Sep

Melky in the minors, for now

The Sept. 1 roster expansion has come and gone, and for now, Melky Cabrera, once the Yankees’ starting center fielder, remains in the minors. Ed Price checked in with Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman on the state of Melky, and two Yankee officials are saying the same thing. “There’s not playing time for him right now so he might as well keep playing and improving,” Girardi said. In AAA, Melky is hitting .333 but with just two extra-base hits and a .778 OPS. At this point, the Yanks may have to address center field during the off-season as well.

Categories : Asides

1. Stryker says:

“I just don’t want to bring someone (up) to sit.”

oh yeah? brett gardner’s been doing a good job of that since he was recalled.

2. MD says:

who are the off-season candidates for CF, and please don’t tell me Mike “swing and miss” Cameron……

• Reggie C. says:

Is Mike Cameron a FA after ’08? I thought the Brewers had a team option on him, which they should exercise only b/c he’s still very good defensively and he could still grind out a very good Slg %.

• steve (different one) says:

they do have an option. i’d be surprised if they don’t pick it up.

if they don’t, the Yankees should jump on that.

who cares if he strikes out a lot? he’s good for about 60 XBHs.

maybe the Brewers will pick up his option and look to trade him.

• Get ready for the suckiness, courtesy of MLBTR’s Free Agent list (ages in parentheses):

Rocco Baldelli (27)
      Willie Bloomquist (31)
      Mike Cameron (36) – $10MM club option for ’09 with a $750K buyout
      Jim Edmonds (39)
      Jerry Hairston Jr. (33)
      Gabe Kapler (33)
      Mark Kotsay (33)
      Corey Patterson (29)
      Scott Podsednik (33)

I also looked at the RF’s and LF’s to see if any of them could theoretically man CF if needed… and the answer is no. When the best defensive OF in the leftfielder class is Emil Brown, you KNOW the rest of those schlubs are absolute butchers.

3. Yank Crank 20 says:

i really wish we had jumped on the torri hunter train last year

4. Manimal says:

Where is Miranda? I thought for sure he would be up.

• radnom says:

He is on the 40 man. Maybe they just want to give him a chance to play in the playoffs he worked all year to get to, as opposed to having him come up here to ride the bench. I would expect to see him sometime in September.

5. When you’ve got well reguarded minor league pitching prospects, the world is your oyster….

-Scott
    Proud Sponser of RAB :)

6. radnom says:

Take a chance on Baldelli. Pleaseeee

• I wholeheartedly agree.

• Sean McNally says:

The problem with Rocco is his medical history. The most recent malady is that weird mitochondrial disease, which saps energy and messes with body chemistry.

I’m not sure you can bring a guy like that in.

• Ben K. says:

I think you could bring in Rocco, and his early returns this year are fantastic. But I think, considering his medical history, that if you do bring in Rocco, you need a plan 1B instead of just a plan B. The backup has to be nearly as good as Baldelli could be. And that doesn’t mean going if not Rocco, then Melky.

• Reggie C. says:

No Rocco. I dont think he’s hit 40 at bats yet. Of course he’s psyched out right now .. he’s barely played in 3 years. If he got hurt and missed another 100 games next year, heads would roll. Its too big a gamble and we’ll then revert to Gardner or Melky. A-jax wont be ready to go till at least late ’09. A-jax’s numbers dived this last month.

I’d rather the Yanks get creative and swing a trade for a CF. KC’s Dejesus could be available. How about Kennedy for Dejesus?

• Jamal G. says:

What big gamble? He’s not going to be getting any major deal, there’s no way his agent can justify asking for anything more than two guaranteed years.

• Reggie C. says:

Baldelli is essentially Rich Harden. Alot of talent but always rocking some sort of sling. For a team that needs a stable CF, it’d be downright criminal to tease Yank fans with a player who’ll UNDOUBTEDLY get hyped but who could miss another 100 games due to another weird ass mitochondrial / cellular breakdown.

• ChrisS says:

Dejesus ain’t going anywhere for anything less than Joba. He’s locked up through 2012 on a dirt cheap contract.

• steve (different one) says:

The backup has to be nearly as good as Baldelli could be.

right.

but if they had a “backup” nearly as good as Baldelli, they wouldn’t need Baldelli.

it’s going to be hard enough finding ONE starting CFer, let alone 2.

• radnom says:

The mitochondrial disease isn’t the latest in a series of maladies, but rather the root CAUSE of the previous inexplicable series of injuries/illnesses. It took them this long to diagnose it but they think they have a good treatment plan for it. Maybe it will work, maybe it won’t. But if it does, the team that takes a (relatively minor) risk by signing him this off season will get a lot of value. I don’t see any reason why the Yankees can’t take that risk.

• Nobody sees a good reason why they shouldn’t take the risk on Baldelli, because the rewards is definitly worth it.

All Ben (and I) are saying is, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Good ol’ Rocco Dan hasn’t played 150 games in one season since the beginning of the American Occupation of Iraq. Even if we bring him onboard, we still probably need another addition to the outfield (or we need Melky/Gardner to be surgically implanted with Ted Williams’ cryogenically frozen eyeballs) to be safe, because we’re not necessarily out of the medical breakdown woods yet with Baldelli.

7. JimT says:

Melky could still be a decent fouth outfielder on a good team. Yankees need a lot more tha a fourth outfielder.

8. mustang says:

If we want to bring up IPK why not Melky he would only be on his first chance.
    LOL

9. Brad K says:

I think we’ve seen enough of Melky. Leave him be until he can be moved.

10. Reggie C. says:

What would it take to land David DeJesus? I’d trade Kennedy + Gardner for DeJesus. I’d keep Melky on as a 4th outfielder. Unless Cash thinks that Melky’s too damn immature to handle permanent demotion to the 4th OF slot, then we should just hold onto him. Melky has zero trade value.

• Rich says:

Sure, you’d trade DeJesus for Gardner and Kennedy but why would the Royals do that?

• steve (different one) says:

probably more than Kennedy/Gardner.

i don’t think Gardner has much trade value, especially since the Royals already have their own Brett Gardner in Gathright.

DeJesus has a ridiculously affordable contract. he’d probably be pretty hard to pry away from KC.

11. Mike A. says:

Man, I’d be all about Baldelli. Go with Melky/Gardner/Damon as Plan B, and let Rocco play CF say 3 out of 5 games. The kid’s a stud, and still has his prime ahead of him. How often do you get a shot at that for nothing but money?

I’d do 2/10 with a ton of incentives (say another $10M total) and a vesting option based on games played.

• radnom says:

Yeah man. Especially considering the other options out there unless you want to trade some young pitching.

You could bring in a corner outfielder and then having Damon play center (which could be nice insurance to Baldelli), but at the same time the corner outfield markets isn’t exactly spectacular either. Besides Damon in center is not ideal.

• steve (different one) says:

agreed. i know his family is from Rhode Island, so i wonder if the Sox are thinking the same thing.

might not be so easy to sign him.

• Ooo. I hate vesting options–there are some guys good early in their contracts who start to suck and there’s no other way but the option to vest (Posada ~2004, I believe, or Kevin Millwood, etc.)

• Mike, I’d be down with that… but if Baldelli does anything, ANYTHING at all in this postseason and stays injury free though december, somebody will probably come in with an incentive-free guaranteed money deal that trumps that. Remember, he’s the only “good” CF option on the market.

So the question is, how far into a bidding war are we willing to go with this? Is 2yr/15M too much for a guy with only 174 big league AB’s the past two years? Is 3yr/24M too much?

• mustang says:

I agree with the Baldelli move, but him staying healthy is the key.
      I would take the chance the upside is too good.

12. dkidd says:

if rocco has a “mitochondrial disease”, what does melky have?

13. The un-dog (Mr Mike’d up) thinks Jeter should be going to center…

-Scott

• Sadly, that’s probably the least dumb thing he’s ever said.

• Reggie C. says:

Jeter at CF. Okay. Lets role with that for a sec. Do you then move A-rod back to SS and go make a trade for Garrett Atkins to play 3B ?

• JohnnyC says:

You’d probably have to acquire a shortstop since ARod won’t want to hear fans mockingly chant, “past a diving ARod.” Seriously, Alex can’t play shortstop anymore at a GG level. And I have my doubts as to how durable Jeter would be in CF. The other thing Fatcesa said today was how Cashman wanted to replace Bernie with Albert Belle. Talk about revisionist history. As I recall, it was a matter of money (Boston offered more of it) that almost chased Bernie away and it was Torre who famously let it be known that he could “handle” Albert Belle in the event Bernie didn’t return. At least Mike has refrained from waxing nostalgic about Torre.

• Geno says:

Why can’t Rodriguez play SS anymore? Have you seen him try lately?

• E-ROC says:

His size. A-Rod will have the same problem Jeter has: range. Plus, A-Rod hasn’t played SS in years.

Besides, the Yanks need some grit at short: David Eckstein. LOL, I would be pay money to see Eckstein throw across the diamond.

14. Nick Nolan says:

It’s not Melky’s Fault! I am not giving up on the Wild Card for 2008 just yet! But I will say, the pitching in 2009 looks infinitely better than it does in 2008 and that reason tied in with the pitching of say a Tampa and/or Boston has me thinking that last game of the year in Yankee Stadium might spell the end! I am a 7 year season ticket holder now with the Bombers but when I was offered tickets for next year I jumped on the idea of selling my last game ever at Yankees Stadium tickets for nearly a grand total: http://www.esellout.com/Result.....8;venid=68 So my loss was a gain as well! I am set for 2009 when the stars are lined up and Jeter and Jorge rebound with the refreshed and healthy staff!

Let’s Go Yankees! But if we can’t win…I hope The Rays pound the $#!t out of Boston!

15. Bruno says:

IPK & Gardner & Britton? for Salty & Marlyn Byrd

With Hamilton, Bradley and Cruz, Texas only needs needs to fill LF with one of Murphy,Gardner, Boggs etc. They don’t need Salty with Laird, Teagarden and Ramirez. They could use the pitching, and the “highly-rated-but-underperforming-prospects” in
    IPK and Salty match up well.

Sign CC & Dunn