Oct

Rays White Sox ALDS Game 1

After fending off the Indians, Tigers, and Twins in three consecutive days to make the playoffs, the White Sox face off against the Rays, who are coming off a 97-win season, or the most wins in franchise history by 27. You have to admire Chicago’s entrance. To beat three different teams in three straight days is quite an accomplishment. Then again, none of that would have been necessary had they not been swept by the Twins a week ago.

On the pitching end, former Yanks Javy Vazquez goes for the Sox. He didn’t have a great year, posting a 4.67 ERA in 208.1 innings. He did strike out 200, though, while walking 71. His WHIP was 1.32, which is his highest mark since 2000. James Shields gets the call for the Rays. He tossed 215 innings this year to the tune of a 3.56 ERA. He’s not a strikeout artist, but his 4:1 K/BB ratio (on the nose) makes him a formidable starter.

The game starts at 2:30, so right about nowish. If you’re looking for a more Yankee-centered discussion, check out the last post on the Matt Holliday rumors.

Lineups:

6. Cliff Floyd, DH
7. Dioner Navarro, C
8. Gabe Gross, RF
9. Jason Bartlett, SS

Categories : Game Threads

1. Mike A. says:

First thing I need to do when I get home tonight is set my DVR. I forgot to do it yesterday and today, so I missed Gallarod-Hamels and now those fun to watch Rays. Blast.

2. E-ROC says:

It is great to know that Harold Reynolds is a part of the broadcast team.

Go White Sox! Griffey is going to have a monster series. ;)

3. Ben K. says:

I’m so glad we get to see yet another former Yankee who managed to be good after leaving New York on the mound today. Cashman is teh sucks for trading Javy.

4. E-ROC says:

On the first pitch, Longoria hits a blast to left field.

5. Jamal G. says:

First pitch Evan Longoria sees in a postseason game: Home Run.

Fucking A-Rod. ;)

6. Mike A. says:

That kid is all sorts of awesome. If it wasn’t for A-Rod, he’d be the best player in the division by 2010.

7. E-ROC says:

On ESPN.com, I’m watching Word on the Street: Panic at Wrigley, and it showed how fans are freaking out about the Cubs game one loss. Also, the clip showed a preacher blessing the Cubs clubhouse with holy water. Wow!

8. Ben K. says:

What happened to Peña? I’m following through Gameday…

• E-ROC says:

TBS broadcasters don’t know either. I did see Pena have a conversation with Maddon last inning.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Is the tilde necessary? Or are you showing off your typing skillz?

• Actually, how do you type it? That’s what I want to know.

Quoting from today’s New York Republican Post article on one of the things Joe Biden should do in order to win tonight’s debate against Palin:

“Lay off the Ivy League-sounding pronunciation of the names of foreign countries and their leaders.”

The sad thing is, they’re right, he probably will lose some voters simply by sounding too “smart”. The persistent strain of American anti-intellectualism is depressing and scary.

Now, what was I saying about how sabermetrics is voodoo science?

9. Rick in Boston says:

I’ll say this about Boston, the Sox fans are quiet right now. I think they’re trying to delude themselves enough to think that the sweat machine and mini-me can win a title this year.

10. Mike Pop says:

Wow DeWayne Wise

11. E-ROC says:

Wow, Wise hits a three-run homer on a line drive. Shields gave him a fastball and Wise killed it.

12. E-ROC says:

The White Sox sure aren’t lacking power.

13. Jamal G. says:

Three pitches; two dingers.

14. E-ROC says:

Evan is ridiculous right now.

15. Jamal G. says:

Evan Longoria hit that second Home Run (Curveball) flat-footed. I have only seen Alex Rodriguez do that.

16. Mike A. says:

Holy shit is that kid good. I may have overshot my “best non-A-Rod player in the division by 2010″ prediction.

17. UpStateYank says:

Javy Vazquez getting hit hard in the playoffs… somethings never change

18. AndrewYF says:

One of the most obvious ROY seasons.

19. UpStateYank says:

It landed a knife in my heart is what it did

20. Jamal G. says:

Heh, I was playing an online game of The Show yesterday, I was the Reds, and my opponent was the Mets.It was a pitcher’s duel throughout, I (Edison Volquez) held him to two runs through six innings; he (Johan Santana) held me to a single run through six. So what happens next? He has to bring in his bullpen to close out the final three frames, and I proceed to score seven runs over the final three innings to win 8-4.

Mets’ video game bullpen fail: http://failblog.files.wordpres.....n-fail.jpg

• Joey says:

some things never change, video game or not…

• Jamal G. says:

And these are the current Reds from the latest roster update. So that means no Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn or Brandon Phillips.

• Joey says:

was he without Wagner (not that it would matter that much)?

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah, no Bluetooth Hick. Updated rosters from September 29th.

• Joey says:

lol, unless Johan was completely outta steam he would have been better off leaving him in there until the end

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah, it surprised me as well. In the bottom of the sixth I issued an IBB to Brian Schneider to bring Santana to bat with a runner on third and two out. He kept him in, Santana made an out. Next inning is started by a single by Joe Keppinger, he takes out Santana. Didn’t see much wisdom in going batter-by-batter with Santana if he left him in to bat in the previous half-inning with a runner on third and two down.

• Mike A. says:

I haven’t played that game in a long as time. The season’s are far too long, and I’ve never really been one for simulating.

NHL 09 is where it’s at. I’ve got about 15 games left in my season, and I started the franchise like, 2 weeks ago. The games go by so fast, you can sit down for an hour and bang out 4. I’ve battling with like, 5 other teams for the final 2 playoff spots. It’s a blast.

• Jamal G. says:

I played the demo, it was fun (even though I allowed three goals in the only period)/ For some reason I just don’t have the urge to buy it.

I see what you mean about Madden. I’ve played it exclusively online and still have no urge to start a franchise. Other than baseball (and probably basketball. Can’t wait to get my hands on NBA 2K9), I have no interest in playing sports games against the computer.

I might just trade Madden in towards a purchase of NBA 2K9.

• Joey says:

love NHL games, but with classes (which I’m in one right now) I haven’t had much time to play any games. Have you tried NHL 2k9 or whatever? Heard it improved alot, although I’ve always been an EA guy

21. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

CLiff Floyd can crush foul balls.

22. Mike Pop says:

God harold reynolds sucks

23. Mike Pop says:

Man i guess we don’t have a shot at Longoria for A-rod anymore…ugh

24. Jamal G. says:

Evan Longoria’s first three at-bats in postseason play has produced three hits, three RBI and two Home Runs. All on just seven pitches. Nasty.

25. Mike Pop says:

These Rays are fo real !!!

26. Jamal G. says:

Harold Reynolds sounds like the token black guy on some second-rate sitcom.

“What am I doin’?

27. Mike A. says:

Did they ever figure out what happened to Pena?

28. Joey says:

freakin laptop battery doesn’t even last an hour 15 minutes anymore. piece of shit died on me in class while I was trying to keep track of the game! how dare it…

• Mike A. says:

My laptop is maybe 9 months old, and for the first like, 8 months the battery would last only about 2 hours. I was pissed, I couldn’t figure out why, and I thought it was broken or something. Then I figured out it was because I was jacking the screen brightness all the way up.

Now that I’ve stopped doing that, the battery lasts a good 4 hours.

• Joey says:

Mines going on 13 or 14 months, but the battery only lasted about 2 hours when I bought it and has steadily declined, but all the reviews I read about it before I got it were the batter life wasn’t great

29. Manimal says:

ST. PETERSBURG — Rays first baseman Carlos Pena left Thursday’s Game 1 of the American League Division Series against the White Sox prior to the third inning due to slightly blurred vision in his left eye.

Pena accidently scratched his eye at home on Wednesday night. The problem is not believed to be serious and he is expected to be back in the lineup for Game 2 Friday night.

Pena struck out swinging in against Javier Vazquez in the first inning, but played the field in the second inning. When the Rays took the field in the third, Willy Aybar was inserted at first base.

In his second season for the Rays in 2008, Pena hit .247 with 31 home runs and 102 RBIs. His 77 home runs over the course of the 2007-2008 seasons are second in the AL to Alex Rodriguez’s 89 over that period.

30. Manimal says:

Does Don Orsillo have to relate EVERYTHING to the redsox.

31. Mike Pop says:

That pitcher for the sox is nice

32. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Yeah, Griffey still has it. The other night when he threw the runner out at home against the Twins (even though they were testing his arm on a 200 ft. fly ball to center).
    Griffey is definitely retiring after this season, right?

33. E-ROC says:

Bush league celebration

34. E-ROC says:

Balfour would’ve beat the brakes off Cabrera if they ever fought.

35. Jamal G. says:

Orlando Cabrera is a little bitch, he’s always whining about something.

36. Mike A. says:

Balfour to Uribe: 95, 95, 95, 94
    Balfour to O-Cab: 96, 95, 97, 95, 96

That’s downright Jobanian right there.

37. Mike Pop says:

I think Balfour proves the importance of a dominant “8th inning guy” in the pen. Thats why the yankees should put Joba there if it shortens the game its better for the team…—–Steve Philips tonight on baseball tonight

38. Mike A. says:

They’re scared of Longoria now. Can’t say I blame ‘em.

39. Mike Pop says:

Chi-sox make a comeback here ?

40. Ben K. says:

This Tampa bullpen is pretty nasty.

41. Jamal G. says:

That’s a nice AB for Paul Konerko. Better finish, obviously.

42. Joey says:

I thought we were gonna have our first postseason replay, I had no idea where the hell that went