Aug

Open Thread: September call-ups

A week from today, 25-man rosters will be eligible for expansion. Anyone on the 40-man roster can be called up and played just like they were on the 25-man. It’s one of the more exciting times of year for prospect nuts, who can get a chance to see some players who are close to seeing big league playing time.

The Yankees cannot afford such a luxury this year. They’ll call up players, for sure, likely after the minor league playoffs conclude. From these additions, however, the Yanks will be looking for production. They can’t afford to stroll out scrubs during the final month of the season, where they’ll hopefully be scratching their way to a 14th consecutive playoff berth. If you can’t help, there’s a seat for you on the bench, in other words.

The question is, who do you think will have the best chance of helping the team down the stretch? Can we get some useful relief innings out of Scott Patterson? Will Al Aceves make his way onto the 40-man? Can Phil Hughes right the ship in time for prime time?

Categories : Open Thread

1. Manimal says:

I could tell you after this series with boston. If we sweep and are serious Playoff contenders as a result, I could see maybe Coke Aceves and Hughes called up. If the yankees lose 2/3 call up everyone who has a chance, play them just too see how they react to to major league pitching and start next year knowing everyone has some experience in the majors.(By everyone I meant maybe 8-10 people)

• Ed says:

I’d be very surprised to see Coke. He’s only in AA and got moved to the bullpen because he was approaching his innings limit. If they had any plans of calling him up, I think he would’ve at least had a few relief appearances in AAA by now.

• bill says:

Uh, he did have relief appearances in AAA. A ton. And Girardi mentioned Coke by name when asked about potential call ups

2. Yanks26 says:

I could see Juan Miranda given a shot, once Scranton is out of the playoffs. Justin Christian would be given a slot, for pinch running purposes. I’m not so sure that Coke or Aceves would be given a slot on the 40 man roster. Unless Kennedy or Hughes turns things around, they will probably not be called upon. Chase Wright, might be called upon to replace an ineffective Rasner.

• Ed says:

I believe Pete Abe said that when Kennedy was most recently demoted, he was told what to work on and that he would given another shot in September.

3. Batty says:

Maybe Wright as a long arm reliever – how close is Giese? Same for Hughes if he strings a few decent starts together.

Would like to see Shelley get a few more at bats, Melky too – see if he can end on a high note. When he came up originally he was terrible, sent down, got better, came up and was a savior. He was working out with A-Rod at the beginning of the year and mashing – if he got soft partying it up with Cano that would explain a lot, he might just be able to salvage a little bit though I’d also like to see Gardner get more at bats. After the playoffs it would be good to let Juan play the outfield for the 8th and 9th in comfortable games to give him some exposure.

• Chris says:

“IPK – maybe I’m vindictive but I don’t think he should get a callup at all. Those comments weren’t just a flub, it shows an attitude pattern that needs to change and skipping him would be one way for that happen.”

Or you could do the intelligent/mature thing and sit him down and tell him it’s more important to lie to the media and give them bland quotes than to be honest.

Also, I’d like to point out that he basically said the same thing that Melancon said, but IPK gets crucified and everyone praises Melancon.

• Jamal G. says:

IPK: “I’m not happy at all with my outing. Even though you don’t feel good, you’ve still got to produce, and I didn’t do that.

“I’m frustrated with myself tonight.”

“I wasn’t throwing strikes. I’m more frustrated that I was trying to get ahead of guys, and you can’t execute your plan when you don’t. When it comes down to it, I didn’t do it.”

• Batty says:

Yeah, I got the leadoff hitter on quite a bit, but got out of it in the second inning. I’m not too upset about it. . . . Even on their singles, like, what, ground balls? So, that’s not a big deal.”

“A bunch of singles and three doubles or so. I’m just not real upset about it. I’m just going to move on. I’ve already done that.”

Those comments after getting hammered. That just says entitled. Yeah, he’s first rounder and it’s OK to be confident but when you have a stinker like that you can’t just say they hit mostly singles and only three doubles.

Yes he has some learning to do and I think he’ll be part of the rotation for years to come. However he needs to learn NOW how to be a major leaguer and a Yankee, making him work a bit for it isn’t such a bad idea.

• Chris says:

You know, sometimes guys are going to get a good pitch and hit it far, but you can’t worry about that. You have to worry about what you can control, and that’s throwing my pitches well.

Of course the words are different, but don’t they say the same thing? There are times you get the snot hit out of you even though you pitch well. I think people are just pissed at IPK because of the results, and his post game comments are just a convenient excuse…

• Batty says:

I’m not pissed because of the results – I expected him to get hit every once in a while and learn to ‘pitch’ instead of throw. I was pissed Girardi didn’t have two long armed relievers knowing that it was very likely either IPK or Hughes was going to get knocked around at the beginning of the year and have a little bit of a backup.

• You know, most of the best professional athletes are horribly self-obsessed and hold a personal opinion of themselves that ranges somewhere between “I’m the greatest player ever” to “I’m a bulletproof immortal god who should be worshiped.”

It’s not a bad thing, it’s basically a prerequisite for greatness. What do they always say about relief pitchers (and football cornerbacks, and basketball jumpshooters, and goalies, etc. etc.)? You have to have a short memory?

Pro sports requires confidence. Unflappable confidence. Part of being confident in yourself is being able to minimize/rationalize/dismiss/ignore failure. ESPECIALLY in baseball, a sport STEEPED in millions and millions of tiny failures every year.

I have no problems with anything IPK said. I want all my Yankees to be entitled, arrogant jerks. The best players are.

4. steve says:

I’m sorry to plug my blog, but I just posted a lengthy post about this.

yankeesmtom.blogspot.com

5. D.B. says:

everyone that has major league experience and miranda, maybe cervelli

6. Viasistina says:

Lets get real here guys..Anyone and everyone who can help..Shelley..a right handed PH, some extra arms in the pen. some speed and defensive help (Melky) in the outfield…we can afford it…cram them in…

• Chris says:

I remember shots of the bullpen last September… I don’t think there were enough seats for everyone.

Any warm body can help – even if it’s just to eat some innings or ABs in a blowout.

• parms says:

let’s recall what that oversized bullpen did for us last year down the stretch

• Mike A. says:

Hey, if one of the callups gives a good inning in relief, it’s worth it.

• Chris says:

It’s worth it even if they take an inning away from a good guy in a blow out. If it prevents the manager from doing things like sending his ace who’s an impending free agent out for the 9th with a 7 run lead after already throwing 110 pitches, then that’s a good thing.

7. A.D. says:

like to see Miranda, he’s crushing righties down in AAA, and the yanks should try and see something from him, as could make a bid difference in going after Tex this offseasons.

Mainly we’ll see
    JC
    Moeller
    Patterson
    Strickland

then figure, cause theyre on the 40 man
    Cervelli
    Wright
    Hughes
    IPK
    Miranda
    Shelly
    Melk

Figure Hughes and IPK will be called up regardless of what they do, worse case theyre just with the big club and work out, and the one exception might be Marquez, just cause he’s had a shitty year

• steve (different one) says:

i’d like to see Miranda get some ABs b/c i am curious, but i really hope that he doesn’t factor at all in their decision to go after Teixiera.

8. Joey H says:

isnt it just going to be pitchers that actually get chances? the lineup is packed to what its going to be until the end of the season.. correct? how about that meloncon guy? lol im not good with the minors but reading your threads teaches me alot. that aveces guy has faired well. and that guy knotos, hows he been?

9. Mark says:

What about Mark Melancon, he seems to have the mentality to be in the majors. I would like to see what that kid is made of. I would also want to see Phil Hughes, Chase Wright, and Phil Coke get called up.

• Mike A. says:

My only concern is all the innings he’s thrown. I’m not sure how much he’d be able to contribute, and if it’s even worth adding him to the 40-man before he would need to be.

• steve says:

its not worth putting him on the 40 man just for one month is it ? plus doesn’t that start his arbitration clock early ? meh.

• Count Zero says:

Right. Lots of innings (albeit efficient ones) and you don’t want to start the clock on him yet.

Melancon will get a shot to make the big league roster next spring, and even if he doesn’t will probably find his way onto the 40 man fairly quickly. But I would be very surprised to see him in September.

10. Mike A. says:

Juan Miranda was pulled from tonight’s game in the middle of the first for no apparent reason…

11. D.B. says:

hey mike,
    why is jason heyward a better prospect than jesus montero?

12. Geno says:

I’d bring up starters Kennedy, Hughes, Igawa and Wright; Relievers Patterson, Strickland, and Jackson; Bats Carson, Miranda, Christian & Moeller.

13. MD says:

looks like Karstens has come back down to earth……

14. Baseballnation says:

Ask anyone and it’s pretty neck and neck with Montero VS Heyward, although I have heard a couple of people slightly favor Heyward more because of thet’re doubt that Montero can stick behind the plate. That’s odd though, and in my unbiased opinion Montero has outperformed Heyward Offensively and out of the Catcher’s spot that’s huge.

• Mike A. says:

I don’t think you can see either player has outperformed the other, all their rate stats are pretty much the same. Heyward’s like, 3 months older.

Heyward’s tools are just so much greater.

15. Vin R. says:

Christian’s a lock. with a staff that has shown the tendency to blow up from time to time their gonna need some more pitchers, id like to see chase wright back up here. aceves and strickland are likely also.

16. Steve says:

Big night for Ian Kennedy tonight

IP 5.0 H 3 R 0 ER 0 BB 1 SO 8

Don’t stop, believin . . .

17. Steve says:

I’d call up all the top prospects to let them get an idea of what they’re working towards. Montero, Melancon, Betances, Brackman, Z-Mac, Sanchez, A-Jax, Heredia, etc. Let them get a taste of the big leagues, plus you never know what they might pick up from the veterans or coaches.

• Kyle D. says:

Considering Brackman is on the DL still, I have a feeling he won’t get a call up.

Actually, calling up any of those guys outside of POSSIBLY Melancon is probably a bad idea, especially the 18 year olds (Montero and Heredia).

• Steve says:

Why?

The Yanks called up Jeter and Posada years before they ever played with the team. I’m not talking about playing them, except maybe in late innings of a blowout. Just let them hang out with the pros.

• steve (different one) says:

yeah, i don’t think this is a terrible idea in theory.

the problem is that most of those guys aren’t on the roster.

• Jamal G. says:

Didn’t they call up Jeter and Posada in 1995? Since Jeter played his rookie year in 1996 and Posada in 1997, I don’t see how you can say they were called up “years before they ever played with the team.” so emphatically.

• Jamal G. says:

Also, it’s a bad idea because you have to make room for guys on the 40-man roster.

• radnom says:

Not to mention we are still in a playoff race. That list of guys there is one that, for the most part, doesn’t have a shot in hell at contributing this September. So you are going to clear 10 spots on the 40 man roster to give them a one month tour of Yankees Stadium? Give me a break.

• Steve says:

Guys can travel with the team who aren’t on the roster, genius.

• radnom says:

You said “call up” . Don’t insult me just because everyone pointed out how silly your idea was.

• Kyle D. says:

Agreed. Calling people up is different from having them travel. Have everybody travel, whats the difference? Calling people up actually, you know, matters.

• Steve says:

Try rereading what an asshole you were in your first response, and then you might find my ‘genius’ remark was actually pretty tame.

I don’t come here to start fights, but apparently you do. Oh well, the internet is full of losers who don’t know how to have a civilized debate.

• Kyle D. says:

Wow, and referring to someone as an “asshole” and a “loser” within the same post is somehow civilized? Hows the view from up on that ivory tower?

• radnom says:

……..
                  Thanks for backing me up Kyle, but I find it is usually best not to feed the trolls.

• Chris says:

They may bring some of the young guys to the stadium, have them sit in the dugout and meet the major leaguers without putting them on the 40 man. I thought they had done this with some guys in the past to give them a taste for ‘the show’ even if they aren’t going to be playing.

18. Steve says:

As far as the guys who I might use, I would take Hughes and Kennedy, Aceves, Chase Wright, Melky, Chad Moeller, Justin Christian, and Shelly Duncan just for old times sake.

19. steve says:

from chad jennings:

“Juan Miranda unexpectedly left tonight’s game in the middle of the first inning, but I’m hearing that he simply got dizzy for some reason. Doesn’t sound serious, but I should know more after the game.”

there goes any chance of a trade. heh.

20. Ed D says:

mike:

why is chase w not looked at as a major league prospect instead of an org guy

21. Pops says:

burnett prefers the bronx according to realgm.com

22. E-ROC says:

IPK
    Hughes
    Marquez
    Patterson
    Wright
    Christian
    Melky
    Cervelli

Those are the guys that should be called up. Duncan and Miranda would only serve as pinch hitters. There aren’t any players on the roster to pinch hit for.

23. Pops says:

trade ipk

24. Jay Howroyd says:

Mueller, Christian, and Strickland & maybe Traber right after September 1st. You can always use another catcher (Jorge would go on the 60 day to put Mueller back on the 40 man); you can always use a pinch runner (but I hope JC does not (a) fall down or (b) get picked off in key spots); you can always use another arm or two for the bullpen.

Melky, Shelley, IPK, Hughes, and Miranda after playoffs are over… The first four because they have been up before and Miranda to give him some big league experience (even if they don’t play him).

25. Jay Howroyd says:

Chase Wright deserves it as well

26. Pops says:

sturtez jus went in for dodgers lol

27. Bonos says:

Hey. anyone hear anything on Lianora a CF the Yankees apparently signed today

28. josh says:

really upseting how well tabata is doing. this organization is feeling cursed lately

• Steve H says:

A little early to say that. The guy has had a few good weeks in AA, and Nady has raked ever since we got him. Where’s the curse?

29. Old Ranger says:

I don’t think anyone not on the 40 man should be called up. Cervelli would have been the back-up for Molina. So; Miranda, Melky, Cervelli, Shelley, Phil, IPK and Giese (if ready) could be called up. If we are out of it, they will get some playing time, if not they won’t. 27/08??

30. Dan says:

I have to agree with the more obvious choices; For Hughes and IPK, who have dominated the minors, bump them up as spot starters/long relievers (at very worst they get an inning here or there, and might give them a chance to work on pitching with RISP, something Hughes hadn’t seen much of before his MLB debut last year); Chase Wright and Victor Zambrano both deserve auditions for the 4th and/or 5th SP role…Zambrano is at least an experienced major league pitcher, and though no ace he may be as good an option if not better than ponson and rasner…and comparing the numbers Wright put up last year in the minors and this year is like comparing night and day. there’s no question that it wouldn’t hurt the yankees to have one more lefty in the pen (long reliever at worst), and if you give him a start by start audition, i think we’ll find that he’s more effective than either ponson or rasner; clearly melky needs to be called up. although he’s just not the player we want, his defense is clearly an upgrade over the current OF, and maybe (doubtfully) he’ll turn it around right away…at very worst he’s a role player to preserve late innings leads with improved defense; Strickland as a reliever seems to be another no brainer, he’s put up great numbers with RISP and it never hurts to have fresh arms on the bench.

But how about Matt Carson? i haven’t heard (though i was too lazy to actually look) anyone really offer him up, but he’s another Righty bat that plays well against lefties. he hasn’t looked good in august but its a possibility for a line up that all in all hasn’t hit well against lefties.

31. Steve H says:

If Zambrano can throw strikes they way he’s throwing them in the minors, he can help this team. His downfall was always his control, he was more maddening to watch than Dice-K (but without the luck). If he can keep up his control in the majors, and if we’re still challenging for a playoff spot, I’d like to see him get the call. And just imagine if he could do anything to help put us in the playoffs, how the Mets would feel. Even better, how about a Kazmir-Zambrano matchup in the ALCS (not that I’d like our chances), but just to stick it to the Mets, whose bullpen will have their season over by then for sure.

32. josh says:

i know they are still very young but hughes and kennedy are kind of looking shot. it seemed like last year our minor league system looked great, while it still looks good it has definately taken a step back. wang hurt, joba hurt, hughes injury prone and to be honest really not looking like the prospect i thought he would be. i hate to sound ridiculous with the “cursed” comment, but except for montero, melancon and kinda ajax the organization is kind of looking down. it looks like we should have made a better attempt at dice-k and we should have gotten santana. santana – matsuzaka – wang – joba – pettitte- moose – in hindsight that probably gets us #27

• Steve H says:

Get off the ledge!!

• Dan says:

I don’t think you can just say Kennedy and Hughes look shot; Hughes skipped a major step in his development to go straight to the majors and guess what; he’s still under 22 and in the majors? you can’t expect him to be Santana right now. Kennedy is going through some growing pains, he was never expected to be a #2 or #3. I think it’s important to keep Hughes down for a little bit even next year, and To keep giving Kennedy experience out of long relief in the majors.

And to say our overall system is looking poor?

Melancon
      JB Cox
      Heredia
      Betances
      Brackman
      Sanchez
      Whelan

Montero
      Jackson
      Gardner
      Vechionnaci
      Angelini
      Cervelli
      Romine

We have a very rich farm system especially in pitching, we just need to improve our position prospects…sure, we don’t have a longoria, or a wieters, etc etc, but we are far from cursed….we have to be in the top ten for farm systems.

• bill says:

I’m not as high on Angelini as some of the guys on this website are and I dont think Marcos Vechionnaci has done anything to warrant being listed with those other guys, but I do agree with you that the Yanks farm system is rich and certainly among the top ten in baseball (BA ranked the Yanks system somewhere in the top 5 this year – I dont remember where).

• Dan says:

Vec – He’s had a slow start to his career, but remember, he’s only 22 years old. he was raking in AA before his injury and he’s still raking in Staten Island, as expected. Baseball America called him our 7th best prospect, so he’s definitely up there with the other guys;
        Angelini – Just Turned 20 and he’s down in low A. he may not be doing much right now but remember this is his first professional season. I’ll bet he turns it around next year

• Kyle D. says:

Putting 250+ million into Santana and Matsuzaka is NOT something I would ever consider reasonable. Matsuzaka is having a good year, but it also ridiculously lucky considering the amount of base runners he allows. I think he’ll be an all-star sporadically through his career, but nothing franchise breaking.

• Dan says:

Forget Santana Matsuzaka, Joba Petitte moose; how about our next year possible rotation; CC, Wang, Joba, Petitte, Moose; with Rivera, Robertson, Veras, Bruney, Ramirez, Cox, Melancon all in Bullpen; on top of that, Hughes, Kennedy waiting in Triple A, McAllister and Betances probably headed to AA, and Sanchez, Brackman both rehabbing….Sanchez will be done rehabbing but will likely have to start in low A, but i would not be surpised to see him move up to AAA by season end at least. Anyone else think that with the abundance of SP and the fact that sanchez has two solid pitches (And not much more) that he could be a better candidate for the Bullpen in the future, maybe a dd to the list of future closers that we are trying to farm (i.e. melancon, cox, robertson)?

Anyway, thats something to be excited about….with a cast like that, forget abuot #27, thats enough to get us 27, 28, and 29 maybe!

33. Bonos says:

Wilkins De La Rosa will make you forget Johan, LHP mid 90 heat. Motoring through Tampa as we speak.

• Kyle D. says:

Also WAY old for his league.

• bill says:

WAY old is a little strong. He’s a year old for the league cuz the Yanks had him playing OFer for a few years and they converted him to pitcher when they realized he couldnt hit. If he started out his pro career at pitcher, he would be in at least AA right now. So knocking him for being old for his league isnt very smart. And who cares how old you are if you eventually get to the bigs and produce. I wouldnt care if he got to the Yanks when he’s 30 if he pitched well.

• Kyle D. says:

It’s not a matter of when he makes it to the bigs in regards to his age. Its a matter of being older, more experience and more physically mature than the people you’re playing against all of which are likely to help you peform better than the competition. Although, I do take your point about him just getting moved to pitcher from the OF.

• “Wilkins De La Rosa will make you forget Johan.”

I actually did laugh out loud at that.

34. Steve H says:

umm, i can be a homer with the best of them, but seriously?