Oct

From the ‘You Don’t Say’ Department

The headline on Ken Davidoff’s Saturday column: Mets deeply regret letting Kazmir go to Rays. You don’t say. Next, Ken’s going to write about how most Americans deeply regret those subprime mortgages. Did we really need an 800-word article with that headline?

Categories : Asides, NYC Sports Media

1. Jersey says:

What’s going on with the site? Homepage looks all screwy when I navigate to it. Like it’s one of those “under construction” cyber-squatter sites, until I click on the link to a specific post.

2. stewman23 says:

Newsday article to come, after an aaron small-like 10-0 stretch next year, ‘Mets deeply regret letting Victor Zambrano sign minor league contract with Yankees’

3. JeffG says:

Totally agree. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the article… No shit Sherlock sprang to mind.
    How about for amusement, seeing this article isn’t much to comment on, thinking of moves that we regret.
    The ones I think of (outside of Santana – cause no one wants to talk about that anymore) is Kevin Brown, Vladimir Guierro, and Carlos Beltran.
    The first two I was really pissed at right from the get go. The last, I was thinking would be nice but the Yanks can’t pull everyone (following the same lines as the Onion article recently linked to).
    Just think how much better off we would have been and still would be if Beltran was in center and Vlad in right. Another ring? If we would have found a better alternative to Brown I’d say more than likely.

4. JeffG says:

Also linked here:

This article’s title is “Burnett May Not Want To Be A Yank” – Post – Another piece of BS put to paper.

Hmmm let me think… Sabathia says he doesn’t prefer the Yankees and the $ amount that he expects us to over-bid to put him in pinstripes goes up like oil in the summer. From what you read Cashman has a 30% premium placed on his head… hmmm…
    Now if other FA’s wise up they do the same song and dance… wow …Hurry up AJ – do the dancing bear! Good job.
    And to boot a disclaimer from the brilliant agent “…we’ll see if the Yankees are interested”.

5. thisisthedavid says:

Lol I remember when i first hear about that trade.

I was at a sleep away camp so I surely though that everyone had the wrong zambrano.

Couldn’t believe my eyes when i saw it was victor. ahahah

Being the young lad I was I believe i even questioned all my baseball knowledge when i heard about this one. But that was a short lived thought ahah

6. christopher says:

hope we don’t see the same article 5 years from now about the trade that wan not made

7. Slugger27 says:

in other news, the yanks regret trading jay buhner for ken phelps

8. aaron empty says:

This is hilarious, slow news day, huh?

9. Phil McCracken says:

I’m guessing this is here to avoid talking about the Sherman Phil Hughes article.

• Matt M. says:

or maybe it conters Sherman’s argument.
      Keep Hughes like the mets should have kept Kaz … FTW~!!!1!11!!!!!!!!111!! (lol)

• Ben K. says:

That is the stupidest article ever. Sherman’s thesis: If Hughes doesn’t pitch well in the AFL, the Yanks should have traded him when they could have. Well, duh. I’m glad Sherman gets paid to write such drivel.

• Mike A. says:

He’s 22. If he had gone to college and been drafted after his junior year in 2007, he would have finished 2008 in Double-A at best.

• Jamal G. says:

Dude, have you seen his Gameday picture? He looks like a bad-ass. With the glasses and the goatee, he just looks ready to own the hell out of some unsuspecting hitters.

• Phil McCracken says:

Yes he’s 22, but the focus of the article is he’s not even as good as his peers anymore. Guys like Hanson and Scherzer are near major league ready and scouts are saying Hughes is making no progress. In fact his mechanics are even worse and he doesn’t even have two major league ready pitches.

Those are huge red flags, whether he’s 22 or 42. Coupled with the fact that he hasn’t been able to stay healthy for two straight years at 22 years old is another frightening issue.

• Mike A. says:

The grass is always greener on the other side, ain’t it?

• Ivan says:

I guess young pitchers are not allowed to struggle anymore.

• Phil McCracken says:

You’re not concerned at all about that? Just continue to chalk it up as “he’s 22 and he’ll be fine”.

• Ben K. says:

How’s Gavin Floyd doing?

• Phil McCracken says:

I’m not saying to give up on him and throw him away for Victor Zambrano.

What I am saying is that there should be a little bit of panic with the Yankees to fix mechanic problems with Hughes and get him focused on working on another pitch.

The rotation is still in shambles, and the longer it takes Phil Hughes to get on track the older A-Rod and Jeter get.

• Jamal G. says:

get him focused on working on another pitch.

That is exactly what they are doing, yet you are still complaining? He is working on his Changeup and Cutter, ignore the damn results.

• Phil McCracken says:

The last thing I care about is statistics in the AFL.

What I do care about is that his fastball is his #1 pitch and he’s having trouble locating it. I’d like to see Connors or someone with this guy around the clock and figure out what went wrong with him between June of 2007 and October of 2008.

• Ivan says:

Exactly. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say work on pitches, and then when he does work on those pitches and does poorly then you are up in arms yelling he’s not progressing or etc.

• Reggie C. says:

Its no excuse for his FB having NO motion to it. Its straight as an arrow. You don’t work on another pitch if you’re purported plus 2 seamer doesn’t have any late movement to it. I swear this kid doesn’t have 1 money pitch.

• “Struggling for two straight years, making no progress? Looking like he’ll be in AAA for another full season at least.”

I disagree with that. Hughes will likely be given every opportunity to make the opening day roster as the 5th starter, and if he doesn’t, he’s probably still the first name up from Scranton.

It would take a bad spring, AND a mediocre season in Scranton, AND five other (and better and older) starters all performing well and staying healthy for the entire year for Phil to not make it back to the show in ’09.

10. Old Ranger says:

Let us hope the Yanks don’t pull a brain fart with Phil, like the Muts did with Kaz. As Mike and others have pointed out—he is only 22…with a lot of talent. And may I add IPK to that same projection list…I know, a lot of you have given up on IPK, I haven’t. IPK and Phil have talent (different styles), give them a chance to work things out.
    Any of you guys ever pitch above HS baseball, I have…it is not as easy as it looks. My fastball was so fast, I could throw it and catch it before it hit home plate…so, I understand IPK to some extent. If he works real hard to develop his control/command (like Moose) he can be an effective #3-4 starter, or better. Just my take, I know a lot of you disagree, so be it. 27/09.

11. Alan says:

Davidoff is an idiot, an article like this should come as a surprise to no one.