Who’s the biggest tool on the Yanks?By
Baseball America has just released its ever-popular Best Tools list, and while the entire lists are for subscribers only, we’ve got the Yankees and where they fall:
- As expected, A-Rod pops up the most: He’s been voted the AL’s best hitter and second best power hitter. He’s also got the third best infield arm, according to the folks who participated in the pool.
- Bobby Abreu earned himself the second best strike zone judgment award, sitting just behind Kevin Youkilis.
- Derek Jeter is the AL’s third best hit-and-run artist and the third-best defensive short stop. Make of that what you will.
- Robinson Cano is the league’s third best defensive second baseman.
- Jose Molina was voted the third best defensive catcher, falling one spot behind current Yankee Ivan Rodriguez.
- Joba Chamberlain has the AL’s third best fastball, behind the Mariners’ Brandon Morrow and the Tigers’ Joel Zumaya.
- Mike Mussina’s control is third-best in the junior circuit.
- Andy Pettitte still has the league’s best pick-off move.
- And finally, Mariano Rivera is the league’s best reliever. Bet you never saw that one coming.
The Yankees clearly have the tools, according to those who play and watch the games. Too bad they don’t yet have the wins to go along with it.