Sep

By George, I think we’ve got it’s starting to look like a Stadium

That’s one hell of a Jumbotron, ain’t it?. WCBS has a gallery of photos of the ongoing construction at the New Yankee Stadium, and it looks like it’s really starting to come together. The massive cranes have been replaced by the tiny work vans of small-time subcontractors, and piles of dirt have been replaced by the makings of a future field. While I am sad to see the old place go, I am pretty excited to see the new digs. Assuming I can afford to get in, of course.

(h/t/ LoHud)

Update (1:55pm): Fans will be allowed to walk on the field during a three hour “open house” prior to the Sunday’s game. Great stuff.

Categories : Yankee Stadium

1. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

That picture has an optical illusion that makes the outfield look like it’s built on a hill.

2. Yank Crank 20 says:

YES! So sweet

3. Aaron says:

For the record, I’m jealous of any of you who are not only going to get to go to the final game on Sunday but who will also be able to walk on the field beforehand.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

We’ll take pictures to share with the class.

• usty says:

It’s great and all. But field access is through monument park, so the line is going to be insanely long to get down there. Then add on the fact that you’d have to get there ridiculously early, and there’s NO re-entry, you’re looking at spending close to 11 hours in the ballpark by the time the game is over. I don’t know if I could handle that. I was planning on getting up there around 5:30.

4. Pete says:

I thought the big “YANKEE STADIUM” lettering was supposed to go out in right field.

• Pete says:

BTW, the “walking on the field” bit doesn’t sounds as impressive as I thought it would be. It’s the same access as if you were taking the Stadium tour.

It’s not like you get to run the bases… ;-)

5. Jen says:

Yay!. And according to Pete’s blog bleacher ticket holders can go onto the field too!

6. Chip says:

I get to go in and help final installation of the video board as well as the LED displays that will ring the stadium. Be jealous, very jealous

• steve (different one) says:

wow, that is awesome. did you install the ones that ring the current stadium? i think those were new 2-3 years ago, right?

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

That’s pretty awesome… Can you take nice pictures from that vantage point, or is that not allowed (or just not feasible since you’re working and not there to have fun)?

• Mike A. says:

Are you kidding? If Chip’s in a union he’ll have PLENTY of time to take pictures and stuff, with all those breaks and downtime they get.

;)

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

You’re going to have a 30 ft. tall inflatable rat outside your apartment building tomorrow.

• hahah, that damn rat was across the street from my wife’s old building in Co-op for months on end last year. Everytime I’d see it, I’d think of Cosmo Kramer and his campaign against the Postal Service.

GEORGE: Why is the mailman wearing a bucket?

KRAMER: Huh? Well, it symbolizes our persecution.

GEORGE: Then… shouldn’t you be wearing the bucket?

• Chip says:

My company installed the ones there now I believe but I wasn’t here at the time. And I’m an engineering intern so I can’t say I take the nice long union breaks :D

I’ll try to get a few pictures and send them to you guys (if I can sneak a camera in that is).

I have to say though, I also worked on doing the Kansas City display and this one is going to be much cooler

7. Will says:

Do you have to have tickets to walk the field on sunday, or is it open to the public?

• Mike A. says:

You need tix. I know, I already got my hopes up. Bastards.

• TurnTwo says:

via lohud:

Only fans with valid ticket(s) for Sunday’s game will be admitted and there will be NO RE-ENTRY. Bleacher ticket holders who would like to visit Monument Park should enter the Stadium through Gate 2, 4 or 6.

Fans and media are also reminded that Sunday’s game will NOT be the final event at Yankee Stadium. A ceremony will be held at a later date this fall to celebrate the Stadium, details will follow.

8. yankeefan91 says:

wow thats a very big screen i hope its lik the royals high defintion that will be hot

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I don’t think the Yanks have the kind of juice that the Royals have.

• Chip says:

The Royals’ video screen is 100 by 85 feet while the Yankees will be 58 by 103 feet. It’s not quite the same but keep in mind the Yankees will also have two 24 by 65 foot boards in center field showing just the lineups, player info, out of town scores, ect. On top of that, we’re putting a 1280 foot ribbon board lining the upper deck which is right up there with the largest ones we’ve ever done.

9. [...] « By George, I think we’ve got it’s starting to look like a Stadium 19 09 2008 [...]