not like Jorge who still felt discomfort) and the medical tests say he is fine and its just inflammation then stop babying him. Let him pitch.

• steve (different one) says:

so your completely amateur opinion is that they are babying him?

what did Dr. Andrews tell you on the phone when you spoke with him? what did you see on the MRIs?

• Steve S says:

What did your completely amateur opinion tell you? I didnt speak to any doctor but I guess you saw the MRIs. I wasn’t responding to just sitting him I was responding to idea of shutting him down to be cautious because of the inflammation.

My opinion is that doctors cant accurately predict injuries or the prevention of injuries when the activity the person involved in is naturally unhealthy. They can treat an injury but this concept of a throwing program, was that Dr. Andrews or Nardi Contreras?

Steve, its okay sometimes the Yankees and those that work for them are fallible, I know that shakes you every time someone questions that but its true they aren’t perfect.

• JohnnyC says:

Pete Abe likes to call out Girardi for lying to the press. What the hell do you think Francona’s doing? Sugarcoating what could be the first step in Beckett getting TJS (meaning he won’t pitch again for the Sox until mid-2010 at the earliest). Now we’ll see if Beckett gets surgery the right way as well. No anaesthesia, dude.

• Jamal G. says:

Oh man, God forbid Josh Beckett needs TJS, but if he does, I can’t wait to see Fatty’s reaction. If Joe Girardi would have said Joba Chamberlain felt some discomfort by just “sleeping on his arm” and it turned out Joba needed TJS, PeteAbe would have a fucking field day with it.

• radnom says:

He won’t care. You guys know hes a Patriots fan right? He love Bill Belichek, who lies to the media all the fucking time. The only reason he bitches about Girardi is because he has to cover the Yankees and hes not Torre.

Isn’t Bellicheck’s standard procedure to list every one as “questionable” regardless of injury status?

7. radnom says:

I would rather see him pitch this year, if for no other reason than to keep his innings limit up for next year. If he were 3 years older with no limit I would agree yeah shut him down. I think they know they are done this year, there is 0 chance this move is influenced by anything except his health.

8. A.D. says:

Yanks know they’re pretty much out of it, they won’t rush job it, and Joba needs innings. Can’t wait to see him back.

Would they consider sending him to the AFL to get innings?

9. Ivan says:

If Beckett Needs TJS, talk about being fucked.

• Jamal G. says:

If Josh Beckett needs TJS then it proves God is a man. God doesn’t like dicks.

• Steve says:

From what I understand, a common symptom that can be a red flag for TJ surgery is ‘Bicep pain/tightness’. I haven’t read a single word that mentioned that yet.

That’s not to say he hasn’t experienced it, as most teams are extremely tight lipped about injuries (“Jorge’s doing fine”) But elbow pain and tingling in the fingers sounds different to me, in my 100% non-doctor’s opinion.

• “If Josh Beckett needs TJS then it proves God is a man. God doesn’t like dicks.”

Then shouldn’t Papelbon have had like 20 TJ surgeries by now?

On the dickometer, Paps >>>>> Beckett (or the rest of humanity, for that matter.)

• JohnnyC says:

It’s not like he was having a great year though. And I’m sure they can find some HGH to inject Byrd with somewhere in the clubhouse. If they haven’t already.

10. Jamal G. says:

The proximity of his stupidity has just gotten way too close: http://www.bostonsportsmedia.c.....-to-boston

• Ivan says:

Murderer’s Row:

Mariotti, Shaughnessy, Ryan and Marriot and Gammons.

This team has a chance to score a billion stupid and ridiculous comments.

• Steve says:

I’m sorry, but Shaughnessy and Gammons are two of the best sportwriters around today. Especially Gammons, who is probably too talented to be working sports in the first place, unlike wanna-be’s who have tried to expand their horizons like Mike Lupica and others. Gammons may be the best daily sportswriter alive, I can’t think of one better.

I know they tend to repeat many things the BoSox front office say, but that’s part of their job. When we get info about what Cashman thinks about something we don’t consider that propaganda, but when they do the same thing in Boston we accuse them of being in the tank. Its just not fair, and it only exposes our own bias and lack of understanding of the media biz when we say things like that.

BTW-Mariotti and Ryan are bloviating hacks.

• radnom says:

Sorry thats where I stopped reading. Even the Red Sox fans i know hate Shaugnessy.

• Steve says:

Your loss. If you only read local writers or ones that you agree with, you end up with a one sided opinion and no appreciation of how the rest of the country views us. But by your response I’ll guess your not even curious. Gammons is only in the HOF, which is voted on nationally by other sportswriters. The people who do it for a living think he’s one of the best around.

So tell me, what is your idea of the pinnacle of sports journalism?

• I poke fun at Peter Gammons, but he’s still a good reporter who frequently has valuable things to say.

Dan Shaughnessy is an assclown. The first word he spoke was his last intelligent one.

11. Ivan says:

This is Why I think Sweeny Murti is the best yankee beat reporter. For the simple fact that he tries to explain things rational. He tries to understand things before commenting on it and he’s cool and not trying to be a know it all.

I use to love when Murti would argue with Mike and Mad Dog, when Mike and Chris would scream for “not making sense” and being “inrational”

• Steve says:

Sweeney is OK, especially to add some pro-Yankee balance to that show which can be a non-stop anti-Yankee drumbeat even when Mike is there solo. And he is one of only two Yankee fans on the whole station. But hey, its the Mets station, what do you expect.

But Sweeney often just repeats (as the truth) whatever Girardi or the front office has been saying about things, and thats not exactly good journalism. A good journalist shouldn’t take sides either way, they should gather as many facts as possible from all sides involved and simply report them. He generally doesn’t do that. He’s like most beat reporters, lazy.

• Ivan says:

I think he’s cool. Unlike some journalist (cough Pete Abe Cough) at least he’s the type of guy inrationally shit on specific things and brings some common sense.

• Ivan says:

“he’s the type of guy who doesn’t inrationally blame shit on specific things”.

• Steve says:

That’s fine, I’m not knocking you for it. Again, I understand he can be an oasis of pro-Yankee perspective on a station that almost always views the Yankee glass as half empty. But its just not good journalism.

But then again, most sports writing isn’t.

12. JohnnyC says:

Sweeny and Kim Jones both went to Penn State. Jones graduated a few years before Murti. Kim’s closing in on the Big 4-0.

13. pat says:

mariotti and boston are a match made in heaven

if becks needs tj, sox go after cc?