Sep

Calm before the playoff storm

Triple-A Scranton‘s regular season is over. They take on the Pawtucket Red Sox in the first round of the playoffs starting tomorrow. Chase Wright faces Charlie Zink in Game 1, Ian Kennedy takes on Devern Hansack in Game 2.

Double-A Trenton‘s regular season is over. They take on the Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox) in the first round of the playoffs starting tomorrow. Eric Hacker faces Kris Johnson in Game 1, while Jeff Marquez draws Clay Buchholz in Game 2. Mike Ashmore broke down the matchup, and also talked about the Trenton-Portland rivalry.

High-A Tampa‘s season is over, they did not qualify for the playoffs. You can find Florida State League playoff coverage here.

Low-A Charleston‘s season is over, they did not qualify for the playoffs. You can find South Atlantic League playoff coverage here.

Short Season Staten Island (3-1 loss to Hudson Valley)
Ray Kruml (11), David Adams (3), Brian Baisley & Mitch Abeita (19): all 1 for 4 – Kruml K’ed … Adams scored a run & K’ed … Baisley drove in a run & K’ed … Abeita K’ed thrice
Dan Brewer (8): 0 for 4, 1 K
Jack Rye (13): 2 for 4
Mike Lyon (24) & Kelvin Castro: both 0 for 2 – Lyon doubled & K’ed … Castro committed a fielding error & K’ed twice
Taylor Grote: 0 for 3, 1 BB, 1 K
Jon Albaladejo: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 3-0 GB/FB- rehabbin’ … picked a runner off first … they really missed him as a long man, take away that one outing against Detroit, and his numbers are ridiculously good
Cory Arbiso (22): 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 8-6 GB/FB
Andy Shive (35): 1 IP, zeroes, 2-1 GB/FB

The Rookie GCL Yanks’ season is over. The GCL Phils won the league championship.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. D.B. says:

phil hughes is nice.

2. Alex K. says:

Any chance Montero sees AA playoffs or is he done for the year?

3. A.D. says:

Alby, just another reason the pen will be stellar next year

4. NYFan50 says:

You happen to hear anything about CoJo? Hasn’t played in like 10 days now.

5. Jamal G. says:

Is it me or does Joe Girardi have a little fro-hawk going?

6. Lancer says:

Any chance the Yanks send Joba to the AzFL (according to your last post about it, they still have two open pitching spots)?

I really want to see him get his innings up, or else it would be a huge setback in terms of him having to be severely shortened in his innings cap next season.

• Mike A. says:

I suppose they could, I’m not sure if they would though. He does need to get his innings up too.

• Ben K. says:

I don’t believe Joba’s eligible for AzFL. But I’m not sure about that.

• Lancer says:

Do you have a way to verify that? I remember there was some discussion about it earlier on one of the DoTF threads.

• Jamal G. says:

He is, just my a smidgen though. Rules state that by August 31st, no player eligible for the AzFL can have more than one year of Major League service time. Joba Chamberlain made his MLB debut on August 7, 2007 and played his last game, until tonight, on August 6, 2008. That’s exactly one year, exactly at the cutoff line for AzFL eligibility.

• 27 this year says:

I think the DL time counts toward service time.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I read somewhere that they changed the eligibility requirement so that players with less than 2 years MLB service time are eligible. Sorry, hate to post this without a reference, but I just can’t find it right now. Can someone confirm or dig up the 2008 AzFL eligibility requirements that I can’t find?

7. Jamal G. says:

You know, David Wright isn’t having a stellar season w/RISP either, where’s all the bitching for him?

8. Steve says:

Mike, how long for a new prospect list now that the season has wrapped up? I’d love to see some update on who ranks where.

Some new profiles would be much appreciated as well. I’d love to see a Brett Marshall, CoJo and Jeremy Bleich profiles.

• Mike A. says:

I’m not going to post another list until next year, right before Spring Training. I like to wait so I can include new prospects acquired in trades and stuff.

The profiles will start after the World Series ends. I’ll get to all the major ’08 draftees, and probably one or to for guys that have been in the system for a while.

9. yankeefan91 says:

no update wen jb cox pitchin mike?

10. Steve says:

Think its about time the Yanks told Cano to stop playing winter ball?

11. Ivan says:

You know what I just learned, that Al Pacino is older than Martin Scorsese who’s 65. I don’t know about you guys but I thought scorsese was older than that like in his 70′s.

12. J.R. says:

So looking at the schedule if Giardi keeps Mussina on schedule every five days (granted this messes with some other guy’s schedules) he could have 5 more starts….

13. Manimal says:

Whos injury was first, Bruney or Albaladejo’s? He was pretty good, that was a decent trade cashmen made for clippard…? I forget who it was but he comes to mind.

14. JohnnyC says:

This season has seemed so long and tedious that I forgot all about Alby. what little we saw of him was pretty impressive.