Oct

Bowa remaining with Dodgers

I wasn’t expecting him to come back anyway, but at least now it’s official: Larry Bowa isn’t coming back to coach third. Joe Torre’s entire staff will remain in LA, so even the possibility of a Donnie Baseball return goes out the window. Another potential third base coach also came off the market today: Mike “Leggo my Eggo” Gallego will coach third for the A’s. I think the Yanks should just slide Tony Pena over to third and get a guy like Luis Sojo to coach first, but what do I know.

Categories : Asides

1. GG says:

I know Bowa is pretty good but he’s not a miracle worker. A good 3b coach should never even be heard from or referenced if they are doing their job. I think we’ll survive with Pena or someone else.

2. GG says:

Hughes got hit hard tonight.

There is no chance Atl trades Hanson.

3. MikeD says:

MikeA…MikeD agrees. Pena knows the players and is a total pro. Move him to third base. We could then bring in Dale Sveum to take over at first if we’re looking for another quality coach. He was let go by the Brewers, but he has a great reputation.

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame says:

Dale Sveum is a horrible coach. Worst 3rd base coach I have EVER seen. Worse than Willie or Luis at third and that is saying something. Willie was the worst I ever saw in a Yankees uni, and I was a fan of Willie as a player but he was a horrible coach and not a great manager with the Mess.

Bowa is one of if not the best I have ever seen at 3rd. Us not getting him back is a loss. Pena I would believe could do a good to great job. Part of getting Bowa back was to get him to get Cano RIGHT again. Dale Sveum is a total maroon, no way do I want him on this teams staff.

I am going to say this in advance. We lose bad in 09′ its Donnies time to shine. Donnie as manager, Bowa as third base coach with Pena as bench coach.

4. DonnieBaseballHallofFame says:

Also another knock on Dale Sveum, for those of you who do not recall him as the Boston 3rd base coach. All Boston fans will. He got guys gunned down in 2004 more than I have EVER seen in baseball. The worst. If this idiot is on the Yanks staff in 09′ you have to question who is hiring the staff.

5. Philvano says:

Would have loved to have him back but I never really expected Bowa to walk out on his contract. That would be pretty low and a bit of a slap at Torre.
    If we liked him for the job we should have made sure he stayed but obviously Giardi wanted someone else.
    Water under the bridge – Sojo has an energetic attitude and I think he would be a great fit 1st or 3rd.

• Old Ranger says:

Sojo would also put a fire under Cano. More then that, Sojo is a good baseball man, he knows the little things that make a player a little better.
      Sojo at 1st or 3rd, would work for me…players with limited talent learn the little things that make them a professional ball player in the show for many years. I actually think he would fit nicely at 3rd base. 27/09.

• steve (different one) says:

not entirely true.

the yankees offered him the chance to stay. he went with Torre.

6. Manimal says:

Wow gerrit cole sent me a message back on Facebook.

7. Joey H. says:

Sojo would be a great fit. Hes a great man. His father was born blind i believe and i once heard a story when his father passed made sure he played that same day or the day after and when asked why, he said because this is the first day that my dad can actually see me play. It was perhaps one of the most touching stories ive ever heard.

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame says:

Great story. I recall that one too. I like Sojo a lot. But he is a terrible third base coach.

• Joey H. says:

wasnt the idea to move pena to third and louie to first?

• Old Ranger says:

Bad 3rd base coach? You garnered this bit of insight from where? Just asking, because I haven’t seen him as a liability at all. 27/09.

• Joey H. says:

Thats beside the point ranger, luis will in all likely hood be a 1st base coach, this guy didnt pick up on that apparently.

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame says:

I guess you do not recall him being the 3rd base coach before? I know there is talk about him being the 1st base coach in the media (more so the blogs), but that does not mean he would get 1st base coach job just because Pena has been here the last few years.

All this comes down to the wrong moves were made after Joe Torre left. Mattingly should have been made manager, Bowa at third, Pena at first or bench coach and we would be good.

Whats the over under on Joe G’s lifespan as manager if they come out of the gate slow next year?

• steve (different one) says:

Bad 3rd base coach? You garnered this bit of insight from where?

uhh…he was the 3B coach in 2005. and DB is right, he was just as “good” as Meacham.

• DonnieBaseballHallofFame says:

Meacham was not very good. Bowa is the best in the game. If you do not think base coaches are important why does it matter who we get then?

• Old Ranger says:

2005 was a long time ago, people do learn as they progress through the minor leagues. Sometimes a player like Sojo, makes decisions as if he were playing and what he would do in a given situation…wrong thinking!
            I think I would go for Pena as a bench coach but, not Mattingly as Mgr., not yet…in fact I was suprised (a bit), Pena wasn’t named bench coach. 27/09.

8. Joey H. says:

Not to mention, Louie was probably the best bunter in yankee history and anyone who followed the yankees in the 90′s knows that. In 91 or 92 with the angles i think didnt he have something on the upside of 20 sacfrifices? He can teach guys like robbie and others to lay down a quality bunt.

• JeffG says:

Great point.
      Like O Ranger said above – he was good at the little things. Our players, especially the young ones like Robbie, need some schooling that Sojo would be a nice fit for.