Sep

AAA Game Thread: The Bricktown Showdown

It all comes down to this. After a grueling 144-game regular seaspn and all sorts of playoff craziness, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees face the Sacramento River Cats in tonight’s Bricktown Showdown to crown the undisputed champion of Triple-A baseball. Sacramento won the whole schabang last year, so the path to victory is not going to be an easy one for the Yanks.

On the mound for the good guys is Ian Kennedy, who drew the assignment after asking Dave Miley for the ball. You gotta love a guy who wants the ball in the biggest game of the year, I suspect we may see some great things out of Mr. Kennedy tonight. Kevin Russo & Ramiro Pena have joined the team as reserve infielders, and Chase Wright will be available out of the bullpen. Once IPK does his thing, we’ll probably get a peak at Mark Melancon.

Chad Jennings broke down the matchup position-by-position, and will bring you the same great coverage from Oklahama that he does from Scranton. The game is being broadcast on ESPN2, so if you’re sick of watching meaningless Yankees’ games, check out one that matters.

Categories : Game Threads, Minors

1. Joe says:

Looks like Pena worked his way into the line up.

• matty says:

Kevin Russo should have played over pena, thats for sure. He led trenton in batting average, even with two stints on DL. This kid will be up soon for the Yankees, playing infield or outfield. He gets the job done at every level

2. [...] « AAA Game Thread: The Bricktown Showdown 16 09 2008 [...]

3. Mike Pop says:

What time does the game start cuz college football live is on right now

4. Mike Pop says:

is the opposing pitcher a solid prospect

5. E-ROC says:

Get yo popcorn ready!

6. Aaron says:

Why are the stands so empty?

7. E-ROC says:

Nice double down the line by Miranda.

8. Knox would have an excellent hook if he could through it for strikes.

9. E-ROC says:

Matt Carson is such a tease.

10. zzzzz says:

i watched this game for 5 minutes and heard the announcer say kennedy was a lefty, and just now he said the yanks catchers name instead of the other teams.

11. Ivan says:

Time for some IPK.

12. usty says:

Is anyone else bugged by that humana sign behind the plate? I keep losing the ball in it and it’s pissing me off.

13. Ivan says:

IPK struggling with his command.

14. giselle says:

the scranton yankees’ uniforms look just like the white sox’s away uniforms.

15. E-ROC says:

IPK is not looking good right now.

16. BigBlueAL says:

IPK looks like the same shit to me.

17. Brett says:

i just turned the game on for five minutes, and i was reminded why i hate ipk

18. greg says:

Kennedy will never be able to perform in the clutch.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Gavin Floyd was the number 4 pick in the 2001 draft and was the “next big thing” as a 22 year old in 2005. He had a 10.04 ERA in 10 games that season. Tonight, as a 26 year old in 2008, he’s beating the Yankees, has a 3.75 ERA and is pitching meaningful games for a team in playoff position. I’m not telling you IPK will pan out, but it’s unreasonable to say he “will never be able to perform in the clutch.” He may, he may not. You have no idea.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Correction, he’s now 25. My bad. Doesn’t affect my point.

• BigBlueAL says:

Have u seen Floyd pitch tonight and the stuff he has compared to what IPK throws???? Floyd is a much better example for someone like Hughes, not IPK.

• Steve says:

IPK is about having 4 pitches and commanding all of them well.

He’s a pitcher, not a thrower. I know some people think you need to throw 95 MPH to be successful in the bigs, buts its simply not true.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

First of all, I agree with Steve. It would be nice if IPK could throw 95, but his lack of mid-90s heat doesn’t mean he can’t be a successful MLB pitcher. As far as the reference to Floyd, I just brought him up because he’s pitching tonight against the Yankees and he’s a guy who a lot of people, including the Phillies organization, gave up on a few years ago. In that comparison obviously I was referring to results as opposed to stuff. Kennedy is a guy who has had success at every level short of MLB. It is absolutely impossible for anyone to say, on September 16, 2008, that Ian Kennedy will never see success in MLB. I’m not saying he’s destined for greatness, but he’s a 23 year old guy who has been very successful at every level but MLB. My only point was that you can’t write him off right now, at this point in time, and I don’t really see how that’s an arguable point.

• BigBlueAL says:

Im not writing him off. I just dont see why we should be excited to watch him pitch in AAA. Thats my point. Why should I get excited to watch this guy pitch as if he will be an ace in the future. He isnt Hughes or obviously Joba. He is no different to me than someone like Aceves, or Karstens was.

• greg says:

He’s shown me tonight he’s not gonna be a clutch performer. I think he can be a good 5th starter but no better than a 4th. Today he gives up 3 runs in the first inning of a championship game that’s a terrible sign.

19. Bryan says:

Has kennedy scrapped his mike mussina bow when there are runners on base or is ESPN2 just not showing it?

20. BigBlueAL says:

Honestly, I think the problem is, at least for me, is this site has continually stuffed IPK down our throats even though what I see tells me he is a borderline 4/5th starter at best. I mean Aceves has better stuff than IPK from what Ive seen yet he is considered a 6th starter/long man. Which is probably correct. To me IPK is the same thing, a Darrel Rasner type, yet we are supposed to hold on to him and have patience. For what?? Pitchers like IPK you can find all over the place. If he wasnt a 1st rounder, nobody would give a crap about him.

• Maybe you’ve been part of more rancorous conversations regarding IPK than what I remember, but I don’t think IPK’s advocates were “shoving him down your throat” as much as they were reminding people that he has great promise and that many good pitchers struggled mightily early on.

Many good pitchers looked like 6th-starters or long men at the beginning of their careers. You call it “stuffing”, other people call it historical perspective.

• BigBlueAL says:

I call it as seeing a 23 yo who barely throws in the upper-80′s. Or Darrel Rasner.

• And the people who have the opposite opinion that you do would like to point out that millions and millions of people have “called it as they see it” on hundreds and hundreds of other 23 year olds before Ian Kennedy and been wrong.

• Steve says:

“So fine, you “call it as you see it.” Just know that there’s still a good chance that you’re wrong and IPK becomes something, much to your chagrin.”

The worst position I can ever be in as a fan of a team is rooting against my own guys. I try to avoid it as much as possible, it ruins my enjoyment of the game.

• BigBlueAL says:

Not if it means giving a pitcher starts when he doesnt deserve it. Why should he get a chance over someone like Aceves????

• Steve says:

Because his secondary pitches are better than Aceves. He is therefore a more complete pitcher, with more weapons to go to if one of them isn’t working. I like what I’ve seen from Aceves, but until the league adjusts to him and he adjusts back we really don’t know what we have in him.

To be fair, I will give Aceves big points over Ian in one area. He is totally fearless. That could be decisive for him, especially in the fishbowl of the Bronx. But IPK pitched in HUGE games at USC, so I don’t think he’s a shriveling coward, either.

• greg says:

I am finally beginning to agree with this point of view

21. Aaron says:

These announcers are horrible. And I never realized how scrawny Miranda is. I always thought he was a much broader guy.

22. Steve says:

Any of the IPK bashers want to give him credit for bouncing back beautifully in the past 2 innings? Or the 2.35 ERA he posted in AAA this year?

He has a bad first inning and he “will never perform in the clutch” and he’s “shit”. Amazing.

23. E-ROC says:

These announcers are clueless.

24. Thomas says:

Did the announcer just say that baby was “hot” and then say “they can never be too young”? Creepy!

25. Is it me or is Eric Duncan way too skinny?

26. Mike A. says:

IPK’s been flat out dealin’ since the first.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Oh please, spare us. I saw that first inning and this guy is never going to be any good. He should retire.

• Mike A. says:

So the first inning means more than the 4 that followed it?

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

No need to convince me… Look a few inches up the page. Sorry, should have added some “!!11!!1!” for effect.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

No worries, just hurt my feelings a bit. Comment was a little too dry, especially since there are people here tonight making similar comments and meaning them.

• BigBlueAL says:

Look up the page would be referred to me I assume. Your damn right I aint and never will be convinced. But thats the thing, I dont have that high of an opinion at all about IPK and Im an idiot. Whatever, to each their own.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Dude, chill. I was referring to me, not you. I never called you an idiot or anything of the sort.

• BigBlueAL says:

Nah dude trust me I aint mad or anything. I love this site and most of the people here, especially the guys who run this site. I just dont like how for some reason IPK has a halo around his head and if you do say you dont think he has a great future you get killed. I am not so loyal to prospects just cause they are Yankees prospects.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I agree that you should be able to say you don’t think IPK has a great future. I’d just caution against writing him off so early in his career. Whether I agree with the person being attacked or not, it drives me nuts when commenters shout down a dissenting opinion (when that dissenting opinion is, at the very least, reasonable). So, yeah, no offense intended by anything in our conversation and I’m glad there’s none taken.

• Steve says:

Oh yeah. He clearly had some issues with his command in the first, but its been 5 SO in the past 4 IP. The WP should have been scored a passed ball, it didn’t even bounce in the dirt. It was off the catchers glove.

In any case, his night is probably done at 96 pitches. He had one bad inning, and was great otherwise. Nice to see him be able to gather himself and settle down.

• Lanny says:

95 pitches in 5 innings in AAA and we should be congratulating him???

Please. He should be dominating these hitters rather easily if he was the type of prospect everyone claimed he was.

27. 27'Yanks says:

Anyone know his pitch count threw 5?

28. 27'Yanks says:

By hit hard I mean depleted with injuries/call ups

29. Lanny says:

Kennedy is just a nice #5 starter. Not someone we should have held on dearly to. Cashman couldn’t see that?

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Who says Cashman “held on dearly?” What do you mean? Do you know of a concrete trade offer that was made that Cashman turned down because he couldn’t part with IPK?

• Jamal G. says:

Of course he doesn’t, he has no idea what he’s talking about. The only trade offer that included IPK that was made public was during the Johan Santana sweepstakes. The deal that included IPK also included Chien-Ming Wang, Melky Cabrera and another low-level prospect.

Yeah, Cashman is a real moron for not pulling the trigger on that deal.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Dude, maybe Lanny has some real inside info for us. Why so cynical!? This might be a coup for RAB. (jk)

30. Mike A. says:

Uh oh, H-Rod is in…

31. Jamal G. says:

Real nice rebound by Ian Kennedy.

32. greg says:

Who is Mark Malancon?

33. Jamal G. says:

Isn’t it just a tad bit amazing that Mark Melancon has his full velocity back?

34. Jamal G. says:

Efficiency for the mother fuckin’ win.

• Steve says:

That was my first look at MM. You can see why the Yanks love him so much.

No bullshit, goes right after hitters and throws quality strikes. Hitters are half beat the minute they reach the plate.

• giselle says:

yup. he works really quickly. now i believe the 19 pitches for his 2-inning stints.

• Steve says:

There’s no point in taking pitches, he doesn’t try to get you out with garbage out of the zone. Goes right after you, puts the hitter on the defensive. Here it is, hit it.

Guys like David Wells pitched into their 40′s with that approach with fairly average stuff much of his career. Everyone doesn’t have that kind of control, but those that do can be very effective. MM has plus stuff, he’s a keeper.

35. Mike A. says:

Ex-Yankee Brett Prinz in for the 9th.